Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Season has yet to begin & already Ireland is looking like big loser in Free Agency

Have u seen the cap situation? No way we could afford Winston or Edwards .. Best to find acorns now and bolster the roster for when we are relevant again, which is hopefully in 2 years.

The problem I have with this is one of the reasons why Jeff Ireland kept his job was because he convinced Ross there was talent on this roster now. He sold ross on the incompetence of the coaching staff being the major issue with this team. If we're not in the wild card hunt at the end of the year (9-7 or 10-6 should do it), i think it's time for him to go. To quote his mentor, "you are what your record says" and if we finish with another losing season that would be 4 years in a row, enough in my mind to determine this is a losing collection of talent.

Not this crap again....I bet 99.99% of the people that subscribe to this bashing

1) Can't name more than 6 GMs for other teams
2) Can't name more than 6 players for other teams
3) Can't tell you the cap situation and other important details about more than 6 teams
4) Certainly can't tell you what FAs visited and left other teams

Yet, they can pronounce Ireland as the worst GM in football... UNREAL!!!

It's not about this year's draft class or even this year's free agency class.

It's about the previous 4 off-seasons and how those draft picks should begin to start hitting their prime, showing productivity at high levels. Ireland's hands are all over this roster, at every position and we are consistently underwhelming at every playmaking position. We are slow, we lack depth, we lack freakish athleticism. What young playmaker have we drafted in his whole tenure? Which young stud on this team (mind you I'm using ONLY singularity here) can step up to make a game changing play?

Our enormous investment on the O-line with detriment to other parts of our team has not payed off. We still need to burn 2nd rounders on project Right Tackles. We are counting on 5th round safeties to make impact plays. Fasano was brought in 5 years ago and we still can't improve on his above average play. Our 2010 1st and 2nd round cornerbacks are still going to get burned against Andre Johnson come Week 1. We have no playmaking receiving talent and wishing that stiffs like Moore, Pruitt, or Wallace suddenly emerge to become our Miles Austin or Brandon Marshall. We are the only team that drafts a CENTER at a top slot in the draft. Meanwhile the Colts pick up our old pal Samson Satele and he seems to be doing just fine... We don't even have young Linebackers that are ready to emerge to oust overpriced veterans Dansby and Burnett. We are going to count on UDFA Derrick Shelby for a hint of pass rush...

This is not to mention the gobs of money we tied to average players no longer on the team. Nobody on this board should feel sorry or should make excuses for Jeff Ireland. This is his team, these are his decisions, and this will be his below average product.

Having said all this, it's all on Tannehill's shoulders to erase 5 years of bad moves. As he goes, so does Ireland's career. Because if he does have some special in him, he'll elevate our incredibly depleted team to a respectable 6 - 10 record this year, maybe better. That's a lot of pressure on a young guy, but who knows, maybe he's got it in him? Anything less than 6 - 10, either it will be because Tannehill just doesn't have it or, he was given a bad deck of cards to play with from Ireland. Either way 5 - 11 or below and Ireland is gone.

It's not about this year's draft class or even this year's free agency class.

It's about the previous 4 off-seasons and how those draft picks should begin to start hitting their prime, showing productivity at high levels. Ireland's hands are all over this roster, at every position and we are consistently underwhelming at every playmaking position. We are slow, we lack depth, we lack freakish athleticism. What young playmaker have we drafted in his whole tenure? Which young stud on this team (mind you I'm using ONLY singularity here) can step up to make a game changing play?

Our enormous investment on the O-line with detriment to other parts of our team has not payed off. We still need to burn 2nd rounders on project Right Tackles. We are counting on 5th round safeties to make impact plays. Fasano was brought in 5 years ago and we still can't improve on his above average play. Our 2010 1st and 2nd round cornerbacks are still going to get burned against Andre Johnson come Week 1. We have no playmaking receiving talent and wishing that stiffs like Moore, Pruitt, or Wallace suddenly emerge to become our Miles Austin or Brandon Marshall. We are the only team that drafts a CENTER at a top slot in the draft. Meanwhile the Colts pick up our old pal Samson Satele and he seems to be doing just fine... We don't even have young Linebackers that are ready to emerge to oust overpriced veterans Dansby and Burnett. We are going to count on UDFA Derrick Shelby for a hint of pass rush...

This is not to mention the gobs of money we tied to average players no longer on the team. Nobody on this board should feel sorry or should make excuses for Jeff Ireland. This is his team, these are his decisions, and this will be his below average product.

Having said all this, it's all on Tannehill's shoulders to erase 5 years of bad moves. As he goes, so does Ireland's career. Because if he does have some special in him, he'll elevate our incredibly depleted team to a respectable 6 - 10 record this year, maybe better. That's a lot of pressure on a young guy, but who knows, maybe he's got it in him? Anything less than 6 - 10, either it will be because Tannehill just doesn't have it or, he was given a bad deck of cards to play with from Ireland. Either way 5 - 11 or below and Ireland is gone.
I can't really argue about past drafts and guys that should be the core of our team are already out of football. I have and will continue to think... that a lot of our past drafts not panning out have a lot to do with everyone and not just one guy. sparano... god damn no rookie made any progression with him.

Just promote Brian Gaine from within and get rid of Ireland after our upcoming disastrous 2012 season.

GARBAGE.

The LAST thing this team needs with what is facing it in the future, is an inexperienced and unproven GM who has never done anything to build roster.

This situation CRIES OUT for a Polian-like proven expert who knows what an NFL player should look like, not just an ireland wannabe who goes by the "numbers" and "measureables" and thinks 40 times are the be-all and end-all of talent.

Fire him and hire WVdolphan, CK and Tedslimmjr.

Ill trade Marshall for nothing and don't do nothing in FA or draft lmao.. Ireland is a beast

I dont care if we are the biggest losers in free agency, as long as we are the biggest winners in the draft. If Ryan Tannehill turns out better than the rest of the Qbs drafted, we could be in for some good years to come.

Philbin wants to build this team through the draft the way they did in Green Bay.

Randy moss, shawn merriman, plaxico burress, terrell owens... too bad we didnt dump truckloads of money in some of these guys, they have been tearing it up.

The FA pool was mediocre at best. The only person who received a multi-year deal was Richard Marshall which seems to be a homerun right now especially if Sean Smith walks.

The team isn't supposed to compete this year and the team's cap situation is pretty liquid if they want to take a guy on before the deadline or make a splash next offseason when the team is ready to (hopefully) compete. It's about time we stopped playing checkers and started playing chess to build a franchise.

I have a theory that if the Miami Dolphins lose 10 games or more this year, they will be hiring a new General Manager in 2013.

1. If Tannehill struggles (we're talking Gabbert struggling) then Ireland will take heat for that
2. If Tannehill plays well but the team still loses a bunch, Ireland will take heat for the lack of talent
3. The Dolphins will have $50+ million salary cap space for the new General Manager to work with
4. The Dolphins will also have a high Draft pick for the new General Manager to work with
5. A ton of expiring contracts means important decisions on how to proceed with the roster build

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Even so winning in UNDRAFTED Free Agency is a lot more of a moral victory than a real victory. Even the good UDFA finds aren't needle-movers.
Good points. I hope we exceed expectations and don't find out.

I can't really argue about past drafts and guys that should be the core of our team are already out of football. I have and will continue to think... that a lot of our past drafts not panning out have a lot to do with everyone and not just one guy. sparano... god damn no rookie made any progression with him.
I agree with you on that point. Who knows how much talent that coaching staff stunted/ruined. I liked Coach Nolan a lot but the rest... Sparano, Henning, Daboll, etc. were awful. I know there are a lot of Henne bashers here but I feel bad for him having to endure that circus.

The season has yet to begin, which means you're jumping to conclusions way too ****ing early.

The only guy I wanted signed was G Jake Scott. I guess Ireland saw the name on the ring of honor and figured he was still on the team.
Seriously, he would have likely solved the RG spot.
Instead of making a splash signing a bunch of marginal players, we should have just spent the money(whatever we had) on a guy that would be an asset to the team long term.

Back
Top Bottom