Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Connor Cook / Michigan St. / 6'3", 220 (Ready to come in and start day 1 in the NFL. A winner)

2. Jacoby Brissett / N.C. State / 6'3", 236 (Needs to improve from inside the pocket)

3. Cody Kessler / USC / 6'1", 214 (Week in and week out, he's the most consistent quarterback in the country. Only knock is his size. Comfortable working through progressions and extremely accurate. Efficient. Productive)

4. Brandon Doughty / Western Kentucky / 6'3", 215

5. Dak Prescott / Mississippi St. / 6'1", 230

6. Matt Johnson / Bowling Green / 6'0", 215

7. Kevin Hogan / Stanford / 6'4", 228

8. Carson Wentz / North Dakota St. / 6'5", 231

9. Nate Sudfeld / Indiana / 6'4", 232

10. Brandon Allen / Arkansas / 6'3", 216

11. Everett Golson / Florida St. / 6'0", 201

12. Jake Rudock / Michigan / 6'3", 208 (Transfer from Iowa)

13. Jacob Coker / Alabama / 6'4", 230

14. Joe Licata / Buffalo / 6'2", 226

buffalo-8-27-art-gnsocpp7-1licata-jpg.jpg

15. Travis Wilson / Utah / 6'6", 240

16. Chuckie Keeton / Utah St. / 6'2", 210

17. Mike Bercovici / Arizona St. / 6'1", 204

18. Jaquez Johnson / FAU / 6'1", 240

19. Sam Richardson / Iowa St. / 6'2", 217

The following are athletes that could be asked to convert to another position:

1. Braxton Miller / Ohio St. / 6'2", 215

2. Trevone Boykin / TCU / 6'2", 216

3. Taysom Hill / BYU / 6'2", 221

4. Marquise Williams / North Carolina / 6'2", 215

UNC.jpg

5. Vernon Adams / Oregon / 6'0", 195 (Transferred up from Eastern Washington where he was the best player in the country at the FCS level. Oregon, Texas, UCLA, Maryland, and Boise St. were all interested in Adams)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what the big deal about Kesslers size is. He's about 6'1 in person and extremely thick.

Not sure what the big deal about Kesslers size is. He's about 6'1 in person and extremely thick.

Who said it was a big deal? It's not a big deal, it's just the knock on him. It's the knock on any quarterback under 6'2". It'll cause him to slip further than he should on draft day.

Furthermore, when did you decide to come around on Kessler? You tried to tell me this time last year in my 2015 underclassman QB thread that he wasn't an NFL quarterback prospect at all, and wanted to know why he was even on my list of prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said it was a big deal? It's not a big deal, it's just the knock on him. It's the knock on any quarterback under 6'2". It'll cause him to slip further than he should on draft day.

Furthermore, when did you decide to come around on Kessler? You tried to tell me this time last year in my 2015 underclassman QB thread that he wasn't an NFL quarterback prospect at all, and wanted to know why he was even on my list of prospects.

After I watched his tape. My biggest issue is that he holds on to the ball way too long and I didn't like his anticipation.

I made a mistake based off his sophomore year and the fact I knew a bunch of players while I was a grad student at USC and I was able to watch him up close consistently.

Kind of intrigued with what they're doing with Kevin Hogan at Stanford.

They began using this VR technology both in practice and before games, which simulates certain defensive looks he's going to get when he's actually under center during the game. They swear it's worked wonders for him.

It's actually a pretty revolutionary technology in the way they're able to record the 360 degree video during practices that they end up using in the simulation.

Kevin Hogan could really benefit from it. His biggest issue to me is his proclivity to stare down his intended target.

You mention Everett Gholson likely to transfer. If I read right on B/R, he did to Florida St.

I would definitely draft Cook, Brissett, and Kessler. Would love Chuckie or Wentz as an UDFA. I'd probably sign Hogan or Bercovici if I couldn't snag Chuckie or Wentz. The rest? Meh. I'll let someone else draft/sign them.

If this StriVR technology is as real as I think it could be then I would really watch out for Kevin Hogan this year.

I'm not saying he's a top prospect but we all know he's got the tools and in the three games where he started game prepping with the StriVR equipment for about 20 or 30 minutes prior to the game, he jumped to 45 of 59 for 637 yards, 4 TD and 1 INT, with 21 runs for 142 yards and 1 more TD. They went from a team that I believe was notorious for their red zone problems (scoring on only 50 percent of red zone trips) to being a team that scored on all 27 of their trips inside the red zone. They hung 38 points on Cal, 31 points on 10th ranked UCLA and then 45 points on Maryland in the bowl game.

That is an incredible performance to close out the year. As I said, prior to that they were only scoring on 50 percent of trips inside the red zone (in part due to some failed decisions to go for it on 4th down)...and they were a team that could only hang up 10 points on USC, 20 points on Washington, 14 points on Notre Dame, 10 points on Arizona State, 16 points on Oregon, 17 points on Utah.

Is that all because he was getting immersive QB-oriented views of defensive looks that he might see in certain situations during the game? I don't know the answer to that. The StriVR people believe so but they have every incentive to believe that because they're trying to sell their methodology (the beauty of which is probably in the way they film the practices as the equipment itself isn't necessarily new) to NFL and college teams.

But they point out a play against Maryland in the bowl game that could resonate. Stanford called "95 Bama" on the first drive of the second half, a strong side run that requires the wide receiver to make a key block on the strong safety. But the Terps shifted their SAM to an on the line position and rotated the strong safety down as the free safety came up single-high. Hogan had seen the Terps' blitz looks several times during the VR sessions just prior to the game's start and so it was "easy" (in his own words) to recognize the look and make the right kill call to have a guard kick out and take out that attacking safety. The play resulted in a 35 yard gallop by Remound Wright.

I'm just saying that if you can expect more of what we saw in those last three games from Kevin Hogan...not only will Stanford be a helluva tough team to contend with, but with Hogan's physical tools we could end up seeing him discussed in those upper levels of the draft.

My biggest knock with Hogan is that release. It's painful to watch him throw a football. Right handed Tebow (albeit more accurate).

EDIT: It will be interesting to monitor the software and it's effectiveness. But as CK said, how will you really know if it's working? I guess the best way to determine that would be to monitor Hogan's field vision (which is average at best) throughout the 2015 season.

Kevin Hogan's release isn't really an issue. There's too many different ways for a QB to release the football and be successful. If you're a QB coach trying to overhaul a guy's release at this stage of his career, you're heading down a road you don't want to go down. Neither one of you are going to be successful. The only thing you can try to do is shorten it up.

To CK's point, he could absolutely be among the top quarterbacks in the eyes of the NFL for 2016. I feel like he already is as my #4 Senior quarterback. He just struggles with staring down his targets.

Hogan went through a stretch last year where he was really ineffective, but he finished strong. Honestly, I don't see how he played as well as he did last year. He lost his dad in December, literally having to watch him suffer until the end of his battle with cancer. It's incredible how Kevin was able to finish the season at all.

The thing that stands out about Kevin Hogan to me is that I can tell he has a certain set of intangibles that you want at the quarterback position. Aside from being a big, mobile, strong armed passer of the football. He's been well coached, and he does a lot of the things that he'll be asked to do in the NFL in terms of play action and turning his back to the defense that a lot of his peers aren't asked to do.

That was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I think you guys would agree it isn't a quick release, but the Tebow comp in terms of release quickness was a bit of a stretch. And yes, at this point attempting to change a redshirt Senior's throwing mechanics would be futile.

If the draft were tomorrow, where would you guys take Hogan? I probably wouldn't personally. He does some things I like (make checks in the run game, play from under center.. Do things asked of an NFL QB, has some arm strength, good size, and run ability.) I just can't get over his release and field vision. If the latter can improve I think my opinion of him would change a bit. Jameis didn't have the quickest release but would compensate for it with anticipation. Where I feel like Hogan is more of a "see him open" type of passer. Just my 0.02$

That was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I think you guys would agree it isn't a quick release, but the Tebow comp in terms of release quickness was a bit of a stretch. And yes, at this point attempting to change a redshirt Senior's throwing mechanics would be futile.

If the draft were tomorrow, where would you guys take Hogan? I probably wouldn't personally. He does some things I like (make checks in the run game, play from under center.. Do things asked of an NFL QB, has some arm strength, good size, and run ability.) I just can't get over his release and field vision. If the latter can improve I think my opinion of him would change a bit. Jameis didn't have the quickest release but would compensate for it with anticipation. Where I feel like Hogan is more of a "see him open" type of passer. Just my 0.02$

He's definitely no Jameis Winston but there ain't many that are. Hogan is certainly more of a see it/throw it type quarterback. However, in addition to a certain set of intangibles that I like in him, along with the NFL type nuances that is required of him, he throws the ball downfield... which is what I like to see. The play calling last year was so conservative at times that it suffocated Stanford's offense and the quarterback. In turn, it caused some friction between Hogan and the coaching staff.

If the draft were tomorrow and I needed a quarterback, I'd take him in the 4th round. He reminds me a little bit of Chris Chandler coming out of Washington back in the late 80's. I doubt he'll ever be a franchise savior or a consistent franchise caliber quarterback year in and year out, but he's armed with more qualities than most others that will help him be successful.... at least in the short term. Chandler managed to stay in the league for 17 years bouncing around all over the place and had a couple of pro-bowl seasons. Eventually led the Falcons to a 14-2 record and a superbowl appearance.

The bigger issue for teams is that big, mobile, strong armed passers that are adept at executing pro-style nuances at the line of scrimmage aren't just a dime a dozen. Instead, that honor belongs to the system QB's operating from the shotgun that throw 25 bubble screens a game, and must acquaint themselves with the art of taking a drop from under center during the pre-draft process... among a host of other things. Such as actually calling a play in the huddle and being a leader, instead of having it come from the sidelines. These things are invaluable to coaches.

He doesn't have the quick release, but as long as his decision making is quick and sound, that's all that matters. That's what you're hoping develops.

Back
Top Bottom