Slimm's 2017 Defensive Tackles (Seniors) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Defensive Tackles (Seniors)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Jonathan Allen / Alabama / 6'3", 286 (#8 overall)

2. Montravius Adams / Auburn / 6'4", 304 (#24 overall)

3. Jaleel Johnson / Iowa / 6'3", 316 (#158 overall)

4. Dalvin Tomlinson / Alabama / 6'3", 310 (#160 overall)

5. D.J. Jones / Ole Miss / 6'1", 319 (#162 overall)

6. Larry Ogunjobi / Charlotte / 6'3", 305 (#179 overall)

7. Carlos Watkins / Clemson / 6'3", 309 (#183 overall)

8. Jarron Jones / Notre Dame / 6'5", 315
(#217 overall)
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpta5yzk4ngflndnjmtmzywu0njjkyjljzdy3mzfinwfl-e1447176823984.jpeg

9. Josh Augusta / Missouri / 6'4", 365 (#256 overall)

10. Treyvon Hester / Toledo / 6'2", 300 (UDFA)

11. Ryan Glasgow / Michigan / 6'3", 302 (UDFA)

12. Tanzel Smart / Tulane / 6'1", 296 (UDFA)

13. Deangelo Brown / Louisville / 6'0", 312 (UDFA)

14. Josh Tupou / Colorado / 6'3", 362 (UDFA)

15. Pat O'Connor / E. Michigan / 6'4", 275 (UDFA)

16. Demond Tucker / Iowa St. / 6'0", 294 (UDFA)

17. Ralph Green / Indiana / 6'3", 317 (UDFA)

18. Nik D'Avanzo / New Mexico / 6'3", 292 (UDFA)

19. Jay Ellison / Georgia South. / 6'1" 310 (UDFA)

20. Joey Ivie / Florida / 6'3", 300 (UDFA)

21. Darius Hamilton / Rutgers / 6'2", 278 (UDFA)

22. Danny O'Brien / Tennessee / 6'2", 295 (UDFA)

23. Adam Butler / Vanderbilt / 6'4", 300 (UDFA)

24. Issac Gross / Ole Miss / 6'1", 265 (UDFA)

25. Steve Tu'ikolovatu / USC / 6'1", 331 (UDFA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ellis from Ga Southern caught my eye a few times this season. Real stout at the POA with surprising movement skills. Would be good value as a developmental 6th/7th/UDFA. Ivie as well.

I didn't realize Slimm had Augusta so high on the list. This might be the first time I sampled this thread.

If anyone at this position could be a later round value, I'd pick Josh Augusta. I mentioned him in some thread a couple of weeks ago. Talented player who helped me win some wagers with key plays late in blowout wins when he was a newcomer. Then he got steadily heavier and it impacted his game. He's listed at 335 in this thread but as a senior it looked considerably higher than that and Augusta was sluggish. He really screwed up his rating and probably his draft status. Now he's seldom mentioned.

If he's at the combine I'll be interested to see what his weight and conditioning will be.

I didn't realize Slimm had Augusta so high on the list. This might be the first time I sampled this thread.

If anyone at this position could be a later round value, I'd pick Josh Augusta. I mentioned him in some thread a couple of weeks ago. Talented player who helped me win some wagers with key plays late in blowout wins when he was a newcomer. Then he got steadily heavier and it impacted his game. He's listed at 335 in this thread but as a senior it looked considerably higher than that and Augusta was sluggish. He really screwed up his rating and probably his draft status. Now he's seldom mentioned.

If he's at the combine I'll be interested to see what his weight and conditioning will be.
Augusta was listed at the East-West Shrine Game at 6'5" 375 lbs.
http://www.shrinegame.com/en/Teams/WestRoster

John Augusta weighed in a 6036 & 365 lbs with ~33-inch arms, just over 9-inch hands, and about a 6'6" wing span.

The nose tackle who showed up to Shrine practice and the game itself that you're actually going to want to pay attention to is Josh Tupou of Colorado. Watching the offensive line try and run short yardage against him, even double teams, was actually humorous. Tupou showed up 6025 & 362 lbs with 33.5" arms and closer than not to 10-inch hands.

If I were Miami, I wouldn't necessarily be looking for either type of player. But if I were looking for this type of player, I would be looking at Josh Tupou. His hand use is better, and he's stronger. He's not just big. In fact he holds the weight well. Tupou is "hold your tractor" strong. What Augusta repeatedly tries to get away with is short-arming the blocker, getting his shoulders into the blocker, and just trying to plow through with his leg drive. That tells me his upper body might not actually be all that strong. People up in Colorado know what an important role Tupou played, even if he wasn't an every down player. I think he might be the more agile and functionally balanced player when it comes to COD, between he and Augusta, as well.

Just pick out NT #58 from videos like these and you'll see the difference between he and a John Augusta, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Z_p_iszhM

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like we need a player that can take on doubles with ease as the 3rd rotational big. Phillips and Suh are not the type of players I want to be taking doubles all day which totally negates what they do well

Anyone have any thoughts on Glen Antoine from Idaho?

Back
Top Bottom