Schefter: Tannehill may not be the answer for Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Casas9425, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

2. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

The success of these other rookie QB's on better teams has completely ****ed everyone's perspective. Forget it, some people just don't get it.

3. Joba-nator

Joba-nator Rookie

out of all the rookie qbs, whose the only one without ANY help?

Ryan Tannehill

4. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

When you miss wide open guys for touchdowns, shrug and grin at the podium post-game, you usually get this type of criticism.

5. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

I'd like a list of the 'wide open' receivers Tannehill missed for TD's yesterday. And if you even think about mentioning the Bess play, I'll just snuff that one out for ya right now- he was nowhere NEAR being wide open.

6. SB Dreamer

SB Dreamer Banned Hammered

What does Scheftner know? He has not even seen Tannehill line up as the #1 WR and catch a bomb from Matt Moore yet...He just may be the answer yet.

7. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

I was at the game. Paid good money to see that missed play with my own eyes. My criticism is warranted.

But if that's not good enough for you, he missed Hartline twice last week too. He's leaving touchdowns on the field weekly.

Not sure about you, but I'm not exactly thrilled watching 13 points, taking a miraculous one handed grab by Fasano to actually punch it in on 4th down.

8. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

I can't disagree with anything he is saying. I remember feeling that RT was a reach in the first round, and that fan pressure dictated that we HAD to draft a QB at that point. I'm not pretending to be some great evaluator, just going on what I read. Unfortunately, spending a first round pick on a QB doesn't guarantee that you get a great QB. Sadly, my confidence that he is "the guy" is really declining. I don't mean to bash him and I hope he turns out to be a great one, but lately he isn't showing me much. At all.

9. dolphans1

dolphans1 Banned Hammered

This is how some of us feel on here, so he's not off base with his opinion.

Look every year its going to be something, injuries, bad calls, etc....., so we blame everyone but the QB?

But we're not scoring enough point as our defense has kept us in a lot of games.

d-1

10. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

Cue the angry mob to slander Schefter .....

[​IMG]

11. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

Tom brady missed two tds last game.. whats your point? if you think tannehill is going to light it up against everyone you're mistaken.. does he miss some throws.. yes but was it his fault when he threw it to hartline and he fell by his own that guy barley touched him and he fell lmao. Tannehill has a lot of help..

12. enigmatics

Tom Brady = Super Bowls

You guys crack me up every time you bring up legends and attempt to draw a correlation.

13. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Brady only missed one, Welker dropped the other.

14. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Not sure about you, but I have perspective and I'll reserve my criticism for if Tannehill consistently fails and it's his fault he fails. He missed a couple throws last week. **** happens. He didn't miss anything yesterday, because you can't miss if there's nothing there. Those guys can't seperate. Period, end of story. Get over it and realize this team was gonna ****ing suck this year no matter what. Next year is the year. I'll be all over Tannehill next year if he has 8 TD passes through 13 games, but not until next year once the kid has some ****ing actual first rate offensive football players besides two complimentary receivers (that Tannehill has on the verge of 1,000 yards each, btw) to throw the ball to.

15. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Hey J., you ready to go to the Jags game and give us an up close evaluation of RT.?

16. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

The point is even the legends miss throws. You're welcome for the clarification.

17. studsatele

studsatele Starter Super Donator Donator

Yeah whatuh bust. I mean can u believe he made Moore drop that bomb he dropped on his ****. Or that other "miss"bomb that hit Hartlines hand last week.

18. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

Lolol you didnt watch the game im guessing.. he had Hernandez for a touchdown.. and edelman wide open and over threw him by a mile.. lmao back up your statement please

19. teemu7

teemu7 A True Fan

So who are Russell Wilson's weapons? Tanny doesn't have a number 1 wr, but he has a good running game, a pretty solid pass catching tight end, a decent slot receiver.

The problem is he misses a ton of throws every single game. You can say lack of weapons too, but what is the dropped ball stat? Does anyone have it?

20. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

This is the the issue that people with your opinion is missing. EVERY QB MISSES OPEN RECEIVERS. Brady missed two wide open receivers for TD's in the same game you're referring to. The difference is that, Brady has way more opportunities to hit open receivers than Tannehill does because his receivers get open more. It's a struggle for our receivers to get separation, so when they do there's it seems a lot worst when our QB whoever it is, misses them. Just saying. I've also seen Tannehill hit open receivers, the issue isn't that he can't its that their not getting open ENOUGH!

21. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

..you dont make sense, we are saying even great Qbs miss the plays also.. is he tom brady no.. No one even said that but even the greats miss throws -__-

22. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

I am not joining an angry mob about this article but espn can do better than schefter.

23. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I thought Tannehill was ok yesterday, but he doesn't really make the elite throws.

However, last week, he was very subpar and may very well have cost us the game. So he was worse than a game manager.

He has the tools, but I wonder about the "it" factor.

My fiance is a physician and not really a football fan other than just watching while I do. Her random observation was that Tannehill is a gentleman and looks like a med student (she loves that he majored in biology). But she doesn't see the "cut your throat" attitude that the great qb's have. Problem being he is a "gentleman."

You gotta love the 6'4, the footwork, the good arm, etc. I'm not sure if he is true gym rat but supposedly he stays late. The question is, will he improve his accuracy, make some elite throws, and win games. He hasn't been good on 3rd down or in the 4th quarter. He has gotta get that "it factor" up and be a winner.

24. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

Sure. Bring a ticket and pick me up.

25. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

Cant say I disagree with Schefter. We just dont know yet. Thats all he is saying.

26. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Forgot about the Hernandez one, bottom line is Brady has 3 rings and made the plays when they counted.

27. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

He's not performing as well as Luck, Griffin or Wilson, regardless of supporting cast. That's a simple fact.

28. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Let's put it this way: Trent Dilfer, who played the position in the league for over a decade and won a SB, and who has since become one of the more respected analysts around when it comes to breaking down QB play, thinks Tannehill will be a 'rock star', to use Dilfer's words. I'll go with that educated opinion, formed after studying the tape, with the professional credentials to back it up, before I'll go with the opinion of a guy who once threw a football growing up on Long Island.

29. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

PM sent

30. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Dilfer said the same thing about Chad Henne.

31. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

If he did then that's disappointing, but if you can find the article where the words 'rock star' or anything of the like are used about Henne, I'd like to read it just for a laugh lol.

32. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

I admit I'm not 100% sold on Tannehill being the answer for us at QB. I'm not even close to given up on him yet either though. When we got the ball with 4+ minutes to go down by a a TD I thought of it in Finheaven terms:
    If he ties the game he can build his legacy as the future franchise QB of the Miami Dolphins.
    If he doesn't it will be somebody else's fault.

C'mon, thats funny because its the theme here, has been all year.

Anyway my point is of all the pundits I take Shefter's opinion on anything other then scoop extremely lightly. When I first started watching NFL Network back in 2005 he blew it with me. It was Nick Saban's first year as our head coach and Shefter was doing a camp tour on the Dolphins. He said Saban ran tthe most organized practices he'd ever seen and that the Dolphins would win at least 10 games after what he saw. The prediction was actually not bad because we went 9-7 that year. However 2 weeks later in the NFL Network season preview he had us at 5-11. That flip flop killed his credability with me.

33. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

I think you're using the phrase "A Ton" way too loosely, missing one or two open receivers in a game only SEEMS like a ton because they don't get open that much. For a team with true playmakers, one or two missed open receivers would not be categorized as a ton.

How about

Marshawn Lynch: 1,266 yards and 9TD Compared to Reggie Bush: 622 yards 6TD
    Sidney Rice 7TD
    Ben Tate 7TD

Compared to D. Bess - 1TD
    Hartline: 1TD

Bottom line is - Give us Atlanta's group of receivers and TE and we're easily 9-4 do you not agree?

34. vega51

vega51 Well-Known Member

Tanny is not accurate and is leaving too many TD's on the field because of lack of accuracy. Yes, he has lack of talent but when he has the chance, he is unable to delivered.
    He only played 19 games in college, so he needs more seasoning, lets see what happens, but so far, he is not doing a good job and is one of the worse starting QB in the NFL.

35. studsatele

studsatele Starter Super Donator Donator

Than should we draft another QB if a good one is available? Serious question. If you were calling our shots for us, would you draft someone else in the 1st?

36. DolfanISS

I agree. You can't compare Ryan Tannehill missing a couple throws to the 1 or 2 games a season guys like Brady and Brees play mediocre and miss similar throws. These guys light it up for the rest of the year so when they miss or have bad games its excusable. Tannehill has done virtually nothing to warrant a pass at this point.

37. enigmatics

Legends make up for it by winning big games, MVP's, championships. You're welcome for the clarity.

38. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Sigh... NO.

39. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Schefter's no fool and he's not calling Tannehill a bust. I get where he's coming from. I believe in Tannehill's future with us. He shows a poise and skillset that far exceeds our last hyped up bust (Henne). But his play now isn't really a confirmation of what we hope his future ability will be. It is what it is. We don't get a clear view of him because he has nothing to work with.

40. DolfanISS

Give the Saints our defense and they're competing for a Super Bowl. You have to score in this league.