Sam Knight update (merged)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by aquaman, Apr 30, 2003.

1. aquaman

aquaman Seasoned Veteran

Sam Knight update

Guys, Lastest on Sam Knight is the following: The Dolphins have offered Knight a little above the league minimum. Sam has offers from other teams that are giving him much more money. Dave and Co have promised knight that if he signs this one yr deal he will be taken care of next yr. Sam and his agent have a concern that if knight gets hurt hes out a few million dollars. Both sides really want to get this done and it may have to be that our money guys get creative.

thats all i have for now.

Ps

Before the draft Jr, Jt, zach all took sammy out and talked to him about the team and our vision. I hope he bonded with them and it pushes him in to signing one of those incentive deals.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2003
  2. minus

minus Perennial All-Pro

Instresting....

3. MarinoFan

MarinoFan Ralph Wilson after this season

DAMN IT, hope they work something out.

4. jd13

jd13 Starter

we need to get this done...imo we need to sign knight, griese,another wr and a veteran lt...if we have to cut somebody or restructure somebody to free up some money than we need to do it as quickly as possible...

5. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

Todd Perry was willing to restructure his deal before the draft and the Dolphins backed off once they figured they had enough cap money to do what they were going to do..maybe he's still willing so we can get knight.

6. aquaman

aquaman Seasoned Veteran

We can not drop the ball on this one! this is a big signing . some of you may not see it as such but it truly is. I am a huge knight fan and think he can step right in and be the big hitter we need in our d backfield.

7. minus

minus Perennial All-Pro

If the Dolphins sign Knights,the Dolphins on paper will have the best defense in the NFL.

8. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Bon vivant

I'm really getting tired of our standard league minimum contract offer. I know that's what has kept us in such good cap shape, but I worry about the reputation we may be gaining as lowballers.

9. BuffBillsMan90

BuffBillsMan90 is Clumpalicious!!

Better not make promises they may not be able to keep. Fins are already over the 2004 cap :lol:

10. Justasportsfan

Justasportsfan FinHeaven Elite

Re: Sam Knight update

IS Dave himself assured he'll be here next year to push through with his promise? Knight needs to get that in writing signed by Spielman.

11. MarinoFan

Spielman is not responsible for Dave's job. It's Wayne Huizenga. Wayne is very happy with Dave, and everybody here thinks he's doing a pretty good job.

12. aquaman

aquaman Seasoned Veteran

yeah .. so you buffalo fans can go to your own board and ponder the eternal question.. no not what is the meaning of life? its the other one.. why did we draft willis mcgahee.

13. fairbanksb

fairbanksb Panhandler

Doesn't sound too good for the home team. He was supposed to make something like 1.3 mil with N.O. this year. Is he worth that. Who don't we trust, our D-line, our corners? With the 3rd ranked defense last year, what kind of incentive package could possibly entice him to sign for a league minimum and how can we afford to pay him over 1 mil?

14. gottahavefootba

gottahavefootba The Predator

So what? alot fo teams are clump.. that's what happens in the nfl with these backloaded contracts.
    I'm sure you will say we will be in cap hell next year.. yet we will still manage to go out and get new players and still be better then the bills :lol:

15. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member

Huh? They were already over last year too!! So what?

You keep hinting cap hell to these guys when in fact it can be avoided. Look at what the Raiders did this year, having all that dead money.

They look like they will be very competitive!

Hey it was not our fault Billy had a numnut running their program back then. Spielman is no numnut and be lucky you have a TD, maybe.

16. FinsGoToGuy

FinsGoToGuy A True Fan

I may be wrong but I think next year we get a few millions of cap relief because Gardener contract will be over.

17. Justasportsfan

Justasportsfan FinHeaven Elite

Sure.:rolleyes:

18. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

Without a doubt the most talented secondary.

19. Penthos

Maybe we should cut Charlie Rogers and send that money Sammy's way... I think Knight would have a bigger impact than Rogers anyway... Plus Rogers is now a player with legal baggage and possible attitude problems... just my thoughts.

20. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Bon vivant

Not likely, 13 ... not so soon after we signed him.

21. scotgif

scotgif Seasoned Veteran

Why would they cut Rogers just a few weeks after signing him? His Baggage and attutude problems are not new.

It's not like he just ran into this trouble in Miami. If Wannspeil were worried about this, they would not have signed him in the first place.

22. Penthos

Yea, I guess you guys are right, I would just hate to find out that we lost out on Knight because we couldn't come up with an extra half Mill...

Probably won't happen, but I would hate to see it.

23. zach13

zach13 Mad Dog

Miami can not be over a cap which does not yet exist.

No one knows what the 2004 Salary Cap will be. From the 2001 season to the 2003 season it has increased from $67M to a projected $75M. Nor do we know which of the current players that Miami has contracted will no longer be here or will have their contracts renegotiated.

As of Feb 14 of this year the Fins were $300k over the cap, but are now $4M under and are almost certainly a better squad today than on Feb 14.

24. fairbanksb

fairbanksb Panhandler

Hadn't heard this one. What type of legal baggage does this guy have? I knew Derrick got into that trouble but that's pretty much over other than a 1 game suspension. Why would they go through all the trouble of drafting high character guys but sign someone with legal troubles?

25. Penthos

Welcome ZachSeau13...

Using your first ever Finheaven post to start a cap debate with Clump is not something I would advise... But hey, could be entertaining..

26. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

You know those guys do the dirty work and sometimes make you look good...Got to have a little dirt on the team..keeps the juices flowing..:D

27. RHoffman

RHoffman DOB: Get my Ring!

Just get Knight done....

restructure Perry's deal.

28. MarinoFan

Okay, in the past 3 years, who's made it to the playoffs more, Buffalo or Miami? Why is it you feel you need to instill you negativity on this board? Just for kicks, I'll start a poll now.

29. Penthos

Here is a KFFL blurb...

30. RHoffman

ZachSeau...

I say start a debate with Clump...anything to upset a Bill's fan.

31. MarinoFan

Re: ZachSeau...

:lol:

32. xmdc986x

xmdc986x Well-Known Member

I second that request to start a debate with Clump

33. funkphenomenon2

funkphenomenon2 Active Member

Aqua,

what other teams are offering him more money?

34. Penthos

Then again maybe Clump is too busy praying that the Phins don't sign Sammy Knight to get into another cap debate...:pray:

35. RHoffman

I think Clump

is too busy drawing his own blood....

so he gets lightheaded enough to recite all his cap numbers...

:jk:

36. aquaman

aquaman Seasoned Veteran

I have no clue who else is in on trying to sign him. i will ask but I doubt he would no either. it should not matter though, we should want him more than the other teams and get it done.

37. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

We have a reputation of being low-ballers with dudes that are coming from other rosters, but as of right now, we have a VERY good reputation of taking care of our own if you've been productive with us.

Its probably the only reason Knight is even considering signing with us, cuz he knows that if he comes in and does well for us, he'll be rewarded.

I think that, if the deal gets done, they'll settle on a contract that is basically the same as what the Phins are offering now, except the Phins will agree to pay for a one year injury insurance policy to the tune of a couple mil or something. They've done that before, I forget whose contract they did it with but it seemed almost illegal the way they did it.

38. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Bon vivant

I remember that, too, CK ... was it (gulp) Gardner?

39. Samphin

Samphin Dolphins Homer

I think in fact, it was Gardner. Signing Sammy Knight should be priority one right now. Griese won't become available until afterJune 1st, whihmeans we have plenty of time to focus on Knight and making him feel lik the most important thing ever. I like the blurb I read that said Thomas, Taylor and Seau took him out. Perhaps having Ricky Williams recruit him would work well since the have a past relationship in New Orleans. I personally think we have to offer more than the league minimum for his services. I would offer him something reasonable and if Perry is willing to restructure, all the better. Next year we should get some relief due to Gardner's contract being off the books, and possibly part of Fiedler's if he is cut. I woldn't put much credence into what Clumped says. Sure, he might have accurate figures as they stand right now. But I think he fails to realize how creative teams can be to get around and under the cap these days. He seems to be under the impression that once the cap umber is set, they have no way around it.

A good example is the Raiders. They kept their great offense in tact while being 40 mil over the cap. It goes to show you how creative and smart team officials are now. He also stated that we would be in cap jail this past offseason. We signed Seau, Thompson, Buckley, Zgonina, resigned our own players and are on the verge of signing Knight. All while being under the cap.

40. Fresh

Fresh A True Fan

That's kinda funny. Charlie Rogers signed for about $600k.. what difference would that make? Rogers is a great kick returner, something we never had. Why cut a player you just signed?

We have enough to keep Rogers and sign Knight. I rather cut Roders than Rogers. And now without Lucas and likely Rodgers under contract, we have enough money to offer Knight a better contract..

41. OG54

OG54 Starter

Sammy Knight

What other teams is Sammy Knight considering?

42. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

u restructure perry and all could be solved. but i think they were maybe counting on that for griese.

I would like to remind people that we lost last year becuase of one ray lucas. if we have to get one or the other, it better be griese.