Shrine Game Buzz: Monday Evening | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shrine Game Buzz: Monday Evening

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
Here’s the latest news and buzz swirling around the first major pre-draft scouting event of the year as teams have assembled in St Pete, Florida for the annual Shrine Game.

Much has been made as to where Deshaun Watson will end up in the draft. We presently grade the Clemson quarterback as a second round prospect yet there are reports he may end up as a top 15 choice. I can tell you after surveying league people during the first day of Shrine practice the overwhelming belief is Watson will receive second round grades in war rooms.

He’ll grade well in the areas of character and leadership but his accuracy down the field and out to the flanks has been a constant worry. Teams here also question whether or not Watson can play from the pocket.

I do believe Watson could fit into the late part of round one for a team willing to trade up for his services, ala Teddy Bridgewater.

Trey Hendrickson of Florida Atlantic has looked really good in the early going at Shrine practices but many question where will he line up on Sunday. Hendrickson has received an invitation to the combine and has been told he will participate with the defensive linemen then do alternate position drill at linebacker.

Somewhat surprisingly Jimmie Gilbert has not yet received an invitation to the combine, though we expect he will when the second go round of invites are mailed. As reported on our West team page Gilbert tipped the scales at 223lbs today, about ten more than his playing weight at Colorado this season. I spoke at length with Gilbert today and found him to be bright, engaging and very articulate. Gilbert understands what’s ahead of him and is excited about the challenge of playing outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment.

The Tampa Bay Bucs were engaged with Gilbert for a while after today’s practice and the New England Patriots plan to meet with the pass rusher one on one at some point in the week.
While we are here in St Pete for Shrine practices I have one ear on the phone to gather information about the goings on at the NFLPA game.

I’m told one prospect that has really intrigued teams is Albany State (Georgia) defensive lineman Grover Stewart.

Stewart is a specimen measuring 6-feet/4.5-inches and 340lbs. Last week during training at XOS Pensacola he was timed at a 5.05s in the forty. Later, during bench press testing, I’m told Stewart added two big plates to the bar increasing the weight from 225lbs to 315lbs. He then proceeded to complete 17 reps. His personal best at 225lbs is in the high 30’s and his goal for pro-day or at the combine, should he receive an invitation, is in the mid 40’s.
http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-buzz-monday-evening

Back
Top Bottom