Rushing D looks great! Now how should we use Matt Roth? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rushing D looks great! Now how should we use Matt Roth?

catch22

New Mexico Fin Fan
Reaction score
Our rushing D looks stout so far this season. we are currently the number 2 ranked rushing D and have held teams to 61 yards per game. This stat appears so far to be pretty solid considering we have been up against some pretty good RB's with different styles including Turner, Sproles and Jackson.

So I am curious what you guys think we will/should do with Matt Roth assuming he is healthy when get gets off the PUP list? (which I believe will be week 7@NO) We also have 2 proven vets with Porter and Taylor and a promising rookie with Cam Wake. I guess we could just use Roth on obvious rushing downs?
What do you guys think?

---On another note I think if we stop the run again next week vs the jets we have a good chance to win. Sanchez has had for the most part a great rushing attack all year except for this week.

Trade Joey Porter!!! I am grateful for what he did for us last year and he brings an intensity to this team that it needs but his value is only going down from here. When Matt Roth comes back he will have to EARN his starting job back, he will not get it right away. Having said that, he will earn it back, he is our best run stuffer by far, but he will be eased back into action. We will have too many OLB's, and while that is not entirely a bad thing. I would rather see Porter go for a 2nd or a 3rd and let Wake get more reps than have Porter for another year or 2 and watch Wake sit on the sidelines in a T-shirt and Baseball cap (yall know what that pun is intended for)

I've never been Porter's biggest fan, but I'm surprised too see in a lot of threads suggesting letting go of Joey. I would at least wait until the offseason. Unless, Miami gets an offer that they CANNOT refuse. Which is unlikely.

Easy, once Roth is healthy you put him in on running downs. JT doesn't need to be playing as much as he has, he could benefit from being in a rotation. That said I think he's played pretty good this season.

Roth will help improve our run game even more, he is our best run stopping OLB in my opinion. Once we get him in there we will be even better, especially in short yardage.

While our run D has truly been stout, our numbers are slightly skewed because of how much teams pass on us. We still have to improve against the run in alot of ways, and now that Merling is injured, we could get worse.

If we stop the run vrs. that Jets Oline, first off we'll win, secondly it will be the first time we stopped a run-oriented team, the Falcons have Turner but they balance the passing game.

How about trading Roth...putting him in on just running downs only made sense we we didn't have players that could do well agains the run. We do now. As stated, we are #2 against the run right now. They do pass on 1st and 2nd downs, so having Roth in is actually a liability.

How about trading Roth...putting him in on just running downs only made sense we we didn't have players that could do well agains the run. We do now. As stated, we are #2 against the run right now. They do pass on 1st and 2nd downs, so having Roth in is actually a liability.

I think this is a more likely scenario then trading porter even though porter probably has more value as a trade.

I was kinda thinking that if things are not broken why should we make any drastic changes. Porters name alone on our team scares teams into thinking about and planning for him. I think that porter will contribute more as the season continues as well. As far as Roth goes I think unless we trade him his playing time has to be very limited compared to last year. We should start out strictly using him only on very obvious run downs. Basically just 4th and 1s and goal line stuff. Id say we keep playing the current guys on not so obvious run downs unless we start getting burned on ground.

Back
Top Bottom