Rookie signings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rookie signings

DisturbedShifty

Peace out
Reaction score
So can someone tell me why rookies aren't signed the day after the draft is over? I mean there is a rookie cap in place. They know how much they are going to sign each one for and for how long.

The framework of deals is pretty much set, but the language of the contract still needs to be written. I read an article just tonight about how teams in the first round, mostly the top 10, are going to really push hard for offset language. You know why they now feel more optimistic they can get offset language in the deal? It is because Ireland and Aponte successfully got offset language in Tannehill's contract when all other teams failed in their negotiations. Other GMs and teams admire what the Dolphins were able to accomplish and now want to copy it this year.

What does offset language mean?

It has to do with guaranteed money remaining on the contract. If for some reason the Dolphins released Tannehill before the end of his rookie contract they would not owe him all the remaining guaranteed money.

For example if the rookie contract still calls for say $5 million guaranteed, but his new team gives him $3 million guaranteed, the Dolphins would only be on the hook for $2 million instead of the full $5 million. The new contract offests the orignal contract. If there was no offset language, in this hypothetical example, Tannehill would get $5 million from Miami and $3 million from his new team.

In the case of Tannehill it is likely pointless because he won't be released in the next three years. But say a team drafts a rookie early and is a complete failure out of the gate, it saves the team money and cap space when the player is released.

What does offset language mean?

Because so much of a top-end rookie contract is guaranteed money, if Team A releases a player who is still owed guaranteed salary and that player signs with Team B, Team A's obligation is reduced by the salary paid by Team B. With no offset language, the player gets the full amount from both teams.

It has to do with guaranteed money remaining on the contract. If for some reason the Dolphins released Tannehill before the end of his rookie contract they would not owe him all the remaining guaranteed money.

For example if the rookie contract still calls for say $5 million guaranteed, but his new team gives him $3 million guaranteed, the Dolphins would only be on the hook for $2 million instead of the full $5 million. The new contract offests the orignal contract. If there was no offset language, in this hypothetical example, Tannehill would get $5 million from Miami and $3 million from his new team.

In the case of Tannehill it is likely pointless because he won't be released in the next three years. But say a team drafts a rookie early and is a complete failure out of the gate, it saves the team money and cap space when the player is released.

kinda like justin blackmons contract, since he got caught using PEDs, he can be released and jags not have to pay him... but i highly doubt they will release him

kinda like justin blackmons contract, since he got caught using PEDs, he can be released and jags not have to pay him... but i highly doubt they will release him

That would be a different clause in the contract. And I do not believe Blackmon was using anything that would enhance his performance, at least not on the football field.

Right on Nubs. Thanks for that. :up:

Back
Top Bottom