Shelby Making a Name for Himself | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shelby Making a Name for Himself

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Midway through the second quarter, with Tampa Bay facing a third-and-9 from its own 21-yard line, Derrick Shelby sacked quarterback Mike Glennon for a 10-yard loss. However, the Dolphins were called for defensive holding and that gave the Buccaneers a first down, even though the penalty didn’t prove costly because the Bucs were forced to punt four plays later.

“It’s all right, it happens,” Shelby said matter-of-factly after practice this week. “What are you going to do? It’s not going officially in the stats, but it’s on film, so it counts to me.”

In many respects, there was something fitting about the play. It was Derrick Shelby doing good work without much fanfare, and he also happened to do it at defensive tackle, which showcased his versatility.

The reality is he’s probably the most versatile of all of the guys in there,” Wake said. “He’s probably the more jack of all trades. He obviously comes in, he subs for me, he can sub for Randy. He’s been stuck in the nose, which obviously is probably something he never thought he’d been doing. He knows every position on the field. He’s kind of that jack of all trades where he can go in at any time, he can do it all. He’s dropping in coverage, he’s running down on kickoffs. I mean, how many guys can take on a double team and run down a kickoff? That’s the kind of guy he is.

“He’s definitely — don’t tell him I said this — a joy to have in that room and on our side. He’s probably the guy who’s come in for me more than anybody and he’s in there making plays, getting to the quarterback. When I think of a guy on this team who really does it all, it’s definitely him.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...-Himself/47f5e6f4-7a64-4838-8eb4-4a842b96dd55

That sack by Shelby was a great play. It doesnt get talked about because it didn't make the stat sheet due to penalty, but he crushed the QB.

He looks better than Jordan when they're both out there.

In all fairness Shelby is going into his 3rd year and didn't have any expectations placed on him. Jordan has been a big disappointment but this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

In all fairness Shelby is going into his 3rd year and didn't have any expectations placed on him. Jordan has been a big disappointment but this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

I hear what your saying but I only go by what I see. Could care less about the expectation. I still think Jordan should be playing LB anyways.

Between Shelby, Fede, OV, and even Jordan we should be fine at DE even when Wake's play starts to decline due to age.

With Wake, Olivier Vernon, Shelby, Fede, we should have a decent DE rotation.

Is Chip Kelly still interested in Dion Jordan?

I hear what your saying but I only go by what I see. Could care less about the expectation. I still think Jordan should be playing LB anyways.

He may end up there next year if he fails to impress this year. Fede could end up getting more run at DE than Jordan...who knows. But then next year he'll be a year behind McCain who is basically doing what Jordan would be doing...then what. He can't crack the starting lineup at DE over Wake and Vernon and may not crack the starting lineup at linebacker behind McCain and Tripp...now you have an overpaid #3 overall pick who's nothing more than a backup.

Back
Top Bottom