Running Backs Round 1 - 6

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HoneyB, May 4, 2014.

1. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

BUMPING THIS UP. IT'S DAY TWO. Tre Mason? DaVonta Freeman? Terrance West?

Below are some running back prospects through the 6th round.

The order of players is in accordance with CBS Sports. It has shifted over the past few weeks, but this is where it stands today. NFL.com has some players going higher. The comments I've typed in are consensus observations I've noted over the past couple of months from CBS, NFL, Kiper, Walter Football, SB Nation, ESPN Fantasy, USA today, LastWordOnSports, Russell Lande and Aaron Wilson.

2nd Round:
    Photos are in order.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 631"]

Carlos Hyde
    6-0, 230lbs
    Ohio State
    (Big 10)
    Country strong, push the pile dominator. Good short yardage back. Option in passing game.

Bishop Sankey
    5-10, 209 lbs
    Washington
    (PAC12)
    Instinctive, low to the ground hard runner, who can be used as a complimentary back in a zone scheme. Can pass-catch and pass block. Only average explosion. Misses cuts at times.

Tre Mason
    5-10, 107lbs
    Auburn
    (SEC)
    Compares to Ray Rice. Stout runner, with compact build, low pad level. Has nose for the end zone. Mediocre running up the middle, but movement skills are elite, cutting and spinning. Gets YAC. Productive.

Jeremy Hill
    6-1, 233lbs
    LSU
    (SEC)
    A better athlete than LeGarrette Blount. Powerful downhill runner who can burst through hole or easily skip to another. Effective receiver, long arms and soft hands. Lazy in pass protection. Comes from Pro-style running attack. Can handle a workload. .
    [/TABLE]

3rd and 4th Rounds combined:
    Photos are in order.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 643"]

Andre Williams
    5-11, 230lbs
    Boston College
    (ACC)
    Most punishing back in the draft, old school power back. At his best following blockers and between the tackles. No burst or vision, but can trample though defenders and get YAC. Has no receiving skills at all.

Terrance West
    5-9, 230lbs
    Towson
    (DIV IAA)
    Private workout with Dolphins. Compares to Joique Bell or Alfred Morris. Lack of burst and speed on edge, but a chore to bring down, wears down defenses. Decisive one-cut runner tremendous in short yardage. Mentored by Bernard Pierce. Lots of tread on the tires (780 carries in 3 seasons).

Ka”Deem Carey
    5-9, 207lbs
    Arizona
    (PAC 12)
    Compares to Ahmad Bradshaw or LeSean McCoy. Played against physical defenses. Great Burst and cutting ability, slashing back routinely picking up chunk yardage in zone offense. Not a thumper, but legit, can start. Good in pass-catching and pass protection. Good all-around back.
    [/TABLE]

Lache Seastrunk
    5-10, 201lbs
    Baylor (Big 12)
    Productive zone runner who took advantage of offense with huge running lanes, featuring fly sweeps and lateral runs. Fast and athletic, but concern if he can translate to the NFL and run between the tackles or have toughness.

Charles Sims
    6-10, 214lbs
    W.Virginia (Big 12)
    Upright slasher. Can be playmaker in a zone offense. Polished receiver. Doesn’t display enough power for his size.

Devonta Freeman
    5-8,206lbs
    Florida State (ACC)
    Was the Seminoles most consistent back in stable of tough runners. Lots of scouts like him may go higher. Very good burst through the hole. Small player shimmies through tight spots, makes difficult catches and is good in pass protection.

Jerick McKinnon
    5-9, 209lbs
    Georgia (DIV IAA)
    Transitioned from QB to RB so may need to develop. Real burst out of backfield. Lead the bench press at the combine. Strength will help with YAC. Real sleeper back.
    [/TABLE]

5th and 6th Rounds:
    Photos are in order.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

James White
    5-9, 204lbs
    Wisconsin
    (Big 10)
    Dolphins worked him out. Likely never more than a change of pace back, undersized with short arms and small hands. Limited power. Shifty.

Storm Johnson
    6-0, 209lbs
    UCF
    (AAC)
    Compares to Daniel Thomas (per NFL.com). Big runner with enough burst. Has fumbled and gets tripped up at times. Needs to improve in pass protection.

Isaiah Crowell
    5-11, 224lbs
    Alabama State
    (DIV IAA)
    Legal troubles and character concerns. Hard runner, good vision and strength. Wanes late in games, can be unmotivated. Not interested in pass protecting.

De”Anthony Thomas
    5-9, 174lbs
    Oregon
    (PAC 12)
    Luxury pick for a team, compares to Tavon Austin. Big time sprinter speed. Lacks size and strength. (NFL.com however, projects him as high as the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] round.)
    [/TABLE]

Tyler Gaffney
    6-0, 220lbs
    Stanford
    (PAC 12)
    Split his time with baseball. Only average quickness to the hole, but grinds out tough yards and processes information quickly to display good vision and instincts. Good hands.

Rajion Neal
    5-11, 220lbs
    Tennessee (SEC)
    Zone running back, average power and tackle breaking ability, no YAC. Can catch and block well.
    [/TABLE]

There are other prospects that fall within these rounds, but for various reasons they didn't make CBS's top list of players. For example, Marion Grice, who may be the most advanced pass-catcher of all the backs, but a late season injury kept him out of the senior bowl, and he didn't do field work at the combine. May go as high as the 4th round.

In a perfect world, my pick is Carlos Hyde, but he would probably not be the best fit for our scheme, anyway. I'm hoping we can pick up one of these running backs so we can cut Daniel Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  2. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I like McKinnon.

3. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Yes, he's going to be good. He may need some time though. Small school, doesn't have a lot of size, but he's got some real burst out of the backfield which is important when you're transitioning from college to the NFL, you have to hit that line fast. Great senior bowl., and flew through his tests at the combine. We'd definitely have a shot at him because rounds 4 and beyond I expect Hickey would consider a RB.

4. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Carlos Hyde. Proven production from a big school. He would be our starting back from day #1

5. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He reminds me a lot of MJD. He's a thickly built little guy, and he's a dynamic and powerful runner. He doesn't have a lot of experience in pass pro, but he's a very good lead blocker, and he has the strength to excel in pass pro. We have Moreno to do the dirty work while McKinnon picks up the nuances of the position, but he's a bright player and an elite athlete. I think he's a great gamble in the 4th or 5th.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Hill's the best RB in the draft, but Hyde is the top back of the 2nd tier. I'd be happy with either.

6. JakeMcAwful

JakeMcAwful Irish Dolphan

I'll take Sims or West in the fourth and be very happy. I wonder how Hickey views the need at the position.. I'd say it needs to be addressed in some way in the draft.

7. ozman

ozman Rookie

I want west!!!

8. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

I do wonder about West, if the Dolphins are interested or not. Scouts are a little concerned about his lack of initial burst from the backfield, but he is well-built, kind of squat and thick, and is pretty shifty. Since the Dolphins seem to want to run by committee this may be an option for them.

9. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Terrance West attracted 22 teams to see his workout at Towson. He's a little 5'9", 230 lb truck and a huge load to bring down. Hard to evaluate his massive number of TDs against weaker competition, but the word is definitely out that he is a stud.

10. SWS84

SWS84 A True Fan

I saw on the NFL channel where they said he is perfect for a ZBS. If we can actually manage that this year with our OL, West would be my guy. :)

11. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Tre Mason #1

J. Hill #2

K. Carey #3

Get one of these three.

12. RkyDaMan34

RkyDaMan34 Well-Known Member

Hill hands down....

13. spiketex

Lots of good RBs will be available. Some are probably going to drop further than expected. I think that we will get one - maybe round 3 or 4.

14. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I'm preferential to Sankey, West, & White.

15. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

i don't know how anyone can evaluate the running backs from last year when we couldn't block anyone, plus we just added moreno. we much much bigger needs than rb or wr.

16. jnewmant

jnewmant Hit folks and like it!

Jeremy hill is my pick, if we can manage a trade down to pick up an extra second rounder I'd draft best o lineman available wr and then hill

17. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I haven't looked at RBs much, but we absolutely need one. And I don't mean we need one as a backup, I mean wee need one that is the 1A to Moreno's 1B. Miller and DT should only be playing when we are up 45-0 at halftime.

18. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

The Storm Johnson comparison to Daniel Thomas made me laugh. For one, Storm has speed. Secondly, Thomas is 20 pounds heavier. Thirdly, Johnson has shake and bake, where Thomas just has...nothing. There's not even a comparison there.

19. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I'll take Freeman in the fourth. Huge heart, great work ethic, hits the hole very fast, team player.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

20. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Good thread HB. Interesting "Tuna tid-bit" from everyone's favorite former football Czar earlier today. The diminished interest in RB's from the NFL is largely based on what College's now offer coming into the league. In years, gone by, there were the wishbone teams, USC' great RB's, as well as those from the Big Ten, etc. Those days age gone.

Now, it's mostly the spread O with little fast guys being developed at RB. The same can be said on the OL. Most come in as being developed in pass blocking, and not on the run, a complete change from years ago.

21. Digital

Digital Starter

Well I may be alone on this one, but I'm a bona fide Lache Seastrunk fan.

I would be very happy to grab him in the 4th round. He isn't Barry Sanders or Ray Rice, but you can see a little bit of each in his play style. Seastrunk should become a good pro. I definitely think he makes the transition.

Tre Mason will be one of the top 3 backs taken IMHO. I will not be surprised if he is the first RB taken.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

22. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

Sankey would be awesome in round 2

23. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

He's a quality player. Even rated 10th, he's got everything you need. I think these smaller players just scare people. I prefer size in the NFL, also, but if you're not looking to draft a RB high, then there are backs like Freeman who can get the job done, even if it's in a rotation. Check out SB Nation, they used Freeman as a textbook example for two important abilities for running backs: a) Pass protecting b) Decisiveness and Burst through the Hole.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/3/5576958/nfl-draft-2014-evaluating-running-backs

"Devonta Freeman is a skilled pass protector, and it's one of the reasons he emerged as the top dog in Florida State's talented backfield. As for burst through the hole, this is related to suddenness and first-step explosion, and can be a huge difference-maker. Florida State's Freeman again provides a few excellent examples of both concepts."

24. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Wide receivers, tight ends and running backs are the players who score touchdowns. The way I look at it, if a team can't score more than 7 points in two games, with the playoffs on the line, against their own division rivals, then something is wrong in that area. It's not just linemen. Lineman are the backbone, and we are shoring it up.

25. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I won't be surprised either. Makes no sense how a special talent like that can be allowed to slide. I keep seeing Mason rated 3rd to 5th among backs and wonder what I'm missing. A squat guy like that with powerful legs and a fearless pinball running style fits perfectly in the league these days. He can give you 5 carries or 25 carries or anything in between.

I still go back to that late touchdown run against Florida State, when the best defense in the country was assigned to protect a national championship lead and Mason effortlessly ruined it. Unfortunately for Auburn, it was like their version of the Benny Malone run against Oakland in 1974. Too much. Too soon.

26. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I don't know how you left out Adam Muema.

It's criminal if we don't draft him. That would be daily entertainment.

Of course, he's promised to the Seahawks.

27. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

I've had a mancrush on Mason for a while now.

[video=youtube;GRCG939VMmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRCG939VMmM[/video]

I'm not quite as high on Hill as everyone else seems to be. At 6'2 he runs a bit upright; gives defenders a big target. I think he could break more tackles if he ran with a lower center of gravity, which is part of the reason I like Tre so much. I think he runs with great balance.

28. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

I'd love any of these top backs. But Mason sliding was part of the evolution of these rankings. He started out as #1 but slid. Bigger players were moving up the charts. Durability is a concern, and he has a wrist fracture right now that scouts were saying will hold him out of camp...Mason said it wasn't true, he wouldn't need surgery.

Plenty of tape showing him breaking big runs, but there's also a lot of tape showing him getting run down from behind by a linebacker, or tackled after he hit the hole. (See gif below). So some of those big runs in college may be bottled up in the NFL. If you can get a runner with bigger size, teams covet that. But who knows...there's so much smokescreen.

[​IMG]

The reason I like running backs like Hyde, is because he is just so dominating. The reason I like Jeremy Hill, is for the total package (size, burst from the backfield, pass protecting ability). These types of players don't have to come off the field too often. But it's up to the teams, the backs taken in this draft won't necessarily go in this order. Mason could be first off the board, or a few may go ahead of him. We'll see.

29. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I've lowered my opinion on Hill somewhat. I was never thrilled with him but I preferred Hill above Hyde. Now I would have it reversed.

30. rob19

I'm not sure I would consider that getting "run down". The linebacker was pretty perpendicular to Mason on that play, and was able to disengage because #50 who tried to block him threw an absolute patty cake block.

To me, getting run down is being ahead of a defender and that defender being fast enough to chase you down from behind. I'm certainly not arguing that Mason is a speed merchant by any means, nor do I think that's part of his appeal, I just don't think that was the best example.

31. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Is Gillislee a write-off at this point?

I'd like to think we're not in the market for a RB but Lazor might feel like he wants his own version of Shady McCoy here in Miami.

32. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Looks like Gillislee is a JAG.

My guess is the Dolphins will muddle through with mediocre backs the next couple years, and Philbin will still stick with Miller, envisioning springing him free in a zone blocking scheme that will eventually work.....but if I was GM, I would pick up a premium RB, regardless if it's this year or next, and rebuild with him.

As far as Lazor goes, he's stuck with the players Hickey and Philbin will give him. I think he's going to have zero input with decision-making in this draft. Lazor's biggest impact will be what he can to do improve Ryan Tannehill, and if he can make Philbin's existing scheme work better.

33. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Not a specific example of getting run down from behind, but I included this: "or tackled after he hit the hole."

He's gone down after contact more than some scouts would like, I suppose. There were some big runs left on the field. So, you have to factor in that NFL defenses will be bigger and faster.

By the way, I just saw Freeman on Omar's man crush list, and we all like Freeman I think...may be a chance we can pick him up today.

34. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

in the second round box: CARLOS HYDE. but jeremy hill is right there also. either one for me. off field concerns made me choose hyde. no issue, i would take hill.

third round box: KA'DEEM CARY.

fourth round box: DEVONTA FREEMAN.

fifth round box: DE'ANTHONY THOMAS. [one of my fav players in the draft and the kind of shifty, all around, versitile playmakers we have been missing.]

6th round box: TYLER GAFFNEY.

35. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

If I'm the GM, I'd hold off until next year. Really good class expected to come out.

36. spiketex

Sorry - I'm foreign, I have never heard someone described as a jag. Please explain.
    My hunch is it means that he is average or underwhelming, but he has not been given much opportunity to show what he can do.
    The RBs available look a lot more exciting this year. Lots of value appears to be available.

37. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Yeah I don't think Lazor will have any real influence, more his constant gushing of McCoy will have an osmosis like effect.

And like Spiketex, I have no idea what JAG means.

38. rob19

JAG = Just Another Guy

39. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Give me Mason i don't think he goes in the 2nd due to the wrist concerns might slide to the 3rd. Mason is also my man crush. McKinnon is right behind him. McKinnon is strong fast well built everything you want but he played option qb. So he goes lower then he otherwise would

40. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Bump up. It's day two time.