Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

I really want brad kaaya if we go QB
The only thing I don't like about Kaaya is that it seems he panics under pressure. He may be way better under Richt but that would be one thing is be wary of with him. Outside of that, I think he could be really good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Slimm, when you get a chance can you break down Luke Falk, I'm really interested to hear what you think..thanks

Slimm, when you get a chance can you break down Luke Falk, I'm really interested to hear what you think..thanks

He's a pretty typical Mike Leach Air-Raid college quarterback to be honest. Puts up big numbers, but there's really not much of substance there to salivate over in terms of next level talent in my opinion. There will be a significant adjustment period for him just to learn the fundamentals. Operates strictly from the shotgun and will have to learn how to take snaps from under center first and foremost. There's a list of fundamentals that he'll have to learn since he's never been asked to do any of it.

- Take snaps from under center

- Learn proper footwork; how to take a drop

- Ball handling (play action)

- Learn how to locate safeties and read coverages after turning his back to the defense

- Learn how to call a play in the huddle; Terminology

Aside from just the basics, we just don't know what type of leader he is. That's part of the problem with evaluating quarterbacks in this era of HUNH offenses. You can't lead as a field general if you never huddle as an offense.

Falk has going for him a nice, tall frame and a decent release. He sees the entire field fairly well also. But he's going to have to learn to recognize real route combinations, instead of just flooding zones out of 3x1 sets based off a 4-verts concept. Struggles throwing in the middle of the field because of what I just mentioned regarding flooded zones. It's much easier throwing towards the numbers. Sometimes doesn't feel pressure off the edge and will hold the football too long....get sacked and fumble. Ball security is an issue when he gets hit. Similar to Ryan Tannehill.

All in all I think he has a steep learning curve to play the position at the next level. Not an elite prospect at all in my view. Late rounder.

Thank you, I've been watching and following the draft since I returned from Berlin in '88. Back then you were lucky to find a few magazines with info on prospects.
I look forward to your senior/junior lists each year, and your willingness to answer questions on players.
Thanks again.

It's not as if I take issue with the ranking of Pat Mahomes here, as I can clearly understand the risks and the negative arguments.

But I've been tweeting about the guy since September 2014 and I'm not likely to stop any time soon because there's a quality about him that I really like. The same quality that had me onto Aaron Rodgers back in the day, the same quality that had me raving about Cam Newton, the same quality that probably should've had me onto a Dak Prescott but I got lazy and didn't really evaluate him closely enough to get beyond the superficial obstacles, and to be fair the same quality that steers me toward guys with flaws that should by all means be fatal like Rakeem Cato and Russell Wilson.

I just think the guy can play.

I know that's vague but some guys have that performance factor and coordination kind of inherent in everything they do, and many don't. It's not necessary. There are Hall of Famers at the position out there that don't really look like this, and there are players I like at the position that look nothing like this. But it's something I'm probably always going to be drawn toward and it's how I see a Patrick Mahomes.

I mean to go back to one of my admitted bruises from the past Rakeem Cato. We always knew the guy had some serious potentially fatal flaws he'd have to overcomes somehow. He was short, which is bad enough, but the guy also serially refused to gain weight which kind of says a couple of different things, none of which are good. His arm was on the weaker side for an NFL starter and he'd have had to overcome that (similar to Doughty). His fiery attitude was a sword that cuts both ways, that was always evident. His general communication level was among the worst I'd seen at the position and unfortunately it led to questions of general intelligence which I'm not sure ever got laid to rest. I kept thinking how if I were his agent I'd try and convince him to take elocution lessons. But that's only if he'd go to them, and it became apparent later in the process that was a big IF because the guy had this cloud of attitude around him where you couldn't read what he was thinking and then he'd just not show up to things. His own agent was in an article talking about how he's not sure if Rakeem hates him or likes him, he's that unreadable. That comes from Cato's background which was another sword that cut both ways. The strength he needed to overcome that background in Liberty City (which is like a war zone) having lost his only parent when he was 13 years old is why he's gotten to where he's gotten to, but it's also one of the reasons he hasn't been able to go further. It manages to produce more and more chaos in his life, even up in the CFL where he keeps going through things because friends back home are getting killed (which has happened twice and the turmoil bled into his professional life detrimentally both times), or he goes back home to a local school to workout and his backpack which has his passport in it gets stolen, etc.

His NFL dream is dead and it was dead on arrival, because of the fatal flaws. But man that guy could play. I mean he can just play.

I bring that up because Pat Mahomes doesn't have those flaws. He's 6'3". He has a good build. He's a professional athlete's son, been around professional athletes his whole life. His background is a source of strength without the drawbacks. He communicates very well. I have heard he has a 4.0 at Tech, or somewhere close to it. He plays with an even keel; I never see a lot of emotion. And he's got as gifted an arm as you'll find out there short of a Davis Webb. It's as much arm talent as Aaron Rodgers is working with and that's saying something.

Fatal flaws, he also has. You come from an Air Raid and there's always going to be skepticism, for good reason. Slimm just enumerated them about Luke Falk.

But ultimately I think the guy can just physically play the game in a way that Luke Falk can't, and I think those guys have a way of overcoming system related obstacles.

Slimm, I will defer to you, but do you also find that DeShaun Watson's feet are getting lazier this year?

Slimm, I will defer to you, but do you also find that DeShaun Watson's feet are getting lazier this year?

Possibly. I saw early in the season Watson trying to be too perfect. He was trying to steer throws and pulling the string a little bit. Probably just feeling the pressure of all the expectations.....Heisman Trophy---National Title---Top 10 pick.

He still tried to be too perfect and steer some throws against Louisville, but overall he went out and let it fly much better than he had been.

And yes Mahomes is a legitimate NFL prospect. Maybe even a potential star at the next level. Completely different level of prospect than Cato. Not to beat up on Ryan Tannehill, but in many ways Mahomes style of play and makeup as a quarterback is what I would consider the anti-Tannehill. In other words, my main concern with Mahomes would be he plays too wide open and often tries to do too much outside of the structure of the play. It's just the way he plays because he's so talented.

He plays football and utilizes his abilities as a playmaker. He's likely the type that you'll have to coach hard to keep him somewhat in check. As opposed to having to drive your spur in his ass constantly to try and get him to move.

I can't help but wonder about a Pat Mahomes understudying an elder, injury prone Tony Romo.

Do you mean somewhere that isn't Dallas? Because Prescott is probably keeping his job. There's no reason to go back to Romo. So Romo is probably cut in the off-season

Do you mean somewhere that isn't Dallas? Because Prescott is probably keeping his job. There's no reason to go back to Romo. So Romo is probably cut in the off-season

I mean in Miami. But anywhere else would work.

One problem I have with Mahomes is his mechanics are a mess. Just bad. He needs to be coached on fundamentals.

Back
Top Bottom