Six teams with the best chance to beat the Patriots | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Six teams with the best chance to beat the Patriots

Fins1971

C'mon Dolphins
Club Member
Reaction score
Dolphins getting some love here.

5) Miami Dolphins

Regular-season matchups with the Patriots: Nov. 26 (Week 12), at Gillette Stadium; Dec. 11 (Week 14), at Hard Rock Stadium.

Why they can do it: Once in a great while, there is an AFC East opponent capable of consistently troubling the Patriots. The Jets during Rex Ryan's zenith were one of those teams. The Adam Gase-led Dolphins could be another. Miami did not shy away from its veteran-laden roster this offseason, doubling down on its hope to become an intimidating, smash-mouth unit. In a lot of ways, the Dolphins are built like the Jets early in the Ryan era, with stars at wide receiver and running back and studs at linebacker and defensive tackle. The one missing component, of course, is stability across the secondary. Byron Maxwell showed an ability to play up to (and above) his potential last year, though Miami would still need an otherworldly performance from Ndamukong Suh, Cameron Wake, Charles Harris and the rest to make this happen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-with-the-best-chance-to-beat-the-patriots

I must say that this is a huge media backing. The other 5 teams they mention are all teams that have proven to play the Patriots closely. The fact that we were thrown in there seems to be more about us finishing second recently than having anybreal shot to overthrow the Patriots ... but ill take the positive press. It is nice for a change.

Seeing that Miami has two shots at pulling off the feat I would say the Dolphins chances are better than anybody else the Patriots play.

Interesting. I don't see it but as a fan I appreciate the love.

Means little but at least it's different for a change.

For me it's like rolling dice and trying to get double 6's. Sure the odds are against us, but the more rolls you get the better chances you have of it happening once. Miami's beat them a few times in Miami in recent years... anything can happen.

I like the point the one gal brought up. Of course we have to have the talent, but a big part of it is psychological. We have to have confidence in ourselves and our coaching that we CAN beat the Patriots. With Gase and some vets (Stills, Suh, Wake, Tannehill, etc.) I think we have that. Our schedule is tough, it's gonna be an interesting year.

Last year was the first year we've been swept by the Pats in 4 years, so I'd say there's a chance we can beat them in one of the two.

Tough to say now. We need to know who will be on the field come then. I would have loved to get them early on. We've had success in that spot in the past.

TJ McDonald should be settled in by then.

I know people are going to get on me about this, but I believe Reshad plays FS when Mcdonald gets back.

Mcdonald cannot play it and Reshad is probably our fastest defender in the secondary with GREAT acceleration.

Reshad was a FS at Georgia.

I don't think a guy of his caliber and skill set will have any trouble switching for the team.

A secondary of Howard, Mcdonald, Jones, and Maxwell is a damn good secondary.

Our D will look like this

Wake/Hayes, Suh, Phillips, Branch/Harris-Dline
Misi/Mcmillan, Timmons, Kiko-Lbers
Howard/Tankersley, Mcdonald/Allen, Jones, Maxwell/Lippett, McCain-Dbs

Compare that to last year and it's night a day.

I love what we did this offseason. Smart FO finally!!!

I know people are going to get on me about this, but I believe Reshad plays FS when Mcdonald gets back.

Mcdonald cannot play it and Reshad is probably our fastest defender in the secondary with GREAT acceleration.

Reshad was a FS at Georgia.

I don't think a guy of his caliber and skill set will have any trouble switching for the team.

A secondary of Howard, Mcdonald, Jones, and Maxwell is a damn good secondary.

Our D will look like this

Wake/Hayes, Suh, Phillips, Branch/Harris-Dline
Misi/Mcmillan, Timmons, Kiko-Lbers
Howard/Tankersley, Mcdonald/Allen, Jones, Maxwell/Lippett, McCain-Dbs

Compare that to last year and it's night a day.

I love what we did this offseason. Smart FO finally!!!

Man, Hayes and McDonald seem like the spoils of war. Same with Timmons.

Reshad could play free safety and have it turn out better than McDonald at free.

Both Reshad and Nate Allen came into the league eight years ago. It's been awhile since we've had a couple of savvy safeties. That secondary has a shot to be really good.

I'd like to see all three safeties on the field in nickel and dime.

Back
Top Bottom