39. Rannell Hall / UCF / 6'1", 196

40. Malcolm Kennedy / Texas A&M / 6'0", 200

41. Andre Debose / Florida / 5'11", 190

42. Rodriguez Coleman / Kansas / 6'3", 195

43. Javess Blue / Kentucky / 6'0", 190

44. William Dukes / Florida Atlantic / 6'4", 190

46. Eli Rogers / Louisville / 5'10", 182

47. Keiwone Malone / Memphis / 5'11", 165
(Malone was a 4-star recruit out of high school and originially committed to Alabama as part of Saban's 2010 class...however he was suspended for a violation of team rules and transferred back home to Memphis. He's light and not very physical, but has great speed, agility, and hands.)

48. Jarrod West / Syracuse / 6'2", 203

49. DeAndre Smelter / Georgia Tech / 6'3, 225

50. Damond Powell / Iowa / 5'11", 180

51. Kevonte Martin-Manley / Iowa / 6'0", 205

52. Keanon Lowe / Oregon / 5'9", 186

53. Rashawn Scott / Miami / 6'2", 203

54. Christion Jones / Alabama / 5'11", 185

55. Sterling Griffin / Louisiana Tech / 6'1", 190

56. Bryan Underwood / N.C. State / 5'9", 180

57. Isaac Blakeney / Duke / 6'6", 225

58. Bradley Marquez / Texas Tech / 6'0", 205

59. Jameon Lewis / Mississippi St. / 5'9", 195

60. Miles Gooch / Virginia / 6'3", 210

Last edited by a moderator:
If the 2014 class weren't so stacked, I think we would have probably seen guys like Parker, Greene, Goodley, and Montgomery come out. I like Crowder too. I definitely prefer Greene to Benjamin as a prospect. Overall, the 2015 Senior group looks significantly better than the 2014 Senior group (though I like Matthews and Abbrederis).

If the 2014 class weren't so stacked, I think we would have probably seen guys like Parker, Greene, Goodley, and Montgomery come out. I like Crowder too. I definitely prefer Greene to Benjamin as a prospect. Overall, the 2015 Senior group looks significantly better than the 2014 Senior group (though I like Matthews and Abbrederis).

The 2015 Senior class of WR's certainly looks better than the 2014 class, although as always the majority of the talent lies within the underclassman.

Nick Harwell is a really good player. He was dynamite at Miami (OH) and had to sit out last year at Kansas to comply with NCAA transfer rules... but he's a player. He'll eat up some Big-12 secondaries this year.

Tyler Lockett is the best kick returner in the country in my estimation. Justin Hardy is unstoppable in C-USA. He'd be starting for most anybody in the country.

Austin Hill and Malcolm Mitchell are dinged here in my rankings a few notches because of injury last year, but talent wise they belong in the top 10. Florida's offense and special teams really missed Debose last year. He's another one that belongs higher based on raw talent, but injury drops him.

Basically, I have a draftable grade on around 30 of these receivers. The rest will go into the UDFA pool. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean 1-30 here... some are ranked below where their talent warrants here due to not playing last year (injury) or sitting out to comply with transfer rules.

All of these kids have shown me they can play and produce. They're hand selected.

DeVante Parker coming back was a godsend for him. He now gets to learn the finer points of route running from Bobby Petrino's staff. He is going to be an absolute MONSTER in this offense next season.

Slim: Just a heads up on someone to watch this season. Apparently Charlie's staff never could get anything out of redshirt senior Tennessee transfer Matt Milton (6'5", former 4 star recruited by Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron) but Bobby's staff is. Stories coming out of the open practices is that he's torching it right now. When keeping an eye on Parker (and Brown, Dyer, etc) this season you may want to keep an eye on Milton too.

I prefer Greene's consistency to Parker's upside.. what are your reasons for having Parker over Greene?

I prefer Greene's consistency to Parker's upside.. what are your reasons for having Parker over Greene?

Well first of all I really like Rashad Greene, especially his ability on special teams as a punt returner. It makes him even more valuable.

I think Parker's size is more difficult to defend. He's virtually unstoppable in one-on-one situations for contested catches. Parker has tremendous body control and adjusts well to poor throws. His 28 TD receptions thusfar in his career is the most of any WR on this list. That's pretty consistent. He averages nearly 17 yards/catch for his career.... Greene averages 14.5 yards/catch for his career.

I really like both receivers here. Although I think Parker has the ability to be physically dominant in situations where Greene can't. It's a similar question I was asked about this time a year ago... which would I prefer between Donte Moncrief and Marqise Lee? I chose Moncrief because of his ability to be physically dominant in situations where Lee couldn't.

Well first of all I really like Rashad Greene, especially his ability on special teams as a punt returner. It makes him even more valuable.

I think Parker's size is more difficult to defend. He's virtually unstoppable in one-on-one situations for contested catches. Parker has tremendous body control and adjusts well to poor throws. His 28 TD receptions thusfar in his career is the most of any WR on this list. That's pretty consistent. He averages nearly 17 yards/catch for his career.... Greene averages 14.5 yards/catch for his career.

I really like both receivers here. Although I think Parker has the ability to be physically dominant in situations where Greene can't. It's a similar question I was asked about this time a year ago... which would I prefer between Donte Moncrief and Marqise Lee? I chose Moncrief because of his ability to be physically dominant in situations where Lee couldn't.

I agree 100% on contested throws. In my opinion, in order to be a starting every down receiver you have to be able to play "above the rim" and dominate 50/50 balls. No one on Miami can do this, that is why I consider Wallace a #3 and Hartline a #3/ #4 WR. Greene isn't necessarily bad in this department, he made a big time catch against Nevada this year showcasing that, but there is no question that Parker is superior there. I haven't studied Parker exclusively but I have seen at least 15 Bridgewater tapes. What is surprising to me, is that Parker routinely makes the highlight reel catch, but the next play will drop a slant when he is wide open. That is more an issue of focus than ball skills. But for that reason I would give the edge to Greene.. more of a personal preference both are equally rated players.

I agree 100% on contested throws. In my opinion, in order to be a starting every down receiver you have to be able to play "above the rim" and dominate 50/50 balls. No one on Miami can do this, that is why I consider Wallace a #3 and Hartline a #3/ #4 WR. Greene isn't necessarily bad in this department, he made a big time catch against Nevada this year showcasing that, but there is no question that Parker is superior there. I haven't studied Parker exclusively but I have seen at least 15 Bridgewater tapes. What is surprising to me, is that Parker routinely makes the highlight reel catch, but the next play will drop a slant when he is wide open. That is more an issue of focus than ball skills. But for that reason I would give the edge to Greene.. more of a personal preference both are equally rated players.

It always frustrates me when I see receivers do this. It used to drive me crazy when Julio Jones would drop easy screen passes or quick slants over and over again. He's thinking about running and making a play rather than securing the catch first. It's typical of receivers with big play ability. However, when it was 3rd down and the offense needed a clutch catch, or it was time to physically dominate... Julio was dependable. Devante Parker has done this same thing for Louisville when he's needed. Parker isn't the caliber of talent that Julio was, but the point is the same.

It always frustrates me when I see receivers do this. It used to drive me crazy when Julio Jones would drop easy screen passes or quick slants over and over again. He's thinking about running and making a play rather than securing the catch first. It's typical of receivers with big play ability. However, when it was 3rd down and the offense needed a clutch catch, or it was time to physically dominate... Julio was dependable. Devante Parker has done this same thing for Louisville when he's needed. Parker isn't the caliber of talent that Julio was, but the point is the same.

I agree. Sammy Watkins looks the ball in better than any receiver I've ever seen. Goes from catch to tuck to run so quickly and effortlessly.

Rannell Hall for UCF is vastly underrated here. He's UCF's best and most versatile wide receiver.

YAC, got it.
Good hands, got it.
Speed, got it.
Fighting for the ball, got it.
Route running, got it.

Honestly I think I would have to put Kasen Williams of Washington at the top of the list here.

He's got the full NFL package. He can finish like Davante Parker but he's stronger, has quicker feet, more explosive, and he's a vicious run blocker.

Honestly I think I would have to put Kasen Williams of Washington at the top of the list here.

He's got the full NFL package. He can finish like Davante Parker but he's stronger, has quicker feet, more explosive, and he's a vicious run blocker.

I wouldn't. Broken leg and Lisfranc aside, he's a little too similar to Chris Harper when he came out of Kansas St. Devante Parker is more similar to Aaron Dobson, who was a better prospect in my opinion. We're typically going to be on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to certain positions. Wide receiver is usually one of 'em.

I'd be interested in getting multiple opinions on this, but I'll direct the question to you Slimm:

When analyzing players, where is the breaking point where players with special talent but also with inadequacies rate higher than players who are solid across the board? I ask this with two players in mind - one from this list, one from the 2013 draft. Ty Montgomery and Cordarrelle Patterson. As the setup implies, I don't view Montgomery as a rare talent in the class of Patterson. I do, though, view his combination of size and explosiveness (especially with the ball in his hands). I ask this, remembering that Patterson was your #1 WR of the 2013 draft. I know CK was very high on him too. I also had him as the #1 WR.

So whether on paper or in your head (whether conscious or instinctual), do you have a model where you adjust your expectations of a player with special traits because of weaknesses, and if so, where does the rubber meet the road?

It's early in the process for me, but I have Montgomery rated closer to the top, because I think his special traits give him a better chance to succeed at the next level than the more-rounded traits of some of the players you're currently ranking ahead of him. Of course, I could be overrated his special traits. Always the possibility of that.

I'd be interested in getting multiple opinions on this, but I'll direct the question to you Slimm:

When analyzing players, where is the breaking point where players with special talent but also with inadequacies rate higher than players who are solid across the board? I ask this with two players in mind - one from this list, one from the 2013 draft. Ty Montgomery and Cordarrelle Patterson. As the setup implies, I don't view Montgomery as a rare talent in the class of Patterson. I do, though, view his combination of size and explosiveness (especially with the ball in his hands). I ask this, remembering that Patterson was your #1 WR of the 2013 draft. I know CK was very high on him too. I also had him as the #1 WR.

So whether on paper or in your head (whether conscious or instinctual), do you have a model where you adjust your expectations of a player with special traits because of weaknesses, and if so, where does the rubber meet the road?

It's early in the process for me, but I have Montgomery rated closer to the top, because I think his special traits give him a better chance to succeed at the next level than the more-rounded traits of some of the players you're currently ranking ahead of him. Of course, I could be overrated his special traits. Always the possibility of that.

For me there's a clear distinction between a special talent and a special skillset. They're two different things.

A talent is innate or God given, however you choose to view it. A skillset is honed and developed. I always referred to Cordarrelle Patterson as a special talent. Anytime a player has a special talent, it's usually blatently obvious to even an untrained eye. This player stands out. I don't necessarily mean he stands out as one of the best players in the stadium on that particular day. This player stands out among all players that you've ever watched.

You'll know it immediately... he'll trigger that instinct within you that tells you that he's doing things athletically that you don't see often when you watch a lot of football. In football, it's typically fairly simple... an explosive quality and/or insane change of direction. On the other hand, feats of strength or concentration can often be deceiving. For a receiver, talent is what he does with the ball in his hands. Skillset is what he does prior to that. You can take these to the bank. Calvin Johnson was a special talent. Julio Jones was a special talent.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question regarding a breaking point between special talent with inadequacies and players that are solid across the board. The best way I can answer that is this.. all players have inadequacies somewhere. But not all have special talent. Which is why a special talent should rate higher. A solid player without special talent can outproduce a special talent because of what I mentioned before...a special skillset. Although that still doesn't make him a special talent. A.J. Green had a better skillset than Julio, but Julio was a more special talent physically. Wes Welker has a special skillset, but nowhere near a special talent.

Another example, Sammy Watkins was the only special talent that I saw at the WR position this year. But I saw many with special skillsets. Marqise Lee has a special skillset... smoothness and route running. But again, he's not a special talent.

I don't know that I would consider Ty Montgomery a special talent. Although I would agree that he has special traits for a receiver that size, which puts him in a category that is in the top percentile for an NFL wide receiver prospect. But he's not a 1% ("1 percenter"). He's good enough for top 10 on my board of Senior wide receivers. But I view my top prospect on this list (Parker) as a 2nd rounder in the mold of an Aaron Dobson. The underclassman are where I currently believe the special talent lies.

I hope I answered your question somewhat. If not let me know.

Jordan Taylor is another senior wide receiver to watch out for next year. Caught my attention in 2012 trying to sift through tape on Vance McDonald, Luke Wilson and Sam McGuffie. Really amazing some of the hidden talent a little program like Rice had at the skill positions on that 2012 team.

Taylor is more than just an inordinately tall (between 6'4" and 6'5") receiver with good hands. He has enough speed, I'd say he's in the 4.5's based on what I've seen. He performs legitimately athletic feats in addition to having some pretty damn good hands. That would probably be what separates him from someone like for example a Derek Moye who is still kicking around the NFL. Moye was inordinately sized, could run for that size, could catch the football, but I'm not sure I ever saw legitimately impressive athletic feats or catches. I saw good routes out of him and a nice never-quit attitude, which is why Moye is probably still kicking around the league.

But with Jordan you also have legitimately impressive athletic feats, and it all makes for a nice combination.

Here's his game against Texas A&M. I thought Odell Beckham looked pretty uninteresting against this same TAMU defense. And this wasn't a one-off for Taylor. As I said he was standing out even when you're trying to look at guys like Vance McDonald and Sam McGuffie in 2012.

[video=youtube;Jmrxzg1u7wI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmrxzg1u7wI[/video]

And here's another nice example of the kinds of plays from 2012 that drew me to him (fast-forward to 1:14 if it doesn't take you there automatically):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6IGlkpkVo&feature=player_embedded#t=74

Really an incredible finish on a play where he was being blatantly interfered with. Plays like that always catch my eye. If you can deal with flagged pass interference and still finish the catch, that translates well to the increased physicality of the NFL game.

Some more work from Jordan Taylor in 2013 just for reference:
(0:18:57) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1137
(1:28:18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5298
(1:29:13) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5353
(2:21:34) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=8494

Back
Top Bottom