Slimm's 2015 Wide Receivers (Underclassmen) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Wide Receivers (Underclassmen)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Amari Cooper / Alabama / 6'1", 208

2. Sammie Coates / Auburn / 6'2", 216

sammiecoatesusessomemusclesagainsttamude-1.gif

3. Dorial Green-Beckham / Missouri / 6'6", 225

4. Cayleb Jones / Arizona / 6'3", 215
(Big, fast, physical receiver is a transfer from Texas. Outstanding NFL bloodlines. Son of former NFL linebacker Robert Jones. Nephew of former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake.)

5. Quinshad Davis / North Carolina / 6'4", 205

6. Stefon Diggs / Maryland / 6'0", 195

7. Nelson Agholor / USC / 6'0", 185

8. Jaelen Strong / Arizona St. / 6'4", 205

9. Sterling Shephard / Oklahoma / 5'10", 193

10. Dom Williams / Washington St. / 6'2", 192

11. D'haquille Williams / Auburn / 6'2", 216

12. Deontay Greenberry / Houston / 6'3", 198

13. Breshad Perriman / UCF / 6'2", 209

14. Alonzo Russell / Toledo / 6'4", 190

[video=youtube;BR2WqpMJLRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BR2WqpMJLRA[/video]

15. Shaq Roland / South Carolina / 6'1", 190

16. Tajae Sharpe / UMASS / 6'4", 200

17. Herb Waters / Miami / 6'2", 190

18. Leonte Carroo / Rutgers / 6'1", 200

19. Nelson Spruce / Colorado / 6'1", 195

20. Jason Croom / Tennessee / 6'5", 243

21. Chris Harper / California / 6'0", 185

22. Chris Moore / Cincinnati / 6'1", 190

23. Cody Core / Ole Miss / 6'2", 196

24. Geno Lewis / Penn St. / 6'1", 199

25. Jordan Westerkamp / Nebraska / 6'0", 195

26. Chris Brown / Notre Dame / 6'2", 191

27. Bralon Addison / Oregon / 5'10", 181

28. Rashon Caeser / UL-Monroe / 6'0", 183

29. Ricardo Louis / Auburn / 6'2", 215

30. Mitch Matthews / BYU / 6'6", 206

31. Max McCaffrey / Duke / 6'2", 190
(His father is former Denver Bronco Ed McCaffrey. Plays a little like his ol' man.)

32. Michael Rector / Stanford / 6'1", 187
(Rector led the country averaging nearly 31 yards/catch. Everytime you see him he's blowing the top off some secondary.)

33. Melvin Ray / Auburn / 6'3", 213

34. Chris Black / Alabama / 5'11", 185

35. Germone Hopper / Clemson / 6'0", 180
(Hopper is a tremendous talent ready to break out. Will be the guy for Clemson with Watkins and Bryant gone to the NFL.)

36. Danny Woodson / South Alabama / 6'1", 210
(Woodson is another former 4-Star Alabama commit that was suspended and transferred to South Alabama. His father played QB at Alabama in the late 80's early 90's. Only caught 1 pass in a Crimson Tide uniform during the 52-0 romp of Arkansas in 2012. Big time talent that began to show through last year for South Alabama)

37. Jordan Williams / Ball St. / 6'2", 224

38. Bryan Holmes / Troy / 5'11", 178

39. Pig Howard / Tennessee / 5'8", 185

40. Marcus Johnson / Texas / 6'1", 189

41. Daje Johnson / Texas / 5'10", 180

42. Joe Morrow / Mississippi St. / 6'4", 210

43. Jakeem Grant / Texas Tech / 5'6", 165

44. Bryce Treggs / California / 5'11", 185

45. K.J. Maye / Minnesota / 5'10", 197

46. Von Pearson / Tennessee / 6'3", 185

47. Trevor Davis / California / 6'2", 180

48. Shane Williams-Rhodes / Boise St. / 5'6", 160

49. Justin Scott-Wesley / Georgia / 5'11", 206

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see Quinshad Davis getting the love. I like him a lot. Same with Diggs. Green-Beckham needs to get his act together and mature a bit, but no denying his talent.

Yep. I believe the light came on for Green-Beckham last year. Flashed overwhelming dominance in big games and finally looked like the #1 overall recruit. Needs to turn those flashes into a little more consistency in 2014. He doesn't need to be dominant every game.. just consistent. The ability to be a dominant playmaker is there. He's learning how to work to earn his keep instead of relying on size, speed, and raw talent. He turned a corner last year in terms of effort in my opinion.

Yep. I believe the light came on for Green-Beckham last year. Flashed overwhelming dominance in big games and finally looked like the #1 overall recruit. Needs to turn those flashes into a little more consistency in 2014. He doesn't need to be dominant every game.. just consistent. The ability to be a dominant playmaker is there. He's learning how to work to earn his keep instead of relying on size, speed, and raw talent. He turned a corner last year in terms of effort in my opinion.

Completely agree. He'll be a fun one to watch this year.

I love Sammie Coates. Explosive, strong, mean - outstanding with the ball in the air and after the catch. Not an ideal situation for a WR prospect - kind of a modified Calvin Johnson/ Demaryius Thomas role - but I think he'll be worth a 1st. And he plays kind of like a smaller Demaryius Thomas.

And Green-Beckham has been dismissed from Mizzou. He's wasting his talent with poor decisions.

If he had been actually charged (other than trespassing) in his earlier run-ins with the law perhaps it would've woke him up. But to continually be given a free slide apparently did nothing to dissuade him. All he has to do is show a little will power and he'll be a multi-millionaire soon.

He'll go to JUCO, dominate, and be an All-American. From there it's up to him again.

I can see why Jaelen Strong isn't as high up on the list here as he is with other people.

A lot of his production strikes me as manufactured. They put him in the slot from a twins look running into zones and that gives him a lot of freedom to get up to speed and in position to use the overall force of his speed and size to go up for high contested catches or to just catch the ball in space with nobody ever having assumed coverage. He catches a lot of his other stuff that way as well, catching the football underneath especially airy off coverage, or running into the holes between cover two and being hit perfectly by Taylor Kelly, etc. The only situation I saw him consistently win in man coverage were back shoulders specifically on the right sideline (not nearly as good on the left sideline). Seems to also have trouble securing the football on drag routes. When he does catch the ball in space he does nothing particularly interesting after the catch.

He's not very compact in how he runs and I think it makes him predictable and slow into his breaks. He doesn't know anything about using his hands and feet to get away from press coverage and he clearly had issues dealing with jams against a few teams. I don't know if he's ever going to have the agility to create separation in man coverage. He's going to need to get a lot better with his hands creating space for himself against physical coverage, and then he's also going to have to learn to actually finish catches.

JUCO transfer, still young enough he could improve. Not someone you want to close the book on yet. But also not someone I'm writing home about. Reminds me of Cartlon Mitchell and Martavis Bryant.

I can see why Jaelen Strong isn't as high up on the list here as he is with other people.

As an ASU alum, I have to agree with your points CK. Strong is a big target, but needs to work more on his catches and the ability to break away from defenders. He is a little overrated but there is room for him to get better. The WR that I really really like is Nelson Agholor. I liked him even more than USC's Marqise Lee, who just got drafted by the Jags.

5. Nelson Agholor / USC / 6'0", 185

[video=youtube;O6sVno9RD9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6sVno9RD9M[/video]

[video=youtube;Wo1_l1XNg4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo1_l1XNg4I[/video]

[video=youtube;Wo1_l1XNg4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo1_l1XNg4I[/video]

I watched Sammy Coates a few times here in high school when he played for Leroy High and Coach Powell. I watched him win MVP in the 2A state championship game. He was always a freak in high school, and he's become an even better freak since he stepped on campus at Auburn.

He clocked a 4.31 at Auburn's camp as an incoming recruit his Junior year of high school. I watched him go up against Dee Milliner in an epic one-on-one battle that year that is still one of the best matchups that we talk about around here in terms of high school football. He suffered through a broken ankle all that season after he injured it at Rivals camp back in '09.

The interesting thing about Coates is that he originally committed to Southern Miss. He was supposed to be their next DeAndre Brown. People have probably forgotten, but DeAndre Brown was a 5-Star prospect that was one of the top 3 WR's in the country coming out of high school that year along with A.J. Green and Julio Jones. Brown was never the same at Southern Miss after he broke his leg. Suffered a lot of off field issues as a result. That kid could've been a great one. So talented.

I watched Sammy Coates a few times here in high school when he played for Leroy High and Coach Powell. I watched him win MVP in the 2A state championship game. He was always a freak in high school, and he's become an even better freak since he stepped on campus at Auburn.

He clocked a 4.31 at Auburn's camp as an incoming recruit his Junior year of high school. I watched him go up against Dee Milliner in an epic one-on-one battle that year that is still one of the best matchups that we talk about around here in terms of high school football. He suffered through a broken ankle all that season after he injured it at Rivals camp back in '09.

The interesting thing about Coates is that he originally committed to Southern Miss. He was supposed to be their next DeAndre Brown. People have probably forgotten, but DeAndre Brown was a 5-Star prospect that was one of the top 3 WR's in the country coming out of high school that year along with A.J. Green and Julio Jones. Brown was never the same at Southern Miss after he broke his leg. Suffered a lot of off field issues as a result. That kid could've been a great one. So talented.

I recently placed Sammie Coates #11 on my big board here in the draft forum. I think he compares to Calvin and Demaryius in a sense that he is an incredibly explosive athletic freak coming from a run first offense and needs some fine tuning in route running. I don't think Samme will be one of the best 5 WR's in the NFL like Calvin or Demaryius but that's just who he reminds me of from an athletic/scheme comparison. I think he will end up being a very good #2 WR. I would be shocked if he can't become a top 20 WR in the NFL. I just don't think he will develop into a "True #1" WR. But I think worst case scenario you're getting Mike Wallace type deep threat ability + great ability to play above the rim and high point the ball+ great YAC. So that warrants a 1st round grade for me.

Slimm,

How would you rank Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, and Amari Cooper coming out of college?

Slimm,

How would you rank Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, and Amari Cooper coming out of college?

Sammy Watkins had the best season at WR a freshman has ever had. Then he ran into a little trouble off the field that derailed his sophomore year a little bit.

Julio was one of these "1 percenters" that I talk about. In terms of being a physical specimen, they don't get much better than what Julio was. He was a grown man coming out of high school. One of these kids that could've played in the NFL at 18 years old. But it was his work ethic and impeccable character that made him truly special. That's what the Falcons traded all those picks for. Not just his talent.

Amari Cooper isn't as explosive or physical as either. What makes him special is his attention to detail and ability to create separation with his route running. He sets DB's up. I don't think he's a top 10 pick because he's not quite as physically gifted as those two. He's more of a Reggie Wayne coming out of college.

1. Julio
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Amari Cooper

Back
Top Bottom