Slimm's 2017 Cornerbacks (Seniors) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Cornerbacks (Seniors)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Tre'Davious White / LSU / 5'11", 192 (#15 overall)

2. Kevin King / Washington / 6'3", 200 (#54 overall)

3. Cordrea Tankersley / Clemson / 6'1", 199 (#56 overall)

4. Chidobe Awuzie / Colorado / 6'0", 202
(#58 overall)
20131116__17dcsdef_500.jpg

5. Cameron Sutton / Tennessee / 5'11", 188 (#59 overall)

6. Fabian Moreau / UCLA / 6'0", 206 (#75 overall)

7. Desmond King / Iowa / 5'10", 201 (#91 overall)

8. Damontae Kazee / San Diego St. / 5'10", 184 (#99 overall)

9. Jourdon Lewis / Michigan / 5'10", 188 (#112 overall)

10. Corn Elder / Miami / 5'10", 183 (#124 overall)

11. Rasul Douglas / W. Virginia / 6'2", 209 (#130 overall)

12. Des Lawrence / N. Carolina / 6'0", 188 (#133 overall)

13. Jack Tocho / N.C. State / 6'0", 202 (#135 overall)

14. Marquez White / Florida St. / 6'0", 194 (#174 overall)

15. DeVon Edwards / Duke / 5'9", 180 (#202 overall)

16. Malik Foreman / Tennessee / 5'11", 187 (#204 overall)

17. Josh Holsey / Auburn / 5'11", 195 (#208 overall)

18. Horace Richardson / SMU / 6'0", 200 (#212 overall)

19. Jeremy Cutrer / MTSU / 6'1", 175 (#215 overall)

20. DeAndre Scott / Akron / 5'11", 185 (#230 overall)

21. Brandon Wilson / Houston / 5'10", 201 (#235 overall)

22. Matthew Harris / Northwestern / 5'11", 184 (#244 overall)

23. Ishmael Adams / UCLA / 5'8", 180 (#252 overall)

24. William Likely / Maryland / 5'7", 180 (#255 overall)

25. Breon Borders / Duke / 6'0", 186 (UDFA)

26. Aarion Penton / Missouri / 5'9", 177 (UDFA)

27. Tony Bridges / Ole Miss / 6'0", 184 (UDFA)

28. Sojourn Shelton / Wisconsin / 5'9", 177 (UDFA)

29. Jalen Myrick / Minnesota / 5'10", 200 (UDFA)

30. Torren McGaster / Vanderbilt / 6'0", 200
(UDFA)
8826682.jpg

31. Cole Luke / Notre Dame / 5'11", 193 (UDFA)

32. Tim Harris / Virginia / 6'2", 200 (UDFA)

33. Greg Mabin / Iowa / 6'2", 200 (UDFA)

34. Dominique Hatfield / Utah / 5'10", 170 (UDFA)

35. Nigel Tribune / Iowa St. / 5'11", 184
(UDFA)
ISUvWVU-BA-18.jpg

36. Boise Ross / Buffalo / 6'0", 185 (UDFA)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been watching some of Washington's Kevin King and I think he deserves to be on this list. There's some potential there and he's a lot better in coverage on tape than I thought he'd be.

I like Demontae Kazee and I'd give him a shot as a slot corner but he did have a tough day against Cal, game-saving interception in the final seconds notwithstanding. Cal used his strength against him beautifully.

First- appreciate these evaluations-they reflect your independent thinking and so often on point.

Desmond King- THANK YOU for not over thinking this one. I've seen the so called experts have him outside top 10 CBs. Some guys are just damn good football players. King is just that and will be a solid starter for 10 years in the league. He has same build as Chris Harris and I won't be surprised to see his combine measurables to be where they need to be.

Hey Slimm,

Do you see any guys on this list or on the underclass list that you're tempted to move to safety or to be a hybrid free safety/slot corner? Aside from DeVon Edwards whom you've already noted.

I'm coming up a little blank on this but seeing how guys like Lardarius Webb, Byron Jones and Devin McCourty get used, I think it's perhaps becoming more of a trend to get a hybrid player in there.

I'm pretty sure some teams are looking at King for S.

San Diego State CB Damontae Kazee ended his college career with 17 INT 29 PBU and 6 FF and 2 defensive TD in 53 games.

Hey Slimm,

Do you see any guys on this list or on the underclass list that you're tempted to move to safety or to be a hybrid free safety/slot corner? Aside from DeVon Edwards whom you've already noted.

I'm coming up a little blank on this but seeing how guys like Lardarius Webb, Byron Jones and Devin McCourty get used, I think it's perhaps becoming more of a trend to get a hybrid player in there.

Not on this list but Budda Baker will surely be looked at in that light.

Hey Slimm,

Of my Seniors here I think you'd look at Desmond King, Chidobe Awuzie, DeVon Edwards, and Heath Harding,

Underclassman I think you'd look at Sean Chandler, Adonis Alexander, and Tajee Fulwood. Chandler and Fulwood already having made a switch to safety for their respective defenses.

But ideally I think you're looking at a kid like Budda Baker as that prototype nickel safety/hybrid slot corner. Eddie Jackson, Chuck Clark, Zach Edwards, Leon McQuay, Fish Smithson, Randall Goforth, Marcus Williams, Jaleel Wadood, and Tony Brown are all the type of players that I think can fill that type of role. Most already have experience playing both CB and Safety and have proven their versatility.

Awuzie has more tackles, TFL's, and FF's than most of the top Safety and LB prospects. I don't know that I'd trust him in a single-high look, and he's a little smaller than ideal for an NFL SS, but in D's like Minnesota, Cincinnati, and Miami, I can see him at CB or Safety. This is a really fun CB group.

I'm no expert by any means but I think you have Corn Eldar a littler low. the guy is small I understand but he is going to be a great Nickel corner and in this day and age the Nickel corner is very important. look at how bad McCain was this year for us

Slimm you got any thoughts on Jack Tocho as a slot?

I know he's waaaay down your list but I've liked him for years. Big wingspan for a corner, 6'4.5" at 6'0" height and 200 lbs weight. The only CB here in St. Pete with bigger wingspan is the 6'2" Treston DeCoud.

Tocho looks comfortable with that frame. Physical. Good movement skills.

From my vantage the biggest problem I've always had with him is when it came to pure long speed he may be a little lacking. But that gets covered up when you're a slot.

Miami likes their corners to be able to be physical at the line and off the line, big wingspan facilitates that.

I've been watching him at practice this week. He plays really well. Just good at everything asked.

I'm not in love with UNC's wide receivers but they're all good for the college level and he had a great game covering them (He's #29, generally played LCB).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHEDzkU6Xc&feature=youtu.be

He had Trubisky looking for him in bump and run man coverage on Jordan Cunningham at the 1:10 mark but Trubisky had to come off him and got coverage sacked. Then he broke up a ball intended for Bug Howard at 1:28 in man coverage. He had a nice bit of coverage at 5:06 as well as Bug Howard seemed like he just kind of improvised a route to try and shake him any way he could and Tocho stayed very disciplined. I believe Tocho got hurt during the game. Wolfpack brought Nick McCloud in at the LCB position instead of Tocho, and they regretted it. Tocho didn't let up a single catch while McCloud let up several, including the big touchdown to Bug Howard that spurred a comeback attempt.

And if you watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKnXr1_jOWo&feature=youtu.be

He hardly let up anything to East Carolina or Zay Jones. He made a heck of a play against the screen at 0:52. If you look at the replay at 1:54, I like the way he stuck his foot in the ground and closed off the back pedal even though ultimately Zay Jones caught the ball.

And this interception against Zay Jones in man coverage is superb:
https://youtu.be/lKnXr1_jOWo?t=224

People are gonna blame the QB but the bottom line is Zay was just not open. Tocho hit him with a punch off the line that let him stay in Zay's hip pocket easily and there was barely any window to throw that ball.

Zay Jones caught another ball on Tocho at 9:04 but the coverage was about as tight as you can get on the play. Sometimes a good throw and a good catch against the right coverage will make the play. He backed off because he read screen out to the flat and didn't want to end up picking off the defenders that would've been chasing it out. He still closed on Zay and made that catch hard. And two plays later at 9:21 he stuck the HELL out of that receiver.

Slimm you got any thoughts on Jack Tocho as a slot?

I know he's waaaay down your list but I've liked him for years. Big wingspan for a corner, 6'4.5" at 6'0" height and 200 lbs weight. The only CB here in St. Pete with bigger wingspan is the 6'2" Treston DeCoud.

Tocho looks comfortable with that frame. Physical. Good movement skills.

From my vantage the biggest problem I've always had with him is when it came to pure long speed he may be a little lacking. But that gets covered up when you're a slot.

Miami likes their corners to be able to be physical at the line and off the line, big wingspan facilitates that.

I've been watching him at practice this week. He plays really well. Just good at everything asked.

I'm not in love with UNC's wide receivers but they're all good for the college level and he had a great game covering them (He's #29, generally played LCB).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHEDzkU6Xc&feature=youtu.be

He had Trubisky looking for him in bump and run man coverage on Jordan Cunningham at the 1:10 mark but Trubisky had to come off him and got coverage sacked. Then he broke up a ball intended for Bug Howard at 1:28 in man coverage. He had a nice bit of coverage at 5:06 as well as Bug Howard seemed like he just kind of improvised a route to try and shake him any way he could and Tocho stayed very disciplined. I believe Tocho got hurt during the game. Wolfpack brought Nick McCloud in at the LCB position instead of Tocho, and they regretted it. Tocho didn't let up a single catch while McCloud let up several, including the big touchdown to Bug Howard that spurred a comeback attempt.

And if you watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKnXr1_jOWo&feature=youtu.be

He hardly let up anything to East Carolina or Zay Jones. He made a heck of a play against the screen at 0:52. If you look at the replay at 1:54, I like the way he stuck his foot in the ground and closed off the back pedal even though ultimately Zay Jones caught the ball.

And this interception against Zay Jones in man coverage is superb:
https://youtu.be/lKnXr1_jOWo?t=224

People are gonna blame the QB but the bottom line is Zay was just not open. Tocho hit him with a punch off the line that let him stay in Zay's hip pocket easily and there was barely any window to throw that ball.

Zay Jones caught another ball on Tocho at 9:04 but the coverage was about as tight as you can get on the play. Sometimes a good throw and a good catch against the right coverage will make the play. He backed off because he read screen out to the flat and didn't want to end up picking off the defenders that would've been chasing it out. He still closed on Zay and made that catch hard. And two plays later at 9:21 he stuck the HELL out of that receiver.

I'll tell you a kid I really like on the Wolfpack defense but haven't mentioned much is the nickel safety there #8 Dravious Wright. He's always where he's supposed to be and might be right there with Rueben Foster as the hardest hitter in college football pound for pound.

I watched him make several hits this season that were the most explosive tackles and hardest hits I'd seen all year. Had a monster game against Clemson. He hit Wayne Gallman so hard he caused a fumble and knocked him out of the game. Made huge plays on a goal line stand in that game that forced another fumble at the goal line that prevented another score. I feel like his play was the biggest factor that lead to the Wolfpack having a field goal opportunity to ultimately win the game at the end and a shot at pulling off the upset.

I believe he's one of the most underrated defenders in the country. Just watch him a little bit in those links you posted there. Don't be surprised when that kid ends up making plays in the NFL and nobody knows where he came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I watch Aarion Penton, the more I realize just how good he might be.

He has an enormous amount of speed, burst and general quickness. He knows those are his weapons and he uses them to great effect. He can close on anyone in man coverage. Anyone. He uses his speed and explosiveness to gain an edge on would be blockers in order to shut down run lanes and force the action back inside where there's help. So many guys just grab hold of the receiver, stay on the outside shoulder, and play the waiting game. He will stick his nose in physically. And for all speed and agility being the name of his game in coverage, I love the way he uses his hands physically to disrupt a receiver's route and maintain advantage. He's not perfect on his pattern reading, there can still be slight hiccups as he's executing, but he's far ahead of what you usually see with players at that level. Very good when being challenged high-low because he has an excellent, excellent back pedal.

He can stay in the hip pocket with seemingly anyone, and he's got good leaping ability for the finish. Had 5 picks this year, 9 picks in his 3 seasons as a significant rotator or starter. The reason I picked up his film is because he caught my eye in Shrine practice as a slot corner. He had fantastic coverage and made one of the most impressive interceptions of the week. I love a guy with his speed and confidence that he can stay with and/or close on anyone, because that gives him the confidence to be physical with his hands and that's when he just puts it all together so well.

In the three games I've watched of his, Vanderbilt, LSU, and West Virginia, when they attack his coverage they've been just as likely to get picked off as complete a ball. And I mean that mathematically. He had two official interceptions in the games but should have had a third because that 50/50 possession deep ball with D.J. Chark really belonged to him. It was great coverage and a hell of a play and he had that football first off his own tip-up, more than Chark did. I saw another pass interference on him in the end zone, it looked phantom to me.

The man is small. There's no doubt about it. He's 5'9.5" and 180 lbs. But if you're gonna be small you'd better be fast, physical and explosive. He is those things. You almost have to classify the small corners in their own category because some teams just won't mess around with them.

I would take him to compete with Bobby McCain for the slot job in Miami in a heartbeat. He's a winning player. Of the smaller corners, I think he might be the best.

Rasul Douglas looks great every time I watch him. Nice feet for a 6'2 200+lb CB. Looks natural in press and off; can stick with WR's in man, and he shows good awareness in zone. He should run in the 4.5's, so he's not a burner, but he breaks on the ball really well, and he has the ball skills to complete the play. Unless he runs in the 4.6's, I think he leapfrogs some of the very good CB prospects in front of him.

Back
Top Bottom