Secondary Question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Secondary Question

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Joe Schad pointed out something interesting in his post-game autopsy. Schad Article

It seems to me that on third down we have our corners play OFF of the receivers. We should be doing the opposite. Tight man to man coverage on third down when the CB's know where the receivers are trying to go. In the first 5 yards, they should be SLAMMING the receivers bumping them off track and then tracking them the rest of the way (to the first down line). This seems like a technique thing, and an obvious one. I'm just basing this on what good defenses do on third down. Am I wrong about this?

Joe Schad pointed out something interesting in his post-game autopsy. Schad Article

It seems to me that on third down we have our corners play OFF of the receivers. We should be doing the opposite. Tight man to man coverage on third down when the CB's know where the receivers are trying to go. In the first 5 yards, they should be SLAMMING the receivers bumping them off track and then tracking them the rest of the way (to the first down line). This seems like a technique thing, and an obvious one. I'm just basing this on what good defenses do on third down. Am I wrong about this?

In either case, whether people admit it or not, giving the QB half a quarter to find a receiver doesn't help. The pass rush has disappeared. And I'll add, unlike Miami, the opposition gets YAC on the short stuff. 5 yard pass on 3rd and 11 and the receiver gets 7YAC. I'm more concerned with the short stuff than the 15 yd passes.

Back
Top Bottom