"Skeptic View of Dolphin Draft" (not my true view) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Skeptic View of Dolphin Draft" (not my true view)

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I wanted to play devil's advocate and propose a purely skeptical view of the Dolphin draft, some based on the views of various experts and part my own.

Jake Long - terrible feet for left tackle, good run blocker, but do you pay him 50 million? Terrible value for first pick. And now we get to see him abused by the first round pick of the JETS? Can it get any worse?

Philip Merling - when observed limping at mini-camp he told reporters that was his natural walk. What? Can you say injury report every Sunday? Great value for a guy that will not likely take the field that much?
Not to speak the fact that he is not perfectly suited to the 3-4 to begin with. Some value there.

Chad Henne - little mobility, eractic, hot and cold. There is a reason he dropped to us and was purely used as a smoke screen for other teams in the first round. Two 2nd round picks in two years that are not going to start on a regular basis. Sounds like the drafts of old. At least we didn't trade for this one, but wait, yes we did. We gave up our best receiver for this one.

Kendall Langford - small school level of competition that almost every draft expert said the Dolphins reached for. Yes, he is more suited for the 3-4 end and has "good feet", but he couldn't even stay on his feet at the combine. Could have been selected later in the draft. A defensive back would have made more sense. And the Dolphins reached on a guy when they could have stayed at their pick and got the Smith kid from UCF.

Shawn Murphy - A total reach according to most every draft review dude, and 25 on top of that. Mature, age wise yes, but what about football. He is moving from tackle to guard and will have to show quick savy. Character, great if you can play. And we traded an up and coming running back for this guy, no offense Dale.

Jalen Parmele - I knew this pick was in trouble when folks could not even get him family orgin correct. How many questions are going to be asked about his relation to Bernie? No, he is not related. Got some speed, but so straight linish you could predict where his is headed pretty much every time. This guy wasn't even projectet to be drafted to begin with. And he is going to replace Booker?

Donald Thomas, the guy is so raw at playing football he might get it by the time he has been on the practice squad for the limit. By then the Dolphins will have had multiple shots to draft guys that do get it.

Lex Hillard - Well, I guess they realized they made a mistake when they drafted Parmalee, I mean Parmele, and tried again to find a guy that wasn't even projected to get drafted. Yes, his highlights are impressive, but wouldn't yours if it was against Eastern Washington and Portland St.

Lionel Dotson - well well, another flyer on a defensive lineman for the practice squad. Called the L-Train? Well you got to get on the tracks to be a train at all don't you. Unlikely contributor.

Wow. Another sure fire move in the direction to 1-15. Might even make that impossible move toward 0-16. Then all of us can talk draft in October.

Lee2000 (remember, this is an act and I am much more optimistic than you think)

:d-day:

is there even a point to this post?

I wanted to play devil's advocate and propose a purely skeptical view of the Dolphin draft, some based on the views of various experts and part my own.

Jake Long - terrible feet for left tackle, good run blocker, but do you pay him 50 million? Terrible value for first pick. And now we get to see him abused by the first round pick of the JETS? Can it get any worse?

Philip Merling - when observed limping at mini-camp he told reporters that was his natural walk. What? Can you say injury report every Sunday? Great value for a guy that will not likely take the field that much?
Not to speak the fact that he is not perfectly suited to the 3-4 to begin with. Some value there.

Chad Henne - little mobility, eractic, hot and cold. There is a reason he dropped to us and was purely used as a smoke screen for other teams in the first round. Two 2nd round picks in two years that are not going to start on a regular basis. Sounds like the drafts of old. At least we didn't trade for this one, but wait, yes we did. We gave up our best receiver for this one.

Kendall Langford - small school level of competition that almost every draft expert said the Dolphins reached for. Yes, he is more suited for the 3-4 end and has "good feet", but he couldn't even stay on his feet at the combine. Could have been selected later in the draft. A defensive back would have made more sense. And the Dolphins reached on a guy when they could have stayed at their pick and got the Smith kid from UCF.

Shawn Murphy - A total reach according to most every draft review dude, and 25 on top of that. Mature, age wise yes, but what about football. He is moving from tackle to guard and will have to show quick savy. Character, great if you can play. And we traded an up and coming running back for this guy, no offense Dale.

Jalen Parmele - I knew this pick was in trouble when folks could not even get him family orgin correct. How many questions are going to be asked about his relation to Bernie? No, he is not related. Got some speed, but so straight linish you could predict where his is headed pretty much every time. This guy wasn't even projectet to be drafted to begin with. And he is going to replace Booker?

Donald Thomas, the guy is so raw at playing football he might get it by the time he has been on the practice squad for the limit. By then the Dolphins will have had multiple shots to draft guys that do get it.

Lex Hillard - Well, I guess they realized they made a mistake when they drafted Parmalee, I mean Parmele, and tried again to find a guy that wasn't even projected to get drafted. Yes, his highlights are impressive, but wouldn't yours if it was against Eastern Washington and Portland St.

Lionel Dotson - well well, another flyer on a defensive lineman for the practice squad. Called the L-Train? Well you got to get on the tracks to be a train at all don't you. Unlikely contributor.

Wow. Another sure fire move in the direction to 1-15. Might even make that impossible move toward 0-16. Then all of us can talk draft in October.

Lee2000 (remember, this is an act and I am much more optimistic than you think)

:d-day:

So basically you are calling our entire 2008 draft a bust at every single pick.. LOL.. Im glad I only scimmed through the post instead of actually reading it.

So basically you are calling our entire 2008 draft a bust at every single pick.. LOL.. Im glad I only scimmed through the post instead of actually reading it.

It is actually quite apparent you didn't read it because then you would have seen it was not serious, as in a joke.

Lee2000:rolleyes:

is there even a point to this post?

if there is one, Im not sure what it is except to try to play draft analyst before the players even take the field... Pretty good way of evaluating NFL talent... NOT

if there is one, Im not sure what it is except to try to play draft analyst before the players even take the field... Pretty good way of evaluating NFL talent... NOT

It was a joke fellows. I tried to make that point. I am not a draft analyst, but I slept at Motel Six last night:shakeno:.

Lee2000

Lee i understand the perspective you took, and mentioned playing "devils advocate", and i know that your post isn't exactly what you think is going to happen.

That being said... I agree with toning down expectations. Never hurts.

I just hope your comments don't come true!

ok, i'm pretty sure you can take a cynical stance on EVERY nfl draft pick:

2.Chris Long-smallish for the nfl, great motor but not the fastest guy on the field. not enough pure talent for #2 overall money?
3.Matt Ryan-takes too many chancnes, threw a significant amount of INTs in a conference that has been on the decline over the past few years.
4.Darrin Mcfadden-off the field issues, see Mike Mayock for his impressions of McFadden on the field.
5.-Glen Dorsey-MAJOR injury concerns
6.Vernon Gholston-takes plays off. motivation a concern

see where i'm going with this? there are months between the end of the college football season and the nfl draft. guys get dissected because "experts" run out of things to talk about.

Well I sure hope you are wrong. I have read a couple of drafnit thread that were a bit down on Long as a LT and Henne as a great QB but the rest of the draft came out solid. just hate to see us again release so many player or former draft picks becuase they do not fit the current scheme of whatever coaching staff happens to be floating through at the time. Hopefully with Bill Parcells background etc we hit pay dirt this time around.

ok, i'm pretty sure you can take a cynical stance on EVERY nfl draft pick:

2.Chris Long-smallish for the nfl, great motor but not the fastest guy on the field. not enough pure talent for #2 overall money?
3.Matt Ryan-takes too many chancnes, threw a significant amount of INTs in a conference that has been on the decline over the past few years.
4.Darrin Mcfadden-off the field issues, see Mike Mayock for his impressions of McFadden on the field.
5.-Glen Dorsey-MAJOR injury concerns
6.Vernon Gholston-takes plays off. motivation a concern

see where i'm going with this? there are months between the end of the college football season and the nfl draft. guys get dissected because "experts" run out of things to talk about.

They ARE NOT nice ones

Back
Top Bottom