Ryan Tannehill and the deep ball, Elite??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill and the deep ball, Elite???

nando03

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
It's the off season, we just finished the draft. There isn't a whole lot to talk about until camps. I was on here today and I read an article about Tannehill making the move to the top 8 this year. Then I came across this articel, "Ryan Tannehill has an elite deep ball." I thought to myself....Elite? No way! I've read on Finheaven in the past that he is terrible at throwing the deep ball. I know he got better last season under Gase, but Elite??? So I decided to read this article. Much of this article stems from the information provided by Cian Fahey. It isn't the end all be all of articles about Tannehill, but it's a solid piece to read right now when there isn't a lot coming up until camps start. It's seems as though, coming back from his injury could be the biggest hurdle standing in the way of what could be, dare I say, a pro-bowl type year from #17.

Tannehill’s 55.6 percent ranked third, trailing only Sam Bradford (1st) and Andrew Luck (2) while looking down on the likes of big names like Drew Brees (4th), Matt Ryan (5th), and even Aaron Rodgers (7th).

Tannehill’s protection last year continued to be awful. Of his 27 sacks, only one was deemed unavoidable — ONE. To add context, his avoidable sack percentage of 3.7 percent was nearly one/fifth of Brady’s (17.4%), who ranks 16th, and about TEN times less than David Carr’s (40%), who ranks 32nd.

http://slicemiami.com/2017/05/03/ryan-tannehill-accuracy-tom-brady/

Yes, he throws one of the best deep balls in the game. Thankfully Gase saw this and removed the death clamp on explosive play calling that Philbin had in place for Tannehill.

These stats are wrong. If the writer read this forum they'd know Tannehill has a terrible deep ball and is at fault for all his sacks...

I'm sure that it really frosts some folks to read threads like this :idk:

The reason for the improvement is simple. Ryan Tannehill was only sacked 29 times last season. Compared to 45 times the one before and 52 times the year before that one.

Which is one reason why I always talk about running the ball more. And last season, the first season since Ricky Williams and Dave Wannstedt was here, we did just that.

But still, he did not throw long often at all so until he does that, it would be hard to call him a very good long ball passer.

Looking forward to his healthy return. I felt bad last year because after years of being a Tannehill supporter, I jumped ship after the Thursday night game in Cincinnati, which was the worst performance by him and the team that I recall in years. Of course, he (and the team) made an exponential improvement shortly afterward.

they've moved onto other nitpicks I think. I'm still waiting on objective proof from them about the sacks all being his fault.

single-tumbleweed-o.gif

Having played QB in HS and not bragging, but having an excellent deep ball.....I have noticed a big difference in the way Tannehill throws the deep ball as compared to his first few years in the league. When he first game in, he was trying to guide the ball too much. I actually think Lazer fixed him and got him to start just chucking it and putting air under the ball and let your receiver run under it. A perfect example is that elite throw to Stills in the back of the end zone against San Diego. I really love studying throwing techniques and Dan the Man was one of the few QBs who threw the deep ball with any consistency on a rope.

Having played QB in HS and not bragging, but having an excellent deep ball.....I have noticed a big difference in the way Tannehill throws the deep ball as compared to his first few years in the league. When he first game in, he was trying to guide the ball too much. I actually think Lazer fixed him and got him to start just chucking it and putting air under the ball and let your receiver run under it. A perfect example is that elite throw to Stills in the back of the end zone against San Diego. I really love studying throwing techniques and Dan the Man was one of the few QBs who threw the deep ball with any consistency on a rope.
I think it was Saunders that worked with Tannehill on his timing on the deep ball. Point taken though

I think he has improved his deep throwing, but he has also got better targets now.

Kenny Stills and Jarvis Landry (who still isn't used downfield enough) are both good at tracking the ball in the air and adjusting their bodies to go get it and create additional RAC opportunity. Kenny Stills in particular is really good at this and it's why I was happy to see him brought back.

On a related note, I still think Mike Wallace needs LASIK, and I am 100% serious about that. He was just bad at judging the ball in the air, and that's usually a vision problem.

I was definitely one of those who was a non-believer in Tannehill's deep ball before this year, but anyone who still is, is just a detractor for no reason. Tannehill has shown me that with adequate protection he can be a QB who can win us a superbowl, and who can be a good QB in this league. What we need to do now is put a superbowl worthy team around him.

It has been quite a few drafts since I have thought, "maybe we should draft a QB." There is also not doubt in my mind that Gase has helped elevate Tannehill and this team's play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all of last season that deep TD pass to Still in SD is what I remember most. That was an elite throw, no question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom