Sean Smith leading the team in PD's, looking impressive

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by McMichael, Sep 30, 2009.

1. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

For a rookie this kid looks like a complete steal and should have went in the first round.... He's leading the team right now in passes defended which means he has been challenged and he has came through and met the challenges. The only play I really remember him getting beat on was a play vs the chargers where he slipped and fell.. he seems to stick to any receiver like glue, and with his size it's hard to fit the ball in..

he also seems intelligent (watched a few interviews) and thats definitely a good thing, makes it easier for him to read receivers and to pick up on what they plan on doing.

He's also an absolute beast in redzone defense due to his height and I doubt anyone even attempts to throw at his side of the endzone this year

He is playing some really solid football, looks like our best draft pick so far, and is on pace for 16 PDs this season...

S.Smith for defensive rookie of the year if he gets a few picks and keeps up with the PDs (which he probably will)

2. sm0kinfins

sm0kinfins Adults are obsolete children

I'm developing a bit of a man-crush on this kid and I'm sure I aint alone. One of the few bright spots on the team thus far IMO.

3. Pandarilla 72

Pandarilla 72 Well-Known Member

Yeah, his play will only make Pasqualoni more inclined to blitz and leave him out on an island, which bodes well for our defense as a whole. Evil Ronnie looks like he belongs too...

4. scottieUK

scottieUK Starter

I`m loving Sean `Shutdown` Smith! A lone bright spot on our team and a future Pro Bowler!

5. U-M_all_day

U-M_all_day Starter

he is good but it is kinda sad he has 1/3 of the teams PD's with 3.......we really need to start making some plays...more Interceptions, force some more fumbles, more sacks.....

6. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

He slips quite often and tackling was never his strong point.
    BUT
    he looks like one of the biggest steals of the draft and thats something since he was taken in the 2nd not the 5th.
    Even when people get catches on him he is right there and contesting it.
    He is facing top NFL WR's and playing them very well

7. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Smith is for real. Almost got to jackson in SD. Lookin for more V. Davis and Chris Clemons soon. Yeah, I said it. Clemons.

8. U-M_all_day

U-M_all_day Starter

yeah one play he had real tight coverage on jackson or Floyd (think thats his name) and it was just a great pass....

9. SRM

SRM Scout Team

On basically all of the passes completed against him, it seemed like Smith had near perfect coverage, but like mentioned they were just great passes. Sounds like what Madison said in that one article.

10. MichelleBelle31

MichelleBelle31 3rd Generation DolFAN

I adore Sean Smith, my favorite pick in this year's draft.

11. SeanSmith24

SeanSmith24 GREATNESS

Sean Smith will get 7 int this year just wait...youll see :)

12. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

vontae davis has been playing well too when hes in the games, i dont think a pass was completed on him all last game and he was in there for a bunch of snaps...

both of those guys are playing great, sean especially though...

13. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I've been a big Smith fan since before the draft. So far, he's lived up to expectations and then some. It's very tuff for any CB to come in and start immediately. Remember that he is splitting time with Davis, who is just slightly behind him. I believe we're looking at another Dynamic draft duo. Our future at CB looks very bright.

I also like the fact that we're giving him some safety help. I think this will allow him to take a few more chances while he's learning.

14. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I read somewhere that Smith is ranked 3rd amongst all CB's in completion % against.

15. Yamilo

Yamilo Starter

He hasn't lived up to MY expectations. He played like a true God-King in the pre-season but now he has succumbed to his weaker human form. I will pray so that his true immortal self comes to play on sunday afternoon against the bills.

16. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

I am definately a big fan of S. Smith, i like his boyish attitude. He seems to really have fun out there when he is playing.

I cant wait to see Vontae and S. Smith playing opposite of each other!!! And Will Alllen far far far far far far away from the fins.
    Aaaaaah a man can dream.

17. CW_McGraw

CW_McGraw Scout Team

He's played some really good QBs and looked competent. For a rookie second round pick that the experts thought would have to switch to safety, that's pretty impressive. I think he'll victimize the weaker QBs we play.

18. FlaFinest954

FlaFinest954 A True Fan

So far he IS the real deal, somebody that opposing QB's has to hesitate for or go through their progressions with. And his size alone is intimidating.

19. finz810

finz810 Rookie

if u watch norv turners interview after the games he talks about how well our rookie corners played and and actually talks about vontae calling him a great Corner( i think he was talking about that pass he covered deep on the corner where he almost had a pick w. one hand)

20. finz810

finz810 Rookie

we'r not that far. vontae can be in for allen if will keeps playing like ****. chargers game he got burnt so many times or he couldnt make a play.. Wills play has def. declined this season

21. etsudolfan

etsudolfan A True Fan

S. Smith is da man!! Now all we need to do is draft Eric Berry next year to fix our safety problem

22. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

No more Tennessee safeties for me.

23. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

he shut down Reggie Wayne all game, i think Wayne only had like 2 catches all night, Peyton had to go elsewhere to find somebody open.

24. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

So far this season, I think V. Davis looks better than W. Allen. Smith, though, is obviously playing the best.

25. Cleo Lemon

Cleo Lemon Banned Hammered

Yeremiah Bell isn't getting it done, sorry. Jason Allen would have done more in the first three games. It's kind of hard not to do more than Bell or Wilson have done. Considering they haven't done ANYTHING.

26. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

I won't say Bell has played great, but he has been decent in run defense. The problem is we don't have a LB or a safety that can cover a TE.

27. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

yea the coverage and tackling from the safeties has been terrible. Our run defense is good as hell its our pass d that sucks. Crowder is garbage too. He cant cover at all and hes not swarmin the ball carrier like Thomas used to.

28. Cleo Lemon

Cleo Lemon Banned Hammered

Crowder is garbage.

29. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I know we're talking CBs here as one of the few "silver linings" but it looks like SS Reynaldo Hill to date has 10 tackles and 1 int for Denver who 's right up there in league D so far this year. Doesn't look like Goodman's doing much or Vonnie.. hard to tell.. Of course hindsight's always "20/20" but....

30. RaboGrande24

RaboGrande24 Smoke and Fly

lol "Evil Ronnie". I saw him face to face at camp and thought the same exact thing

31. VA_Finfan

VA_Finfan A True Fan

i'm getting his jersey baby Sean Smith 24 baby!!!!

32. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Well we certainly need some pass defense somewhere. If we could have at least slowed down the pass we very well would have won the Indy game and possibly all 3.
    This has to be fixed. Hard to believe with all these linebackers we have and what they showed in the preseason we cannot get to the passer more. I will not even mention the safty issue. But is all counts. If our pass defense matched our run defense we would be 3-0 instead of 0-3. Pennington might still not be injured and we certainly would not be sweating so much with Penne starting. Lets face it right now if just have 1 turnover in terms of a interception or fumble our offense is in trouble it just cannot play catchup with our pass defense that is like a crumbled wall.

33. dahlmarino

dahlmarino Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

We'd probably need to be in the top 5 to get Berry, and I'm still holding out hope that doesn't happen. But there will be some pretty good options at safety in 2010.

34. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I got his #21 jersey early. Wanna trade?

35. thejetssuck

thejetssuck Seasoned Veteran

Not when it is so easy for teams to just abuse Will Allen all ****ing day.

36. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I agree with you, but there is still a pretty good possibility that Taylor Mays is the first safety taken, especially with every sports writer's man crush on anyone from USC.

37. Smith21

Smith21 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

what size?

38. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

I know that overall our secondary has been playing bad but it has been mostly the safeties and 2 poor games from will allen. Sean Smith seems like he might have been the biggest steal in the draft right now though, considering he's been playing against elite QB's and pretty good receivers these past few games, and has been the best player in our secondary

39. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

I think he's not even going to need to have a huge year intereception-wise for teams to avoid him. He very well could be the next Nnamdi Asomugha if he keeps working hard and studying.

40. MarSly

MarSly Well-Known Member

Sean Smith and Brian Hartline both are suprise picks this year...