Scenario in which we don't go OT in the first | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scenario in which we don't go OT in the first

Practice Squad
Reaction score
At this point we are so desperate for OL help that we have to go left tackle in the first but what has to happen to change that. Obviously we need to sign somebody that can play left tackle but who in the draft would be a special talent that could be available at 19 and be too good to pass up? The quality of the first round seems so good in this draft that someone has to fall especially if Lewan and Martin are off the board. Mosley, Pryor, Donald, Ebron, Lee, Evans, Clinton Dix, Nix are players that might be there for us. Are any of these guys so special that we afford to not go OL? I would love to have any of them but not at the expense of not fixing the OL. If we don't nothing else matters.

A lot of speculation as to whether Hickey keeps Soliai or Starks. But while both are good veterans, it could be financially prudent to cut both and get the best DT available and lock up Odrick long term. I still expect us to use the first pick on the O-line like Zack Martin, but really good DTs are hard to find and it may be prudent to save $.

Sign a LT in FA and I think there is a good chance they go away from OT.

Hope we go BPA. And locking up LT in FA will allow us to do that.

I hate the thought of spending 9million a year on a left tackle but I hate the thought of turning Tannehill into another David Carr even more. I hope we do just so don't miss out on another Patrick Willis because we need Ted Ginn or Anquan Boldin because we need special teams help so bad that Eddie Moore is too good to pass up. (that last comment as sarcasm for those of you that are about to rip me)

Honestly, I'd take a lot of those players on your list ahead of Martin. I really like Martin and understand his versatility adds value. A solid pick to be sure, but I'd hate to pass up a player like Mosley if he's on the table.

Also, with the talent in the draft on the offensive line I think Miami could fill their needs in the 2nd-4th round range --- maybe taking three offensive linemen in a row at that point. As to free agency, I would like the team to sign some mid-level players on the offensive line -- someone like Collins would be a nice start.

A lot of speculation as to whether Hickey keeps Soliai or Starks. But while both are good veterans, it could be financially prudent to cut both and get the best DT available and lock up Odrick long term. I still expect us to use the first pick on the O-line like Zack Martin, but really good DTs are hard to find and it may be prudent to save $.
That's an interesting point. If the team goes that route then it seems to guarantee spending either a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DT. Aaron Dobson would be interesting in R1 as would Louis Nix.

Miami has approximately $36 million in salary cap space so it seems to make sense to lock up either Starks or Soliai. But, Shields would be a nice bookend opposite Grimes so there are other options if the team decides to let both players sign elsewhere.

Smart moves..we need a couple of years of making solid picks and solid free agent moves..we haven't had that in awhile.
No head scratchers!!!

LT and 1 of the 2 KC guards in free agency,bpa in 1st rd. 2nd and 3rd rd. juhuan james rt tenn, or Scofield rt Michigan,Filo Ucla guard orBintono from Unlv

LT and 1 of the 2 KC guards in free agency,bpa in 1st rd. 2nd and 3rd rd. juhuan james rt tenn, or Scofield rt Michigan,Filo Ucla guard orBintono from Unlv
Schofield should not be drafted before the 4th. I really like him at OG.

BPA all the way. Doesn't have to be OT...especially since OT is so deep.

Aaron Donald is the guy I'd be hoping for at 19.

= Bad Scenerio.

Unless you are considering Zack Martin an elite LG, then you really are in a bad spot picking anything other than an LT or at least a RT in the first round of the draft. Those positions are very expensive on the salary cap, it's the strength of the draft so they'll likely be among the most talented player available, and it's the most massive need I've ever seen an NFL team have at any position other than QB.

Draft a dang OT. Any other scenario is foolish.

I would take the BPA at #19.
Draft Carlos Hyde in the 2nd round.
Draft the lineman in rounds 3-5 along with the free agent signings.

Back
Top Bottom