Schedule, QB concerns make Adam Gase’s second Dolphins season tougher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schedule, QB concerns make Adam Gase’s second Dolphins season tougher

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
newsEngin.19491646_20170810-ale-dolphins-ae-014.jpg

Think of the Carolina Panthers. They finally made the playoffs in 2013 with Cam Newton but slipped back to seven wins the following year. Then all the way up to a Super Bowl appearance in 2015 and immediately back down to a 6-10 flop.
Adam Gase doesn’t expect his Dolphins to fall into a flimsy pattern like that. What coach would?
There is built-in momentum, however, to make it happen, and switching quarterbacks from Ryan Tannehill to Jay Cutler a month before the season opener only feeds that.
Generally speaking, the NFL scheduling formula serves up a tougher challenge for outfits that go 10-6, like Miami did in Gase’s rookie season as a head coach. Other teams get better, too, through drafting and signing and developing new players, just like the Dolphins are trying to do now.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...lphins-season-tougher/ZZKNMzngSyhrcANRaK7cEL/

I believe in Gase and trust he knows what he's doing compared to the long list of imbeciles that were at the helm of this franchise since Shula left.

Last edited:
There is an elephant in the room on this post. We were 10-6 last year after starting 1-5, right? We changed our offense because Tannehill couldn't run the press, no huddle offense, right? Right , wrong, or indifferent, we had to strip down the offense. If we had done that sooner, who knows, maybe 1-2 more wins. Point is, Cutler looks to be a guy that can run this offense, and combined with this run mentality, the slow , sluggish starts that have plagued this team, as RT at QB, could change. Yes the defense sucks, but I think they are better by personnel addition and the fact VJ doesn't have one foot out the door.

I'm more worried about this defense than Jay Cutler at this point. We can score in 10 seconds with Cutler, but opposing teams can also score in 10 seconds against this defense.

Then again 8-8 is the safest prediction for the vast majority of teams, in any year, because it's the most common finish in the league give or take a game. The parity in the league creates mediocrity by and large.

In the case of this team, I don't see the pass defense permitting any better a finish than that. It would take an extremely good turnover margin to counter that, and there isn't any reason to expect that.

Interesting to note that there was no mention of Jay Ajayi in the article. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the team only got rolling when Ajayi got rolling last season and then the games when the running game got shut down, we were able to do more in the passing game with wide receivers. I still believe that Ajayi should be set for a good year and the success of our O-line is the key to his performance.

There is an elephant in the room on this post. We were 10-6 last year after starting 1-5, right? We changed our offense because Tannehill couldn't run the press, no huddle offense, right? Right , wrong, or indifferent, we had to strip down the offense. If we had done that sooner, who knows, maybe 1-2 more wins. Point is, Cutler looks to be a guy that can run this offense, and combined with this run mentality, the slow , sluggish starts that have plagued this team, as RT at QB, could change. Yes the defense sucks, but I think they are better by personnel addition and the fact VJ doesn't have one foot out the door.
That's not why they had trouble early in the season.

On the flip side, if you are the coach of an opposing team the Phins are a team that will be difficult to beat.
Cutler, has his flaws, but he's got an elite arm and with this group of receivers they can score quickly and from anywhere on the field. Ajayi can pull off a backbreaking run at anytime and you worry about your tackling when he's got the ball.
On defense you have to contend with Suh, Wake and even Branch. Reshad Jones is back and Howard is on the ascent. The secondary is young, but has some good young talent.
This isn't a team that anyone can pencil in as an automatic win. They have concerns, but so does every team. Including the 2 that played in the last SB.

That elephant is only in your room. It's always fun though reading your "facts" about how we all see things.

Wrong.

It takes the entire offense to run the HUNH (hurry up no huddle). The line must have universal communication for protection slides and blitz pickups, and all the receivers must be on the same page for route concepts relative to coverage and sight adjustments on blitzes.

It was a new system for the entire offense to learn which deemed troublesome as a group matched with the constant turnstile offensive line in terms of personnel.

Interesting to note that there was no mention of Jay Ajayi in the article. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the team only got rolling when Ajayi got rolling last season and then the games when the running game got shut down, we were able to do more in the passing game with wide receivers. I still believe that Ajayi should be set for a good year and the success of our O-line is the key to his performance.

Jay Ajayi is the one player who defensive coordinators fear the most. They will often sell out to stop him from going off.

Cutler has to make them pay.

Every season is different. I think the offense has a chance to be really good, top 10 in the NFL caliber. The team has a lot of talent at the skill positions with Ajayi, Landry, Parker and Stills. Cutler had his best season under Gase in Chicago.

I do think the offense will need to carry the defense. That's the big question mark. Looks like the defense could easily be a bottom 10 unit.

It could easily come down to how Miami does in close games.

Back
Top Bottom