Schad Blog, Drew on Phins, Phins CEO on contracts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schad Blog, Drew on Phins, Phins CEO on contracts

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Another excellent blog from Joe Schad. This time, he also includes a great Q & A with Drew Rosenhaus and Phins CEO Brian Weidmeier.

So really I would say the Dolphins are one of the toughest negotiating teams in the league. They really work at it. You know, they've got some crack guys doing it in Matt Thomas, Bryan Wiedmeier and Matt Thomas. And they are very, very, very strong negotiatiors. They're very methodical and they take their time. They're not in a hurry. They're very methodical. Now when I say tough they're not a bad team to deal with, I'm not calling them cheap in any way, but they are a very methodical negotiationg team.

Q. What's dealing with the Dolphins like?
A. Well, I've been negotiating with the Dolphins for 15 years, so I've known Bryan and Rick for many years. It's very comfortable. There's a lot of respect. There are a lot of things that don't have to be said because they're assumed. And usually we cut to the chase. You know? They make great points. We make good points. And at the end of the day they're very productive discussions.

The whole enchilada

I hope your comments to him keeps him reporting like this, this is good stuff, tibits we generally don't get. But Muck be careful how big you make his head, we need him to keep focus, not think he's a superstar amoung sports writers.....LOL

You know there was one point in that article that confused me..he says Wanny say that St. Clair is the starter going into TC and yet FinFlurry stated in his camp report today that Carey was with the first team..what gives here? Is that why this camp was close, so the dolphins can do some changing around and no one knows?

Yah there are some conflicts between the 2. Joe makes it sound like only the rookies and younger guys were out there. Even made a point to mention Eddie Moore since he's technically not a rookie.

Muck said:
Another excellent blog from Joe Schad. This time, he also includes a great Q & A with Drew Rosenhaus and Phins CEO Brian Weidmeier.

The whole enchilada
Q. Do bad executives make bad deals?
A. You often hear about bad agents, but so many agents now are lawyers with a legal education. And if they are matched with a negotiator who is less skilled, you can get unfavorable results and the problem from the club standpoint is that as we all look at trying to establish value, the club that does a bad deal that's outrageous does a bad deal in a professional sense that's tough to deal with if everybody is looking for value on that position. So if Player A gets a value that's twice the value of what the contract would dictate and so the agent in that short-term one-client context gets a superior result, the problem it creates a ripple effect in the market place becaust not to say that every club will go to that level, but it creates an expectation level that is very difficult to contend with that is very difficult.

Can you say Grant Wistrom? I knew that you could. :D

Well, the news of the day at Dolphins camp really had nothing to do with what was going on during "rookies only" workouts, but who was speaking to the veterans in the morning.

-Jerry Sullivan had veteran receivers like J.R. Tolver, Sam Simmons, Snoop Minnis, Kendall Newson and Terrence Wilkins practicing their routes during the "rookies" only practice.

The quotation marks around the words "rookies" or "rookies only" indicates that "rookies only camp" is most likely a misnomer.

Right now he's got more credibility with me than any other beat writer. He writes about the details we're interested in reading about rather than focusing on trying to be *cute* for what he perceives to be entertainment value.

He also said that Sage Rosenfels took most of the snaps during the camp. Finsflurry's report had Jay and AJ taking most of the snaps if I'm not mistaken...

Now, as for the difference between Sullivan and former receivers coach Robert Ford, who most all players adored, Tolver said that Ford allowed receivers freedom of creativity in the way they ran their routes. Screw that, Sullivan says, every single route should be run the same way every single time.

Interesting.

I would think that Sullivan's approach would be much better suited the QB/WR situation in Miami. I can see letting WR's improvise when you have a Duper/Clayton/Marino combination or a Rice/Taylor/Montana combination, when the QB and WR's are all well established and have developed those relationships where they all know what the other is thinking, but that isn't the case with this team.

Agua said:
Right now he's got more credibility with me than any other beat writer. He writes about the details we're interested in reading about rather than focusing on trying to be *cute* for what he perceives to be entertainment value.

What he said :)

calmlikeabomb said:
Interesting.

I would think that Sullivan's approach would be much better suited the QB/WR situation in Miami. I can see letting WR's improvise when you have a Duper/Clayton/Marino combination or a Rice/Taylor/Montana combination, when the QB and WR's are all well established and have developed those relationships where they all know what the other is thinking, but that isn't the case with this team.
Great point. That could go a long way towards addressing the consistency problem with our 1a starter, and could hasten the development of 1b. :D

Back
Top Bottom