Slimm's 2013 prospects (underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2013 prospects (underclassman)

Here is the outstanding ability to track the football with his eyes looking back over the improper shoulder. A lot of receivers cannot do this. Bailey does it consistently.

The awareness and balance afterwards speak for themselves:

[video=youtube;8RPIgc05aSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RPIgc05aSU&feature=relmfu[/video]

That guy Whitley hits with malice, very impressive. I think my favorite is the way he took that guard out and forced the fumble with no hat on.

Let's go down the list again:

Defeats the jam at the LOS scrimmage here... separates at the top of his route against man coverage as the ball arrives... tracks the football with his eyes over his outside shoulder... and the beat goes on.

[video=youtube;9aH-LeQ1fD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aH-LeQ1fD0&feature=relmfu[/video]

Folks, this is what scouts are looking for. The ability to perform these skills and execute them with consistency. Consistency being the key word.

He reminds me of Derrick Mason.

Aren't best in the SEC & best in the nation synonymous?

Absolutely... and that's why it's worded the way that it is.

My point was that it's saying something if you potentially have the best secondary in the SEC.

Mississippi St.'s secondary is right there with LSU and Bama's next year in regards to the quality of the starters. The difference is in the quality of depth once you reach beyond the starters.

Speaking of secondaries... my next kid was in my opinion the best player in Oklahoma St.'s secondary, and he was only a sophomore last year.

Forget about Markelle Martin... Justin Gilbert was the best player in OSU's secondary this past season, and the best player on the defense, period.

He finished tied for the team lead with 5 interceptions and had 10 PBU's. He's got the size you look for at about 6'0", 205 pounds... elite athlete with tremendous speed and smoothness in the hips.

What makes him special is his added return ability on special teams. He averaged over 27 yards/return last year with 2 touchdowns. He's probably the fastest player in the Big-12.

Outstanding kick returner with everything he needs to develope into a legitimate top 15 pick:

He burned Oklahoma here as a freshman:

[video=youtube;gsF00XCiJZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsF00XCiJZk[/video]

...and Texas here this past season:

[video=youtube;J57Mh_xqH8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57Mh_xqH8M[/video]

Damontre Moore / OLB / Texas A&M

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 245

Moore's sophomore season consisted of 72 tackles, 17.5 TFL's, 8.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 QB-hurries, and 1 PBU. He plays from a 2-point stance and moves around in the 'joker' position within aTm's 3-4 alignment.

I noticed a lot of things I liked about Moore when looking at his games against Kansas St. and Texas:

+Takes pure angles to the action (ball)

+They don't mind leaving him in man coverage.... always gets a nice chuck on the TE and jams him to disrupt the route

+Closes in a hurry

+Shows terrific football IQ against the option by playing the correct leverage when he's the "force" defender. Takes away the pitch man and forces to the QB back inside after he keeps it

+Overpowers the left tackle with his bull rush and pushes him back into the legs of Collin Klein, forcing the incompletion on 3rd down

+Stacks-and-sheds 2 blocks on one play to make a stop

+Always hustles and chases plays down even when he's not involved in the action. Always there to clean up....always around the football. You'll often hear how some players "just have a knack" for recovering fumbles, etc. Well, that's because they're always hustling. Just being around the football and being close to it puts you in position to make those types of plays.

+Shows the ability to beat tackles with his 1st step and get them to open up... bend the arc and get flat back to the quarterback

+Experienced dropping into coverage and has great awareness in zone drops

+Got himself out of position on a play from inside the 10 yardline against K-State in overtime... hustled and got back in time to force a fumble right at the goalline

+Re-directs well

+Has an effective spin move back inside when he needs it, but doesn't use it often.

Negatives:

-Needs to be a little more consistent with technique. Didn't get his head across the body of Collin Klein and missed a sure sack because of it

I'll be watching this kid to see how he fares against the SEC week in and week out. I like him a lot. Reminds me a little bit of Kyle Wilber, just better.

vs. Kansas St.

[video=youtube;DciH6GgnDCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DciH6GgnDCc[/video]

vs. Texas:

[video=youtube;c3meXiUNjr8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3meXiUNjr8&feature=related[/video]

I think Marquess Wilson will be the best receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft when all is said and done.

Corey Lemonier / DE / Auburn

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 240

Lemonier weighed 225 pounds when he came out of high school 2 years ago as a 4-star recruit. Saban recruited him to play the 'jack' linebacker position at Bama before he signed with Auburn. Tallied 13.5 TFL's, 9.5 sacks, 15 QB-hurries, 5 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, and a blocked kick during his first season as a full time starter for Auburn in the SEC. He needs to continue adding weight to his frame and working on fundamentals.

Positives:

+Very good first step, quickness, and athleticism

+Already has a devastating spin move in his repertoire

+Disciplined when force player vs. option

+Long arms

+Ability to lock out and get full extension to maintain hip gap between himself and engaged blocker

+Plays with urgency

Negatives:

-Needs to continue working on fundamentals - plays high

-Must use rip technique better to get leverage in order to prevent being push so far beyond the QB on speed rush

-Allowed himself to get reached by Aron White vs. Georgia - doesn't understand how to defeat reach block yet

-Needs to continue adding weight/bulk

Lemonier has immense potential, he just needs to continue developing and working in fundamentals. Should be improved and even more of a force as a Junior in 2013.

vs. Georgia:

[video=youtube;UuTwKEGs7uI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuTwKEGs7uI[/video]

vs. Florida/Arkansas:

[video=youtube;nrsR9cmASpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsR9cmASpc[/video]

Chris Borland / LB / Wisconsin

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 245

Reminds me a little bit of Mychal Kendricks. Reads his keys extremely well. Flows to the action without taking false steps. Works his way through clutter and has nice instincts for the inside. Not many linebackers get off the ground as fast as this kid. Breaks down well and plays balanced. Will sneak some interceptions in coverage if you're not paying attention. Already has 3 for his career, despite missing the final 11 games of 2011 due to shoulder surgery.

INT vs. Purdue:

[video=youtube;paHmzJvRa4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHmzJvRa4Q[/video]

vs. Michigan St.:

[video=youtube;YFuKiIXizec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFuKiIXizec[/video]

Two players that deserve a lot more feature in this thread than I'm about to give in this single post include Bjoern Werner of Florida State and James Gayle of Virginia Tech.

Werner has crazy ability and could be another J.J. Watt. He just looks like a man amongst boys a lot of the time. I don't know if he'll come out next year but if he does, watch out. He's a little underrated because of his coming from Germany and being relatively new to the sport but I don't care about the back story, I'm just going off the film, and the film tells me, holy crap this kid could be awesome.

The other one is James Gayle of Virgina Tech. I never make this comparison, ever...but his style, not necessarily skill, but his style reminds me of Jason Taylor.

In fact if I had to rank defensive end/pass rush players in the 2013 NFL Draft for their overall ability as displayed on the tape that I've watched, not paying attention to back stories or history, character, not even really knowing the stats of any of these guys, this is how I would put it:

1. Bjoern Werner, Florida State
2. James Gayle, Virginia Tech
3a. Barkevious Mingo, LSU
3b. Jarvis Jones, Georgia
5. Alex Okafor, Texas
6. William Gholston, Michigan State
7. Cory Lemonier, Auburn
8. Sam Montgomery, LSU
9. Brandon Jenkins, Florida State
10a. Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
10b. Michael Buchanan, Illinois

Now keep in mind, we've got a whole year more's worth of tape to digest from all these guys, and the great thing about young players in college is they keep developing and may surprise you for better or worse. Sometimes they get heavier and just start looking worse. Sometimes guys that were paddle stepping before as they tried to bend the arc are suddenly getting it right. Sometimes guys that had no eyes for the ball suddenly track it a lot better. That's the fun of all this. But this is my current read on the 2013 NFL Draft's pass rushers.

TedSlimmJr mentioned in another threat Margus Hunt. I haven't reviewed his defensive work in a while, close to a year. But if I was forced to rank him as a pass rusher rather than a defensive tackle (which is my first instinct), I might at this moment be tempted to put him above Jeffcoat and Buchanan, because I really don't like those two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Werner has crazy ability and could be another J.J. Watt. He just looks like a man amongst boys a lot of the time. I don't know if he'll come out next year but if he does, watch out. He's a little underrated because of his coming from Germany and being relatively new to the sport but I don't care about the back story, I'm just going off the film, and the film tells me, holy crap this kid could be awesome.

Completely agree, the kid is a stud. US Colleges need to start paying attention to the talent in Europe more.

I know you didn't want to talk about the back story, but considering his 'newness' to the sport [although he did play in the Junior league in Germany] - his technique is very good... and once he has pro coaching, I can only see it skyrocketing.

To me, I don't even necessarily attribute any of his raw technique or instincts to his heritage or background. He's a sophomore, and he'll have to leave school early even to come out in 2013. He could very well stay until 2014. I don't expect a finished product as a sophomore, certainly.

Back
Top Bottom