Ryan Tannehill is the NFLs most underrated QB.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ladeback, Jun 17, 2017.

1. ladeback

ladeback Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

2. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Flowers of May

Just hope he can take it to the next level. As he does not get enough respect in the league.

3. Jehuty13

Jehuty13 Well-Known Member

"At the same time, however, he is not the product of Adam Gase. Gase has just given him a scheme that allows him to breathe"

Something that stuck out. I'm so glad Philbin saw his former team make playoffs. Coaching matters.

dolpns13 and rickd13 like this.
  4. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Sure coaching matters, but I would also say coaching experience matters. It seems to be working in Gase case, but I hate Miami going through a string of several head coaches that had zero head coaching experience when they took the job. Expecting Philbin or Sporano to have grasp on what they were doing right out the box is like expecting a 4th round rookie qb to be ready for the NFL. Sure it can happen but it's unrealistic. And young players can learn from vets on the team, but raw coaches only have the knowledge of experience gained... and that often shows you what's wrong but not how to correct it,

5. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin Well-Known Member

i quit reading that link after those three horribly unfair "examples" of Parker letting Tanny down. any of those would have been GREAT catches on well thrown balls.

dont think that guy knows anything about football.

btw, i DO think Tanny us way underrated.

6. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Parker does have a way of looking simply horrid on some balls that he misplays in the air or simply doesn't dominate at catch point. Those three examples aren't even the worst ones. Everyone puffs Parker as a major alpha WR but it's never been shown to me yet. If he's alpha, he's a Miami Dolphins alpha in the long line of Hartline-esque alphas.

Great article.

LD

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  7. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Man, this guy is not a friend of WR Parker. Absolutely destroys him. As for the Tannehill stuff, only the die-hards that hate him doesn't already know what's written in the article.

8. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Those were well thrown balls. That's the point. The first one was positioned great for Parker to catch and it even hit his hands. The second was a scramble but was put in an open area for Parker to make a play. The third, imo, was the only one that I would put as "difficult to catch" for a guy with Parker's skill set.

9. Vector1Dolphins

Vector1Dolphins Seasoned Veteran

That was a good read....Thanks for the Post...I have always felt that Tannehill was a good pick...IMO the only knock on him was he started being a QB late in his Collage career...So I have always said that he needs two more seasons to get on Par with other QB's from his draft class...He has been improving every season in spite of the coaching he has had to endure...As for Parker he has been up and down since being drafted...IMO this is the season the light goes on for the guy and he makes those catches...I think this season we make the NFL take a good hard look at playing the Dolphins as a Dayum we have to play those guys! Again!!!

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Most overrated: Kirk cousins

Most underrated: Ryan tannehill

Most it's everyone else's fault but mine: Andrew luck

Most carried by his oline: dak prescott

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The Parker gif examples presented are dumb frankly.

Real dumb

12. russianbear

russianbear A True Fan

I've seen a lot of Tannehill flex threads lately. I think the consensus on the forum has found it's way to a solid medium of understanding and appreciation for Ryan Tannehill's game. He's a great QB. Period. Legit arm talent, elite decision-making, and on top of it all he's a consistent run-threat.

Now I want continued team success. It's about more than Tannehill now, and for the record I see us as on the cusp of being a year in year out playoff team. Despite the tough schedule I think we have an opportunity to beat quality teams on big stages. We believe, now we can make the nation believe. Looking forward to seeing it all come together this year.

13. PhinsAAA

PhinsAAA Well-Known Member

Missed where Parker could have won the first Pats game on a well thrown ball... One that any top 10-15 number one wr makes for their team

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  14. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

thill17 is not underrated.... he need go out their and earned it. from his peer group now.it time put it all together in yr 6. is he great no but he is not sorry. with Gase I feel he will get most out of thill17 and dolphins. the bottom line for thill17 is he need start winning on reg base....if he want credit in nfl.as qb

15. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

If he does...look out!

16. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

It's also a fact that last year was the first season that Ryan Tannehill had a competent coaching staff to guide him along.

It's a bit unfair to look at his first couple of years when Tannehill had very little in terms of a supporting cast and an atrocious offensive line. Now, there is a lot of talent at the skill position and the offensive line is at least somewhere in the middle of the pack, maybe top 10 if Mike Pouncey can stay healthy. For those reasons, Tannehill's game should still click up a notch or two.

Let's see how he is viewed after this season. I have a feeling he could be rated around top five this year if his play toward the middle of last season is an indication of things to come.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  17. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

Yes indeed, he did not go after that ball at all, just standing there waiting for it to hit his hands. Surely coaches are on his rear about this.

18. Ren

Ren Rookie

Whole thread dedicated to a WordPress blog. Yep, it's the off-season.

lurking likes this.
  19. Phinz1972

Phinz1972 Make me a sammich

So telling me he didn't earn it from his peer group after win streak last season? After a few seasons of playing with high school like rosters, seasons of getting rocked so hard he peed blood, etc...?

Or did you mean earn from eh fans and media outlets like Omar? Let me get on the horn and make it known unless you appear on Difler's Dimes, Kurt Warner's top 5 QBs of the week, and likewise segments each week, you aren't good! People need to stop watching Aaron Rodgers and the few elite of the elite and thinking "welp that's the measuring stick" because those type of Qbs, hell players even, are rare. Would have loved to sit next to you during the years of Jay Fiedler, Cleo Lemon, AJ Feely, etc.. just to see how you acted.

dolphindan, Sons Of Shula and A500 like this.
  20. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

He's not underrated.

If he was statistically, for his career, great on 3rd down down, and was consistently leading the Dolphins to high marks in terms of scoring points...then a case could be made. But that isn't the case.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  21. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

In the past it's been issues with the deep ball and pocket presence with you. Now that he's improved its 3rd down and points scored (which Is definitely a team issue, not just Tannehill). However when that improves, it will be something else. Nope, no agenda here, nosir.

dolphindan, tay0365 and psfign like this.
  22. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Don't be stupid, I don't have an "agenda" against Ryan Tannehill lol.

I just said he's not 'underrated'. To date, he's just a decent starter. Nothing more, nothing less.

He's got a clean slate under Gase from me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  23. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

How can you trust someone's take on something if they can't even put a coherent sentence together.

24. Phinz1972

Phinz1972 Make me a sammich

Some people are just awful spellers and do their best(have a grown family member like that), some people type so fast that the mind registers they typed a word but in reality, they really didn't, some people end up on FH after a long day/work week when they really should be sleeping and end up typing dribble that would make any man go crazy reading(I am notorious for that), etc... Rather it be my run on sentences on internet forums or Wildman's posts, the point they are trying to make gets across after a few reads, so I will never discredit something somebody says based upon their structure of the english language and how they use it. With that said, I do not agree with him, not one bit lol.

25. psfign

psfign A True Fan

While I think his stance on the QB is far from reality, English isn't his primary language, so lay off a bit. At least he isnt coming in here calling people names and ****.

insomnia411 and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  26. psfign

psfign A True Fan

Oh you absolutely do. Regardless of what, 'you just said' here, your bias is painfully obvious. It's either that or you blame/credit a single position for the entire teams failure/success. I guess those aren't mutually exclusive.

27. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Fair enough..

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  28. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm sure that took a load off of his mind.

insomnia411, rickd13, Vaark and 2 others like this.
  29. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

Tannehill is underrated IMO.

He gets talked about as if his job security is up in the air every season.

He had a 93.5 QB rating which is better than Rivers, Stafford, Flacco, Palmer, Wilson, Dalton, Winston, Palmer, Tyrod, Smith, Newton, Eli, etc..

8 of those Qbs haven't won anything. (Cams MVP season seemed to be a fluke)

Tannehill is severely underrated. Just my opinion.

Stoobz likes this.
  30. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

Just glad Gase is now coaching Thill. Failbin damn near broke him. So thankful that he has some proper coaching now.

insomnia411, fishfanmiami and Vaark like this.
  31. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

He had a 93.5 rating in a new offense, after a terrible start for the offense in the first 5 games. He has shown the ability to play at an extremely high level when the circumstances are anything above total crap. He will be a top 10 QB this season. There will be four types of reactions:

1. Its about time (stressing that they believe he wasn't very good for his first 5 years).
    2. Where did he come from? (pretending that nobody could have seen this coming)
    3. Ignoring it.
    4. (a small minority) I told you so.

32. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

Agreed brother!!

The guy is legit. His time has come this year. We're in good hands whether it's our Coach Gase or our personnel.

We have a lot of young talent ready to blossom. Is it weird I'm most excited to see our stud LT the most of any player? lol

PHINS UP!!!

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Ha ha with gases play calling tannehills pre to post snap reads and decision making and that golden ticket tempo on offense you might get 40 passing tds this season out of this offense. I'd set the bar at 35 if tannehill suits up for 16 games.

A whole lot of smelling salts for members of the media

34. Digital

Digital Starter

Very good article. While I don't agree with all of it, most of it is pretty darn good.

A few nitpicks, Tannehill actually had a very quick time to throw metric, so he isn't holding onto the ball long. Considering how often he threw deep that is impressive. The gifs of losses into double coverage are a bit harsh on the WR's. But it is true that we left some plays on the field ... but every team does, that's the nature of the game. I would have preferred an analysis that shed a bit more light on the difference between the first 5 learning curve games and the remaining games where the offense was in stride with Gase's offense. But overall, very nice article.

35. A500

A500 Active Member

I wish I could like this more than once.
    I hear people say all the time that a good Qb makes his team/ receivers good. When in actuality, the only Qbs that do that are hall of famers.

I think this generation of football fans are spoiled in a way where we have multiple first or second ballot HoF Qbs in the league and if they aren't on the same level as Brady or Rodgers than they are perceived as "trash"

36. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

We have Gase to thank for that. The majority of passing progressions are high-low reads which allows the QB to get the ball out quicker with the first progression of the longer throw being read almost immediately.

Lazor's system on the other hand . . . well, we all know what a disaster that experiment was.

37. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I am excited about this year, The team and Tannehill are setup nice. But to be honest before last year Tannehill has been terrible. After last season, Gase is making me believe anything is possible.

38. Sons Of Shula

[​IMG]

insomnia411 likes this.
  39. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Kenny Stills is the best receiver on the team?

Parker should have somehow boxed out a safety on a 9, on a play where the ball hit him in stride?

Not so good.

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  40. Sons Of Shula

Just finally clicked on the article.

That's complete and utter BS.

This play should be captured from the all22, not the goaline cam. Can't make a proper determination on it otherwise.

[​IMG]

And this . . .

[​IMG]

is simply a great play by FS Lardarius Webb. Nothing more needs to be said. Neither Parker or Tannehill are at fault, It was a beautiful read and break on the ball by Webb.

This statement was true under Lazor due to lack of undefined route depths and angles, but not under Gase. Tannehill has been more decisive within Gase's scheme and has gotten rid of the ball quicker under his superior offensive system.

You're not a good evaluator if you can't uncover a player's flaws. They all have them.

I completely agree and align with this statement.

Travis34 and j-off-her-doll like this.