Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Well, not to take anything away from anyone but I believe he was the #1 quarterback recruit in the nation, so...

I meant that they were convinced that he would live up to that billing before he even took a snap at Penn State and be something special. #1 recruits never mean much to me, as I've seen too many flop for them to be anything more than speculative guessing.

Should the Dolphins take a QB, Cook is the guy I'd like to see them go after.

I just will be shocked if he isn't an Elite QB for a very long time. Outstanding prospect

Should the Dolphins take a QB, Cook is the guy I'd like to see them go after.

I really like Connor Cook. I'm a little wary that he's not a team captain and that when it was announced that he was left off the captain list some people close to the program implied that they're unsurprised. I know next to nothing about his character, so that raised an eyebrow with me.

If/when Jim Harbaugh coaches the Dolphins, I'm not sure Connor Cook will be his guy. He'll love Mariota and Hundley because of their raw tools, but he'll also like Kevin Hogan, and I think he may like Rakeem Cato. I'm not sure yet what he'll think of Bryce Petty.

I really like Connor Cook. I'm a little wary that he's not a team captain and that when it was announced that he was left off the captain list some people close to the program implied that they're unsurprised. I know next to nothing about his character, so that raised an eyebrow with me.

If/when Jim Harbaugh coaches the Dolphins, I'm not sure Connor Cook will be his guy. He'll love Mariota and Hundley because of their raw tools, but he'll also like Kevin Hogan, and I think he may like Rakeem Cato. I'm not sure yet what he'll think of Bryce Petty.

He is an underclassmen after all. There may be more to it than that, or maybe people are reading too much into it.

A little bird has told me Harbaugh is gone after this year. But when it comes to Tannehill, posters on this forum are either too high, or too low. I'm in the middle. I would put Tannehill around the 20th best Quarterback in the league right now. Unsurprisingly, Miami picked #19 in the draft last year. I think he has potential to climb into the teens in the Flacco, Stafford, Cutler, Alex Smith category, but that's about it. He's not going to be some elite, or top 10 quarterback, but at the same time he won't be Chad Henne.

Tannehill has the physical aptitude of a big time quarterback, but doesn't have it above the neck. His biggest weaknesses are decision making (17 interceptions and led the league in dropped INTs in 2013), ball security (18 fumbles in two years), accuracy, throwing between the hashes, his play speed he doesn't have the mental clock to know when to get the ball out of his hands or he gets hung on a read waiting for him to break open when he should move to the next read in his progression. And alas, the deep ball. Although I think it's a bit overstated. He is really bad throwing the deep ball.... to Mike Wallace, I thought he threw the deep ball decently his rookie year, he's never thrown to an athlete like Wallace and it shows. He misjudges him and he isn't consistent with overthrowing or just underthrowing him, he does both.

If Harbaugh came to Miami, he would definitely keep Ryan Tannehill. Just as he kept Alex Smith. That would most likely be the Dolphins 2015 starter.

But he'll also look to draft a guy, much as he did with Kaepernick. And I'm just trying to look at the guys he would tend to like. I think Mariota, Hundley, Hogan and Cato fit, and perhaps also Fajardo and Petty.

He recruited Kevin Hogan. David Shaw did more of the ground work but Harbaugh was the head coach.

If Harbaugh came to Miami, he would definitely keep Ryan Tannehill. Just as he kept Alex Smith. That would most likely be the Dolphins 2015 starter.

But he'll also look to draft a guy, much as he did with Kaepernick. And I'm just trying to look at the guys he would tend to like. I think Mariota, Hundley, Hogan and Cato fit, and perhaps also Fajardo and Petty.

He recruited Kevin Hogan. David Shaw did more of the ground work but Harbaugh was the head coach.

I'm interested on your thoughts about Hogan..

Tannehill has the physical aptitude of a big time quarterback, but doesn't have it above the neck. His biggest weaknesses are decision making (17 interceptions and led the league in dropped INTs in 2013), ball security (18 fumbles in two years), accuracy, throwing between the hashes, his play speed he doesn't have the mental clock to know when to get the ball out of his hands or he gets hung on a read waiting for him to break open when he should move to the next read in his progression. And alas, the deep ball. Although I think it's a bit overstated. He is really bad throwing the deep ball.... to Mike Wallace, I thought he threw the deep ball decently his rookie year, he's never thrown to an athlete like Wallace and it shows. He misjudges him and he isn't consistent with overthrowing or just underthrowing him, he does both.

You're dead on here. He has as good of an arm and physical skill set as there is in the NFL. But he doesn't have it from the neck up. Doesn't understand situations the way a top quarterback should. He doesn't process what he's seeing fast enough to be an elite quarterback.

Basically, all he does is turn it over by fumbling or throwing it to the other team, and miss deep throws by 10 yards, and fold in the clutch.

This is exactly what he was coming out of Texas A&M to begin with in my opinion. Go back and read my thread "Ryan Tannehill....The Final Word" prior to Miami selecting him.

You're dead on here. He has as good of an arm and physical skill set as there is in the NFL. But he doesn't have it from the neck up. Doesn't understand situations the way a top quarterback should. He doesn't process what he's seeing fast enough to be an elite quarterback.

Basically, all he does is turn it over by fumbling or throwing it to the other team, and miss deep throws by 10 yards, and fold in the clutch.

This is exactly what he was coming out of Texas A&M to begin with in my opinion. Go back and read my thread "Ryan Tannehill....The Final Word" prior to Miami selecting him.

I'll definitely have to check that out Slimm. What do you think of my analysis of Hackenberg? He may not be a household name to everyone but I have no doubts you've seen multiple games of him.

P.s remember on Hard Knocks when he couldn't name the teams in the right divisions? I know that's something minor but that was a big red flag for me..

I think we're going to start having to discuss Taysom Hill as more than just a prospect that belongs in the "athlete" category.

Completing 72% of his passes. Destroyed Connecticut and Texas. And he spins a really good ball. Seems to have shortened up his delivery and has high velocity. And of course as a runner he has the same combination of elusiveness, speed and power/strength that Tim Tebow had.

He's already among the early favorites for the Heisman. Athlon Sports has him ranked #2 for the Heisman thus far. This could be the early stages of a Robert Griffin-like rise for Taysom Hill.

I think we're going to start having to discuss Taysom Hill as more than just a prospect that belongs in the "athlete" category.

Completing 72% of his passes. Destroyed Connecticut and Texas. And he spins a really good ball. Seems to have shortened up his delivery and has high velocity. And of course as a runner he has the same combination of elusiveness, speed and power/strength that Tim Tebow had.

He's already among the early favorites for the Heisman. Athlon Sports has him ranked #2 for the Heisman thus far. This could be the early stages of a Robert Griffin-like rise for Taysom Hill.

Well, the jump in his completion percentage is due simply to throwing much shorter passes this year. His passes on average are traveling 3+ yards/attempt shorter this season. He still struggles a lot with down field accuracy.

His accuracy against opponents from BCS conferences last year dropped off even further to around 46%. Get him in obvious passing situations like a 3rd and 7, and it dropped even further down to around 30%.

He's throwing more arrow routes to the flat this year which is inflating his completion percentage. He's still holding the ball too long on deeper developing routes. He doesn't throw with anticipation in other words. He's completing a high percentage of his passes this season to the first thing of his own color that outflanks the defense off the zone read.

Hill is still BYU's best running back. That's why I still consider him in the athlete category. However, there are other QB's like Everett Golson that have made significantly more strides as a passer than Taysom Hill has. Golson looks so much different in the pocket now after working with George Whitfield, I can't believe I'm watching the same player from 2012. His improvement is immense. Very impressive.

Now that it sounds like I've only had criticism for Taysom Hill, let me explain why I put him here in the first place...

I absolutely love this kid's running ability. He does run with the same toughness and intensity of a legendary player like Tim Tebow. He has the ability to completely dominate any game as a runner. Nearly the size of Tebow, but faster.

He won't win the Heisman because they won't play anybody. They don't have the schedule to make him a legitimate threat for it. I don't see how anyone could have him at #2 at the moment...he's played UCONN, Texas, and Houston tonight. Mariota has already beaten Michigan St. and Gurley has dominated Clemson already. There's your top 2 as it stands in reality. And many more ranked teams to come for both.

Taysom Hill has a significant amount of developing to do as a passer. He's a mid-round prospect at best right now if you're intent on developing him as a legitimate next level signal caller in my opinion.

I'd love to try and develop him though. Great set of tools. A Jim Harbaugh type of developmental guy.

Back
Top Bottom