Ross Tucker on the Impact of Coaching | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross Tucker on the Impact of Coaching

Ross Tucker said:
There is a palpable difference in an NFL locker room between a team that believes in the head coach and the message he is delivering and one that doesn't. I know it all too well, unfortunately. I played for five teams during my seven seasons and was coached by giants of the game like Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Joe Gibbs and Marty Schottenheimer. I was also coached by some who did not have a great command of the team, such as Dave Campo, Romeo Crennel and Steve Spurrier. The difference is like night and day.

In fairness to Campo, Crennel and Spurrier, it is always tougher for new coaches to establish credibility among the players than it is for guys who already have been there and done that.
A key reason to hire someone like Jon Gruden versus an inexperienced coach.

Our success in 2008 was definitely in some part due to the fact that the players bought into Sparano/Parcells. That team wasn't extremely talented, but they overachieved in a major way mostly through discipline and belief, similar to what the Niners are starting to do. It all fell apart when Sparano couldn't take that into the next season...never really recovered from there, maybe partly due to the QB position, but also due to his own flaws.

Our success in 2008 was definitely in some part due to the fact that the players bought into Sparano/Parcells. That team wasn't extremely talented, but they overachieved in a major way mostly through discipline and belief, similar to what the Niners are starting to do. It all fell apart when Sparano couldn't take that into the next season...never really recovered from there, maybe partly due to the QB position, but also due to his own flaws.
I think that was due to the fact that the regime was seen as in command and in place for a while, since it had just been hired and given a boatload of power by Wayne Huizenga.

The other major factor that year was a prototype player-leader in Chad Pennington, who also had a monster year play-wise.

Notice neither of those things is present this year. Sparano's power has been totally undermined, and there is no player-leader who's playing well.

Makes me wish we got Harbaugh.

A key reason to hire someone like Jon Gruden versus an inexperienced coach.
Mike McCarthy and Mike Tomlin, the coaches in the last super bowl, would probably see that a little differently.

Look at the guys he mentions as not having command of the locker room...Campo, Crennel and Spurrier...none of them have a persona of authority, none of them really exude leadership.

Look as someone like Harbaugh...that team is buying in and he didn't even have a full off season to work with them. Hue Jackson seems to be doing well with the Raiders as well.

Ross Tucker from ESPN hits the nail on the head regarding the impact of coaching. I think Sparano and staff represent the antithesis of Tucker's argument.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7087888/nfl-yes-coaching-matters

Jim Schwartz and Chan Gailey in Detroit and Buffalo, respectively, are also good examples. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trio of Gailey, Harbaugh and Schwartz finished 1-2-3 in voting for COY, the winner probably being determined by which team goes the furthest in the playoffs.

I think that Sparano isn't the only veteran HC who's struggling this season. Andy Reid and Jabba the Jest are both coming under fire because their supposedly more talented teams aren't playing up to expectations.

Jim Schwartz and Chan Gailey in Detroit and Buffalo, respectively, are also good examples. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trio of Gailey, Harbaugh and Schwartz finished 1-2-3 in voting for COY, the winner probably being determined by which team goes the furthest in the playoffs.

I think that Sparano isn't the only veteran HC who's struggling this season. Andy Reid and Jabba the Jest are both coming under fire because their supposedly more talented teams aren't playing up to expectations.
Chan Gailey is a retread. He was head coach of the Cowboys from 2002-2007.

Quarterback play is huge in coaching sucess..

Now can a coach put his Qb in better posistion to win? Yes. Chad Pennington was not asked to do a whole lot..He was a great leader..He managed games..

That is not to say he didnt make great plays now and then cause he did..There were times when he was asked to shoulder the load and he played pretty well.. Home against NE was a great example of that..He got into a shoot out with Cassel but ended up losing..It happens.. He did play great. Against the Ravens tho in the playoffs not so much...

Miami has talent. Thats pretty clear, they are just not executing. Thats where Tony is to blame..

I think Harbaugh gets COY, just cause he is a rookie head coach in the league, the others have had time to get familer with there players.

we are 5 games in, relax please.

IMHO It is right there in the second paragraph... "It's not just the head coaches. Coordinators and position coaches are critically important as well because they design the schemes and teach the techniques. Their effectiveness in that regard can make a gigantic difference".

To me that is some of the problem with an inexperienced HC, his ability to find the teachers that can make a difference. Let's face there is more than 0-4 talent on this team, there have been chances to win every game, but there has always been a critical mistake cost them that chance. That's coaching, or lack of.

Mike McCarthy and Mike Tomlin, the coaches in the last super bowl, would probably see that a little differently.
For every one of them, there are five or ten Cam Camerons and Tony Sparanos.

I don't think you play those odds when you have a Jon Gruden available.

One thing you can't say about Chan Gaily is he's too conservative. Conservatism is probably a cancer to a team and Irelnad/Sparano are as conservative as they come. Conservative and winning is only slightly better for team morale than being aggressive and losing imo and being conservative and losing is a kiss of death for a locker room.

Players are more likely to rally behind aggressive play calling even if it might seem to be a little too aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom