Slimm's 2017 Offensive Line (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Offensive Line (Seniors)

Jon Toth is pretty good as a center. I like his mentality, his hands, and especially his frame. That's probably what separates him from other guys. He's got a big, long-armed, powerful frame. I liked the way he matched up with pro players like Jarrad Davis, Alex Anzelone and Reuben Foster at the next level. I liked how he matched up with Jonathan Allen. Florida's defensive tackles were breathing down his neck off the snap all game long, handled it really well. He's got some good instincts.

Tyler Orlosky is good. Seems to fit well in a zone scheme. Has the requisite power and anchor to play the position, and is pretty polished besides. But I'm not sure if I'd trust him to go between guard and center. I think Elflein, Pocic and Toth are the guys to trust more that way.

Relevant to Ethan Pocic.

Prior to this year, he had hip surgery and it wasn't for injury, it was for a hereditary condition in his hip. They cleaned up loose cartilage and then shaved the bone to make more room. Given the situation with Pouncey, I think Miami shies away from that.

I'd like to see Elflien on our offensive line next year based on his versatility. We are seeing what our run game looks like without Pouncey and we can't rely on him as a starter. I'd like to see Albert around just one more year so our like could be Albert, Tunsil, Pouncey/Elflien/Steen, Elflien/Steen, and James.

If we do go defense in the first round is Dan Feeney someone that could drop to the late forties/early fifties? Or is he someone that will likely be gone by our second round pick?

Forrest Lamp thoroughly dominated Jaylon Ferguson. It wasn't one of those things where the play calling just didn't give Ferguson a chance, or they didn't match up on each other enough, nor was it something where the QB just got the ball out too fast for Ferguson to do anything. This was snap for snap, matchup for matchup, Ferguson going 0-for-All against Lamp, who looked like a 1st round pick. The whole game was chalk full of above-and-beyond execution by Lamp. Every block had a little something extra to it that helps you win ball games.

I'm glad you brought him up, because he's a kid who I've been really impressed with for a long time. I have a Round 3 grade on him, and that'll go up if he tests as well as he plays.

He sticks out like a sore thumb on Virginia's offensive line because of his hustle, attitude, and nastiness.

He plays until the echo of the whistle every snap. Plays the game right on the edge...he goes as far as you can possibly go without getting a flag. It's perfection. I love it. Always hustling and looking for somebody to hit. He plays with an aggressiveness and nastiness that's not very common. I think this is one of those guys that you can kick inside and not have to worry about that guard spot for a decade. I just haven't seen many like him to be honest. He's been a pillar of strength and durability on the Cavs offensive line since he was a true freshman.

The Pittsburgh game is ideal in terms of illustrating what I'm talking about. Everybody should watch the Pitt/UVA game and just watch #72. They'll get it pretty quick, it won't take long.

This is the kid people need to go watch and get familiar with. Eric Smith.

Never hear anything about him. Ever. But ol' Slimm really likes him.

I'll always make a bee-line to a player knowing you've taken a shine to him, whether I end up agreeing or not. Year after year it becomes increasingly apparent that it is exceptionally rare for a person to be able to spot talent on the field and get his evaluation pretty close without being gifted a context via other peoples' evaluations or some other obvious markers. Lots of people say they can evaluate talent, but they can't do that and they don't want to admit it.

As for Eric Smith, based on his build, his base, playing style, and anchor, I probably wouldn't want to move the guy inside to guard. He's got the length to play tackle so I would keep him there. He doesn't feel like a powerful player, but hell there were times in Vernon Carey's career where he didn't feel like a overtly powerful player, even though he was known as one.

He seems like a good, low cost alternative to feeling forced to pay a mint to re-up your former 1st round pick right tackle.

I forget which game it was I thought I watched Dorian Johnson and he didn't look very good to me. Maybe I'm confusing him with Dion Dawkins, who I know I don't really like much.

Anyway I don't know what I was seeing before, but I'm watching his Va Tech game and he looks superb. Not the biggest guy but explosive.

I'm also going to have to take a closer look at Pitt's center Alex Officer. He is sized liked a monster, for a center. If he's any good he could be one to watch.

I forget which game it was I thought I watched Dorian Johnson and he didn't look very good to me. Maybe I'm confusing him with Dion Dawkins, who I know I don't really like much. Anyway I don't know what I was seeing before, but I'm watching his Va Tech game and he looks superb. Not the biggest guy but explosive.I'm also going to have to take a closer look at Pitt's center Alex Officer. He is sized liked a monster, for a center. If he's any good he could be one to watch.
Dorian Johnson is very good. Plays with a great base in pass pro, looks great pulling and moving to 2nd level, and he routinely mauls DT's and DE's to seal running lanes. His accuracy when he gets to the 2nd level is hit or miss, and he can lose his balance, but that was the biggest negative I saw, and I don't see it as an athletic limitation. 1st/2nd RD OG.

Dion Dawkins disappointed me a little. He plays high and top-heavy for me to like his switch to OG. Looks like a RT to me. Probably a 3rd/4th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dorian Johnson reminds me a lot of Chris Chester, who has a lot of skins on the wall over his 11 year career (143 starts, 169 appearances). That's probably not the sexiest comparison people will want to hear but I think it's a fairly accurate one.

Speaking of underrated offensive linemen, I submit Virginia Tech RT Jonathan McLaughlin.

I watched him live in Shrine practice and he caught my eye as perhaps the BEST offensive lineman on the East squad. And possibly the both squads since all the OLs kind of sucked. Even Avery Gennessy kind of sucked. Will Holden had his moments, but McLaughlin was better, and Holden struggled during the game. Victor Salako had his moments too. But not quite as good as McLaughlin.

Actually the only guy that was consistently good other than McLaughlin was Zach Johnson of North Dakota State. And what's funny is that neither he nor Jonathan McLaughlin actually played in the game itself. I know Johnson took a tough injury but he should be healthy by the time camp rolls around. And I am absolutely interested in him as a guard. More on that later.

For now it's Jonathan McLaughlin.

Here's what is interesting about the guy to me. He only weighed in at 293 lbs. And he was lanky at 6041 with 34" arms and a 6'10" wingspan. But on tape...this doesn't give up ground. The anchor is really good.

I watch him in a lot of different situations. You have situations as a tackle where getting backed up at least a little bit is an assumption. If you lose the hand battle and a guy has you gripped at the collar pretty good, if you're trying to block a dude at an oblique angle, if a bigger player comes screaming in at you at a running start where you've been backing up in a vertical set, etc.

He's not impervious. You'll see him give up a bit of ground in those situations that are extremely difficult. But not much. Not as much as he should. Not enough to be beaten. And then in situations where he's not at a disadvantage, forget about it. He's a forward player.

In this way he reminds me of Joe Thuney. I used to talk about this with Joe Thuney a lot. You look at the size and the frame and you say OK, this guy has got to have some problems with anchor. But you look and you look and you look, and you'll be damned if you can find anything. They bow up, and just stop giving up ground.

I think the key here is the way both of these players hold themselves in terms of the way their weight hangs, their perfect pad level, center of gravity. That's part of what stood out for me about a Jonathan McLaughlin in Shrine practice and it's something I learned to look for at these practices immediately when I attended in 2010 and found that Rodger Saffold looked far and away the best offensive lineman attending. It can be hard to recognize just on broadcast tape that center of gravity, pad level, the angle of his back and the way he carries himself. It becomes more obvious in a practice setting when you're at ground level with the guys.

And for all Jonathan McLaughlin's unusual anchor ability for his weight class, the guy is really quite mobile, and has long arms and very, very active hands. He doesn't always do it right, not a perfect technician with his hand placement, etc. But his balance, agility, mobility are all very good. He has to learn to sustain his blocks a little better and keep his feet moving, reacting better to his opponent's leverage.

Like Joe Thuney, I'd like to get a look at this guy on the interior of the offensive line. But with his long arms and wingspan, the NFL may keep him at right tackle and may even make him an eventual swing tackle. In some ways, the guy he actually reminds me of is a little bit smaller version of Ja'Wuan James. Which makes it further unsurprising that I like him so much, because I was a fan of James for years in college before he came out.

[video=youtube_share;4bQrVuigtNM]https://youtu.be/4bQrVuigtNM[/video]
[video=youtube_share;V-cka6r38Vc]https://youtu.be/V-cka6r38Vc[/video]

The kid I'm struck by is the left tackle #69 Yosuah Nijman. He's one of my top 5 underclassman OT's for 2018.

The kid I'm struck by is the left tackle #69 Yosuah Nijman. He's one of my top 5 underclassman OT's for 2018.

I was actually going to bring this up and the reason is because the natural question I was getting elsewhere about Jonathan McLaughlin is if he's so good, and he does have a history of playing left tackle his first two seasons at Virginia Tech, why wasn't he moved back to play the more important left tackle position in 2016.

To that I say...watch the guy that they do have at left tackle. He's pretty good. Monstrous frame and good balance, pad level.

It's no shame that McLaughlin continued to play right tackle as a senior.

One guy I think really belongs in here is North Dakota State OG Zack Johnson.

I was generally unhappy with the quality of the OLs at Shrine practice and there were really only two, maybe three guys that finished the process with an overall positive impression with me. I mentioned one of them in Jonathan McLaughlin.

The other was Zackary Johnson who checked in at over 6'4" and a whopping 346 lbs. But he carries that weight incredibly well. He was the one guy I just never saw get beaten in pit drills or team or whatever. He was huge and strong and he moved well.

When I watch him on tape, first off it's a shame that he didn't actually face off with Jaleel Johnson more in the Iowa game, but he made it look unfair for his opponents a lot. And that includes the guys at Iowa. That includes the 6'3" & 315 lbs Jay-Tee Tiuli of Eastern Washington who was 1st Team All Big Sky and will be drafted in 2018. That includes his teammate Matthew Sommers who is no slouch and may get a cup of coffee in an NFL training camp, or the two standout DTs at South Dakota State Kellen Sourek and Cole Langer.

When Zack punches a guy, the defensive lineman feels it. He moves. When Zack lays into a guy, the defensive lineman moves. That's something I look for. When you're talking about a 346 lbs "fat" guy, it's a must. You have to see that first and foremost because that's the player he's trying to be. I'm just saying, it's there. The anchor he showed at Shrine practice was ludicrous during practice sessions where nobody was dropping anchor very well.

But what he spices in that is pretty surprising for that full 6'4" and 346 lbs frame is the movement. He pops out of his stance with urgency and quickness on the pull. She shows variable speed and control on the move, meaning when he pulls and gets over to the hole, he can idle a bit while identifying targets, and then make his move. Other big fat guys, when you get them on the hoof, they're stuck to a rail and hopefully a defender ends up on the tracks or else the big fat guy ends up not finding any work. Zack ends up doing the fat guy trot a fair amount, but only when the ball is out of play for him. When he's got work to do, he does NOT move like a top-heavy fat guy. That's a big difference between he and a Nico Siragusa for example. Zack moves with his full body, a flexible back.

Here he is against Iowa this year. Heading into this game, Iowa was ranked #13 in the FBS. Zackary Johnson led an offensive line effort that paved the way for 239 yards on the ground on 49 carries, as the FCS team upset and beat the #13 team in the country.

Pay no attention to LB Josey Jewell. That's for next year. Just look at big LG #66 of the Bisons.

[video=youtube_share;GLzI4wyqluU]https://youtu.be/GLzI4wyqluU[/video]

Note: Zackary Johnson tore his MCL during Shrine practices and did not participate in the game itself. He will not participate in the Combine either. He is aiming to be healthy for his Pro Day.

I've looked at Ben Braden before, as a tackle. He was...OK. You could see the potential. But he wasn't necessarily putting it all on the field.

I've just been focusing solely on the stretch of games (UCF, Colorado, Penn State, Wisconsin, Rutgers) where he moved inside to LG.

That was a revelation.

Would not surprise me in the slightest if he ends up the best guard from this draft. His potential as a guard is immense. Can't be overstated.

Back
Top Bottom