Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by motormouthmaz, Aug 9, 2017.

1. motormouthmaz

motormouthmaz Rookie

Opinions here. Omar Kelly and other has tweeted this out today. Even if Cutler is successful, how can you let go a 29 year old QB for a 35 year old. I understand the Knee but with medicine today it doesn't worry me as much, if you remember over worrying about a QB medical has set this franchise back years "brees". if cutler does well and we trade Tannehill how much longer would cutler really play? Let's just say I think we finally get a lot of media attention over the next year.

Ray R likes this.
  2. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

Who's Ryan Dona? Does he play guard?

Ikema, BigNastyFish and NorthernFin like this.
  3. NorthernFin

NorthernFin Scout Team

Ryan Dona is the brother of Prima Dona

:laugh

4. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

If Tannehill's continued tenure with the Dolphins is contingent on the Dolphins having a "successful" season, then he should rest easy and get the surgery done already.

Unless successful season is defined down to mean not being the worst team in the division or something, Tannehill doesn't have anything to worry about. This team will be lucky to win more than 8 this year and playoffs . . . .

5. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Pefect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I mean if Jay Cutler played the best football of his career and we got to the Super Bowl . . . You can't really be satisfied going into 2018 saying "Thanks Jay but we are returning to our 30+ 7 year veteran QB with a career sub .500 record, no playoff experience, coming off major knee surgery who hasn't played in a live game since December 2016.

There needs to be a line there somewhere doesn't it?

I'm just saying, we need to play this season first before we can jump to any conclusions. Ryan is under contract next year and Jay is not . . . But lets cross that hypothetical bridge when we need to.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think that if the interior OL shows up better than expected and the defense improves (which IT SHOULD), and Cutler stays healthy, this team can definitely make the playoffs again.

7. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

It's all 100% based on production. If Cutler produces at a high clip it's his job. I've never been a Thill detractor and pretty much always a solid supporter
    but the kids game has significant limitations -- some of which Cutler is notably stronger in (pocket presence, movement in the pocket, gunslinger moxy, etc.)
    It will depend on production. I for one will not be surprised if Jay does very well here -- with this cast and coaching staff.

8. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Depends on how his knee is. Miami has to draft a QB no matter what happens. If Miami goes 7-9 and Cutler retires again, and Tannehill recovers and can play in the opener next season, he damn sure better have a young QB backing him up that could potentially be the future.

Ray R, finomenal and DrMultimedia like this.
  9. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

If that happens, some team is going be handed a very good QB and Miami will be looking again a year later..... I doubt it happens but it would be so Dolphins.

10. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Watch Cutler have a fluke great season and resign as a starter, Tannehill leaves to back up Brady in NE as he recovers, takes over in 2019 after Brady retires and goes on to win multiple super bowls with BB. (Patriots also traded Garopollo for a 1st round pick in the process). Meanwhile, Cutler has a terrible season in 2018 and retires again.

#DolfanLife

11. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

And we'd deserve a scenario like that if Ross/TBum/Grier and company are so ****ing stooopid!

Albert Romano and Sarnics13 like this.
  12. SkapePhin

That's why even if Cutler has a great year, you don't keep him over Tannehill. If Cutler follows it up with a mediocre season he is retiring because his heart is only half into this whole football thing right now to begin with. Meanwhile Tannehill has a good 6-8 years left assuming he heals fine from his surgery.

13. WCUPUNK

WCUPUNK Member

Cutler will be 35 and a free agent, Moore is a free agent and Gase loves Tannehill...specifically said he is the reason he choose to come to Miami. Ryan is not going anywhere.

14. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Pefect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Soooo if Cutler wins a Super Bowl this year and still wants to play, and wants to play for Miami . . . .obviously on a contract making around 2 years, 40 million . . . Do you really say "Nah Jay we rollin with Ryan and gambling on his knee and mentality to help us accomplish the same thing . . . but thank you for the ring that Marino couldn't even get"

Gimme a break. I have come a long way in regards to 17 but that is crazy talk and I am hoping this crazy talk is just a result of people not believing Jay could accomplish that feat this year.

You obviously attempt to trade Ryan and draft a QB . . . Or you ask Ryan to take a substantial paycut as Moore is a FA.

You don't let Cutler out of the building if he brings a Lombardi trophy to Miami.

miamiron likes this.
  15. Dsteve

Dsteve Banned Hammered

Not just winning but winning in the back of cutler will detrermine it unless he just retires.

16. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Well-Known Member

If Cutler has a top 10-15 QB season then you keep him and cut/trade Tannehill. Otherwise, you keep Tannehill and see if he can get back to where he was pre-injury.

Regardless, it's a shaky situation either way. On one hand you've got a 35 year old who has never had two good seasons in a row, and on the other you'll have a 30 year old coming off a MAJOR surgery.

In other words.... Sorry defense, but the Tannehill injury forces our hand in the draft. Popular opinion or not, we absolutely have to draft a QB in next year's draft. And I'm talking first round. Do it the smart way for once. I love what the Chiefs did this year for example. Don't wait until you absolutely have to and there's no time to groom.

Dolphindrew and finomenal like this.
  17. SkapePhin

Cutler has 2-3 MAX, if that. He might just well ride off into the sunset if he won a superbowl. His mind is half-in this. He already retired. Once you already crossed that threshold, especially at that age, its hard to reclaim that same passion for it. I just know that if he resigned for another 2 to 3 years, he would bolt the second he had a mediocre season, which would probably be the next one. So you are willing to risk potentially 6-8 good years of Tannehill for that?

It would be a tough call, but we all saw how Tannehill performed last year. Gase believes in him. There is not reason his surgery shouldn't work as well as every other QB with that procedure, including Brady.

The last thing we want is to start all over just to have a 2 year window with Cutler. And then what? Hope and pray the rook is halfway competent? Did the Jets really win in the end going with Favre for a minute and then starting over?

18. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Whatever the worst case scenario is is what will happen.

19. Adam Strange

Honestly, if last week someone suggested that Tannehill was going to lead this team to a Super Bowl win, he would have been mocked by all but the most delusional kool-aide drinkers-- and rightly so.

But now we're supposed to seriously consider that a guy they plucked out of the broadcast booth is going to win the Super Bowl with this team-- somehow leapfrogging the Patriots who've done nothing but get better, and overcoming a questionable at best defense-- and decide Tannehill's fate accordingly.

Delusional isn't a strong enough word actually. It's as if a good percentage of the fanbase thinks the Dolphins actually got better once Tannehill got injured.

20. Kdawg954

If Jay retires then great for him and we ride into 2018 with Tannehill at QB. I am going with the presumption that he puts up a career year, wins a championship and actually wants to still play for Adam Gase and the Miami Dolphins. If those are the circumstances, Miami would be bat **** crazy to let him out of the building in favor of Ryan Tannehill. He could be "fully healed" and I wouldn't care, not tossing away a Super Bowl winning QB for the hopes that Ryan can continue off where he was before getting hurt in the Zona game. That is a big assumption and an unnecessary risk.

If you ask me, while you still have Wake, Suh, Reshad and company playing at a high level, presumebly after winning a Super Bowl, the "future (funny considering Ryan would be 30)" gets put on the backburner and that 2 to 3 window becomes the priority. No brainer.

Again I will stress, this is all hypothetical, and I'd imagine Jay will keep us competitive but ultimately we fall short, or he gets hurts or something Dolphiny happens to us . . . But there are certainly scenarios in which u keep Jay and move Ryan. Absolutely.

21. Kdawg954

I would be pretty surprised if Cutler showed to be better than Ryan, but the scary thing is, he has that capability from a talent standpoint so I wouldn't put it in the impossible category. There is a ****load of talent on this offense.

I agree its not a discussion I care to continue because its "what if i hit the lotto" territory.

PhinSoldia and Adam Strange like this.
  22. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This fan base has so many drug addicts.

23. FinFanSince1966

FinFanSince1966 Starter

LOL !!!!!!!!!

24. Adam Strange

:D

25. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

I wish there were similar conditions for getting rid of Omar Kelly.

JakeemThe Dream and miami365 like this.
  26. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Good grief. Cutler will not take us to the super bowl and no way in hell he replaces Tannehill. I want to get my hopes up for this season too but some of you are setting yourselves up for a severe melt down.
    I can already see the 47 threads.

He's a 1 yr rental to save face with a hail mary of a season. It's been 11 years, you've seen the best he has.... he's not going to miraculously turn in to peyton manning in a season where he's a month removed from the couch where his wife had to talk him in to playing. Stop with all this nonsense about him unseating RT. PLEASE!

27. WCUPUNK

WCUPUNK Member

I'm all for dreaming big, but Jay Cutler has only lead a team to the playoffs once in his career. he's 34, coming off a season where he played five games because of wrist and shoulder issues and no one wanted which is why he became a broadcaster in the first place. let's keep things realistic when are talking about this. Yes Jay Cutler could lead the Dolphins to the Super Bowl and break all of the individual passing records in the process, there could also be an alien invasion that will destroy all life on the planet by the start of the regular season too...but neither not within the realm of possibility of it happening.

in 2018 Ryan Tannehill will be the Dolphins QB barring an injury setback. Cutler will take the job waiting for him at Fox and Moore will likely be re-signed to back up Tannehill again.

28. Kdawg954

Well Jay, The Tannewagon has spoken . . . So there is only one thing left to do:

29. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Hey I'm a Tannehill supporter but should Jay miraculously led us deep in the playoffs he would be my guy. The odds of this are probably not very good but who knows.

Kdawg954 and DANTODUPER like this.
  30. DANTODUPER

DANTODUPER Scout Team

Tannehill would never be on a Bellicheat team. He is the opposite of pre-snap great reader, quick decision making and great pocket awareness that Bellicheat loves.

31. joerobbie

joerobbie FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

i`m sorry for you

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  32. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If Cutler wins the Super Bowl his hot wife is riding him to the sunset.

HE GONE

NorFlaFin likes this.
  33. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I guess you're one of them........ but I'm not sorry for your problem.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  34. Kdawg954

U think so? Jay wins a Super Bowl, Miami giving Him at least 20 mil a season for the next two. He can work for Fox for the next 20 years he probably wont make that kind of coin.

35. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

Distant cousin to Louis Prima.

NorthernFin likes this.
  36. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Spectacular post! :thumbsup

37. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

Cutler is solely a rental. He isn't coming back for four or five years.

38. zucca

zucca Well-Known Member

If we have RT next year, we need to draft a QB in the 3rd round or so like the Giants did this year. If we dump RT and go with Cutler coming off a wild card and a win in the playoffs, we have to draft a QB in the 1st round because both are QBs would be old. Even with a playoff win, we have to go back to RT so we can use that 1st rounder on another area of need. Money wise we would come out ahead with RT too. Cutler would want $15 million plus to return. There's 5 or 6 mill in dead cap by cutting RT. The smart move is Tannehill regardless of what happen this year. This year's goal should be to keep the momentum of last year. No 5-11 and a retreat back to a garbage team. If Gase can get us to 9-7 and sneak in to playoffs again, our needle should be straight up in 2018. We get our QB back, all our skill guys are a year older, some young studs emerging on D, etc. Then we draft some OL in rounds 1 and 2 again.

39. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

Well, this is kinda easy. If Cutler wins?

Who is Adam Gases GUY?

RT or JC.

It really is that simple.

40. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Depends what Cutler "wins." Cuz last season RT was well on his way to delivering the first playoff appearance since 08 while putting up if not elite, then superior numbers. If Cutler merely matches that, given his age, how his own body is breaking down, I maintain that RT will still be Gase's "GUY"