Should The Phins Go Back To More 3-4 D? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should The Phins Go Back To More 3-4 D?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Some of us Phinatics were looking for the D to go to a 4-3 for a few years, based on the talent they had. Finally, they made the move. Now, I'm thinking we should be be looking for the D to go back to the 3-4 more, based on the talent we have.

DT- Soliai is a NT, and a VG one. Starks and Odrick are about the same at DT or 3-4 DE, with Starks being VG, and Odrick average so far.

DE/OLB- Wake is Great playing either. Here's where things become questionable between a 4-3 and 3-4. Jordan is not a DE. If he adds 20-30 pounds, he will lose some speed, some of his cover ability, and not be the play maker I envision. Vernon also looked VG in dropping back off the line.

I believe Misi and Ellerbe can play any LB position in either scheme. Don't know a lot on Wheeler but, think he will fit as well.

We do not have a true proven DE (only) on the team but, a number of players who appear to fit a 3-4 better than a 4-3. I can see a hybrid but, coming off a 3-4.

IF Ireland/Philbin/Coyle are thinking the same, they could be looking to sign another 3-4 DE and/or NT this year.

I think the days of the typical base D are over. I mean everyone has what they call their base D but use so many variations of it. We have the personnel to run both defenses which is nice.

Even when we ran the 3-4 Wake was lined up with his hand in the dirt when rushing the passer like 90% of the time. It was never a true 3-4

I'm expecting a hybrid with looks of 4-3 and 3-4. Sure the base is 4-3.
We should not come to the conclusion that Jordan can't play DE either. What would you have said of JT when he was drafted then?

I think we lost some depth at DE for the 3-4 but a front of Starks, Soliai and Odrick with Wake and Jordan at OLB rushing the passer plus Ellerbe and maybe Vernon (who showed himself to be pretty good in coverage and can blitz up the middle) would be very interesting.

I think we lost some depth at DE for the 3-4 but a front of Starks, Soliai and Odrick with Wake and Jordan at OLB rushing the passer plus Ellerbe and maybe Vernon (who showed himself to be pretty good in coverage and can blitz up the middle) would be very interesting.

Agree, think we may add another 3-4 DE for a rotation?

Our front 7 should be pretty dang stout. If Jordan lives up to #3 we'll be even better than anticipated. Hopefully we'll take the ball away a few times this year.

However while I love all that, this is the same team blueprint we've followed since when Parcells then Ireland took over. Ireland finally drafts a Qb high, but fails to dedicate the rest of the last two drafts surrounding him with young talent.

I'm expecting a hybrid with looks of 4-3 and 3-4. Sure the base is 4-3.
We should not come to the conclusion that Jordan can't play DE either. What would you have said of JT when he was drafted then?

Not saying that Jordan can't play DE, just that we should not want him to. JT was different in not having a clue in coverage, and being stronger when he first got here.

Our front 7 should be pretty dang stout. If Jordan lives up to #3 we'll be even better than anticipated. Hopefully we'll take the ball away a few times this year.

However while I love all that, this is the same team blueprint we've followed since when Parcells then Ireland took over. Ireland finally drafts a Qb high, but fails to dedicate the rest of the last two drafts surrounding him with young talent.

Yeah, Miller, Egnew, Sims, and in FA, Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, and Keller don't count? C'MON MAN.

Agree, think we may add another 3-4 DE for a rotation?
Would depend on what their plan is. Outside of Soliai the only person who can play NT is Starks. I suppose Kheeston Randall can play DE in the 3-4 but we're thin there, however, if we only play it sparingly...20 plays or less per game...we should be fine.

Would depend on what their plan is. Outside of Soliai the only person who can play NT is Starks. I suppose Kheeston Randall can play DE in the 3-4 but we're thin there, however, if we only play it sparingly...20 plays or less per game...we should be fine.

I believe we are going to play it at least half the time, and need to add a player or two.

Yeah, Miller, Egnew, Sims, and in FA, Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, and Keller don't count? C'MON MAN.

I'm talking draft, how you build championships. I guarantee you there will be some 2nd/3rd/4th round Wideout that will flash huge playmaking ability Ireland failed to recognize and draft again. It happens EVERY year. Not one offensive playmaker Ireland has been keen to draft in 6 years. And we wonder why we scored 18 points a game last year? You can't keep buying or trading for offensive talent.

This draft was solid, but falls in line with status quo. In my opinion we blew it with the multitude of pics we had to dynamically change our team.

Its looking like out D will be running lots of different looks. So we might be called a base 4-3 team there is enough flexibility of personnel to make teams confused. 3-4, 4-3, 4-4, & 5-2 are all Ds we can run effectively without having a hard drop off in talent. Confuse qbs then go after them hard...good plan.

Back
Top Bottom