Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Myles Garrett / Texas A&M / 6'4", 272 (#1 overall)

2. Solomon Thomas / Stanford / 6'3", 273 ** (#4 overall)

3. Derek Barnett / Tennessee / 6'3", 259 (#11 overall)

4. Carl Lawson / Auburn / 6'2", 261 (#16 overall)

5. Charles Harris / Missouri / 6'3", 253 (#57 overall)

6. Al-Quadin Muhammad / Miami / 6'3", 253 (#201 overall)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Derek Barnett a lot but injuries or no I've got to put Carl Lawson ahead of him.

I like Derek Barnett a lot but injuries or no I've got to put Carl Lawson ahead of him.

I can see Lawson catching Barnett, but Barnett is so agile and versatile in his pass rush. I noticed his dip and bull rush look very similar until the deciding moment, and I really like that combination. He's very productive with each. Given how great Lawson looked against Tunsil, and in general when healthy, it's an interesting conversation. At this point, though, I think it's difficult to look at Barnett's sustained success and favor Lawson's flashes.

Getting an early start huh Ted. Anyways, thanks for posting these.

Sam Hubbard is going to shock a lot of people next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slimm: I'm going to evaluate Da'Shawn Hand soon, and I was wondering which 2-3 games you would recommend? I just finished up Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams. As you know, Alabama's front is like a hockey team. I'm just wondering if you know of any specific games where I could get a good feel for Hand. Thanks.

Slimm: I'm going to evaluate Da'Shawn Hand soon, and I was wondering which 2-3 games you would recommend? I just finished up Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams. As you know, Alabama's front is like a hockey team. I'm just wondering if you know of any specific games where I could get a good feel for Hand. Thanks.

Clemson, Mississippi St., Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, UL-Monroe. Probably in that order.

He didn't play in the Cotton Bowl against Michigan St.

Clemson, Mississippi St., Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, UL-Monroe. Probably in that order.

He didn't play in the Cotton Bowl against Michigan St.

Thanks. I was a little underwhelmed with Derek Barnett. At this point in the process I'll take Williams and Allen over him. Barnett needs to get much better with his hands vs run & pass. I can definitely see him making a rise next year if he does that. I just see a mid to late 1st rounder at this point. Not a top 5-10 pick.

Personally I think Carl Lawson gives Myles Garrett a run for #1 spot here, if he stays healthy. I don't consider Tim Williams or Jonathan Allen to be above Lawson, nor Derek Barnett.

I just don't want to overthink this. Cyrus Kouandjio and Laremy Tunsil were good tackles and Lawson made them look like trash. That's what he does.

Personally I think Carl Lawson gives Myles Garrett a run for #1 spot here, if he stays healthy. I don't consider Tim Williams or Jonathan Allen to be above Lawson, nor Derek Barnett.

I just don't want to overthink this. Cyrus Kouandjio and Laremy Tunsil were good tackles and Lawson made them look like trash. That's what he does.

Haven't got to Lawson yet, he's up today. His size is a bit of a concern, as well as his injury history. He'll measure short of 6'2. I've done a few games on him in the past, but I chose different ones for my exposures this time. I anticipate him being #3 for me after Garrett and Tim Williams.

So far I've only looked at:

Garrett
Williams
Allen
Barnett
Fields

By this time tomorrow I should finish up my EDGE evals.

Sam Hubbard will abuse the combine and I am expecting 12-15 sacks. He played SS in high school at Moeller. I think he'll overtake Garrett.

Carl Lawson and Derek Barnett are very similar in terms of the type of player they are, and they both have that thick, stumpy frame which is a little different.

Lawson is a total freak of a talent, and dominates games on the regular when he's on the field. The problem is he's hardly ever on it. I'm typically not one to be too harsh on a player for durability, as injuries are so unpredictable. However, Lawson has only played in what amounts to a season and a half over the past 3 years since he's been at Auburn. He's only suited up in 2 more games (21) than he's missed (19) during his career. That's very significant.

Barnett has been much more dependable. And he faces more double teams as teams scheme for him, especially after Curt Maggitt got injured....their only other pass rush threat. The issue with Barnett is he's always so inconsistent from game to game. He's been very productive, and it takes a special talent to come into the SEC and play as a true freshman the way he did in 2014, and continue that production last year as a sophomore. He's an extremely active DE with a tremendous motor and all out effort. He just needs to do it against better competition more consistently. He's done well against some pretty good tackles in Brandon Scherff, D.J. Humphries, Laremy Tunsil, Cam Robinson, Tyrus Thompson, and Corey Robinson over his first 2 seasons.

CK is right in terms of Lawson being the better natural talent over Barnett. It's the injuries that Lawson keeps suffering to his lower half that are concerning. Not the fact that he's missed games. I think you can justify either being over the other. I'm about as familiar with 'em as you can get. They're very similar types.

Both are quite a ways from being the prospect Myles Garrett is. Garrett is in Jadeveon Clowney territory as a defensive end. They're almost a carbon copy of one another from A to Z.

Sam Hubbard is the only one who can approach him as a prospect. Birdmond is correct there also. But he has to go out and do it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam Hubbard will abuse the combine and I am expecting 12-15 sacks. He played SS in high school at Moeller. I think he'll overtake Garrett.

Now I'm evaluating him and Lewis. They were on my watchlist.

I'm also trying not to do TOO MUCH projection during a pre-season evaluation. So Barnett could move up with improved hand use. Call it the Jeremy Johnson lesson.

I would say Eric Striker was the player that drop Kouandjio to the 2nd round not Carl Lawson. When Oklahoma played Alabama in the sugar bowl and Striker had 3 sacks against Kouandjio including the game clinching sack fumble that was returned for a TD. I know we where looking for a tackle at the time and I was watching that game thinking to myself please don't let us draft this guy.

Back
Top Bottom