Skins RT Moses gets big 5 yr extension, wonder if it will impact J James contract | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Skins RT Moses gets big 5 yr extension, wonder if it will impact J James contract

Rhoadsy13

Starter
Reaction score
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter

RT Moses gets a 5 yr extension making him the 2nd highest paid RT. Wonder what impact this will have on Juwan James contract extension possibly. To be honest I thought Inrecall hearing Moses really struggle early on but he must have improved significantly to get this big extension. I really like James & hope we can work out a long term extension for him.

I don't think we resign him unless he has a great season this year. So it doesn't really matter at this point.

I don't think we resign him unless he has a great season this year. So it doesn't really matter at this point.

I disagree. We will probably try to extend him to keep the continuity going (as long as he looks decent/average). No reason to keep creating holes. If he plays average/above average, I'm for keeping him around. He shouldn't be the 3rd highest paid- no doubt.

Only 3 options. We extend him or pick up the 5th year option or let him go. I don't want yet another hole on the o-line so I hope they can work something out soon

Ozzy rules!!

I think the best thing to do at this point is to go ahead and extend him. Offensive linemen are a premium in this league, and even though there's mixed views about James here on Finheaven, he's been pretty solid early on in his career. Guard will likely still be an issue next offseason, and center probably will be a need as well. Don't want to create another.

People are looking at saving the cap hit...

This cheapskate approach to FA leaves a stink on all who touch it....

It would be dumb to let him walk.

Just to replace him?

He's a solid lineman. Solid enough to keep on the right side of our line.

Make him room wioth Michael Thomas when we travel this season so he can talk to him about the importance of taking less to stay put.

Decision on James' 5th year option is coming up next week Tuesday (May 2nd). Personally, I think we should opt-out but still sign him to a long-term contract at a more reasonable rate. I believe the actual option is $8.1M

"The Dolphins seem to need right tackle Ja’Wuan James, but exercising the team option on him for 2018 would make him one of the top 10 highest-paid players on the roster as it stands now.

James, who is a 24-year-old still on his rookie contract, will play the upcoming season with a $2.7 million salary cap hit. However, Miami must decide by May 2 whether it wants to commit to paying him about $8 million in a fifth-year option. Otherwise, he would become an unrestricted free agent. "

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...-rt-jawuan-james-8-million-fifth-year-option/

May as well pick up the option, it's only GTD for injury.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter

RT Moses gets a 5 yr extension making him the 2nd highest paid RT. Wonder what impact this will have on Juwan James contract extension possibly. To be honest I thought Inrecall hearing Moses really struggle early on but he must have improved significantly to get this big extension. I really like James & hope we can work out a long term extension for him.

It is funny how tis guy publicly appealed to Miami to drat him in 2014. He was there as Miami traded down twice in the second rd. Before Washington traded for him in the3rd. Philbin wanted Carr but to no avail. James was a reach but a need. Hopefully the whole team agree on a player going forward.
Its my humble opinion that James is not an $8mill player plus there are tons of options at disposal.

Decision on James' 5th year option is coming up next week Tuesday (May 2nd). Personally, I think we should opt-out but still sign him to a long-term contract at a more reasonable rate. I believe the actual option is $8.1M

"The Dolphins seem to need right tackle Ja’Wuan James, but exercising the team option on him for 2018 would make him one of the top 10 highest-paid players on the roster as it stands now.

James, who is a 24-year-old still on his rookie contract, will play the upcoming season with a $2.7 million salary cap hit. However, Miami must decide by May 2 whether it wants to commit to paying him about $8 million in a fifth-year option. Otherwise, he would become an unrestricted free agent. "

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...-rt-jawuan-james-8-million-fifth-year-option/

I think there is a misunderstanding that comes with 5th year options.

5th year option is a benefit to the team. PBP uses the word "commit" but the team can "technically" cut James prior to the league year opening and be off the hook from that guarantee. The only thing that benefits the player is that if he is injured he is guaranteed that 8.1 million no matter what.

The player is more likely to look at a longtem deal as is the team next offseason and the fifth year option tends to serve as part of that "guaranteed" portion.

I'd almost suggest there is a 95% chance that Miami puts the 5th year option on him before the deadline, 4% chance they reach an extension before the deadline and a 1% chance they don't opt in or reach an extension.

I think there is a misunderstanding that comes with 5th year options.

5th year option is a benefit to the team. PBP uses the word "commit" but the team can "technically" cut James prior to the league year opening and be off the hook from that guarantee. The only thing that benefits the player is that if he is injured he is guaranteed that 8.1 million no matter what.

The player is more likely to look at a longtem deal as is the team next offseason and the fifth year option tends to serve as part of that "guaranteed" portion.

I'd almost suggest there is a 95% chance that Miami puts the 5th year option on him before the deadline, 4% chance they reach an extension before the deadline and a 1% chance they don't opt in or reach an extension.

Okay that makes more sense since that gives the team a window to negotiate a long term contract between the 3rd of May and the first day of the 2018 League Year (which should be in March 2018).

However the caveat is, if James ends this year injured, then you can't cut him to save money.

Okay that makes more sense since that gives the team a window to negotiate a long term contract between the 3rd of May and the first day of the 2018 League Year (which should be in March 2018).

However the caveat is, if James ends this year injured, then you can't cut him to save money.

Yep that is the downside. Worse case if he just flat out has a bad year and subsequently he gets hurt towards the end of it then it looks bad in hindsight.

But the positives certainly outweigh the negatives from the teams POV.

Back
Top Bottom