Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
This offseason Jeff Ireland decided to take a low-key approach to free agency, offering 1-year contracts to season vets in a way to make them earn a spot on the roster & to have them serve as stop-gaps on a roster with way too many holes. The decision has proven to be a horrible idea as most of the vets are being lost to injury or failing to impress. Ireland signed QB David Garrard, WR Chad Johnson, WR Legedu Naanee, G/T Artis Hicks, G Eric Steinbach, CB Rishard Marshall, LB Gary Guyton, DE/Olb Jamaal Westerman & FB Ryan Mahaffey. Garrard who had injury concerns due to a back injury last year was lost to a knee injury after having a strong camp. Artis Hicks & Eric Steinbach have not been able to practice much the last two weeks, both have missed significant time with undisclosed injuries & neither has been able to show much at the guard position. Johnson & Mahaffey have lost their jobs in a large part for failing to impress the coaching staff & in Johnson's case off the field issues. Jamaal Westerman & Gary Guyton have also failed to impress.

The lone two standout have been CB Richard Marshall & WR Legedu Naanee. Both have had very solid camps, but Naanee (a camp standout) has failed to impress during live action. Ireland missed opportunities to sign Eric Winston & Braylon Edwards both who have impressed with their new teams & now will have to revert to adding acorns as he calls him once teams make final cuts, because his free agents have yet to prove a thing. The season has yet to begin and already Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland is looking like a big loser in Free Agency.

Have u seen the cap situation? No way we could afford Winston or Edwards .. Best to find acorns now and bolster the roster for when we are relevant again, which is hopefully in 2 years.

okay, so the ONE guy who got more than a 1 year deal actually looks good. We are complaining about guys who at best were stop gaps and at worst camp bodies not standing out now? I mean, if Ireland had signed Westerman to a 4 year $24 Million contract I'd be angry he's not showing up. But he didn't so I'm not.

Out of curiosity, who was the short bus rider who originally wrote that?

GOD... ANOTHER Ireland sucks thread.

I bet you sit there listening to the Big O, and just repeat the crap he says all day.

Listen I've been a huge Ireland supporter in the past, but this year the guy has done a horrible job in free agency.

Marshall was a good signing. Jury's out on Naanee but I'm not expecting much.

I really expected more from Guyton. Just goes to show, Belichick is always smarter than you. If he let the player go, then you're better off leaving him be.

Listen I've been a huge Ireland supporter in the past, but this year the guy has done a horrible job in free agency.
who was signed to make a big splash from FA?garrard? He might have (wv one second please... lol) but he didn't. he was as stopgap and a cheap one. 85? low risk high reward one year deal. so he didn't pan out so what? who did we sign that was expected to be an anchor that hasn't panned out? who? Nobody thats who.

How many free agents has green bay signed in the last five years? You want to get an idea of what we're doing you gotta look north.

Ouch. Came out guns blazing on that one, eh?

I think Artis Hicks will start all year but he's really only a serviceable player. Richard Marshall will start all year and I don't imagine getting the bang for our buck on him at corner that we would if we'd just lined him up at safety like I originally wanted.

Legedu Naanee...let's find out when he actually does something in a game.

Let's also keep in mind that the early-early-early returns on the draft picks aren't looking so hot right now either, outside of Ryan Tannehill.

-Jonathan Martin has looked for all the world like Marc Colombo and I can't believe I'm even saying that
-Olivier Vernon has not even shown me a competent pass rush snap yet
-Michael Egnew is everyone's favorite kick 'em toy
-Lamar Miller is behind Steve Slaton and not exactly wowing on kick returns
-Josh Kaddu will be lucky to make the roster
-B.J. Cunningham will not be that lucky
-Kheeston Randall might claim a hundred snaps or so but not be of any impact
-Rishard Matthews MIGHT make the roster

Long term I like a lot of the above draft picks but the early returns for Year 1 might not look so good and combine that with basically a goose egg in free agency, Jeff Ireland could be on thin ice after 2012.

edit you know what the whole premise of this thread is idiotic and short sighted.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/mia/miami-dolphins

I guess we should forget the fact that ireland has locked up several of our promising free agents.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

May 6, 2012Signed LB Cameron Wake to a contract extension through the 2016 season.

who was signed to make a big splash from FA?garrard? He might have (wv one second please... lol) but he didn't. he was as stopgap and a cheap one. 85? low risk high reward one year deal. so he didn't pan out so what? who did we sign that was expected to be an anchor that hasn't panned out? who? Nobody thats who.

How many free agents has green bay signed in the last five years? You want to get an idea of what we're doing you gotta look north.

The whole point is Ireland has done little if nothing to improve our roster via free agency this year.

Dolphins re-signed NT Paul Soliai to a two-year, $18 million deal march...

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

The whole point is Ireland has done little if nothing to improve our roster via free agency this year.
signing solai and wake did nothing for you then? color me unphased.

Back
Top Bottom