Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinAtic8480, Aug 21, 2012.

1. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

This offseason Jeff Ireland decided to take a low-key approach to free agency, offering 1-year contracts to season vets in a way to make them earn a spot on the roster & to have them serve as stop-gaps on a roster with way too many holes. The decision has proven to be a horrible idea as most of the vets are being lost to injury or failing to impress. Ireland signed QB David Garrard, WR Chad Johnson, WR Legedu Naanee, G/T Artis Hicks, G Eric Steinbach, CB Rishard Marshall, LB Gary Guyton, DE/Olb Jamaal Westerman & FB Ryan Mahaffey. Garrard who had injury concerns due to a back injury last year was lost to a knee injury after having a strong camp. Artis Hicks & Eric Steinbach have not been able to practice much the last two weeks, both have missed significant time with undisclosed injuries & neither has been able to show much at the guard position. Johnson & Mahaffey have lost their jobs in a large part for failing to impress the coaching staff & in Johnson's case off the field issues. Jamaal Westerman & Gary Guyton have also failed to impress.

The lone two standout have been CB Richard Marshall & WR Legedu Naanee. Both have had very solid camps, but Naanee (a camp standout) has failed to impress during live action. Ireland missed opportunities to sign Eric Winston & Braylon Edwards both who have impressed with their new teams & now will have to revert to adding acorns as he calls him once teams make final cuts, because his free agents have yet to prove a thing. The season has yet to begin and already Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland is looking like a big loser in Free Agency.

2. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

GOD... ANOTHER Ireland sucks thread.

I bet you sit there listening to the Big O, and just repeat the crap he says all day.

3. pillBOXhat

pillBOXhat Well-Known Member

Have u seen the cap situation? No way we could afford Winston or Edwards .. Best to find acorns now and bolster the roster for when we are relevant again, which is hopefully in 2 years.

4. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

okay, so the ONE guy who got more than a 1 year deal actually looks good. We are complaining about guys who at best were stop gaps and at worst camp bodies not standing out now? I mean, if Ireland had signed Westerman to a 4 year $24 Million contract I'd be angry he's not showing up. But he didn't so I'm not.

5. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Out of curiosity, who was the short bus rider who originally wrote that?

6. steveo style

steveo style Scout Team Donator

I wish there was a single thread for the major topics of discussion

7. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Listen I've been a huge Ireland supporter in the past, but this year the guy has done a horrible job in free agency.

8. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Marshall was a good signing. Jury's out on Naanee but I'm not expecting much.

I really expected more from Guyton. Just goes to show, Belichick is always smarter than you. If he let the player go, then you're better off leaving him be.

9. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Man, this is gonna be a loooooooong 3 days.

10. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

who was signed to make a big splash from FA?garrard? He might have (wv one second please... lol) but he didn't. he was as stopgap and a cheap one. 85? low risk high reward one year deal. so he didn't pan out so what? who did we sign that was expected to be an anchor that hasn't panned out? who? Nobody thats who.

How many free agents has green bay signed in the last five years? You want to get an idea of what we're doing you gotta look north.

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Ouch. Came out guns blazing on that one, eh?

I think Artis Hicks will start all year but he's really only a serviceable player. Richard Marshall will start all year and I don't imagine getting the bang for our buck on him at corner that we would if we'd just lined him up at safety like I originally wanted.

Legedu Naanee...let's find out when he actually does something in a game.

Let's also keep in mind that the early-early-early returns on the draft picks aren't looking so hot right now either, outside of Ryan Tannehill.

-Jonathan Martin has looked for all the world like Marc Colombo and I can't believe I'm even saying that
    -Olivier Vernon has not even shown me a competent pass rush snap yet
    -Michael Egnew is everyone's favorite kick 'em toy
    -Lamar Miller is behind Steve Slaton and not exactly wowing on kick returns
    -Josh Kaddu will be lucky to make the roster
    -B.J. Cunningham will not be that lucky
    -Kheeston Randall might claim a hundred snaps or so but not be of any impact
    -Rishard Matthews MIGHT make the roster

Long term I like a lot of the above draft picks but the early returns for Year 1 might not look so good and combine that with basically a goose egg in free agency, Jeff Ireland could be on thin ice after 2012.

12. Wildbill3

edit you know what the whole premise of this thread is idiotic and short sighted.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/mia/miami-dolphins

I guess we should forget the fact that ireland has locked up several of our promising free agents.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

[TABLE="class: tablehead"]
    [TR="class: evenrow"]
    May 6, 2012
    Signed LB Cameron Wake to a contract extension through the 2016 season.
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

13. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

The whole point is Ireland has done little if nothing to improve our roster via free agency this year.

14. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

I think not signing Winston hurts the most.

15. Wildbill3

Dolphins re-signed NT Paul Soliai to a two-year, $18 million deal march...

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

signing solai and wake did nothing for you then? color me unphased.

16. ckparrothead

It's funny how much wagon circling occurs every time someone dares criticize the Dolphins on anything. It's like watching kicked ant pile.

17. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Besides some depth signings and some guys who were brought in to compete for starting jobs, Miami wasn't even that active in free agency. Hard to call Ireland a free agency loser based on depth signings. The only real "big time" free agent they signed was Richard Marshall, which as you admitted has been a standout and actually looks like he has unseated Vontae Davis as a starter.

Are we really complaining that guys like Westerman, Steinbach and Guyton are nothing more than depth players? I think that was pretty obvious when they signed their deals in the offseason. Did anyone really think the majority of these free agents were going to be starting during the season? Garrard wasn't brought in to definitely start, he was brought in to COMPETE for a starting job. There was not one free agent pickup that Ireland went into thinking they were going to fill a hole in the starting lineup, so I am not surprised that his "depth" signings are in fact "depth" players. Mahaffey? Seriously you are complaining about him being released?

I remember there was an article before free agency even started where the team hosted alumni players for an event and it was revealed that the Dolphins were going to adopt the "build through the draft" approach and try for the most part to stay away from the high priced players of free agency. They pretty much followed that idea this year so far. Sure they signed Chad Johnson, to a one year non-guaranteed vet minimum contract. It was a low risk signing. Almost all the free agent pickups signed one year deals, so they were not meant to be long term starters are really factor into the future.

The draft picks are going to have bigger roles than the one year deal veterans they signed, which is the way it should be. The draft picks are the future, not the one year contract veteran depth players. I understand some people hate Ireland, but come on now, there is a limit to this madness.

18. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

The only area the man keeps succeeding at is UDFA. Derrick Shelby, Josh Samuda & Jeff Fuller are all pushing hard for roster spots. Javorskie Lane has been impressive at FB & likely made the team & Chris Hogan has also been a pleasant surprise. In the case of Hogan will Ireland being smart enough to keep him on the roster or let him get poached by another team.

19. ckparrothead

I have a theory that if the Miami Dolphins lose 10 games or more this year, they will be hiring a new General Manager in 2013.

1. If Tannehill struggles (we're talking Gabbert struggling) then Ireland will take heat for that
    2. If Tannehill plays well but the team still loses a bunch, Ireland will take heat for the lack of talent
    3. The Dolphins will have $50+ million salary cap space for the new General Manager to work with
    4. The Dolphins will also have a high Draft pick for the new General Manager to work with
    5. A ton of expiring contracts means important decisions on how to proceed with the roster build

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Even so winning in UNDRAFTED Free Agency is a lot more of a moral victory than a real victory. Even the good UDFA finds aren't needle-movers.

20. Wildbill3

I have no problems with people badmouthing the team, in areas it's warrented. the list of free agent names this offseason was underwhelming and I didn't see anyone that made me wet my pants in anticipation of getting them to sign with us. Fact is we're approaching free agency more like the packers and less like the redskins this offseason.

21. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

+1

22. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Next season whether it be Ireland or somebody different, we will see the splashes.

Dwayne Bowe come in down.

23. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Here is another one for you guys instead of signing a veteran proven G in Jake Scott or a playmaking WR in Braylon Edwards. Ireland decided to go with an injury plagued Eric Steinbach who has yet to do anything but miss practices & prove he can't challenge at the RG spot. As for Hicks starting the Fins are back to step one with Jerry now seeing time with the 1s, Hicks not only did not practice today, but he was absent from practice, no sign of the guy.

And guys Im not asking the guy to go out and spend Millions ala the Redskins on the Dolphins just make the wise decision that will help this team. We've seen this in the past with the Cowboys cast offs, this way of thinking is exactly what got us Colombo last year & look how that ended up.

24. Phinatic8u

You do know Scott was hurt as well right? Or did you miss that important information while making this post?

25. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

I'm fine with not signing any big name free agents, especially the way the salary cap played out this year. 1-year contracts are fine - they are just to help Philbin get started.

I'm glad we passed on Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, Carl Nicks, ect. These guys are severely overpaid. We would have had to cut players to make room for these bloated salaries. Not worth it imo.

26. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

You know what I have long been a critic of Jeff Ireland but c'mon man, Jeff has less money wrapped up in all of those free agents than Arizona or Seattle have in one major acquisition. I mean Kolb looks like a major bust out there in the desert and Flynn isn't exactly setting the world on fire in rainville.

But I guess Jeff gets the heat for bring in a free guys at a low price, you have a rookie Qb who has climbed to #1 on the depth chart and this Garrad garbage would have surfaced at somepoint, I'm glad it is done and over with, Chad is the other one, what did we lose? Nothing more than a QB made of glass and a WR made of ****headedness.

Most of the rest of those guys are camp fodder anyway that Miami got at rock bottom deals.

27. Phinatic8u

I'd love to have Jackson right now.

28. ckparrothead

Even the Packers pull in guys like Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Donald Lee, Ryan Grant, Ryan Pickett and Erik Walden from other teams. I think what Robi is saying is that the only guy we've been able to pull in this off season that is worth anything is Richard Marshall.

And personally I would caution against the assumption that he was a successful signing...until after we see him in action. I thought he should have been signed to play safety and that making him our starting corner is a mistake.

29. Phinatic8u

He's ahead of Davis, can't be that much of a mistake.

30. ckparrothead

Jake Scott being hurt is speculation, not a confirmed fact. Others theorize that he's just pricing himself out of the market.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Bad assumption, IMO.

31. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Braylon Edwards is so good he signed a one year deal with the Sea Chicken.

32. Phinatic8u

I get that, I mostly blame him being ahead of Davis as Davis' fault.

33. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

Just promote Brian Gaine from within and get rid of Ireland after our upcoming disastrous 2012 season.

34. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

you clearly did not see him play the other night, look better than anything we currently have on the roster.

35. Wildbill3

I'd have to go back over the list of free agent possibles before i'd really say yeah we missed on so and so. I give jeff credit for dumping ronnie brown and ricky williams when he did, instead of offering them more money. (yeah so last year but still...)

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

And there are qbs out there who have looked better than aaron rogers. I guess preseason is where the men are seperated from the boys. esp preseason games 1 and 2.

36. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

Didn't Burnett look terrible last preseason? He turned out to be pretty damn decent after a crappy preseason showing.

37. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

This.

We had a chance to sign one of two low risk signings that could potentially help our team. One was a receiver and the other was a lineman coming off injuries. Naturally, we went with the lineman. And now the lineman is injured and hasnt been able to practice fully.

Ireland had all the evidence in front of him. Edwards and Steinbach practiced together. Despite the evidence right in front of him, he made the wrong call. This situation is hardly unique for us the past few years. Id find the argument of "it was a low level signing, not that big of a deal" a hell of alot more convincing had Ireland not screwed up big signings. Id find the argument of "we didnt have any cap!" alot more convincing had Ireland not screwed up the cap in the first place.
    Good teams use every single chance to improve their team. Miami doesnt then plays it off like its no biggie. And fans eat it up....until we have another losing season and its time for mental gymnastics about how its not our front offices fault.

38. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

We have a serious lack of quality depth on this roster right now and that is all on Jeff Ireland. The Carolina game proved that our backup LBers are garbage. We have zero pass rush without Wake. The guy even said we have a team full of 3s, 4s, and 5s at the WR position. He's the one that assembled that unit.

I'm not an Ireland fan and at this point I'm never going to be. The guy should have been fired last season with Sparano. The guy is marginal when it comes to the draft, good at finding undrafted players (and as CK pointed out, that's not really all that great of a thing to be good at), and horrible at finding quality free agents.

39. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

I am not going to bag on Jeffy for what he did or didn't do, but I will say after watching very limited portions of their workouts on Hard Knocks signing Stienbach made me :ponder:

40. cuban_refugee

cuban_refugee Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

Not even a single game in the regular season played and "Jeff Ireland is a failure.....unbelievable. I think we've added good depth......we'll need that for late in the season. If we stay relatively healthy and can force a few more turnovers than last year, we may actually surprise many people. This thread is ridiculous.

41. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

If they couldn't afford Edwards, why bring him in?

42. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

To up Hard Knocks ratings!

43. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

The free agent pool this year was atrocious...? Im effing glad we didnt spend in this years market.

44. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

It was Philbin who said he wanted to build thru the draft.......hence low key free agency.

45. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

Colombo was Sparano's guy, he liked him in Dallas and wanted him in Miami.

46. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

The problem I have with this is one of the reasons why Jeff Ireland kept his job was because he convinced Ross there was talent on this roster now. He sold ross on the incompetence of the coaching staff being the major issue with this team. If we're not in the wild card hunt at the end of the year (9-7 or 10-6 should do it), i think it's time for him to go. To quote his mentor, "you are what your record says" and if we finish with another losing season that would be 4 years in a row, enough in my mind to determine this is a losing collection of talent.

47. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Not this crap again....I bet 99.99% of the people that subscribe to this bashing

1) Can't name more than 6 GMs for other teams
    2) Can't name more than 6 players for other teams
    3) Can't tell you the cap situation and other important details about more than 6 teams
    4) Certainly can't tell you what FAs visited and left other teams

Yet, they can pronounce Ireland as the worst GM in football... UNREAL!!!

48. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

It's not about this year's draft class or even this year's free agency class.

It's about the previous 4 off-seasons and how those draft picks should begin to start hitting their prime, showing productivity at high levels. Ireland's hands are all over this roster, at every position and we are consistently underwhelming at every playmaking position. We are slow, we lack depth, we lack freakish athleticism. What young playmaker have we drafted in his whole tenure? Which young stud on this team (mind you I'm using ONLY singularity here) can step up to make a game changing play?

Our enormous investment on the O-line with detriment to other parts of our team has not payed off. We still need to burn 2nd rounders on project Right Tackles. We are counting on 5th round safeties to make impact plays. Fasano was brought in 5 years ago and we still can't improve on his above average play. Our 2010 1st and 2nd round cornerbacks are still going to get burned against Andre Johnson come Week 1. We have no playmaking receiving talent and wishing that stiffs like Moore, Pruitt, or Wallace suddenly emerge to become our Miles Austin or Brandon Marshall. We are the only team that drafts a CENTER at a top slot in the draft. Meanwhile the Colts pick up our old pal Samson Satele and he seems to be doing just fine... We don't even have young Linebackers that are ready to emerge to oust overpriced veterans Dansby and Burnett. We are going to count on UDFA Derrick Shelby for a hint of pass rush...

This is not to mention the gobs of money we tied to average players no longer on the team. Nobody on this board should feel sorry or should make excuses for Jeff Ireland. This is his team, these are his decisions, and this will be his below average product.

Having said all this, it's all on Tannehill's shoulders to erase 5 years of bad moves. As he goes, so does Ireland's career. Because if he does have some special in him, he'll elevate our incredibly depleted team to a respectable 6 - 10 record this year, maybe better. That's a lot of pressure on a young guy, but who knows, maybe he's got it in him? Anything less than 6 - 10, either it will be because Tannehill just doesn't have it or, he was given a bad deck of cards to play with from Ireland. Either way 5 - 11 or below and Ireland is gone.

49. Wildbill3

I can't really argue about past drafts and guys that should be the core of our team are already out of football. I have and will continue to think... that a lot of our past drafts not panning out have a lot to do with everyone and not just one guy. sparano... god damn no rookie made any progression with him.

50. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

GARBAGE.

The LAST thing this team needs with what is facing it in the future, is an inexperienced and unproven GM who has never done anything to build roster.

This situation CRIES OUT for a Polian-like proven expert who knows what an NFL player should look like, not just an ireland wannabe who goes by the "numbers" and "measureables" and thinks 40 times are the be-all and end-all of talent.