Ryan Tannehill rated as the NFL's 2nd best deep ball thrower | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill rated as the NFL's 2nd best deep ball thrower

I felt then and reaffirm now that RT's deep ball was NEVER that bad. Mike Wallace was horrible- I despised his play from day 1. Also a big part was the OL's complete lack of time given RT to drop back and launch. If you observed closely, you could sense the frustration RT must have felt with Wallace- sometimes he ran hard, sometimes not. Sometimes he would stretch out, sometimes not. Sometimes he would run the right route, sometimes not. RT NEVER had confidence that he could just launch it and Wallace would be there or compete for it.

It stymied RT's development and I think his confidence took a hit.

Wallace played selfish and scared, and I was shocked when mgmt re-signed him after that first season.

Whew! I feel better now....

i think his deep ball is getting better because dolphins have bigger wr that can catch the ball like parker

I felt then and reaffirm now that RT's deep ball was NEVER that bad. Mike Wallace was horrible- I despised his play from day 1. Also a big part was the OL's complete lack of time given RT to drop back and launch. If you observed closely, you could sense the frustration RT must have felt with Wallace- sometimes he ran hard, sometimes not. Sometimes he would stretch out, sometimes not. Sometimes he would run the right route, sometimes not. RT NEVER had confidence that he could just launch it and Wallace would be there or compete for it.

It stymied RT's development and I think his confidence took a hit.

Wallace played selfish and scared, and I was shocked when mgmt re-signed him after that first season.

Whew! I feel better now....

This view was shared by many and scoffed at. The other huge problems with Wallace were a shockingly bad ability to track the ball in the air and terrible field awareness. I'll never forget two plays: a catch he makes along the sideline with the ball in the field of play and his left foot needlessly placed a foot out of bounds, a catch in the endzone where he again steps out of bounds needlessly. Completely clueless.

Not to mention trying to showboat and needlessly trying to make a one handed catch on a long pass as well as my all time favourite dropping a pass and trying to clap his hands in frustration but missing completely.

Wallace would never contest a ball either - ergo the inflated interception stats. I had such high hopes for him coming in but he really turned out to be a load.

i think his deep ball is getting better because dolphins have bigger wr that can catch the ball like parker

giphy.gif

I just seen this article. It's definitely great to see him improving. I'm pumped to watch football this season and can't wait! The throw against the steelers where he is rolling out to the left and drops a dime in Greys bucket was an amazing throw. Also, in San Diego where he stood in the pocket, got drilled but threw a perfect bomb to still that hit him in the back of the end zone was another pas that was amazing.

I don't know enough about statistical analysis to answer this, so maybe a member that works in the field can help:
Is the sample size large enough for the conclusions to be meaningful?

So that's why Kenny Stills caught 9tds and like 4 for 35+. Cus Kenny is tall, not ball placement and or speed. Lol, I guess some people really don't watch the games but man, Tannehill has become one of the best deep passers in the league. It's that simple.

The deep ball project that's being referenced does chart accuracy, and accuracy still credits the quarterback for failed catches.

However, it's entirely reasonable and fair to credit the Dolphins' skill position players for some of the team's success throwing deep. DeVante Parker has not been reliable at the catch point (he's made some great catches, but also had a bunch of failed receptions), but Kenny Stills and Jarvis Landry have been money on those 20+ yard passes. I'm more than willing to forgive #10 at this point for the Seattle debacle. He's redeemed himself.

I think that Kenny Stills + Jarvis Landry is certainly a better duo for the deep shots than Hartline and Wallace were. Even though the two receivers we have now are not as fast as that other pair, they're simply better at finding the football, going to get it, coming down with the ball, and then staying on their feet.

So it's fair to say that the quarterback deserves credit for throwing downfield well, especially on the move or when he's being blasted in the face, which are both very difficult situations for those throws. And it's also fair to say that the better deep passing numbers are due in no small part to having better targets for the attempts.

Let me just add that for a couple of years there, some of us held the opinion that "The quarterback is not the primary reason for failure in our deep passing game." We were ridiculed and called excuse-makers.

You had bad pass protection, bad play design, and wide receivers who were flat out failing to catch the football. Those weren't things that were imagined, that was the sad and absurd reality of football under coach Joe Philbin. I think back specifically to a game in 2013, I think it was against the Chargers, when Mike Sherman dialed up a play that was absolutely ridiculous. He called for a delayed play action draw followed by a deep shot to Wallace. By the time the ball left Tannehill's hand, the guy was already like 30 yards downfield.

Leroy Hoard on the radio after the game was asked about that play and put it 100% on Mike Sherman, saying that the play design was ridiculous. CKParrothead and a couple of other football junkies came on here and pointed out the exact same thing about that play. And this is something that really wouldn't even occur to you unless you really knew about what goes into the timing of that kind of play.

It certainly didn't occur to me until it was pointed out by Hoard on the radio.

So, YES, the quarterback has improved on that area of his passing, but he's also not being set up to fail on those throws anymore. It's OK to admit it. We really were that incompetent as an organization that we finally found a good quarterback and then we screwed up everything else.

Back
Top Bottom