Signing both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings/The Pat Riley effect | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Signing both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings/The Pat Riley effect

The Pat Riley effect is getting Jennings and Wallace and Ed Reed, but at 5 million a piece. Good GMs get good players to play for them. Pat Riley gets the best players to take a pay cut to play for him.

He is able to do so 1- bc players want to play in South Florida and 2 - players want to play with Lebron. It wasn't necessarily the case before.

Your point is valid tho, bc that's essentially what Bellichick does. It seems like Bellichick cuts WRs twice a year and they still wait around, hoping to get re-signed by the Pats. They also know that playing with Brady (Lebron) will cause their numbers to drastically increase.

We haven't had that aura in a long time. With this cap space, with the solid, professional locker room we seem to have, with a QB that players rave about, and with a defense that, with the addition of a corner and pass rusher, can be all-world..that aura can be created again. Getting the 2 biggest fish on the market would go along way to transforming this franchise and setting Tannehill up for success..

What Micky Arison did, was give the keys to the franchise to Pat Riley in 1995. Riley did the rest.

That brought the Miami Heat the following things :

Stability - the draft picks, trades, signings, are all the continuation of Riley's vision. No wasted picks/signings from Sparano's regime to Philbin's because the player is not their "kind of player"

Credibility - Pat Riley was a legendary championship head coach before he came to Miami. All of his stories coaching Magic Johnson, Kareem, all of that comes to the Heat.

Identity - Riley made sure the organization stood for WINNING and FAMILY. You come here to the Heat, you get treated well, you get treated with respect, and you can be sure this organization is doing everything to help you WIN championships.

One of the biggest problems the Miami Dolphins have had, is the lack of stability. We went from the greatest coach of all time in Don Shula, and his very long tenure here in Miami, to then cutting all ties with him and his entire staff, and just handing everything to Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy replaced everyone, and then when he quit, left us with Wanny. It's been downhill ever since, changing regimes every few years. What the Dolphins should consider doing, is handing the reigns of the franchise to someone (maybe Philbin?)... exactly like the Patriots do with Bellicheck and the Heat do with Riley. Whoever that person is, has final word on EVERYTHING, and runs the entire show...... they don't answer to the owner, they answer to him (maybe Philbin?)

As far as the other 2...... we already have an identity as a storied championship franchise, so we aren't the Los Angeles Clippers or the Detroit Lions here. The problem is, it was a long, long time ago and our staff has to get us back to winning football before we can polish and shine up our Dolphin logo to restore it's greatness. We have to start winning...... and the public relations issues we have had, and free agents thinking Ireland is a nightmare, well... that can be fixed too.

The similarities are eerie. The Miami Heat endured 3 years of mediocre basketball to get to the summer of 2010, creating cap space along the way, and then shook up the entire sport by signing the big 3.

-The Fins have 40+ millions in cap space.
-Jake Long and Reggie Bush and Randy Starks come off the books, with cheaper, viable replacements in place in Jonathan Martin and Lamar Miller and Jared Odrick
-Jeff Ireland is working for an owner in Stephen Ross that has given him a vote of confidence, is changing uniforms, upgrading the stadium (which is inevitable IMO) and legitimately wants to usher in a new era of Dolphins football. By all accounts, he is looking to go big..
-Waning fan interest in Dolphins football, in juxtaposition to the rise of the Miami Heat, whom they compete with for entertainment dollars
-5 years of investment in the defensive and offensive line, with no glaring holes on either
-a defense that looks to be, at the very least, SOUND for the foreseeable future
-exciting building blocks at 2 of the most important positions in an NFL organization: QB & Head Coach
-a plethora of draft picks, especially in the first 100. Cheap labor..
-arguably a top 3 slot receiver under contract in Davone Bess
-a destination in Miami where half the league probably already owns homes, no state income tax, etc

Assume that Greg Jennings takes a contract that pays him 8 mil (against the cap). Assume that Mike Wallace accepts a contract for 10 mil (against the cap). For the sake of this hypothetical, lets assume both contracts are for 4 years..

Why is this so absurd a notion? I have been arguing with friends and wrestling with it myself, but don't Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace perfectly complement each other? If you asked for the prototypes at both WR positions, you'd essentially come up with Wallace & Jennings.

-Mike Wallace is the burner, capable of going deep, getting YAC, and pushing the safety far out of the box.
-Greg Jennings (like Antonio Brown) is the route runner that can create separation with his elite route running.
-Both are proven in the league, unlike a receiver able to be had in the 1st round of the draft

Why not go for both? You'd still have 20+ million in cap space and all of your picks. In this scenario, i'd love to see Tyler Eifert (1st down machine) in the first, but signing these 2 essentially allows you to draft BPA throughout the draft, and/or go for a defensive end or corner back in the 1st. If both were signed, i don't think anyone here would have a problem even trading back and drafting a right tackle in the first round.

Imagine this offense..

QB-Ryan Tannehill
OL-Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey, Josh Samuda, John Jerry (this is for the hypothetical, not trying to argue the merits of THIS particular lineup)
TE-Eifert
FB-Charles Clay (Clay, assuming he bulks and embraces the FB position, would be a dynamic pass catcher at the FB position)
RB-Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
WR-Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Davone Bess, Rishard Matthews

Before i get attacked, answer me this question: why not?

Nobody thought what Pat Riley did was possible, but it was, and he made it happen..partially bc of Riley's foresight, partially bc Dwyane Wade helped recruit these guys, and partially bc this is Miami..and when on the rise, this is where athletes want to be.

There is no question that these guys can both contribute for the next 4 years. Both are respected in their respective locker rooms. So again, i'll ask...

why not?

Why not?

220pxMadden_NFL_13_cover-1.png

:ponder:

What? Why not Megatron? Do i think im playing Madden? I have no clue what you're getting at..

..i made a logical argument as to why they could and should pursue and try to land both. I'm looking for fellow fans to tell me where my logic fails, or if it holds up. You could opt to contribute, if you like. Or you could just confuse me by posting pictures of vide game covers.

I see what you are saying. Rather than giving Hartline (nice player, cannot score or keep his feet) 6 mil, sign Jennings for 8, then sign Wallace for 10. It is completely do-able. I dont see why people think signing hartline and one of the two(wallace, jennings) is something we will do but signing the 2 FA and letting hartline go is SO out of the picture. A risk you run is missing out on Wallace, as Jennings already seemingly reached out to Philbin.

IF we miss out on wallace and hartline walks, we can draft a WR early. If we hit on both Jennings and Wallace, we still have all of our picks to daft CB DE TE LT and somemoney in FA.

I think adding Wallace and Jennings would be awesome especially since Hartline wants 6m/yr. That means your only paying a few more million for Jennings. It could be done.

Sign Wallace straight up and essentially trade Jennings for Hartline (let Hartline move on). Only about $2 or 3 million more and you have 2 elite guys at BOTH positions.

Signing just Jennings is ridiculous, he's a 2 or 3 when we need a 1. Adding more slot/midrange guys makes as much sense as getting a letgo noonoo. But of course we did that so hold the phone guys. I'm sure ireland has the PERFECT solution such as going after ryan swope with our 2nd round pick. That would fix it ALL.... :rolleyes2:

I would rather see us pick up Jennings and Bowe . Jennings would be move chains and bowe would go up and get ball out of the air.

Too many holes on this team, to concentrate 20mil on the outside. The OP, does alot of 'assume' ing in his post. Well in REAL life, the top dollar gets you the best players in the NFL, or the best FAs. Your analogy to basketball holds no water. NFL football players aren't guareented much of anything. Hence, when you are a FA, you go for your pay day.

Add the risk of injury, and NYY type money to a 32yr old gets you in hot water. And there is this thing called the CAP. You are trying to build a house of cards. No depth.

This team needs to concentrate on TE, WR, CB and the oline. But I guess we can assume this upcoming drafts 5th 6th and 7th round picks will all be starters. And will play at a high level.:crazy:

Why not? with 47 million under the cap...its not very often you have a chance to sign 2 playmakers......sign Wallace for 10mil and Jennings for 9mil per yr. and move on.......

Too many holes on this team, to concentrate 20mil on the outside. The OP, does alot of 'assume' ing in his post. Well in REAL life, the top dollar gets you the best players in the NFL, or the best FAs. Your analogy to basketball holds no water. NFL football players aren't guareented much of anything. Hence, when you are a FA, you go for your pay day.

Add the risk of injury, and NYY type money to a 32yr old gets you in hot water. And there is this thing called the CAP. You are trying to build a house of cards. No depth.

This team needs to concentrate on TE, WR, CB and the oline. But I guess we can assume this upcoming drafts 5th 6th and 7th round picks will all be starters. And will play at a high level.:crazy:

1-You try and acquire Wallace & Jennings, and the "holes" at WR are gone. Jennings will make only a couple of million more than Hartline
2-"Assuming" is one word. Feel free to use it accordingly.
3-Paul Soliai turned down bigger money form the Broncos to stay in Miami
4-How does "creating cap space", as Riley did and now Ireland has done, hold no water?
5-Greg Jennings is 29, and I didn't know 8 million per year is "New York Yankees" money. Mike Wallace is 26, and his 10 million would net the Yankees a decent-to-good starting pitcher.
6-CAP! Thank you! I completely forgot about the cap. You, seemingly, forgot that we have 40+ mil to spend..and although the CAP is the CAP, we have a plethora of draft picks to either draft talent or acquire talent from other teams.
7-So drafting a WR is a safer bet than signing a proven one? Hmm.
8-We have 5 picks in the first 100. So following your logic, we could use those picks to draft the positions your so worried about...and also draft backups and/or projects with our 5th, 6th, 7th rounders.

:thanks:

1-You try and acquire Wallace & Jennings, and the "holes" at WR are gone. Jennings will make only a couple of million more than Hartline
2-"Assuming" is one word. Feel free to use it accordingly.
3-Paul Soliai turned down bigger money form the Broncos to stay in Miami
4-How does "creating cap space", as Riley did and now Ireland has done, hold no water?
5-Greg Jennings is 29, and I didn't know 8 million per year is "New York Yankees" money. Mike Wallace is 26, and his 10 million would net the Yankees a decent-to-good starting pitcher.
6-CAP! Thank you! I completely forgot about the cap. You, seemingly, forgot that we have 40+ mil to spend..and although the CAP is the CAP, we have a plethora of draft picks to either draft talent or acquire talent from other teams.
7-So drafting a WR is a safer bet than signing a proven one? Hmm.
8-We have 5 picks in the first 100. So following your logic, we could use those picks to draft the positions your so worried about...and also draft backups and/or projects with our 5th, 6th, 7th rounders.

:thanks:

First off, I used the phrase "assume" ing on purpose. I know the difference I understand basic english literature and wording. Feel free to keep the grammar police to a minimum please.

Also, I did put into context, that spending 20mil on the outside while many positions need to be filled is crazy. This team needs players at TE, CB and OLINE along w/ some quality depth. You cannot and will not do that with 20mil locked up on the outside. Soliai, was also tagged, making him one of the if not the highest paid NT. That helped ease his concerns in the long run financially. Jennings, and the other FAs will seek top dollar. Don't kid yourself. The assuming you did on their contracts is ... well I will leave that there.

And with that CAP you need to build a team. A whole team. Depth at all positions. This 40mil you and others harp on, is fine and dandy. But you have to spend it wisely. Smiley ring any bells?

So in short, while your hypothetical nonsense, is fine in Madden land. It has shown very little success in the modern day NFL.

For the extra 10mil used on the outside, you can bring in a FA TE and OLINEman. While adding depth through the draft. Its about spending your money wisely. PITT and GB are both doing it now, by letting such players walk. TB on the other hand, was 'forced' to spend. Brought in a whole lot of FA's and the results were very comparable to what MIA did this year. Draft and develop. Fill multiple positions smartly with the money you have. Multiple as in, not just one position. Your hypothetical starting oline, is absolute trash. The goal is to put Tannehill in the best position to succeed. Having him with a oline comparable to the Bears line won't do that.

When GB had Jennings, Driver and Nelson, did it stop them from DRAFTING more talent a WR? Depth. ITs what allows you to have continued success in the NFL.

But I will stop now. THis topic is absurd on so many levels. Family, friends and food await. Everyone have a good day. And enjoy the SB.

But I will stop now. THis topic is absurd on so many levels. Family, friends and food await. Everyone have a good day. And enjoy the SB.

It is really not that absurd as far as I am concerned because if you are going to resign Hartline and bring in Wallace/Greg Jennings, might as well spend a couple more millions to sign both of them.

WR:Wallace/Jennings/Bess/Rishard Matthews
FB: Charles Clay (this gives you more option on the fied).
TE: Fasano(blocking) and a draftee.

This would allow us to load up on defense through the draft(a DE, two CBs)

lol C'mon bro. I really hope you weren't complaining about the lack of playmakers during the season. Now that we have a shot to be special we should take it...build through the draft for big men and defensive backs...get proven talent at skill positions, as drafting skill positions is obviously not Ireland's strength. Wallace and Jennings is possible, doable, and awesome. How anyone could not fall in love with the idea is beyond me.

We are all Fin fans and a brotherhood..i didn't mean to sound condescending. But let's f'ing go big for once, we got a qb and a General in Philbin...lets take our shot with some young, proven studs.

btw what a friggin game!

Back
Top Bottom