Running Backs Round 1 - 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running Backs Round 1 - 6

HoneyB

Active Roster
Reaction score
BUMPING THIS UP. IT'S DAY TWO. Tre Mason? DaVonta Freeman? Terrance West?

Below are some running back prospects through the 6th round.

The order of players is in accordance with CBS Sports. It has shifted over the past few weeks, but this is where it stands today. NFL.com has some players going higher. The comments I've typed in are consensus observations I've noted over the past couple of months from CBS, NFL, Kiper, Walter Football, SB Nation, ESPN Fantasy, USA today, LastWordOnSports, Russell Lande and Aaron Wilson.

2nd Round:
Photos are in order.

2543743-1.jpg
2543682-1.jpg
2543502-1.jpg
2543603-1.jpg

Carlos Hyde6-0, 230lbsOhio State
(Big 10)
Country strong, push the pile dominator. Good short yardage back. Option in passing game.
Bishop Sankey5-10, 209 lbsWashington
(PAC12)
Instinctive, low to the ground hard runner, who can be used as a complimentary back in a zone scheme. Can pass-catch and pass block. Only average explosion. Misses cuts at times.
Tre Mason5-10, 107lbsAuburn
(SEC)
Compares to Ray Rice. Stout runner, with compact build, low pad level. Has nose for the end zone. Mediocre running up the middle, but movement skills are elite, cutting and spinning. Gets YAC. Productive.
Jeremy Hill6-1, 233lbsLSU
(SEC)
A better athlete than LeGarrette Blount. Powerful downhill runner who can burst through hole or easily skip to another. Effective receiver, long arms and soft hands. Lazy in pass protection. Comes from Pro-style running attack. Can handle a workload. .

3rd and 4th Rounds combined:
Photos are in order.

2543565-1.jpg
2543664-1.jpg
2543551-1.jpg
2543559-1.jpg

2543770-1.jpg
2543583-1.jpg
2543715-1.jpg

Andre Williams5-11, 230lbsBoston College
(ACC)
Most punishing back in the draft, old school power back. At his best following blockers and between the tackles. No burst or vision, but can trample though defenders and get YAC. Has no receiving skills at all.
Terrance West5-9, 230lbsTowson
(DIV IAA)
Private workout with Dolphins. Compares to Joique Bell or Alfred Morris. Lack of burst and speed on edge, but a chore to bring down, wears down defenses. Decisive one-cut runner tremendous in short yardage. Mentored by Bernard Pierce. Lots of tread on the tires (780 carries in 3 seasons).
Ka”Deem Carey5-9, 207lbsArizona
(PAC 12)
Compares to Ahmad Bradshaw or LeSean McCoy. Played against physical defenses. Great Burst and cutting ability, slashing back routinely picking up chunk yardage in zone offense. Not a thumper, but legit, can start. Good in pass-catching and pass protection. Good all-around back.
Lache Seastrunk5-10, 201lbsBaylor (Big 12)Productive zone runner who took advantage of offense with huge running lanes, featuring fly sweeps and lateral runs. Fast and athletic, but concern if he can translate to the NFL and run between the tackles or have toughness.
Charles Sims6-10, 214lbsW.Virginia (Big 12)Upright slasher. Can be playmaker in a zone offense. Polished receiver. Doesn’t display enough power for his size.
Devonta Freeman5-8,206lbsFlorida State (ACC)Was the Seminoles most consistent back in stable of tough runners. Lots of scouts like him may go higher. Very good burst through the hole. Small player shimmies through tight spots, makes difficult catches and is good in pass protection.
Jerick McKinnon5-9, 209lbsGeorgia (DIV IAA)Transitioned from QB to RB so may need to develop. Real burst out of backfield. Lead the bench press at the combine. Strength will help with YAC. Real sleeper back.

5th and 6th Rounds:
Photos are in order.

2543773-1.jpg
2543570-1.jpg
2543550-1.jpg
2543638-1.jpg

2543655-1.jpg
2549990-1.jpg

James White5-9, 204lbsWisconsin
(Big 10)
Dolphins worked him out. Likely never more than a change of pace back, undersized with short arms and small hands. Limited power. Shifty.
Storm Johnson6-0, 209lbsUCF
(AAC)
Compares to Daniel Thomas (per NFL.com). Big runner with enough burst. Has fumbled and gets tripped up at times. Needs to improve in pass protection.
Isaiah Crowell5-11, 224lbsAlabama State
(DIV IAA)
Legal troubles and character concerns. Hard runner, good vision and strength. Wanes late in games, can be unmotivated. Not interested in pass protecting.
De”Anthony Thomas5-9, 174lbsOregon
(PAC 12)
Luxury pick for a team, compares to Tavon Austin. Big time sprinter speed. Lacks size and strength. (NFL.com however, projects him as high as the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] round.)
Tyler Gaffney6-0, 220lbsStanford
(PAC 12)
Split his time with baseball. Only average quickness to the hole, but grinds out tough yards and processes information quickly to display good vision and instincts. Good hands.
Rajion Neal5-11, 220lbsTennessee (SEC)Zone running back, average power and tackle breaking ability, no YAC. Can catch and block well.

There are other prospects that fall within these rounds, but for various reasons they didn't make CBS's top list of players. For example, Marion Grice, who may be the most advanced pass-catcher of all the backs, but a late season injury kept him out of the senior bowl, and he didn't do field work at the combine. May go as high as the 4th round.

In a perfect world, my pick is Carlos Hyde, but he would probably not be the best fit for our scheme, anyway. I'm hoping we can pick up one of these running backs so we can cut Daniel Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like McKinnon.

Yes, he's going to be good. He may need some time though. Small school, doesn't have a lot of size, but he's got some real burst out of the backfield which is important when you're transitioning from college to the NFL, you have to hit that line fast. Great senior bowl., and flew through his tests at the combine. We'd definitely have a shot at him because rounds 4 and beyond I expect Hickey would consider a RB.

Carlos Hyde. Proven production from a big school. He would be our starting back from day #1

Yes, he's going to be good. He may need some time though. Small school, doesn't have a lot of size, but he's got some real burst out of the backfield which is important when you're transitioning from college to the NFL, you have to hit that line fast. Great senior bowl., and flew through his tests at the combine. We'd definitely have a shot at him because rounds 4 and beyond I expect Hickey would consider a RB.

He reminds me a lot of MJD. He's a thickly built little guy, and he's a dynamic and powerful runner. He doesn't have a lot of experience in pass pro, but he's a very good lead blocker, and he has the strength to excel in pass pro. We have Moreno to do the dirty work while McKinnon picks up the nuances of the position, but he's a bright player and an elite athlete. I think he's a great gamble in the 4th or 5th.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Hill's the best RB in the draft, but Hyde is the top back of the 2nd tier. I'd be happy with either.

I'll take Sims or West in the fourth and be very happy. I wonder how Hickey views the need at the position.. I'd say it needs to be addressed in some way in the draft.

I'll take Sims or West in the fourth and be very happy. I wonder how Hickey views the need at the position.. I'd say it needs to be addressed in some way in the draft.

I do wonder about West, if the Dolphins are interested or not. Scouts are a little concerned about his lack of initial burst from the backfield, but he is well-built, kind of squat and thick, and is pretty shifty. Since the Dolphins seem to want to run by committee this may be an option for them.

Terrance West attracted 22 teams to see his workout at Towson. He's a little 5'9", 230 lb truck and a huge load to bring down. Hard to evaluate his massive number of TDs against weaker competition, but the word is definitely out that he is a stud.

Terrance West attracted 22 teams to see his workout at Towson. He's a little 5'9", 230 lb truck and a huge load to bring down. Hard to evaluate his massive number of TDs against weaker competition, but the word is definitely out that he is a stud.

I saw on the NFL channel where they said he is perfect for a ZBS. If we can actually manage that this year with our OL, West would be my guy. :-)

Lots of good RBs will be available. Some are probably going to drop further than expected. I think that we will get one - maybe round 3 or 4.

i don't know how anyone can evaluate the running backs from last year when we couldn't block anyone, plus we just added moreno. we much much bigger needs than rb or wr.

Back
Top Bottom