Slimm's 2015 Cornerbacks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, Aug 13, 2014.

1. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Seniors:

1. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu / Oregon / 5'10", 195

20131129_pjc_aa8_066.0_standard_249.0.jpg
    (This kid is one of my 2 or 3 favorite prospects in this draft.)

2. Bobby McCain / Memphis / 5'11", 190

3. Quentin Rollins / Miami (OH) / 6'0", 200
    (Former Point Guard for Miami (OH) basketball team exhausted eligibility to play basketball, so joined football team in the spring. Hasn't played football since high school, but has a freakish skillset and athletic ability.)

4. Kevin Johnson / Wake Forest / 6'1", 175

5. Byron Jones / UCONN / 6'1", 191

6. Craig Mager / Texas St. / 5'11", 190

7. Donald Celiscar / Western Michigan / 5'11", 185

8. D'Joun Smith / FAU / 5'11", 190

9. Cam Thomas / Western Kentucky / 6'1", 190

10. Damian Swann / Georgia / 5'11", 180

11. Greg Henderson / Colorado / 5'11", 190

12. Demetrious Nicholson / Virginia / 5'10", 185

13. Chris Dunkley / USF / 6'0", 188

14. Quandre Diggs / Texas / 5'10", 200

15. Jonathan McKnight / Arizona / 5'11", 185

16. Tye Smith / Towson / 6'0", 175

17. Richard Leonard / FIU / 5'9", 185

18. Senquez Golson / Ole Miss / 5'9", 180

19. Le'Vander Liggins / Louisiana Tech / 5'10", 193

20. Merrill Noel / Wake Forest / 5'10", 185

21. Ladarius Gunter / Miami / 6'2", 196

22. Doran Grant / Ohio St. / 5'11", 190

23. Bryce Callahan / Rice / 5'10", 180

24. Josh Shaw / USC / 6'1", 195

25. Charles Garrett / Nevada / 5'11", 205

26. Tajh Hasson / UNLV / 6'1", 195

27. Bernard Blake / Colorado St. / 6'0", 180

28. Deshazor Everrett / Texas A&M / 6'0", 185

29. Tim Scott / North Carolina / 5'11", 190

Underclassman:

1. Marcus Peters / Washington / 5'11", 195

6_2964278.jpg
    (Another one of my 2 or 3 favorites.)

2. P.J. Williams / Florida St. / 6'0", 190

3. Trae Waynes / Michigan St. / 6'1", 185

4. Alex Carter / Stanford / 6'0", 200

5. KeiVarae Russell / Notre Dame / 5'11", 190

6. Ronald Darby / Florida St. / 5'11", 190

7. Ishmael Adams / UCLA / 5'8", 190

8. Greg Mabin / Iowa / 6'1", 195

9. Zack Sanche-Z / Oklahoma / 5'11", 180

10. DeVon Edwards / Duke / 5'9", 185

11. Maurice Canady / Virginia / 6'2", 185

12. Jacoby Glenn / UCF / 6'0", 180

13. Jordan Lucas / Penn St. / 6'0", 193

14. Devin Bass / Ohio / 5'9", 185

15. Brandon Facyson / Virginia Tech / 6'2", 190

16. Jalen Collins / LSU / 6'2", 195

17. Duke Thomas / Texas / 5'11", 176

18. Kevin Peterson / Oklahoma St. / 5'11", 185

19. Blake Countess / Michigan / 5'10", 185

20. Tracy Howard / Miami / 5'11", 185

21. Danzel McDaniel / Kansas St. / 6'1", 205

22. Taveze Calhouns / Mississippi St. / 6'1", 185

23. Charles Gaines / Louisville / 5'11", 175

24. Sean Thomas / ULL / 5'10", 175

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  2. Tannenbombs

Tannenbombs FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Shaw and PJ Williams seem a little bit low on this list.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Greg Henderson is a nice call as an underrated player. Technically sound, very quick and very smart. Good ball skills. He's perfect in a system that uses as much off-man as Kevin Coyle does.

4. TedSlimmJr

Doubt it. Shaw was already tentatively among my top 5 senior cornerbacks. That was before he was suspended indefinitely for making up a hero story to explain how he injured his ankles. Lied to coaches, teammates, and the entire University in the process.

Oddly enough, it appears KeiVarae Russell also won't play for Notre Dame this year while the investigation into academic fraud continues. This kid was spectacular though.

P.J. Williams is a different story. He's headed in the right direction right now. Made the tackle that forced a fumble that was likely the difference in the game to squeak by Okie Lite.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I see he's got the top corner in the last 2 classes up where he should be...that kids a stud...boundary slot you name it...and he will tackle

Ehhh Demetrius Nicholson still on the list...no long speed won't tackle and 5 ft 11 seems way rich...be a bad boundary and slot pro corner...Thst kid just makes me nauseated...

Marcus peters caught my eye as a freshman when I was reviewing Marcus trufant tape...that kids a pro...that's a 5 ft 11 I can believe

6. TedSlimmJr

Yeah we'll continue to disagree on Nicholson. All he does is keep going out and performing as one of the top CB's in the ACC every year. He tackles fine and has some of the best ball skills in the country. Your perception of reality is extremely peculiar sometimes.

He didn't even play against UCLA. The defense will be even better once he gets back.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

My perception of reality huh :lol: :rolleyes2:

It's no worse than a lot of your evaluations there boss...

8. TedSlimmJr

Move on hoops. It'd be different if you ever knew what you were talking about. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. You don't see 1/50th of what I see. Move on.

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Ha ha no I see more but yes I'll move on...throw out some more von miller like pass rush impact stuff with that scrub steelers first round pick from 2013 please or some more in 2 years Robert ayers will be the defensive player of the year while you are at it gems...or the Michael egnew stuff where you tried to get after me and on and on...

You want to talk down to me suck it slimm...

10. TedSlimmJr

And you can keep your Charles Clay isn't good enough to make the final 53, DeMarco Murray is "trash", Mark Ingram will be a HOF'er, etc.

Remember the QB from Louisville that was better than Matt Ryan? There's plenty more.

Do you believe Jadeveon Clowney runs 4.5 yet?

Jarvis Jones has been about as good thusfar as Mingo has for what its worth.

You don't have to prove anything to me. I already know you're clueless. Move on and stay out of my threads if you don't like em. Best advice I can give your hardheaded ***.

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I know you are looking for head nods I'm just not one of those people...never have been...but any time u want to do a little digging into prospect takes I'm game boss...any time...you don't want to do it

I will leave your threads alone since you can't handle any debate without trying to talk down to me...but know this you don't threaten me at all

12. TedSlimmJr

I'm not here for head nods hoops. You are. I'm here to talk college football and draft prospects. These threads are for me, and anybody else that is interested in 'em.

Debate and/or discussion is always welcome. Nobody else seems to have a problem doing it except you. Nobody else is that insecure.

Furthermore, I'm not here to threaten you?? You're not that relevant in my estimation. You're welcome to participate in these discussions as long as you leave your insecurities out of em. Speak with a little respect and that's what you'll get in return. If not, move on.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I didnt say anything disrespectful I gave my take on Nicholson who I've seen play every game at UVA and you throw out my perception of reality shot for some reason...so I gave it right back to you...

I think Nicholson is a bad pro prospect you don't we will see how it goes...but you talking down to me I'm not going for...

And wtf would I be insecure about when it comes to this??? Im supremely confident in my own evaluation abilities and results...with that I'm done...and I won't come in here again

14. ckparrothead

So much hostility. I been insulted by Slimm in the past about as bad as anyone on a message board has ever insulted me, but it doesn't matter. He's easy enough to discuss prospects with respectfully. Frankly, he's one of the most thorough and knowledgeable I've ever encountered, and I regularly speak with actual NFL employees. I'd rather just discuss players than constantly getting into pissing matches. What's the point? Let it go.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

:lol: well if ck vouges for you you know it's spot on...

16. TedSlimmJr

I have over 40 cornerbacks to discuss here. Let's talk about em or move on if you have nothing.

17. ckparrothead

What's a vouge?

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

How the heck did I do that :crazy:

Slimm if you want to delete all this given you are a forum moderator and this is a good thread I'm for it...we know where each other stands on things

19. Tannenbombs

Ifo Ekpre-Olumu. Big fan. Scheme fit too. What did he have 80 tackles last year? Love his mirror and ball skills.

20. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

21. Tannenbombs

Scouts measured Ifo Ekpre-Olomu at 5'9 1/4 according to Daniel Jeremiah.. Coincidentally that is the same height as the current player I compare him to.. Brent Grimes..

22. ckparrothead

Two senior corners who will deserve a lot more attention in the draft process are Trovon Reed and Chris Dunkley.

They're not guys anyone could have predicted to be up there as far as rankings or draft prospects, because until this year they were both wide receivers.

Dunkley is a former 5-star wide receiver prospect who was moved to corner only this year in training camp by Willie Taggart and staff, and his play has been a revelation. He's been a bright spot in an otherwise dim USF season marred by some of the worst quarterback play I've ever seen. Dunkley also has significant return skills.

Trovon Reed is 6'0" & 190 lbs and I was thoroughly impressed last night with the job he did on Tyler Lockette. I would have to go back and re-watch the game but I don't think he was on Tyler Lockette toward the beginning of the game when Lockette was successfully impacting the game. At some point Auburn put Reed on Lockette and focused on keeping that matchup even as Lockette was moved around, and Reed really had him on lockdown. Lockette has some issues with hands but he's exceptional at getting open, and that's why I was so impressed that Reed was in his hip pocket to where he was able to dominate the diminutive Lockette at the catch point with his superior length.

23. Tannenbombs

Draftable, or UDFA's? ^

24. TedSlimmJr

I'll get around to making an underrated list of prospects at some point during the season, but I can tell you as far as Senior CB's go....FIU's Richard Leonard will be on it.

He's currently my #25 rated Senior cornerback, mainly due to lack of ideal size and he didn't play last year because of academics. He's here based on freshman and sophomore tape.

He's a smallish corner in the mold of a Tyranny Mathieu or Nickell Roby. Has tremendous man cover skills, hips, and recovery speed. Aggressive tackler for his size and never hesitates to stick his nose in there.

However, what's really going to help him make a roster to begin with is his return skills on special teams. This is one of the best returners in the country. He's broken some of T.Y. Hilton's return records for FIU. Reminds me a lot of another smallish CB I watched here under Saban by the name of Javier Arenas.

Already putting out some outstanding tape this season if you pay attention to FIU.

25. ckparrothead

This is their only season at the position and they're both only three games into it. It would be foolish to declare a grade right now.

26. ckparrothead

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is going to want to burn this tape against Washington State. He's struggling, bad. Let up two touchdowns in direct coverage early in the game, getting burned later in the game by Vince Mayle (ball didn't end up on target so he got lucky). It's the 4th quarter he's looking gassed and he's guessing on routes. Tough night for him.

27. TedSlimmJr

He definitely had a rough night, but Dom Williams ain't exactly a scrub either. I have him in my top 10 of underclassman wide receivers. He ate Oregon up a little bit last year too.

28. TedSlimmJr

Ekpre-Olomu reminds me of Donnell Woolford when he came out of Clemson. He was 5'9", 192 but had excellent cover skills and extremely physical as a tackler. Didn't have blazing speed... somewhere in the 4.5 range, but knew how to cover.

Memphis corner Bobby McCain is just fantastic. One of the most underrated and best defenders in the country.

29. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I don't see any Revis' or Haden's out there this year..

At least not to my knowledge.

30. TedSlimmJr

You have to remember how "overrated" Joe Haden was the year he come out after running a 4.55. As a matter of fact, I can find posts around here trying to tell me that Major Wright made Joe Haden at Florida.

31. TedSlimmJr

Quentin Rollins of Miami (OH) is an extremely impressive kid with tremendous upside. Former Point Guard for Miami (OH) basketball team used up his eligibility playing basketball and joined the football team in the spring. Earned a starting job and through the first 6 games, already has 4 INT's and is tied for 2nd in the entire country in passes defended with 11.

Freakish skillset and athleticism. Great size for a DB at 6'0", 200 pounds. He's a deep sleeper right now but he won't be here shortly....

32. Tannenbombs

Has Trae Waynes stock improved at all in your mind? Honestly I've barely watched him. Just a little bit last year from watching Dennard. I can't really comment on him at all

33. TedSlimmJr

Waynes is a really good player. Firmly one of my top 3 underclassman CB's. He's a lengthy, press corner with tremendous man-to-man skills...or ability to stay in-phase to turn and locate the football. The inteception he made this past Saturday against Kenny Bell in the Nebraska game pretty much sums up what type of skills he has. This play was textbook from start to finish.

His length (6'1") is going to serve him well in this particular class due to most of the CB's in this class with the best coverage skills being under 6' tall. He has Johnthan Banks length and ball skills but better recovery speed and pure man coverage ability. More of the ideal press corner than Banks was. I just think he'll need to keep adding strength in his upper body to maintain maximum effectiveness in press technique in the NFL against the best it has to offer. Nice prospect. He's a keeper in my book.

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

sorry...just flying by but had to say this is really good right here...will be interesting to see what he benches cause like you said to play that press technique at a high level in the pros he needs to be a bull...that kids quite a talent though...nice prospect good ball skills and awareness...not as stiff as many press technique corners either

35. Tannenbombs

I'll just add that from the little I've seen him I was impressed with his hip fluidity for being a high cut guy. I was mostly watching Abdullah vs Michigan State but that interception was impressive. From the limited exposure I've had I'm impressed with his combination of press man skills, mirror ability, ability to find the football, ball skills, and the fact that he is a willing tackler. He may be a better prospect than Dennard because he has more length and ability to find the football as well as recovery speed and hip fluidness. It's too premature to give a grade or a round but he definitely looks the part.

36. TedSlimmJr

Craig Mager is really an exceptional zone corner and tackles extremely well. Underrated player that nobody knows about. Good size. Nice instincts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  37. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

In the few games that I've seen Florida State P.J. Williams has really stood out. I like how he tackles and has the size Miami's secondary is currently lacking.

38. TedSlimmJr

Good call on Dunkley. Just got done watching some USF/UCONN tape and he looks extremely athletic. Started the game off with a blitz off the corner and got a sack/forced fumble. Fast, physical, athletic corner that loves to tackle. Changes directions like he's operated with a joystick. He'll play at the next level.

39. TedSlimmJr

This Dunkley kid is one of the most athletic players I've seen in college football. Fast. Reminds me a lot of Sam Shields coming out of Miami who played both WR and CB. He has that type of ability on tape.

40. Tannenbombs

Duly noted.

41. ckparrothead

I mean he was a legit 5-star recruit, went to the Gators. Probably doesn't have the ball skills to be a true wide receiver and is a bit small to be high-impact at that position anyway. Moving him to corner was an inspired idea and it's going to give him a nice pro career. The Sam Shields comparison is very apt.

42. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Lorenzo Doss of Tulane impresses me. Might be lacking top end speed, need to see more to know for sure. But otherwise a very complete corner.

43. ckparrothead

Bernard Blake was a corner I mentioned some last year because he impressed me on tape. He looks like he's having another pretty good year.

44. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

Marcus Peters was just kicked off the team.

45. TedSlimmJr

He and the new coaching staff haven't been able to see eye to eye since Chris Peterson got there after coming over from Boise St. I think Coach Peterson has dismissed several players since he got there.

Either way, Peters is the most talented CB in the draft and he'll go high. I don't know what the specifics are between he and the coaching staff, but if I need a cornerback, this is the first kid I'm taking.

46. Tannenbombs

What if he isn't coachable?

47. TedSlimmJr

That's something teams will have to figure out for themselves. From a talent perspective, he's the best in the business. I've known that since I created this thread back in the summer.

48. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Perfect skill set for Coyle's D too - can play off or tight, super quick, competes for the ball, tackles. He does a lot of the things I see Grimes doing for Miami, but he's a good deal bigger than Grimes. Very savvy, plays screens well - has 3 INT's, 7 PBU's, and 4 TFL. Yeah, unless his character concerns cause him to drop, I don't see him being there when Miami drafts, but I'd be glad to take him. Ideally, I'd spend the 1st on a position other than CB. Coyle excels at recycling old CB's, so I'd prefer to continue addressing the position that way (given its current success). But if Peters is there when Miami is picking, he's going to be about as good as - if not better than - any player available.

49. Tannenbombs

Slimm or CK, have either of you seen the D'Joun Smith kid out of FAU?

50. ckparrothead

Yes I've taken a bit of a look at him and I think he's a very good corner. It's going to come down to how fast he is because I don't know that he's really fast enough for what the NFL wants nowadays.

Marshall went after him when they played and he got some tough calls against him by the officials. Could've gone either way. But the thing I did notice is that when Devon Johnson had fresh legs early in the game before he suffered a hamstring injury, you put those two into a track meet with each one running all-out, D'Joun Smith was not gaining ground on Devon Johnson. You look at that two ways. One, good on Devon Johnson and it shows he might be a better prospect than people believe. Two, bad on D'Joun Smith who is a CORNER and can't gain ground on a completely under-the-radar 6'1" & 250 lbs tight end converted to tailback who could be evaluated as a fullback at the next level.

He's a very solid all-around football player that happens to be playing corner. But again I have to go back to whether he can be trusted covering guys like Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, A.J. Green, etc. That's the way I would evaluate him. You're going to find a spot for him, but where? Nickel defense? Covered up in a Cover Two like a Leonard Johnson or a Josh Norman? Or perhaps moved to safety.

I know Dane Brugler at CBS Sports is very high on him but I think he has him rated too high.

I compare him with a guy like a Darryl Roberts of Marshall and what I see in a Roberts is a guy who may well be purely faster than D'Joun, is more aggressive, has easier movement skills, etc. And between Richard Leonard of FIU or D'Joun Smith of FAU, I'm not sure Leonard isn't better.