Ross leaning toward keeping Sparano / Ireland if they continue to win?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Did anyone else catch Ross in the booth grinning from ear to ear after the Burnett INT return? I seriously think he will keep Ireland for sure, and might keep Sparano if he can be convinced that the early season woes were due to hamstring injuries and a shortened offseason. If nothing else, these blowout wins against contenders shows that the team is still fighting for the coach.

I am torn on the whole thing because I think Sparano is a decent coach, but limited. I think at this point its obvious that he can't get his team to win close games consistently. He seems to panic a bit when the games are too close. This is important if we ever hope to win a playoff game.

On the other hand, I also believe there is enough talent here not to go installing a completely different system and blowing up the whole thing by bringing in a regime that may have different philosophies.

It will be a tough call by Ross. And either way, half the fanbase will hate him for his decision.

2. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

Merge.

3. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

Has Ross ever said he was getting rid of Tony or Jeff? It will be a tough decision either way for him and fans.

4. overworkedirish

overworkedirish A True Fan Donator

I mean, unless THE GUY is sitting there waiting for us to take him as coach (a Gruden, Cowher, Fisher type), are we really all for change for the sake of change? I wanted Tony's head as much as anyone, and if the season continued the way it started, change for change's sake would be good. I'm not saying I want Tony to stay, I'm just saying, what is the better option here?

5. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

[video=youtube;6CPwOOK4nEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPwOOK4nEM[/video]

Ross=Brick,if he keeps Sparano & co.

6. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

7. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

We wanted two things, Luck and Tony fired. We lost out on Luck. And if we keep Tony? Oh, man..Anything is possible with this soap opera, haha.

8. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

Yep...my worst nightmare coming to fruition. Wonderful. Can wait for Sparano to blow a game or two every year and lose us close playoff games. Its gonna be great.

9. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

10. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

He does not come back, fellas. Ross is going to put his imprint on the team.

Tony should be commended for keeping the team focused and playing hard, but he is done.

11. Nublar7

You are probably right, but the decision for Ross is much tougher than it was a month ago.

12. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

13. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Yup. I look at it as props to Tony for playing hard and showing progress.

You know, Nubs, I said to my wife tonight, I wonder what Tony's regrets are as he drives home? He will never admit to having any, but it is human nature.

14. Nublar7

Fun fact. In his first three years(2008-2010) Sparano had beaten the opponent by 11+ points a total of four times. He has won four of the past five games this season by 11+ points. Impressive.

15. LennyV

LennyV Rookie

It is definately a lot tougher than it was a month ago.... A new HC / GM is definately going to want to bring in a lot of their guys ...which means cutting a lot of the current guys ( players and coaches) which means the owner will need to spend a lot of money without possibility of return on investment. I am sure Ross wants to win as that is the ultimate way for him to improve the value of his investment.... but is changing coaches really the correct action now ?
    Like Ireland... Sparano is just getting his first chance to do things his way without Parcells oversight..
    Who knows... with Parcell's wlking out like he did... it kind of leaves a number of questions about ..philosophy as to how much was his.. and how much did the current guys agree with it after a year or so..

16. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

If Sparano is the coach the next year.. I think I will go on vacation as its hard watching the team play with this fist pumping moron on the sidelines!!!

17. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

If we win 3 of the next 4(very possible), I think Ross will keep Sparano/ Ireland. That means the team will finish 7-2 after a 0-7 start.
    IMHO, Ross will keep the regime intact for another season. The players like Tony, the team is now on a roll. Why would he risk blowing it up? I think in his mind, a 7-9 season(closing strong) will be good enough to give him a reason to give Tony another shot.
    Frankly, I have nothing to say about it. It is Ross's call. At this point, I will just enjoy today's win.
    Like the game commentators said, the team is playing like they are 8-3, not 3-8.
    I think we will be able to get RGIII in the middle of the first round, or perhaps upgrade the safety position?

18. Cali Finfan

Cali Finfan A True Fan

This is kind of my thought but who knows maybe Tony and Jeff will convince Ross that their early season woes were due to the lockout and to give them another shot we will have to wait and see but one thing is for sure if Ross decides to keep them and they come out next year like they came out this year the fan base will turn to a lynching mob...

19. LennyV

LennyV Rookie

I am so tired of the fist pumping thing... seems to be over-blown... and watching him on the sidelines this year... not really seeing it after FGs..It's good to have a coach with some emotion.. and not acting like a bafoon in the media.

20. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

At his best he'll pull 9 or 10 wins and back into the playoffs (and immediately get ejected). That's 9-10 awesome Sundays per year! It's going to be awesomely mediocre!

21. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Sparano and Ireland being retained would be completely undeserved, and further anger and alienate an already irritated fanbase that already refuses to buy tickets.

SOMEONE on Ross' staff HAS to realize this. We can only hope.

22. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Would he come out and say the team sucks donkey **** if they actually did?

23. Kthurmus23

Kthurmus23 Tweet@KJoneZ13

I really think the seat is cooling on Sparano. People say they wont cheer for the Dolphins if Sparano is kept, the thing is if Ross keeps him it would be under the conditions that he draft an exciting QB prospect. Getting that new young exciting QB prospect I think would be enough to put butts in the seats for one more year see how Sparano does one more time. I think Sparano should go like many others but I can see reasons to want to keep him for another year as well. If the Fins keep winning it is going to be a tough call like it or not it isnt as OVER as many seem to think.

24. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I'm all for keeping Ireland soley based off his past offseason. He brought in alot of talent and a pretty damn good draft.

25. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 Perennial All-Pro

winning is what matters, i dont care who coaches them

26. Nublar7

He didn't have to say anything.

27. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

28. AllFinsAllDay

AllFinsAllDay A True Fan

whats the point of posting an empty stadium? i bet if you had a shot of AA Arena it would be half full as well even with Lebron and D-Wade, Miami is not really a sports town too much stuff to do.

Sheesh even when we made the playoffs in 08' we could not even sell out the stadium so its nothing new no matter who or what coach we have.

29. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E22 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

I probably was the biggest opponent of Sparano and Ross early in the season. But I begin to think that the Dolphins were chained by a bad QB. Since Moore found his groove and got more familiar with this offense the team is playing lights out even looking exciting in a loss (Dallas). The D woke up, the O woke up and even special teams picked it up a notch.

It feels like a huge weight came of the shoulders of an entire team when our offense suddenly showed life. Is everything perfect? Heck no but it looks to me like the team keeps on growing every week.

The biggest mistake I put on Sparano's shoulders now is that he was hung up on Henne. I am not sure why. Was it because Henne was a 2nd rounder? Was it that Ireland (essentially Sparano's boss) was trying to force Henne down our throats? Henne was his choice after all. Or were they just hoping that Henne will eventually become an NFL QB?
    Or was Sparano just being to nice? We all heard how dedicated he is to his players and how forgiving he is.

Sparano is probably wondering like everybody else what if Moore had a fair chance in the shortened offseason? Or what if they would have given more snaps in practice with the first teamers to Moore?

If the Dolphins go .500 the rest of the way Ross will give Sparano another look. A 6-3 finish would give Sparano a fair shot.
    With a 7-2 or 8-1 finish he'll give Sparano another year. And I can't blame him.

30. Lilseb93

My point is most of the fan base doesn't want Sparano here next year. Ross is a good business man; he knows this.

31. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Yeah, because that wouldn't cause all kinds of negative publicity. Ross was asked a question I'm sure and he responded with the right answer.

32. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

It would be a huge mistake if Sparano was brought back. Don't forget the 0-7 start, thats on him too.

Assuming they lose at least one more game, that would be 3 straight 7-9 or worse seasons. Thats not going t cut it.

33. Ricky_Fan34

Ricky_Fan34 Suns and Fins superfan

I like Tony as a person, I really do, but the bottom line is you really can't have losing seasons 3 straight years in the NFL and not get fired, particularly when your team has expectations. Sparano has been a pretty awful coach for the most part, but the one thing he can pride himself on is the fact that the team has not and will not quit on him. Pretty amazing he's been able to keep it together even after the disaster to start the season. That's really the only case that can be made for him, and I don't think it's enough to save him.

At this point, I kinda think you have to make a change regardless of whether or not we win out. Fact is you don't just start 0-7 because you had a string of bad luck. Coaching played a big part in that and that probably cost us a chance to still be in the hunt at this point.

34. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think it shows that Tony is coming into his own. Without having Parcells breathing over his shoulder, he's starting to embrace some small changes from the archaic Parcells philosophy

35. WesternNYDolfan

C'mon you're a fan of all the Miami teams, you know noone goes to sporting events out there...even if the team is doing well, they still don't show up until halftime.

Ross has to realize this, no matter what the fans aren't going to come to the games. Might as well keep this thing together, go for a Super Bowl, and he can make his money growing a national fan base behind a great team coached by one of the best iin the league, Tony Sparano.

36. Lilseb93

Winning brings the fans. We've been mediocre for a long time. It's understandable. Most fans don't like Sparano. I respect your opinion, but I think Ross knows he needs to get the fans excited again. Every other Miami team is bringing in a good attendance because they have bright futures and are winning.

37. WesternNYDolfan

C'mon? Are you serious?

Marlins games are laughable

I see nearly as much if not more empty seats for "The U"
    and even though the Heat were the most exciting team in the NBA last year, there would be tons of empty seats throughout most of the first half, and when you were in the finals the opposing teams fans took over your building...a fan base (Dallas Mavs) that isn't really known for 'travelling well'.

I mean if you are a realist, you can see that.

I don't mean this as a slight to the city of Miami either. Hell I love the city, I love the Dolphins, I love South Beach, I love every time I visit Miami.

But one thing Miami lacks is a real strong supportive fan base.

We can agree to disagree on this one because you likely have a small case of cognitive dissonance and city pride, which is totally understandable.

38. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

With every meaningless win, Sparano and Ireland keeping their jobs becomes more likely. What a ****ed up situation we're in. As he showed in the offseason, Ross just wants an excuse not to have to make hard choices. Another 7-9 season was a much worse possible scenario than 2 or 3 wins. Bleh.

39. Lilseb93

When they are winning, places are rocking. The Heat were always solid in attendance about in the middle. Now that the Panthers are winning, they are bringing in crowds. With a whole new beginning for the Fish, the fan base is excited. The new stadium is where the Orange Bowl used to be. The Orange Bowl brought in a lot of people because it was closer to people and business. Sun Life is in the middle of nowhere really.

So my point really is that the fan bases are excited. It's a new era for the Marlins. The Panthers have a bright future and are in first place. The Heat are title favorites. It gets people coming to games. IDK if the Marlins will sell well, but I'm confident it will be solid. It's really hard to sell when most people in South Florida are immigrants or northerners.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  40. WesternNYDolfan

Here's my point, in a great sports city, a team with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh, that everyone around the country is talking about; solid attendance would be a HUGE disappointment.

Yea, you guys come out for playoff games and stuff. Miami fans are the epitome of the fair weather fan.

My point is, if Ross is a smart man; he would be well suited to realize Continuity and our current head coach will be winners before any new coach. So yea, he could get a new coach, and possibly blow everything up; then get a early spike in attendance, until you guys get bored with another rebuilding project and go ride your jet skis on Sunday's instead...oRRRRRRRRR you can keep Sparano and create a culture around a coach that is doing a great job growing into his position and has the talent and coaching around him to be good for the next couple years

IMHO

41. Lilseb93

I think it's unfair to simply say Miami fans are the epitome of the fair weather fan. There's many reasons why they have a hard time selling. It's not your typical city. I think San Diego struggles to sell tickets well too. There's so many other things to do, people are really struggling, and so on. When they are winning, they see the point in spending the money. If the team sucks, they go to the beach. It's not like Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, ect.

Normally I agree that we need stability at HC, but I don't think he's the guy. He's been here for 4 seasons with 3 losing seasons. I think we're a young aggressive coach and a young QB from being a playoff team.

42. cyoung

cyoung Well-Known Member

If he does come back, at least I'll have the Marlins to root for. They're going finally doing things right.

43. Lilseb93

It's a very exciting time to be a Marlins fan right now. :woot:

44. WesternNYDolfan

I think sometimes, I come down hard on Miami fans. Trust me, I know the region was crushed financially during the mortgage meltdown, and I know buying tickets to go to a game doesn't fit in many peoples budgets at this point. and Miami definitely isn't the only place experiencing this problem. Fact is watching the game at home is a better deal, and more comfortable. But, I don't think firing Sparano is the answer to fixing Miami's attendance problems, those problems are deeper than Tony.

I do however, feel Tony is building a juggernaut and if they keep him around the attendance will get better as they win more. Give him another year.

45. Lilseb93

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Funny thing is that I'm a big Miami fan, but I'm all about the 561 (Palm Beach). It's OK if you're hard on me. I want to hear your opinion.

46. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

Regarding attendance, this is a state of transplants. People from all over the country come to live here. Not just New Yorkers, as some might think (Although there are a ton), and they bring their allegiances with them. That's why none of our teams will ever have perfect attendance. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, though.

47. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

i think its going to change in a couple of years.

with miami heat and lebron james

marlins and there new stadium and the new star shortstop signing in reyes ( maybe albert the machine too )

dolphins gonna be promising next year and have a "star" player in reggie bush who will sell jerseys and tickets to come watch him.

48. Pinkboy

Pinkboy A True Fan

reggie bush doesn't have it to sway anything.

The Dolphins need a "star Quarterback" not reggie bush if they want to sell jerseys and tickets.. and to be a playoff contender again.

As well as bringing in a much better head coach.

Period.

49. Joe from WY

Joe from WY Guest

nytemarrr senareeeyooo...lol

50. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

How is Tony building a juggernaut? We're 4-8. I guess Cleveland is a juggernaut too then?