Slimm's 2015 Wide Receivers (Seniors)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, Mar 31, 2014.

1. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

1. Kevin White / West Virginia / 6'3", 211

2. DeVante Parker / Louisville / 6'3", 209

3. Devin Smith / Ohio St. / 6'1", 198

4. Justin Hardy / East Carolina / 6'0", 186

5. Rashad Greene / Florida St. / 6'0", 180

6. Antwan Goodley / Baylor / 5'10", 225

7. Ty Montgomery / Stanford / 6'2", 215

8. Devante Davis / UNLV / 6'3", 210
    [​IMG]

9. Tyler Lockett / Kansas St. / 5'11", 175

10. Jamison Crowder / Duke / 5'9", 175

11. Phillip Dorsett / Miami / 5'9", 180

12. Kenny Bell / Nebraska / 6'1", 185

13. Tony Lippett / Michigan St. / 6'2", 190

14t. Titus Davis / Central Michigan / 6'2", 190

14t. John Harris / Texas / 6'2", 218

15. Nick Harwell / Kansas / 6'1", 193

16. J.J. Worton / UCF / 6'2", 211

17. Andre Davis / South Florida / 6'1", 202

18. DaVaris Daniels / Notre Dame / 6'1", 203

19. Austin Hill / Arizona / 6'3", 211

20. Jamal Robinson / UL-Lafayette / 6'4", 205

21. Kasen Williams / Washington / 6'2", 212

22. Michael Bennett / Georgia / 6'3", 205

23. Mario Alford / West Virginia / 5'9", 180

24. Cam Worthy / East Carolina / 6'3", 220

25. Chris Conley / Georgia / 6'3", 206

26. Jamarcus Nelson / UAB / 5'11", 170

27. Matt Miller / Boise St. / 6'3", 222

28. Dres Anderson / Utah / 6'1", 187

29. Damiere Byrd / South Carolina / 5'9", 166

30. Tommy Shuler / Marshall / 5'7", 180

31. Geremy Davis / UCONN / 6'3", 215

32. Dominic Rufran / Wyoming / 6'0", 188

33. Kaelin Clay / Utah / 5'10", 193

34. Shavarez Smith / South Alabama / 6'1", 200

35. Devon Cajuste / Stanford / 6'4", 228

36. Ezell Ruffin / San Diego St. / 6'1", 205

37. DeAndrew White / Alabama / 6'0", 190

38. Brandon Carter / TCU / 5'11", 186

39. Rannell Hall / UCF / 6'1", 196

40. Malcolm Kennedy / Texas A&M / 6'0", 200

41. Andre Debose / Florida / 5'11", 190

42. Rodriguez Coleman / Kansas / 6'3", 195

43. Javess Blue / Kentucky / 6'0", 190

44. William Dukes / Florida Atlantic / 6'4", 190

46. Eli Rogers / Louisville / 5'10", 182

47. Keiwone Malone / Memphis / 5'11", 165
    (Malone was a 4-star recruit out of high school and originially committed to Alabama as part of Saban's 2010 class...however he was suspended for a violation of team rules and transferred back home to Memphis. He's light and not very physical, but has great speed, agility, and hands.)

48. Jarrod West / Syracuse / 6'2", 203

49. DeAndre Smelter / Georgia Tech / 6'3, 225

50. Damond Powell / Iowa / 5'11", 180

51. Kevonte Martin-Manley / Iowa / 6'0", 205

52. Keanon Lowe / Oregon / 5'9", 186

53. Rashawn Scott / Miami / 6'2", 203

54. Christion Jones / Alabama / 5'11", 185

55. Sterling Griffin / Louisiana Tech / 6'1", 190

56. Bryan Underwood / N.C. State / 5'9", 180

57. Isaac Blakeney / Duke / 6'6", 225

58. Bradley Marquez / Texas Tech / 6'0", 205

59. Jameon Lewis / Mississippi St. / 5'9", 195

60. Miles Gooch / Virginia / 6'3", 210

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  2. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If the 2014 class weren't so stacked, I think we would have probably seen guys like Parker, Greene, Goodley, and Montgomery come out. I like Crowder too. I definitely prefer Greene to Benjamin as a prospect. Overall, the 2015 Senior group looks significantly better than the 2014 Senior group (though I like Matthews and Abbrederis).

3. TedSlimmJr

The 2015 Senior class of WR's certainly looks better than the 2014 class, although as always the majority of the talent lies within the underclassman.

Nick Harwell is a really good player. He was dynamite at Miami (OH) and had to sit out last year at Kansas to comply with NCAA transfer rules... but he's a player. He'll eat up some Big-12 secondaries this year.

Tyler Lockett is the best kick returner in the country in my estimation. Justin Hardy is unstoppable in C-USA. He'd be starting for most anybody in the country.

Austin Hill and Malcolm Mitchell are dinged here in my rankings a few notches because of injury last year, but talent wise they belong in the top 10. Florida's offense and special teams really missed Debose last year. He's another one that belongs higher based on raw talent, but injury drops him.

Basically, I have a draftable grade on around 30 of these receivers. The rest will go into the UDFA pool. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean 1-30 here... some are ranked below where their talent warrants here due to not playing last year (injury) or sitting out to comply with transfer rules.

All of these kids have shown me they can play and produce. They're hand selected.

4. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

DeVante Parker coming back was a godsend for him. He now gets to learn the finer points of route running from Bobby Petrino's staff. He is going to be an absolute MONSTER in this offense next season.

Slim: Just a heads up on someone to watch this season. Apparently Charlie's staff never could get anything out of redshirt senior Tennessee transfer Matt Milton (6'5", former 4 star recruited by Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron) but Bobby's staff is. Stories coming out of the open practices is that he's torching it right now. When keeping an eye on Parker (and Brown, Dyer, etc) this season you may want to keep an eye on Milton too.

5. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

I prefer Greene's consistency to Parker's upside.. what are your reasons for having Parker over Greene?

6. TedSlimmJr

Well first of all I really like Rashad Greene, especially his ability on special teams as a punt returner. It makes him even more valuable.

I think Parker's size is more difficult to defend. He's virtually unstoppable in one-on-one situations for contested catches. Parker has tremendous body control and adjusts well to poor throws. His 28 TD receptions thusfar in his career is the most of any WR on this list. That's pretty consistent. He averages nearly 17 yards/catch for his career.... Greene averages 14.5 yards/catch for his career.

I really like both receivers here. Although I think Parker has the ability to be physically dominant in situations where Greene can't. It's a similar question I was asked about this time a year ago... which would I prefer between Donte Moncrief and Marqise Lee? I chose Moncrief because of his ability to be physically dominant in situations where Lee couldn't.

7. futurescout

I agree 100% on contested throws. In my opinion, in order to be a starting every down receiver you have to be able to play "above the rim" and dominate 50/50 balls. No one on Miami can do this, that is why I consider Wallace a #3 and Hartline a #3/ #4 WR. Greene isn't necessarily bad in this department, he made a big time catch against Nevada this year showcasing that, but there is no question that Parker is superior there. I haven't studied Parker exclusively but I have seen at least 15 Bridgewater tapes. What is surprising to me, is that Parker routinely makes the highlight reel catch, but the next play will drop a slant when he is wide open. That is more an issue of focus than ball skills. But for that reason I would give the edge to Greene.. more of a personal preference both are equally rated players.

8. TedSlimmJr

It always frustrates me when I see receivers do this. It used to drive me crazy when Julio Jones would drop easy screen passes or quick slants over and over again. He's thinking about running and making a play rather than securing the catch first. It's typical of receivers with big play ability. However, when it was 3rd down and the offense needed a clutch catch, or it was time to physically dominate... Julio was dependable. Devante Parker has done this same thing for Louisville when he's needed. Parker isn't the caliber of talent that Julio was, but the point is the same.

9. futurescout

I agree. Sammy Watkins looks the ball in better than any receiver I've ever seen. Goes from catch to tuck to run so quickly and effortlessly.

10. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Rannell Hall for UCF is vastly underrated here. He's UCF's best and most versatile wide receiver.

YAC, got it.
    Good hands, got it.
    Speed, got it.
    Fighting for the ball, got it.
    Route running, got it.

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Honestly I think I would have to put Kasen Williams of Washington at the top of the list here.

He's got the full NFL package. He can finish like Davante Parker but he's stronger, has quicker feet, more explosive, and he's a vicious run blocker.

12. TedSlimmJr

I wouldn't. Broken leg and Lisfranc aside, he's a little too similar to Chris Harper when he came out of Kansas St. Devante Parker is more similar to Aaron Dobson, who was a better prospect in my opinion. We're typically going to be on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to certain positions. Wide receiver is usually one of 'em.

13. j-off-her-doll

I'd be interested in getting multiple opinions on this, but I'll direct the question to you Slimm:

When analyzing players, where is the breaking point where players with special talent but also with inadequacies rate higher than players who are solid across the board? I ask this with two players in mind - one from this list, one from the 2013 draft. Ty Montgomery and Cordarrelle Patterson. As the setup implies, I don't view Montgomery as a rare talent in the class of Patterson. I do, though, view his combination of size and explosiveness (especially with the ball in his hands). I ask this, remembering that Patterson was your #1 WR of the 2013 draft. I know CK was very high on him too. I also had him as the #1 WR.

So whether on paper or in your head (whether conscious or instinctual), do you have a model where you adjust your expectations of a player with special traits because of weaknesses, and if so, where does the rubber meet the road?

It's early in the process for me, but I have Montgomery rated closer to the top, because I think his special traits give him a better chance to succeed at the next level than the more-rounded traits of some of the players you're currently ranking ahead of him. Of course, I could be overrated his special traits. Always the possibility of that.

14. TedSlimmJr

For me there's a clear distinction between a special talent and a special skillset. They're two different things.

A talent is innate or God given, however you choose to view it. A skillset is honed and developed. I always referred to Cordarrelle Patterson as a special talent. Anytime a player has a special talent, it's usually blatently obvious to even an untrained eye. This player stands out. I don't necessarily mean he stands out as one of the best players in the stadium on that particular day. This player stands out among all players that you've ever watched.

You'll know it immediately... he'll trigger that instinct within you that tells you that he's doing things athletically that you don't see often when you watch a lot of football. In football, it's typically fairly simple... an explosive quality and/or insane change of direction. On the other hand, feats of strength or concentration can often be deceiving. For a receiver, talent is what he does with the ball in his hands. Skillset is what he does prior to that. You can take these to the bank. Calvin Johnson was a special talent. Julio Jones was a special talent.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question regarding a breaking point between special talent with inadequacies and players that are solid across the board. The best way I can answer that is this.. all players have inadequacies somewhere. But not all have special talent. Which is why a special talent should rate higher. A solid player without special talent can outproduce a special talent because of what I mentioned before...a special skillset. Although that still doesn't make him a special talent. A.J. Green had a better skillset than Julio, but Julio was a more special talent physically. Wes Welker has a special skillset, but nowhere near a special talent.

Another example, Sammy Watkins was the only special talent that I saw at the WR position this year. But I saw many with special skillsets. Marqise Lee has a special skillset... smoothness and route running. But again, he's not a special talent.

I don't know that I would consider Ty Montgomery a special talent. Although I would agree that he has special traits for a receiver that size, which puts him in a category that is in the top percentile for an NFL wide receiver prospect. But he's not a 1% ("1 percenter"). He's good enough for top 10 on my board of Senior wide receivers. But I view my top prospect on this list (Parker) as a 2nd rounder in the mold of an Aaron Dobson. The underclassman are where I currently believe the special talent lies.

I hope I answered your question somewhat. If not let me know.

15. ckparrothead

Jordan Taylor is another senior wide receiver to watch out for next year. Caught my attention in 2012 trying to sift through tape on Vance McDonald, Luke Wilson and Sam McGuffie. Really amazing some of the hidden talent a little program like Rice had at the skill positions on that 2012 team.

Taylor is more than just an inordinately tall (between 6'4" and 6'5") receiver with good hands. He has enough speed, I'd say he's in the 4.5's based on what I've seen. He performs legitimately athletic feats in addition to having some pretty damn good hands. That would probably be what separates him from someone like for example a Derek Moye who is still kicking around the NFL. Moye was inordinately sized, could run for that size, could catch the football, but I'm not sure I ever saw legitimately impressive athletic feats or catches. I saw good routes out of him and a nice never-quit attitude, which is why Moye is probably still kicking around the league.

But with Jordan you also have legitimately impressive athletic feats, and it all makes for a nice combination.

Here's his game against Texas A&M. I thought Odell Beckham looked pretty uninteresting against this same TAMU defense. And this wasn't a one-off for Taylor. As I said he was standing out even when you're trying to look at guys like Vance McDonald and Sam McGuffie in 2012.

[video=youtube;Jmrxzg1u7wI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmrxzg1u7wI[/video]

And here's another nice example of the kinds of plays from 2012 that drew me to him (fast-forward to 1:14 if it doesn't take you there automatically):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6IGlkpkVo&feature=player_embedded#t=74

Really an incredible finish on a play where he was being blatantly interfered with. Plays like that always catch my eye. If you can deal with flagged pass interference and still finish the catch, that translates well to the increased physicality of the NFL game.

Some more work from Jordan Taylor in 2013 just for reference:
    (0:18:57) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1137
    (1:28:18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5298
    (1:29:13) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5353
    (2:21:34) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7lwACqWAs&feature=player_detailpage#t=8494

16. ckparrothead

I liked Chris Harper coming out as a mid round kind of guy. Just opening up the spreadsheet where I had my board from back then, I had him as a Day 3 target. I had the likes of Stedman Bailey, Markus Wheaton, Quinton Patton, Justin Hunter and Marquise Goodwin as potential Day 2 targets at the position, and I also had Da'Rick Rogers and Marquess Wilson as Day 3 targets I'd have prioritized above Chris Harper. I liked Harper enough to prioritize and target him, which is more than I could say about a whole bunch of receivers from that year, including Aaron Dobson.

It's a long way to the 2015 draft and therefore it's not the time for definitive statements. However, I don't see where the Kasen Williams = Chris Harper comparison comes from. I think if any player compares to Harper a little bit it's probably Antwan Goodley, whom I also like.

I imagine Kasen Williams is going to grade out higher than Chris Harper because he's athletically more explosive. That was probably Harper's biggest issue. Williams also finishes catches better than Harper.

I think the thing Kasen and Harper share is being a little bit at the mercy of their offense and quarterbacks. The Huskies ran the football on an amazing 60% of downs last year. Luckily their quarterbacks completed about 65 percent of their passes, but not so lucky are the injury issues Slimm mentioned with Kasen, who only played in 7 games before taking a bow in his 8th.

I'm kind of impressed with the skill position of Washington. Kevin Smith and Jaydon Mickens are impressive, and of course they had Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Through the 7 games Kasen played fully healthy, Smith was actually beating Kasen with 459 yards and 3 TDs to Kasen's 400 yards and 1 TD. And Mickens wasn't far behind at 362 yards and 2 TDs. They really spread the football around.

But you talk about guys with incredible ability, I think Kasen Williams stands out that way. Watch his game against Stanford. He's #2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFafsSetyM

You evaluate the basic skill set and he works the perimeter like Brian Hartline, except he runs really well after the catch, finishes contested catches and shows innate physicality and strength that Hartline would never show in a million years.

Heck of a play right here (11:04):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFafsSetyM&feature=player_detailpage#t=664

And here (11:40):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFafsSetyM&feature=player_detailpage#t=700

Both of those at the most critical time of the game, too.

17. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I love the way you two can discuss or debate an issue without just throwing out statements like "he sucks" and how you at least have some info to support why you like or dislike a player.

18. ckparrothead

Thanks. If there's one thing I've tried to avoid for many years it's the "He's garbage, trust me I'm awesome at football" approach to posting.

I think there may literally not be a person outside the NFL whose opinions on draft prospects I respect more than Slimm's, so I try and toe a fine line when it comes to disagreement versus disrespect.

19. j-off-her-doll

Beautifully explained, Slimm. Thank you.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

kasen williams is a better prospect than chris harper...more explosive more burst murderous downfield blocker...just more quick twitch and dynamic...i don't know how the injuries will play out draft wise or how much they will effect how his game looks this year but williams game transfers much better to the pros...i was really looking forward to seeing williams play in 2013 after what i saw from him prior...

different level prospect than harper tools wise...

if parker has burst out of his cuts and comes out of them well that will separate him from dobson in some regards...dobsons just so meh out of his cuts...2 years ago parker looked more like a red zone mismatch than complete wr to me but i saw some growth in 2013...most of my time this last season was spent enjoying bridgewaters spot on presnap reads and decision making with the football...parkers more of a mismatch in the red zone than dobson too...but parts of parkers game are still raw

i don't see special talent in ty montgomery...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  21. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

What's your thoughts on Ty Montgomery? I like his talent, but haven't seen enough of the wide receivers to say where he ranks. Looks like a #1 pick to me with the added versatility of returning kicks. As much as I think Miami's receivers are overall a strength, I still think the team could use some more talent there especially someone a little bigger who can dominate in the redzone.

22. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

DeVante Parker injured his foot in practice last night (Friday) and will get a second opinion from Dr. Bob Anderson in Charlotte. He's worked on the feet of Derek Jeter, Cam Newton, and Julio Jones among others. His aunt posted on Facebook today that it's just a sprain and not a break. It could be that he's just wanting to make sure the doctors up here haven't misdiagnosed the injury. Foot injuries can derail a career so if that is why he's visiting the specialist then that's a smart call. No word yet on how many, if any, games he'll miss.

He tweeted this yesterday:

[tweet]503019871878533121[/tweet]

23. TedSlimmJr

Kevin White. Mountaineers. He's good. Real good. Great pro prospect at the WR position.

Sooners better be careful when they go into Morgantown Saturday.

24. ckparrothead

Yeah I watched him after that Alabama game, which I'm positive is when he caught your eye as well. I was surprised.

Clint Trickett might make a decent backup quarterback at the next level, sort of a career clipboard holder. Big arm, smart.

25. TedSlimmJr

He was beating up on a coverted WR that has no business starting at CB for Alabama, but he's a big physical receiver that's extremely explosive and dynamic RAC skills. He caught my eye last year because he was always the one making plays for West Virginia. His consistency in the way he takes over games is getting better and better every week. He looks like a top 100 player to me.

Trickett has certainly improved. The concern with him is obvious though... he's still skinny. I can't knock him anymore for it though than kids like Halliday, Cato, or Keeton in this class. They're all built about the same in terms of lack of bulk. All have a certain degree of arm talent though. You'll stick 'em on the roster and develope them over a few years as hopefully capable backups at the next level.

26. Tannenbombs

Tannenbombs FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Kevin White is drawing some Larry Fitzgerald comparisons. Time to dig into his film.

27. TedSlimmJr

He's a beast ain't no question about it. He's lit up Alabama, Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas, and Maryland for 41 receptions, 658 yards, and 4 TD's. He's averaging over 16 yards/catch in those 5 games. He's even better now than he was last year. In other words, he's still improving. Fantastic upside.

28. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

Kevin White.......

Going back to something Awsi said about guys usually can be expected to be what they are from the beginning of their college careers.

White has made some big plays so far this season.

Last season, I was at almost every home game. I recall going away thinking he was soft. I noticed quite a few occasions where it seemed like he wanted no part of contact. He fumbled a ball once where he had zero business fumbling. It was a play where he seemed timid to take a hit and it resulted in a fumble. He also had quite a few key drops I recall last season.

He seems like a much better player so far this season, but I would be easy on the Fitzgerald comparisons at this point. If he continues to play the way he has so far this season, his draft stock will definitely rise to the 1st round. I would still be concerned about what I witnessed in that stadium last year though. I wish I could recall the game and pull up the play.

Let me clear up my statement about White not wanting contact last year. Im not one of those guys that bashed Ginn for going to the ground or getting out of bounds. I always thought that was stupid. MOST WRs do that, and for good reason. Once they get the 1st down, there is no reason for them to take vicious hits for 1 or 2 yards. All they do is risk a fumble and/or injury. If they need to fight for yardage because they are close to the sticks, then by all means. But, what I was talking about with White was it seemed like he had a complete lack of interest in blocking or making tough catches when contact was inevitable. That fumble just struck me the wrong way. If you get a chance to see the play, the fumble happened because he was too busy trying to brace himself in a defensive manner as opposed to dishing out the punishment. When youre the big physical WR, that is not good. He just seemed like he was not physical.

29. WVDolphan

Trickett is a tough little son of a gun, but I think he could still qualify to play midget league football. He weighs about 150lbs. He makes Pat White look like Cam Wake.

30. Tannenbombs

Potential 1st Round? I see you have him behind Devante Parker, and Rashad Greene. And this thread was made in March. Would you move him up past them now?

31. dolfan_101

dolfan_101 A True Fan

I love your writing slimm, one sentence into one of your posts I'm hook, line, & sinker. If you're not a paid journalist the industry is missing out.

32. WVUBOB

WVUBOB Well-Known Member Donator

Yep Trickett looks frail & vulnerable.......don`t know how much truth, but someone on the WVa mb made a comment
    that he suffers from a celiac condition which makes weight gain difficult

33. TedSlimmJr

Thank you very much I'm glad you enjoy reading them.

However, the truth is I'm the furthest thing from a journalist as you can get. There's a lot of things I'd do to get paid before I'd do that. I despise most sports writers and journalists. Its just the coach in me.

As Spurrier would say....I'm just a ol' ball coach.

To give you an idea of how I feel about sports writers or journalists... I always go back to an example set by Bear Bryant many years ago.

After a local journalist covering the Crimson Tide passed away, some people were taking up a collection to help pay for his final expenses. A guy came to Coach Bryant and asked him if he could donate $10 to help pay for his burial.....

...Coach Bryant reached in his back pocket, pulled out his wallet and handed the guy a $20 dollar bill and said, "Here, bury two of 'em"...

I think he got his point across.

34. Tannenbombs

I really like Kevin White. > Benjamin

35. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

36. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

37. bootang25

bootang25 Well-Known Member

Ironically the guy I see most for a player comp of Justin Hardy is our own Brandon Gibson, I think Hardy will be able to carve out a similar career by being a savvy, reliable route runner that knows how to get open, and has a nice combo of hands/catch radius.

38. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Miami desperately needs a WR (or TE) that can just go get the ball.

If qb wasn't a major need give me Kevin White from WVU

39. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Regarding special Talent.

AJ Green was a special talent. Knew him personally and played against him and studied him throughout hs, he's the definition of a special talent imo.

40. WVDolphan

White continues to dominate this season. He and Cooper will be the top 2 WRs selected in the 2015 draft.