Slimm's 2013 Prospects (Seniors) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2013 Prospects (Seniors)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
I've already started a thread on a few of the underclassman I like for the 2013 class should they declare eligible, this thread is for some of the more underrated Senior prospects as I run across 'em.

First up is a 6'3", 205 pound receiver from Marshall with 4.4 speed by the name of Aaron Dobson. He was only a 2-star recruit coming out of high school and thus been able to glide under the radar for the most part during his first 3 seasons in C-USA.

As a freshman, Dobson averaged 24.1 yards/catch, which was 4th best in the country among receivers with at least 15 receptions.

He just finished up his Junior season with 49 receptions, 668 yards, and 12 TD's. His 12 TD receptions were tied for 7th in the country, and accomplished it with the fewest catches among all those in the top 7 for touchdown receptions in the country.

In his first 3 seasons, he's totaled 108 catches, for 1,719 yards, and 21 TD's. Dobson has done all this without a legitimate quarterback to throw him the football.

His vertical speed and explosion off the LOS is evident on the field, along with outstanding body control and ability to use his frame in order to go up and get the football against DB's. He still needs some refinement on technique and field awareness isn't yet where it needs to be. Shows the ability to use a foot-fire release and defeat press coverage and avoid the jam. Dobson isn't a finished product, but should have a big Senior season ahead of him if he stays healthy.

Vs. FIU in 2011 Beef O' Brady's Bowl:

[video=youtube;0AhUAgSqy-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhUAgSqy-U&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

It don't get any better than this right here:

[video=youtube;YCdFFFAxLz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0[/video]

Probably not going to be a need but I've obviously already done a lot of work on TE Joseph Fauria of UCLA. Though Levine Toilolo or Tyler Eifert could come out and ruin Fauria's party.

Kenny Vaccaro interests me but the son of a bitch just got himself arrested a few days ago. Note to self. If you're at a bar and some police officers ask you to leave, leave.

I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o. Alex Okafor would be a nice prospect but he got pinched by the police right alongside Vaccaro.

Not sure I see why people like Johnny Adams so much.

I've already started a thread on a few of the underclassman I like for the 2013 class should they declare eligible, this thread is for some of the more underrated Senior prospects as I run across 'em.

First up is a 6'3", 205 pound receiver from Marshall with 4.4 speed by the name of Aaron Dobson. He was only a 2-star recruit coming out of high school and thus been able to glide under the radar for the most part during his first 3 seasons in C-USA.

As a freshman, Dobson averaged 24.1 yards/catch, which was 4th best in the country among receivers with at least 15 receptions.

He just finished up his Junior season with 49 receptions, 668 yards, and 12 TD's. His 12 TD receptions were tied for 7th in the country, and accomplished it with the fewest catches among all those in the top 7 for touchdown receptions in the country.

In his first 3 seasons, he's totaled 108 catches, for 1,719 yards, and 21 TD's. Dobson has done all this without a legitimate quarterback to throw him the football.

His vertical speed and explosion off the LOS is evident on the field, along with outstanding body control and ability to use his frame in order to go up and get the football against DB's. He still needs some refinement on technique and field awareness isn't yet where it needs to be. Shows the ability to use a foot-fire release and defeat press coverage and avoid the jam. Dobson isn't a finished product, but should have a big Senior season ahead of him if he stays healthy.

Vs. FIU in 2011 Beef O' Brady's Bowl:

[video=youtube;0AhUAgSqy-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhUAgSqy-U&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

It don't get any better than this right here:

[video=youtube;YCdFFFAxLz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0[/video]
guy reminds me of a faster gadsen. where is he projected? def going to keep an eye on him this next year

Probably not going to be a need but I've obviously already done a lot of work on TE Joseph Fauria of UCLA. Though Levine Toilolo or Tyler Eifert could come out and ruin Fauria's party.

Kenny Vaccaro interests me but the son of a bitch just got himself arrested a few days ago. Note to self. If you're at a bar and some police officers ask you to leave, leave.

I think Shayne Skov if healthy is actually a better ILB than Manti Te'o. Alex Okafor would be a nice prospect but he got pinched by the police right alongside Vaccaro.

Not sure I see why people like Johnny Adams so much.

If this is the only poor conduct on Vaccaro or Okafor's resume I doubt it'll affect 'em much. Skov's DUI he got himself back in February will probably have more of an affect on his status. A lot of these kids have been getting arrested.... including Montee Ball and Sammy Watkins.

Terry Hawthorne is the best Senior cornerback prospect in the Big-Ten in my opinion...followed by Micah Hyde. I don't know who prefers Johnny Adams but it ain't me.

guy reminds me of a faster gadsen. where is he projected? def going to keep an eye on him this next year

I don't worry too much about where kids are projected... all I do is assess them based on what grade I give.

Dobson almost entered the 2012 draft and submitted his paperwork to the committee. His Senior season will determine where he goes inside the top 100 picks or so. Right now without playing another down I'd project him inside the first 3 rounds. A big Senior season could push him towards the 1st round. He's not a finished product as I mentioned, which is essentially why he chose to come back for his Senior season.

He's one of the top Senior receivers in the 2013 class in my opinion.

This kid is probably going to be one of the most interesting prospects in the 2013 draft.

SMU defensive end Margus Hunt...

He came to SMU from Estonia as a track and field athlete, until SMU dropped it's men's track and field program. He tried out for the football team and earned a scholarship.

Hunt was a Gold Medalist in the World Junior Championships in Beijing back in 2006 in the shot/discus for Estonia. He became the first junior athlete ever to win a shot/discus gold medal double. He's also the current World junior record holder in the discus throw.

He's one of the best athletes in the United States right now.... reportedly runs in the 4.6 - 4.7 range, locks out 35 reps of 225, hang cleans 384 pounds, snatches 345 pounds, and has a 36" vertical at 6'8", 295 pounds.

The last DE to come close to those type workout numbers at similar size was Mario Williams, who was the #1 pick in the draft. Now, the difference is that Williams produced on the football field for N.C. State. Hunt hasn't yet come close to matching Mario Williams' college output, but you get the idea of what type of athlete he is. By the same token, he's not a bad player either. I just watched Kansas City draft a defensive tackle from the same conference, with essentially the same production as Hunt with the #11 overall pick in the draft based off his combine numbers by the name of Dontari Poe.

Hunt set a record as a freshman by blocking 7 kicks. He blocked 3 more as a sophomore, and 4 more last year. He's blocked 14 kicks in 3 seasons.

He plays defensive end in SMU's 3-4 defense under Tom Mason. His production is about right where it should be playing that position in college.

They line him up and rush him in a conventional manner with his hand on the ground lined up as a 1, 2, and 5 technique. He'll also play from a 2-point stance and get out to the flat covering the backs/tight ends out of the backfield.

You don't just go out and recruit humans like this. That I'll guarantee.

Vs. Pittsburgh:

[video=youtube;DXIV8LYURsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXIV8LYURsc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Southern Utah quarterback Brad Sorensen is going to be one of the top small school sleepers in the 2013 draft. He's a transfer from BYU who ended up going the JUCO route because all of the D-1 schools who were offering him backed off after learning he planned to go do his LDS mission after high school.

Big kid at 6'4", 230 pounds, and looks big on the field. Has played against some small school NFL talent in the form of Cal-Poly cornerback Asa Jackson.

Positives:

+Big, strong kid with a sturdy frame

+Strong arm that threatens every zone and every part of the field

+Quick, clean, efficient release... which is why he spins the football so cleanly

+Recognizes blitzes and hits his hot reads

+Solid decision maker and will hit his checkdown when necessary

+Throws with excellent touch on required throws

+Tremendous poise and pocket presence

+Understands how to manage the pocket

+Operates mainly from the gun, but does operate some from under center (mainly play-action bootlegs)

+Short stride and stays balanced, which makes his release that much quicker

+Follows through with his mechanics

+Squares his shoulders to the target when throwing on the run. Throws off proper foot

+Will come off his 1st read and work through his progressions to get to his 2nd, and sometimes 3rd option

+Understands coverages and how to attack the weaknesses of each

+3 years of starting experience

Negatives:

-Will be a little old for a rookie...about 25 years of age

-Level of competition

He plays the quarterback position in a mature manner, which is what I like to see. One of the better small school quarterback prospects I've scouted.

[video=youtube;jORMM1DxVPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jORMM1DxVPs[/video]

Thanks for posting these insights Slimm, Would have thought you would be giving your eyes a break from film work. Thanks for your time.

Arkansas tight end Chris Gragg flat out gets after it in the blocking department. One of the more quality blocking tight ends you'll find in the college game nowdays despite not being the best equipped to do it. If a lot of these bigger TE's that are subpar blockers blocked the way Gragg does, they'd be a lot more coveted on draft day.

Came out of high school as a 2-star wide receiver and put on about 40 pounds since arriving in Fayetteville. Plays in-line, H-back, Wing-back, and flexed out at about 6'3", 235 pounds now.

Strong runner after the catch. Only caught 8 passes as a sophomore playing behind D.J. Williams 2 years ago, but averaged 21.3 yard/catch.

Production increased as a Junior to the tune of 41 receptions, 518 yards, and 2 TD's after earning the starting role upon Williams going pro. Should have a big Senior season. Might catch upwards of 60 passes this year.

Nice mid-round prospect.

vs. Mississippi St:

[video=youtube;49dhCOLxzDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49dhCOLxzDE[/video]

Favorite line from that Hunt video: His only football before this was in a video game.

Lol

100% agree.... I'm an ND Fan but think Te'o is overrated. Love the way Skov plays... reckless but controlled abandon

i agree, i cant believe he got a dui. i dont get why so many talented players put themselves in bad situations

Shamarko Thomas / S / Syracuse

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 208

This kid is one of the best athletes that will enter the 2013 draft. A lot of coaches like to use the term "freak" when discussing Shamarko Thomas. One of Syracuse's coaches recently took Thomas to a Nike National camp and they had the medicine ball throw where you get on your knees and throw it. They had it measured off where they thought guys would throw it. Thomas threw it past the allotted area by 10 or 15 feet. Prompting the coach running the event to say, "That's crazy". The biggest lineman there who measured 6'5", 300+ pounds didn't even get half the distance that Shamarko Thomas did.

He's already reportedly ran two 40 yard dashes for NFL scouts that were both sub-4.3 when he almost entered the 2012 Draft and submitted his paperwork.

His work ethic is legendary. Only a 2-star recruit, and originally signed with Louisville before deciding on Syracuse, he's become a force defensively in the Big-East through sheer determination and hard work. He considers Ray Lewis' his mentor and patterns his work ethic after Lewis. He eats, sleeps, and breathes football. All he wants to do is workout in order to become the best player he can be.

Here's a little article that talks about how when his teammates come to visit and want to play video games, etc.... he's out pushing his car.... uphill.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/10/syracuse_university_football_s_7.html

This is all he does. Here's a little workout with teammate Tyson Gulley:

[video=youtube;s4GCm4hbQAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4GCm4hbQAY&feature=related[/video]

One of those sub-4.3 dashes:

[video=youtube;imogy2itViA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imogy2itViA&feature=related[/video]

Coaches like to use Thomas up near the LOS, as an overhanging and/or flat defender within inverted coverages. Physical player made of solid granite with outstanding game speed. Tremendous blitzer and tackler. He has some Troy Polamalu type qualities when he came out of USC.

[video=youtube;SqBKAw7pvMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqBKAw7pvMw[/video]

Back
Top Bottom