Ryan Tannehill and Ryan Lindley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill and Ryan Lindley

phinfan33

Club Member
Reaction score
What're everybody's thoughts&opinions on these 2 QBs? I watched part of the Baylor/Texas A&M game yesterday and got to thinking about these 2 guys,and wondering how good they are,and what kind team and offensive system in the NFL they'd be good fits for. I'll do my own research,but if any of you have anything you wanna add,feel free ok.

I don't know much about Lindley, but I have had the pleasure of watching Tannehills last 5 games!!! and have come away absolutely impressed and overwhelmed by his overall skill set!!! I love Tannehill's poise in the pocket, vision and his escapability .... For a player who has ONLY played QB for 16 games dating back to the 2010 season he shows a tremendous amount of ability; if he is THIS GOOD NOW!!! imagine how good he can be in 3-5 years ... the way he stands in the pocket and looks over the field and delivers the ball, reminds me of Brady ... he shows no fear and seems to know exactly where to throw and place the ball once he decides to make a throw ... the fact that he was a WR for his 1st few years, tells you he can run .. and boy does he have a set of wheels for a QB!!! IMHO Tannehill is every bit the QB, Barkley and Jones are, and quite frankly, I think he is better than both of them ... Tannehill is going to be a much better QB once he gets more experience .. I also think; His college coach had developed him, because of his own NFL background ... the sky is the limit for Tannehill and think he is going to be a fantastic pro!!!

I don't know much about Lindley, but I have had the pleasure of watching Tannehills last 5 games!!! and have come away absolutely impressed and overwhelmed by his overall skill set!!! I love Tannehill's poise in the pocket, vision and his escapability .... For a player who has ONLY played QB for 16 games dating back to the 2010 season he shows a tremendous amount of ability; if he is THIS GOOD NOW!!! imagine how good he can be in 3-5 years ... the way he stands in the pocket and looks over the field and delivers the ball, reminds me of Brady ... he shows no fear and seems to know exactly where to throw and place the ball once he decides to make a throw ... the fact that he was a WR for his 1st few years, tells you he can run .. and boy does he have a set of wheels for a QB!!! IMHO Tannehill is every bit the QB, Barkley and Jones are, and quite frankly, I think he is better than both of them ... Tannehill is going to be a much better QB once he gets more experience .. I also think; His college coach had developed him, because of his own NFL background ... the sky is the limit for Tannehill and think he is going to be a fantastic pro!!!
So i'm guessing he needs another season of college ball to get even better then huh.

So i'm guessing he needs another season of college ball to get even better then huh.

I'm not sure, if he is a junior or senior, it slips my mind!!! but I think he is ready for the NFL based on what I've seen so far this year ... he is so much better than last season!!! if he's a junior it wouldn't surprise me that he stays another year to get more experience ... I have read from "The National Football Post" NFL Draft Guru, Wes Bunting, and he thinks Tannehill is going to be an all pro type of QB in 5 years ...

I think Ryan Tannehill is receiving the better coaching right now and that can make a difference. He's pro all the way in his size, skill set, mechanics, etc. He's still a bit raw because of lack of reps though.

I wouldn't give up on Ryan Lindley yet though. He's got true play making ability with his arm and though his accuracy is up and down there may be some things you can work with him on to improve that, mechanically and with the offense. He makes a ton of GREAT throws and rarely makes mistakes that cost the team. He also calls his offense at the line and is very used to play-action, turning his back to the defense. I just get the feeling that when he's throwing the ball he's trying to play chess while his receivers are still playing checkers. He'll be a better pro than he was a college QB, IMO.

I think Ryan Tannehill is receiving the better coaching right now and that can make a difference. He's pro all the way in his size, skill set, mechanics, etc. He's still a bit raw because of lack of reps though.

I wouldn't give up on Ryan Lindley yet though. He's got true play making ability with his arm and though his accuracy is up and down there may be some things you can work with him on to improve that, mechanically and with the offense. He makes a ton of GREAT throws and rarely makes mistakes that cost the team. He also calls his offense at the line and is very used to play-action, turning his back to the defense. I just get the feeling that when he's throwing the ball he's trying to play chess while his receivers are still playing checkers. He'll be a better pro than he was a college QB, IMO.

Thanks CK, for the info ... I know of Lindley, but didn't know about him as a prospect ... and now I do!!!

I like both of these kids as 2nd/3rd round prospects. They both have two of the best sets of physical tools to work with in this entire class.

Tannehill is a splendid athlete who's only been playing the quarterback position at aTm for all of about 14 games, and he continues to get better. He's a FOOTBALL PLAYER who's developing into a fine quarterback prospect. Possesses the intelligence and competitiveness to be one of the better developmental QB prospects I've seen recently.

He has some mechanical flaws that need a little tweaking. His release is a little low for me, I like to see the elbow above the shoulder. He hasn't developed a keen sense of timing yet that you see with more polished QB's, resulting in being a hair late with the throw against certain coverages.... he gets away with it most of the time due to raw arm strength. He doesn't throw with great anticipation consistently. This lack of anticipation causes him to rotate his hips too fast due to trying to make up for lost time, which leaves his shoulders playing catch up and the nose of the football pointing up a tad too much....which leads to his consistent miss (high of target). However, at least Tannehill has a consistent miss, and it can be corrected through coaching and repetitions.

Ryan Lindley doesn't have a consistent miss. He's all over the place due to poor footwork and over setting with his 'improper' (back) leg.

It leads to overstriding and having too much weight on his front leg (similar to Ryan Mallett coming out of Arkansas last year). They're actually very similar prospects from the waist down, although Lindley doesn't have Mallett's cannon of an arm (although it's still very good) or instinctual accuracy.

Neither are ready to start in their rookie seasons. They both need time to iron out footwork and mechanical flaws.

Back
Top Bottom