Sentinel: Fins spending nearly 2X on Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sentinel: Fins spending nearly 2X on Defense

TealAttack13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...ry-cap-paul-soliai-quarterback-ryan-tannehill

Interesting little read here.

Sean Smith and Randy Starks are both noticeably missing from this list. There's talk at the end of the article that the team will spend FA money this year improving the offense , while drafting defense to get younger and cheaper. I figured we would lose either Smith or Starks (preferably Smith IMO), but this sounds like we are losing both of them. Maybe they left them off because they are going with people who are already on the books for next year? Like I said before, interesting read.

My thinking has always been to secure the tight end/wr position in free agency and draft defense. Let's say you sign Mike Wallace/Jared Cook this gives you the ability to draft the best defensive player available. Even if they go receiver first, they should focus on the defense.

Dansby/Dimitri P/Kevin Burnett/Richard Marshall are all making way too much.

I kinda believe this might be fairly accurate. Free Agency is where we can get proven weapons for the near-term....then build the defense through the draft...it will cost us less, and we're strongest there now ! This is a better approach than a shotgun approach !

The flaw in the thinking of this article is that simply following the money is not the be all end all of figuring out where the team will go in the draft. The opinion of "they are paying people on defense, so that means they will likely draft to get younger on defense" only makes sense if all of our holes on offense are filled with cheap, long term solutions...which it is not. Our O line is in shambles, the wr core is nonexistent and we have no number 1 tight end. If a good offensive option is there in the draft, the team will draft them...no "higher level thinking" should prove otherwise.

Classic example of an article that expounds on numbers without a true understanding of what is behind them. The solutions to the holes on this team are based on the PEOPLE available in free agency and the draft, not some master plan that is started before the Dolphins even find out who is available and at what price tag.

I would trade Dansby and draft a replacement. 8.5 mil for him? That's inexcusable.

I would trade Dansby and draft a replacement. 8.5 mil for him? That's inexcusable.

8.5 million for one of the best linebackers in the league who is the leader of our defence and is playing great is fine.

Dansby is constantly underappreciated on this forum.

Noticed a lack of Jake Long salary on there. Count that and the numbers get closer together. Not to mention one thing everyone tends to forget: we are not paying a franchise quarterback salary. In 2 years time, our "offensive salary" is going to explode.

Anyways, how in the hell is Richard Marshall one of our top paid defensive players? And how is Incognito our top paid offensive player? $11 million for those two players. Anyone wondering how we got into cap hell last offseason, this is where it starts.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Of all the numbers i saw in that article, Dansby was the one i had the least problems with.

8.5 million for one of the best linebackers in the league who is the leader of our defence and is playing great is fine.

Dansby is constantly underappreciated on this forum.

I don't see Dansby as being that great. We're always getting smoked by tight ends over the middle and runningbacks out of the backfield, largely thanks to Dansby's lack of coverage skills.
He's a good linebacker, but he's certainly replaceable, and I'd much rather allocate big $$ to pass rushers/ coverage guys on defense anyway.

I don't see Dansby as being that great. We're always getting smoked by tight ends over the middle and runningbacks out of the backfield, largely thanks to Dansby's lack of coverage skills.
He's a good linebacker, but he's certainly replaceable, and I'd much rather allocate big $$ to pass rushers/ coverage guys on defense anyway.
Thats just not true. Dansby is actually one of the better cover LB's in the league.

I've been saying for a while that we will likely be rebuilding the LB corps next offseason. The reason is that Dansby and Burnett are likely playing their last big years with us in 2013. They are nearing the end of their big money FA contracts and underperforming them IMHO. This is why I've had 1 or 2 LB's in every mock draft I've I've made this year. We will likely add 1 DL player (likely a DE) and either let Starks walk or trade Odrick. Tony McDaniel will be let go as well. With the Vontae trade and Smith's ultra-high price tag, we'll definitely need at least 1 starting CB. Coupled with our need for 2-3 WR's and at least 1 guy at OL, TE, and RB this offseason ... I think we'll wait until next offseason to rebuild the LB corps.

Remember, these numbers represent 1) $0 for FA's like Long, Bush, Starks, Smith, Hartline, Fasano, Clemons, who prior to this season would almost all have made those lists and are all likely to make them this year or with another team, and 2) the natural salary cap curve of good players coming from their low rookie contracts to the natural and expected much higher 2nd contracts. Guys like Pouncey, Jones and Tannehill will command faaaaaaaaar higher salaries when they reach their 2nd contracts. Our free cap space is artificially inflated by players overperforming their rookie contracts ... which will change. So, it might be best to consider this top 7 on each side of the ball as a top 10 but with the remaining 3 contracts yet to be written. Surely we'll sign a LT. Surely we'll sign a FA WR. Surely the #12 overall pick makes this list, probably on offense. Surely we'll draft or sign RB and TE. Surely we'll sign at least 1 CB, maybe 2.

These salaries also give us a good insight into the draft policy for the Dolphins. With at least 2 LB's needing to be replaced by 2014 and zero depth behind them, we'll almost certainly bring in a young draftee to groom. The DB situation has too many holes, not enough talent, and not nearly enough takeaways to remain in tact. So we will definitely draft at least 1 CB out of those 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Given our tremendous dearth of talent and speed at WR, it's fair to assume we will bring in 1 veteran FA and 2 WR's through the draft, with at least 1 of those WR draftees being in the first couple of rounds. If we don't sign Long or another LT in FA, we'll almost certainly have to draft a LT at #12. Letting Bush go we'll likely draft a mid-round replacement and promote Miller ... but what makes people think we'll keep the multiple-concussion power back Daniel Thomas? Given the high price and poor production of our guards, we will have to bring in at least 1 G for competition.

So looking at it, that's a draft that will include: 1 LB, 1 CB, 2 WR, 1 LT, 1 RB, 1 G. That's 7 of our 9 draft spots almost pre-determined. Sure, we could keep Thomas and add a cheap RB; re-sign Long and delay a new G for a year, but even doing all that we're at 4 of 9 draft picks being at pre-determined positions--2 WR, 1 CB, 1 LB.

Er Dansby is immense he is the central block of our good defense, he could start for any team in the NFL but lets leave that aside, despite the fact we have plenty of cash and draft picks why do you want to remove a central piece of our d to try and improve it? Our starting LB group can compete with anyones, why break that up? Why give us another big draft priority? Sure cut Dansby but then we have to draft a linebacker instead of a corner or WR, you really think that's a good idea?

You don't improve a team by removing your best players, you build around them. If you want a SuperBowl winning defense add corners around Smith, get more linebacker depth, sign extra pass rushers. Add to what we have, don't remove core pieces and replace them.

His 2013 salary is actually closer to $6 million, but his cap number gets bumped over $8 million because of workout bonuses and his signing bonus which is spread out over the length of the contract. Dansby might not be "elite" or a Pro Bowl linebacker, but he is still a very good player. Cutting or trading Dansby this offseason would create over $4.5 million in dead space and would only free up around $3.9 million in cap space. Not worth trying to replace him.

IT's amazaing what Madden has done to the outlook of fans. Fans are more concerned with how much guys make then if they're any good. As a fan I want the best 22 guys we can possibly have starting and don;t give a rats ass about much much they make. Pretty soon they'll be threads about how we can win if we're at the cap floor.

Next year we have to worry about Dansby's contract. $8 million is ok for this year.

Er Dansby is immense he is the central block of our good defense, he could start for any team in the NFL but lets leave that aside, despite the fact we have plenty of cash and draft picks why do you want to remove a central piece of our d to try and improve it? Our starting LB group can compete with anyones, why break that up? Why give us another big draft priority? Sure cut Dansby but then we have to draft a linebacker instead of a corner or WR, you really think that's a good idea?

You don't improve a team by removing your best players, you build around them. If you want a SuperBowl winning defense add corners around Smith, get more linebacker depth, sign extra pass rushers. Add to what we have, don't remove core pieces and replace them.

If cutting Dansby would allow us to make a big push at an Avril or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie then I would do it. Like I said I'd much rather allocate that kind of money (8-10 mil a year) to a big time pass rusher or corner. But, if it's like Nublar says and Dansby's contract wouldn't allow us much cap space this year by cutting him anyway then it's not worth it. If a team would part with a pick for him then that's different but.that's probably not happening.

Back
Top Bottom