Slimm's 2013 prospects (underclassman)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, Apr 20, 2012.

1. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Since I've long been exhausted myself on this year's prospects and see no point in talking in circles about it any longer, I always like to refresh myself by looking forward to next year's crop of talented players. The truth is, I'd rather watch 3 hours worth of games on college prospects than sit through 3 hours of a Dolphins game. That's just me.

This is a thread that I'll use to talk about some of my personal favorites for the 2013 class....

Whenever I want to look for talented but potentially very underrated college defensive players, I always like to start in Starkville. Mississippi St. never lets me down in this aspect, as I always find gems there. I found Fletcher Cox there almost a year ago before anyone other than his parents even knew who he was. Trace it back to kids like Pernell McPhee, K.J. Wright, etc... even Fred Smoot.

One kid who constantly popped off the screen for me over the past 2 seasons for Mississippi St. in the secondary is a kid by the name of Nickoe Whitley....

Let me make this perfectly clear.... this kid is without a doubt one of the most violent hitters and explosive tacklers that I've ever seen patrol the secondary of a defense in the SEC. He was only a redshirt sophomore this past season, and missed the last 4 or 5 games of the season with an achilles injury, and so far during the spring he's been held out of spring practice while he continues to heal. He'll be ready for fall camp and to resume his role as the enforcer in the Bulldogs' secondary come September.

He's such an explosive and violent hitter, that I've listened to receivers and coaches talk about how they had to scale him back in practice in the past in order for Dan Mullen and coach Koenning to run their offense. Receivers Arceto Clark and Chad Bumphis were afraid to catch passes over the middle in practice due to Whitley knocking their helmets off.

Whitley redshirted his first year on campus before taking over and starting 11 games as a freshman and earning SEC All-Freshman Honors. In addition to his devastating hitting power and precise control he exhibits in his striking (putting his hat on the football) which leads to forced fumbles, he also possesses excellent range and ball skills. He's already accumulated 7 interceptions in only 20 starts.

He'll be a redshirt Junior this upcoming season and I think he'll probably go ahead and enter 2013 draft as an underclassmen, although that's strictly my assumption.

Here's a few clips that illustrate his rare combination of ball skills, range, and devastating hitting power, along with the precision in which he uses his ability to strike in order to put balls on the carpet, and ball carriers out of the game.

This is probably the part that best sums up his physicality and explosive ability as a striker. On the first play here vs. Kentucky, he comes up and takes out a 300+ pound pulling guard in open space by the name of Larry Warford, knocking his helmet off and knocking him clean to the ground.... and still comes off to make the tackle on the ball carrier and force a fumble. You just don't see this type of ability out of a safety.

The following play, La'Rod King tries to make a move on him with the ball in his hands in the open field, but with no success. Whitley comes in full speed and puts a precise strike on the football to cause yet another fumble.

Less than 3 minutes into this game, he's been in on 2 tackles, forced 2 fumbles, resulting in both players leaving the game for a short period:

[video=youtube;XW7EsnIzOnY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW7EsnIzOnY[/video]

This is the new breed of safety that you don't come across often. The combination of ball skills, explosive and accurate striking, and ability to cause turnovers makes him a rare breed of safety. The type of kid that teams look for to play in a Quarters coverage who can force turnovers both by coverage downfield, and in run support.

I look for him to be one of the best defensive backs in all of college football this upcoming season. In fact, along with Corey Broomfield and Johnthan Banks, Mississippi St. has one of the best secondaries in the entire country... perhaps the best in the SEC. That's saying something.

2. TedSlimmJr

This is an incredible one-handed interception of Ryan Mallett during Whitley's freshman season that provides a glance at his range and ball skills:

[video=youtube;mj7fW1eu1Aw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7fW1eu1Aw[/video]

3. TedSlimmJr

Another one vs. Cam Newton:

[video=youtube;N1IRmP7e48o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1IRmP7e48o&feature=related[/video]

4. TedSlimmJr

He comes in like a patriot missile in pads here and puts down Spencer Ware who's one of the most physical backs in the SEC with assurance:

[video=youtube;p9UvE3IjCeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UvE3IjCeI[/video]

5. TedSlimmJr

Here's another example of his rare ability to strike not only with extreme violence, but surgical precision on Washaun Ealey. This was one of the biggest plays of the season for Mississippi St.'s defense and probably turned their season around:

[video=youtube;n5oLdJoeJpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5oLdJoeJpA[/video]

6. TedSlimmJr

He actually knocked himself out in the process here when he hit Emory Blake... one of the best receivers in the SEC who will get plenty of attention as the upcoming season unfolds:

[video=youtube;TqZuGvYqQJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqZuGvYqQJU[/video]

7. insom187

insom187 Fin fan in hostile territory

If he doesn't kill himself before getting into the NFL I'd take him. Where would you project him as of now as I have absolutely no idea? Lol

8. TedSlimmJr

These clips don't even really do him justice. Provine produces a lot of good high school players from the state of Mississippi and I've watched him play for 2 years. He looks like 1st round talent to me.

By the end of this upcoming season, he'll be mentioned as one of the best safeties in the country. He already is.... people just don't know it yet.

If there's one question scouts will have about him it'll be long speed. He's probably a high 4.5 or low 4.6 kid on a stopwatch, but his game speed is much faster because he doesn't take false steps away from the action.

9. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Great ability for sure, but could he be another Bob Sanders and ends up getting himself broken all the time?

10. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

I think that's the million dollar question

11. TedSlimmJr

Now this next kid is another very talented underclassman that I like by the name of Stedman Bailey. He's from Miami and was high school teammates with Geno Smith at Miramar, also his quarterback at West Virginia. Bailey was recruited hard by several SEC schools.... I think he had 5 offers from SEC schools.

He's not a big receiver at around 5'10", 190... but he does what I like to see. He runs his routes at full speed. That's one of the first things you have to learn as a route runner in order to be effective at it and set DB's up in order to separate.... and he's a consistent hands catcher that doesn't allow the ball into his body. He consistently does a few things on tape that are essential in order to be a big time player, and quality NFL wide receiver prospect:

1. Defeat the jam at the LOS with technique
    2. Separate against man coverage via route running
    3. Ability to track difficult passes with the eyes over the improper shoulder
    4. Displays the attitude that the ball is his in 50/50, or jump ball situations
    5. Block downfield and on the perimeter with tremendous effort

He exploded this past season as a sophomore with 72 receptions, 1,279 yards, and 12 TD's. Averaged almost 18 yards per reception.

In this first clip, the first thing I take notice of is the shell coverage. They're playing a C2 with press-man across the board underneath with the cornerbacks. Bailey immediately defeates the press coverage at the LOS and gets a seam release to the inside. He gets the DB to turn his hips on his 4th step which is exactly how you coach it. Once the DB flips his hips, Bailey shoots back across his face and threatens the seam that the safety is responsible for. Dana Holgorson likes to "tag" the backside receiver routes... in other words, the receiver adjusts his route on the fly by reading the coverage. Bailey sees that the safety is flat footed and looking in the opposite direction towards the strength of the formation (the 2 receiver side) and Bailey stretches him vertically... runs right by what is supposed to be the last line of defense in this shell look. In Cover-2 the safeties are required to be deeper than the deepest receiver, and wider than the widest receiver....in this case he's neither... and Bailey runs right by him and continues to separate at the top of his route until the ball arrives.

Then he delivers a stiff arm and displays his RAC ability:

[video=youtube;RNFu9m60KpM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFu9m60KpM&feature=related[/video]

12. TedSlimmJr

What you're looking at right here is the only TD reception that Morris Claiborne gave up all season... it was to Stedman Bailey.

If you really study this matchup, it was an outstanding 1-on-1 battle all game between these two. Bailey never backed down the entire game and was extremely physical with Claiborne the entire night. He blocked him, fought him, scored on him.... you name it.

[video=youtube;DjQw3d4lNM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjQw3d4lNM0&feature=relmfu[/video]

13. TedSlimmJr

In this situation, Bailey displays the clutch in his gut.

It's 4th down & 10 with the score tied and the game on the line. You can clearly see that the CB and safety have Bailey bracketed here pre-snap in an attempt to double cover him.

This clutch reception was never supposed to happen by design:

[video=youtube;dWww3kR5tH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWww3kR5tH4[/video]

14. TedSlimmJr

This is what I mean by he understands how to attack the football in the air in 1-on-1 situations against tight man coverage. In 50/50 situations, he has the attitude that the ball is his. You must possess this trait to develope the trust in your quarterback. Geno Smith has this trust in Stedman Bailey.

Nevermind that he does it with one hand:

[video=youtube;DpC3UjA2x10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpC3UjA2x10&feature=relmfu[/video]

15. TedSlimmJr

Concentration... tips it to himself in the endzone for the touchdown.

[video=youtube;aMfK4xL8fQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfK4xL8fQ8&feature=relmfu[/video]

16. TedSlimmJr

Here is the outstanding ability to track the football with his eyes looking back over the improper shoulder. A lot of receivers cannot do this. Bailey does it consistently.

The awareness and balance afterwards speak for themselves:

[video=youtube;8RPIgc05aSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RPIgc05aSU&feature=relmfu[/video]

17. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

That guy Whitley hits with malice, very impressive. I think my favorite is the way he took that guard out and forced the fumble with no hat on.

18. TedSlimmJr

Let's go down the list again:

Defeats the jam at the LOS scrimmage here... separates at the top of his route against man coverage as the ball arrives... tracks the football with his eyes over his outside shoulder... and the beat goes on.

[video=youtube;9aH-LeQ1fD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aH-LeQ1fD0&feature=relmfu[/video]

Folks, this is what scouts are looking for. The ability to perform these skills and execute them with consistency. Consistency being the key word.

He reminds me of Derrick Mason.

19. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Aren't best in the SEC & best in the nation synonymous?

20. TedSlimmJr

Absolutely... and that's why it's worded the way that it is.

My point was that it's saying something if you potentially have the best secondary in the SEC.

Mississippi St.'s secondary is right there with LSU and Bama's next year in regards to the quality of the starters. The difference is in the quality of depth once you reach beyond the starters.

21. TedSlimmJr

Speaking of secondaries... my next kid was in my opinion the best player in Oklahoma St.'s secondary, and he was only a sophomore last year.

Forget about Markelle Martin... Justin Gilbert was the best player in OSU's secondary this past season, and the best player on the defense, period.

He finished tied for the team lead with 5 interceptions and had 10 PBU's. He's got the size you look for at about 6'0", 205 pounds... elite athlete with tremendous speed and smoothness in the hips.

What makes him special is his added return ability on special teams. He averaged over 27 yards/return last year with 2 touchdowns. He's probably the fastest player in the Big-12.

Outstanding kick returner with everything he needs to develope into a legitimate top 15 pick:

He burned Oklahoma here as a freshman:

[video=youtube;gsF00XCiJZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsF00XCiJZk[/video]

22. TedSlimmJr

...and Texas here this past season:

[video=youtube;J57Mh_xqH8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57Mh_xqH8M[/video]

23. TedSlimmJr

Damontre Moore / OLB / Texas A&M

Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 245

Moore's sophomore season consisted of 72 tackles, 17.5 TFL's, 8.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 QB-hurries, and 1 PBU. He plays from a 2-point stance and moves around in the 'joker' position within aTm's 3-4 alignment.

I noticed a lot of things I liked about Moore when looking at his games against Kansas St. and Texas:

+Takes pure angles to the action (ball)

+They don't mind leaving him in man coverage.... always gets a nice chuck on the TE and jams him to disrupt the route

+Closes in a hurry

+Shows terrific football IQ against the option by playing the correct leverage when he's the "force" defender. Takes away the pitch man and forces to the QB back inside after he keeps it

+Overpowers the left tackle with his bull rush and pushes him back into the legs of Collin Klein, forcing the incompletion on 3rd down

+Stacks-and-sheds 2 blocks on one play to make a stop

+Always hustles and chases plays down even when he's not involved in the action. Always there to clean up....always around the football. You'll often hear how some players "just have a knack" for recovering fumbles, etc. Well, that's because they're always hustling. Just being around the football and being close to it puts you in position to make those types of plays.

+Shows the ability to beat tackles with his 1st step and get them to open up... bend the arc and get flat back to the quarterback

+Experienced dropping into coverage and has great awareness in zone drops

+Got himself out of position on a play from inside the 10 yardline against K-State in overtime... hustled and got back in time to force a fumble right at the goalline

+Re-directs well

+Has an effective spin move back inside when he needs it, but doesn't use it often.

Negatives:

-Needs to be a little more consistent with technique. Didn't get his head across the body of Collin Klein and missed a sure sack because of it

I'll be watching this kid to see how he fares against the SEC week in and week out. I like him a lot. Reminds me a little bit of Kyle Wilber, just better.

vs. Kansas St.

[video=youtube;DciH6GgnDCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DciH6GgnDCc[/video]

vs. Texas:

[video=youtube;c3meXiUNjr8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3meXiUNjr8&feature=related[/video]

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I think Marquess Wilson will be the best receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft when all is said and done.

25. torontodolpfan1

torontodolpfan1 Member

26. TedSlimmJr

Corey Lemonier / DE / Auburn

Weight: 240

Lemonier weighed 225 pounds when he came out of high school 2 years ago as a 4-star recruit. Saban recruited him to play the 'jack' linebacker position at Bama before he signed with Auburn. Tallied 13.5 TFL's, 9.5 sacks, 15 QB-hurries, 5 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, and a blocked kick during his first season as a full time starter for Auburn in the SEC. He needs to continue adding weight to his frame and working on fundamentals.

Positives:

+Very good first step, quickness, and athleticism

+Already has a devastating spin move in his repertoire

+Disciplined when force player vs. option

+Long arms

+Ability to lock out and get full extension to maintain hip gap between himself and engaged blocker

+Plays with urgency

Negatives:

-Needs to continue working on fundamentals - plays high

-Must use rip technique better to get leverage in order to prevent being push so far beyond the QB on speed rush

-Allowed himself to get reached by Aron White vs. Georgia - doesn't understand how to defeat reach block yet

-Needs to continue adding weight/bulk

Lemonier has immense potential, he just needs to continue developing and working in fundamentals. Should be improved and even more of a force as a Junior in 2013.

vs. Georgia:

[video=youtube;UuTwKEGs7uI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuTwKEGs7uI[/video]

vs. Florida/Arkansas:

[video=youtube;nrsR9cmASpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsR9cmASpc[/video]

27. TedSlimmJr

Chris Borland / LB / Wisconsin

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 245

Reminds me a little bit of Mychal Kendricks. Reads his keys extremely well. Flows to the action without taking false steps. Works his way through clutter and has nice instincts for the inside. Not many linebackers get off the ground as fast as this kid. Breaks down well and plays balanced. Will sneak some interceptions in coverage if you're not paying attention. Already has 3 for his career, despite missing the final 11 games of 2011 due to shoulder surgery.

INT vs. Purdue:

[video=youtube;paHmzJvRa4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHmzJvRa4Q[/video]

vs. Michigan St.:

[video=youtube;YFuKiIXizec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFuKiIXizec[/video]

28. ckparrothead

Two players that deserve a lot more feature in this thread than I'm about to give in this single post include Bjoern Werner of Florida State and James Gayle of Virginia Tech.

Werner has crazy ability and could be another J.J. Watt. He just looks like a man amongst boys a lot of the time. I don't know if he'll come out next year but if he does, watch out. He's a little underrated because of his coming from Germany and being relatively new to the sport but I don't care about the back story, I'm just going off the film, and the film tells me, holy crap this kid could be awesome.

The other one is James Gayle of Virgina Tech. I never make this comparison, ever...but his style, not necessarily skill, but his style reminds me of Jason Taylor.

In fact if I had to rank defensive end/pass rush players in the 2013 NFL Draft for their overall ability as displayed on the tape that I've watched, not paying attention to back stories or history, character, not even really knowing the stats of any of these guys, this is how I would put it:

1. Bjoern Werner, Florida State
    2. James Gayle, Virginia Tech
    3a. Barkevious Mingo, LSU
    3b. Jarvis Jones, Georgia
    5. Alex Okafor, Texas
    6. William Gholston, Michigan State
    7. Cory Lemonier, Auburn
    8. Sam Montgomery, LSU
    9. Brandon Jenkins, Florida State
    10a. Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
    10b. Michael Buchanan, Illinois

Now keep in mind, we've got a whole year more's worth of tape to digest from all these guys, and the great thing about young players in college is they keep developing and may surprise you for better or worse. Sometimes they get heavier and just start looking worse. Sometimes guys that were paddle stepping before as they tried to bend the arc are suddenly getting it right. Sometimes guys that had no eyes for the ball suddenly track it a lot better. That's the fun of all this. But this is my current read on the 2013 NFL Draft's pass rushers.

TedSlimmJr mentioned in another threat Margus Hunt. I haven't reviewed his defensive work in a while, close to a year. But if I was forced to rank him as a pass rusher rather than a defensive tackle (which is my first instinct), I might at this moment be tempted to put him above Jeffcoat and Buchanan, because I really don't like those two.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  29. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Completely agree, the kid is a stud. US Colleges need to start paying attention to the talent in Europe more.

I know you didn't want to talk about the back story, but considering his 'newness' to the sport [although he did play in the Junior league in Germany] - his technique is very good... and once he has pro coaching, I can only see it skyrocketing.

30. ckparrothead

To me, I don't even necessarily attribute any of his raw technique or instincts to his heritage or background. He's a sophomore, and he'll have to leave school early even to come out in 2013. He could very well stay until 2014. I don't expect a finished product as a sophomore, certainly.

31. TedSlimmJr

Justin Hunter / WR / Tennessee

Weight: 200

I've been a big proponent of this kid since he exploded onto the scene in the SEC as a freshman with his big play ability. Caught 16 passes his freshman season, for 415 yards (nearly a 26 yards/catch average) and 7 touchdowns.

Last year as a sophomore caught 16 passes, for 302 yards (nearly a 19 yards/catch average) and 2 touchdowns in his first 2 games. Tore his knee up on his first catch of the game against Florida in the 3rd game and missed the rest of the season.

Incredible athlete. Track star who's track and field records and accomplishments in the 100m, 200m, long jump, high jump, triple jump, etc. are numerous. A 4-star football recruit with 4.4 speed at 6'4", 200 pounds. However, what impresses me the most about Hunter is the way he plays the receiver position for such a young player.

Positives:

+Tremendous vertical threat - might be the best in the country

+Runs difficult routes for a young receiver and makes them look easy - sells his routes to set up DB's

+Very good route runner that sinks his hips and explodes out of breaks - creates separation

+Will use his length and block on the perimeter for screens, reverses, passes out of the backfield to the back

+High points the football in jump ball situations and outmuscle DB's

+Hands catcher that knows how to catch the ball away from his body

+Will go over the middle and make tough catches in traffic - take the hit and make the catch

+Has some run-after-catch-ability

+Tracks the football and adjust to it

+Quality kid with good character - doesn't show any diva qualities

Negatives:

-Slight frame and needs to continue filling out his frame - add some bulk

-Has to show he's back from the knee injury

Hunter has some elements of A.J. Green/Charles Rogers in his game, with better vertical speed. Explosive talent with legitimate upside and showed steady improvement during his career.

vs. Cincinnati:

[video=youtube;T90LUDD4LpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90LUDD4LpQ[/video]

32. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Have stood next to Mr Werner in the entrance tunnel of the Croyle-Moore hes physically a large fully grown man. I'll bet bucks the usual FSU "mistake" of over listing a players height/weight. I'll bet hes bigger than 6'4" 272.
    http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/werner_bjoern00.html

33. ckparrothead

If Justin Hunter comes back healthy and shows he can stay that way he's the one receiver I've had it in the back of my mind that could challenge Marquess Wilson for top receiver honors. I like Robert Woods and Keenan Allen, but they're not there. Justin Hunter might be.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Well 6'4" and 272 lbs is pretty damn big so if he's bigger than that, yikes. I think the listing is probably right (for once).

34. TedSlimmJr

Continuing on with underclassman that I believe are either underrated or on the verge of breaking out, next up is Matt Elam. Most college football fans who follow recruiting at all know all about this kid coming out of high school.

Matt Elam / S / Florida
    Weight: 205

Positives:

+Extremely assignment sound for a young safety, you don't see it enough in college, or the NFL for that matter

+Fabulous athlete that moves like a runningback

+Shows flexibility and burst in his hips to turn and run with receivers in man coverage... is asked to do it more in Muschamp's defense than most safeties

+Makes a lot of plays and gets in the right positions through dedicated film study...another rarity for a young safety

+Versatile and asked to do a variety of different things (blitzing, making plays behind the LOS, man-coverage in the slot, force player on jet sweeps, etc.) all of which he's effective at. Knows Muschamp's defense...

+Great work ethic

+Instincts

Negatives:

-Not what you would consider a ballhawk.. doesn't make plays many plays on the ball in the air. Has some trouble turning and locating the football, and drops a lot of potential interceptions

Good kid with a great work ethic, nice instincts, self starter with leadership skills, and willing to do all the things it takes to be a standout defender in the SEC, and eventually a solid pro. Looks like he could play either safety position, and an ideal fit for the current NFL where the line between the two traditional safety positions has become blurred in a passing league. This is a kid that I believe is on the verge of becoming an elite player in the SEC, and ready to put it all on display as a Junior in 2012.

35. ckparrothead

I was just talking with some people about Elam the other day on Twitter. He's a guy whose lack of discipline, particularly with respect to hand use, will probably turn some ratings services off...but who will be a good pro nonetheless because he's got great instincts, good athleticism, a vicious ball-oriented mentality, good size and good hips.

To me the whole not a ballhawk thing needs to be explored further and detailed more, especially this coming season, because he's got a very attacking, ball-oriented mentality. What he lacks is just good, disciplined hands. That affects him in multiple ways, not just dropping easy potential interceptions but also the simple fact that he's not a good wrap-up tackler, or is prone to getting a stupid penalty here and there for illegal hand use. He just needs to learn to be more disciplined with his hands. He has a ball hawk hiding in there, because he's got the instincts and mentality for attacking the football, not just the offensive player but the football itself.

36. TedSlimmJr

I'll stick with Florida here and talk about one of the most dangerous vertical threats and kick returners in the land with Andre Debose. He doesn't get targeted a lot, as most of the passes went to tight end Jordan Reed or Chris Rainey out of the backfield. Florida's quarterback situation was a mess anyway with John Brantley, but it became a disaster after Courtney Upshaw knocked him out for a couple of weeks. The freshmen QB's simply weren't ready to play in the SEC.

Although Debose doesn't get targeted a lot, it's usually a big one he does. He flat out smoked Dre Kirkpatrick and Robert Lester for a 65 yard TD on the first play of the game vs. Alabama, and ran past Morris Claiborne for another 65 yard TD the following week. He's a dangerous kick returner with magnificant open field running skills and the speed to outrun angles.

Andre Debose / WR / Florida
    Weight: 190

Positives:

+Elite speed and acceleration

+Decisive runner that sees a crease and hits it quickly on kick returns. Gets north/south and doesn't hesitate

+Will lower his shoulder and finish at the end of plays. One of his best attributes... and you don't coach that in a player

+Dangerous on shallow crosses due to his run-after-catch-ability... not afraid to go make catches in the middle of the field

+Displays strong hands and likes to catch the ball at it's highest point away from his body with his hands... even when he's all alone and not required. Does it fielding kickoffs even, rather than cradle the ball in like a lot of players

+Will eat up a DB's cushion quickly and force him to flip his hips, allowing himself to create some separation on comebacks

+Can defeat press coverage even against the best CB's in the country. Defenses afraid to play him like that too often because they know if they miss the jam... it's over

Negatives:

-Undeveloped as a route runner this early in his career. Streaks, shallow crosses, and comebacks are what he's best at right now

-Doesn't yet have a great feel for how to find the soft spot in a zone and settle, or read a defender's intent

-Only 16 receptions as a sophomore last year, although averaged 27 yards per reception. Needs to become more of a chain mover and prove he's a clutch target to become a complete package

The positives far outweigh the negatives on this kid at this stage in his development. Things he must improve on are typical of young receivers with his skillset. I like the way he plays the game and the attitude... doesn't mind contact or mixing it up in a rugged conference. Explosive player with the right blend of athletic arrogance and certain uncoachable traits as a skill position player that appeals to folks like me.

37. TedSlimmJr

*Underclassman Runningbacks (Balanced):

1. Marcus Lattimore / South Carolina / 6'0" - 230

2. Michael Dyer / Arkansas Baptist / 5'9" - 210

3. Eddie Lacy / Alabama / 5'11" - 220

4. Spencer Ware / LSU / 5'11" - 223

5. Giovani Bernard / North Carolina / 5'10" - 205

6. Michael Ford / LSU / 5'10" - 215

7. Charles Sims / Houston / 6'0" - 205

8. Silas Redd / USC / 5'10" - 210

9. Waymon James / TCU / 5'8" - 205