Schefter: Ross personally called Bengals about Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Casas9425, Oct 23, 2011.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Adam Schefter just said on ESPN that the Dolphins have tried multiple times to trade for Carson Palmer and that most of those phone calls were made by Steve Ross himself who was unwilling to trade a first round pick. It seems like Ross is our new GM...

2. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

When?

Before the season?

During?

Now?

Context?

3. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

I can appreciate his effort. at least his is not sitting on his ***.

however, I think we're better having not landed carson palmer.

4. LobsterMobster

LobsterMobster Scout Team

Good. I'm not sure that Palmer's even worth one 1st rounder.

5. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Glad Ross stuck to his guns. Oakland can keep Palmer.

6. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

:bobdole:

Just when i think Ross "gets it".......

7. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

The report said that a handful of teams were interested in Palmer post-lockout.

In terms of the Fins, the Bengals made another attempt to ship him to Ross, but the price was too steep.

It is pretty obvious the Fins are going to be aggressive in the coming offseason. I do not know if it will work, but...

8. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

In this case, not getting it was better.

9. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ross is letting Tony tank the season (so far) = good call.

Not giving up a first for Palmer = good call.

Everything else . . . well, it's not looking great.

We'll see how he does with the new HC hire.

10. jason37

jason37 Drivin' the Yeremiah Bell Bandwagon

The price was too steep.

11. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

I like Ross' involvement because it signals his distrust for Jeff Ireland. First Orton and now Palmer. Both the Broncos and Bengals wanted to much and we are much better off with Ross' decision.

12. allfinz

allfinz Active Member

lets also remember we didn't cave to denver's ridiculous requests and ortons astronomical contract demands. no team owner wants his team to lose, but he certainly isn't going to take any drastic measures in season to resurrect us to another dismal 6-10 season. reggie bush was a risk and it wasn't the greatest decisions, however, if our multi-million dollar offensive lined played like a million dollar line, henne would still be in there, daniel thomas would take the load, reggie would get his touches in space and we may actually have a winning record. everyone likes to blame the defense, but if i was busted my a$$ for an offense as crappy as ours, i'd certainly play with a lot less intensity.

13. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Oh, i completely agree. That being said, i dont like hearing that our owner tried multiple attempts at landing a 32 year old quarterback with major injury history coming off a 20 interception season. We've been down that path before, didnt end to well.

14. WFUFinfan13

WFUFinfan13 Member

We are going to need that first round pick to draft another offensive lineman.

15. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

I guess I will be the only one to say it.. Carson Palmer would be an upgrade over Henne and Moore and would allow Devlin the time needed to mature..

16. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Pretty sure these calls were placed during the summer before the season even started. It is not news that the Dolphins first choice at QB this summer was Palmer, with Orton the second choice. It was probably something like Mike Brown not moving on his desire not to trade Palmer. So the Dolphins think maybe if there is an owner to owner talk, something could move forward. Sounds like the Bengals called last week but the Dolphins pretty much laughed and hung up.

17. hestar

hestar Well-Known Member

Atleast we know Ross isn't a stupid GM like Ireland and wants to address the QB..But yeah, 2 firsts for Palmer was WAYYYYY too much.

18. Hayden Fox

That is not what the ESPN report said...

19. electrolyte

electrolyte A True Fan

can you imagine if the Dolphins traded even ONE first rounder?

even our FUTURE would look ruined. hard times for fins fans

20. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Sounds like Ross looked at how the Glazers are running the Buccs and following their model.

Build thru the draft and probably hire a bright young coach instead being the "over-the-hill gang".

21. ojmcduffy

ojmcduffy Seasoned Veteran

why would we trade the first pick for palmer. If we did trade it away we wouldnt have any LUCK.

22. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Good thing we didn't get him, Palmer just may have been good enough to save Sparano's job. Clean freaking house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

Meddlesome owners can do much more harm than good. Let's hear you back him when he screws us big time.

24. Hayden Fox

I like it that Ross plans on being aggressive. Who knows whom or what they were offering.

25. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

All speculation. No surprise Ross, Ireland or whoever in the Fins organization called about Palmer. One first rounder was too much, let alone 2. I think Miami was probably thinking conditional 2nd at most.

26. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Any discussion they had would undoubtably have involved a 2nd round pick. If Ross had multiple conversations with the man, it wasn't like Ross was offering 3rd or 4th rounders. As well, Brown made it clear(even before the Raiders trade) that he wouldn't entertain any offers other then first rounders. I could see Ross trying to talk him down to a 2nd, much like what happened with Kevin Kolb.

All that said, i can't be the only poster who remembers the Culpepper trade.

27. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

If 0-5 Miami had ponied up 1 first rounder for washed up, pop gun armed, bad decision making Palmer and had wrecked our chances at a QB in a rich upcoming draft in the process...I'd have to just throw my hands up.

28. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Exactly my point. Ross does not interfere if he has someone he trusts. He left Parcells alone and initially left Ireland alone. His getting involved signals the end of Ireland.

29. wonderl33t

wonderl33t FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Maybe YOU don't get it. Palmer for anything less than a first would be a no-brainer

30. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

I think it is almost clear that Ireland won't be here next year. At this point I would be rather shocked to be honest with you.

31. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

I dont care what the critics say i have no problem with him "interfering" we Irelands Job; That guys useless...its amazing how people want to give him credit for what? Our spectacular draft picks? Our even more spectacular FA? Please give me a break most of us could of played GM drafting players and signing FA and i guarantee you 50%+ of us would have done as well if not better.

We should be ecstatic that the owner valued the 1st rd pick enough not to give it away, especially for Palmer. I strongly doubt if we get a strong FO staff he will be the next Jerry Jones;

32. SammySmif

SammySmif Starter

Trading our 1st for Palmer would have been the worst decision of all time, especially when we are looking at Luck or Griffin III right now.

33. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

Thank god, just hold out because Luck will be in Aqua and Orange.

34. bvogt56

bvogt56 Member

Palmer may be able to help the Raiders who by the way have mortgaged basically the whole 2012 draft... but I highly doubt that he could have made a difference in Miami. Another thing to note is that the Raiders play in a significantly worse division therefore giving Palmer a better chance to succeed. Palmer is not mobile and has significant injury history, that would have been a disaster with the turnstile Colombo at right tackle. Why would anyone think Palmer has anything left in the tank anyway, his best years are behind him. The Raiders were fleeced, typical Raiders move... to cut off your nose despite your face. This move reminds me of the 2009 and 2010 Jets moves, the Raiders are all in for 2011 like it or not at least they are willing to make a move and take some chances, this is in stark contrast to the Dolphins of the past decade and even more evident of this sad regime we've been stuck with for the past 4 years!!!!

35. jvw

jvw Starter

Just what I suspected........this team went down hill when he came onto the scene.......we were headed in the right direction then all of a sudden we started trading high draft picks for problem WR, little guys who get hurt and old over the hill former players.......we will get a new regime next yr but I dont see anything changing because Ross wants to be the next Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder..........

36. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

Speaks volumes about Ireland's future with the team. When the owner is stepping in to do your job then your days are numbered.

37. Rugby

Rugby A True Fan

This kind of **** being leaked NOW that he has been traded smacks to me of a Dolphin front office that is trying to save what little face they have left. Schefter's source was probably the same one that has been leaking the info that "Sparano is safe for now", etc. I have heard Joe Rose speculate that it is Mike Dee, which would make sense. So if its true so what, and if not true and a convenient cover story, so what - the bottom line is we don't have him and Oakland does. And of course the blind homers will still think Ross is a wonderful owner and that he cares.......awwwwwww.

38. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

A classic dichotomy:

one one hand you don't want a pedestrian owner to meddle

but on the other hand, whether it's putting the kibosh on Orton or drawing a line in the sand for what Palmer's worth, as compared to Ireland and Sparano who have shown no hesitation to waste Ross's guaranteed money, thank heavens he is!

The fact that Ross is doing his best Jimmy Jones impression IMO signals the end of Ireland too.

39. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Smart moves not to overpay for guys like Palmer and Orton

40. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Agreed. The Raiders still make interesting decisions even after Al passed away.

What is "it"? Whatever "it" is. Palmer did/does not have "it". The Raiders don't get "it". Ross IMO has an idea of what "it" might be.

41. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm starting to like Ross more and more.

42. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Lets examine our two choices:

A 21 year old phenom(or another 21 year old stud) or a 32 year old oft-injured quarterback coming off a 20 interception season. Clearly the 32 year old is the one we should go with! Franchise quarterback!

I mean, we'd only be spending a second round pick, right? That has never come back to bite us before at all. Ever. Daunte Culpepper agrees with that statement.

43. HeartbreakKid28

HeartbreakKid28 A True Fan

This was before the season, at least he tried to get him on the cheap.

This was before anyone had dreams of Andrew Luck. NOBODY thought we would be this bad. May have felt Palmer would've been the difference between 9-7/10-6 and 7-9. Boy were we wrong about even getting to 7-9.

44. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

"It" is the understanding of what it takes to build a franchise correctly. "It" is a understanding that trading for broken down has been quarterbacks coming off horrific seasons might not be the best investment. "It" is a understanding that the only place to land a franchise quarterback is the NFL draft.

"It" is not calling other owners multiple times attempting to trade for their backup after that other owner just burned a draft pick on a young quarterback.
    So no, Ross does not "have it".

45. H4wt Pocket

H4wt Pocket Well-Known Member

Oakland can have him. Palmer is not worth a 1st round pick.