Slimms 2017 Safeties | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimms 2017 Safeties

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
Slimm's 2017 Safeties (Seniors)

1. Nate Gerry / Nebraska / 6'2", 218 (#61 overall)

2. Obi Melifonwu / UCONN / 6'4", 224 (#63 overall)

3. Justin Evans / Texas A&M / 6'0", 195 (#65 overall)

4. Chuck Clark / Virginia Tech / 6'0", 208 (#83 overall)

5. Eddie Jackson / Alabama / 6'0", 201 (#90 overall)

6. Delano Hill / Michigan / 6'1", 212 (#92 overall)

7. Kai Nacua / BYU / 6'1", 216 (#108 overall)

8. Orion Stewart / Baylor / 6'0", 198 (#110 overall)

9. Dante Barnett / Kansas St. / 6'1", 200 (#125 overall)

10. Xavier Woods / Louisiana Tech / 5'11", 197 (#137 overall)

11. Shalom Luani / Washington St. / 5'11", 202 (#145 overall)

12. Zach Edwards / Cincinnati / 6'1", 200
(#155 overall)
Zach%20Edwards.jpg

13. Dravious Wright / N.C. State / 5'10", 208 (#159 overall)

14. Marcus Maye / Florida / 6'0", 210 (#163 overall)

15. Leon McQuay / USC / 6'1", 192 (#169 overall)

16. Jonathan Ford / Auburn / 5'11", 205 (#170 overall)

17. Ahmad Thomas / Oklahoma / 6'0", 215 (#223 overall)

18. Fish Smithson / Kansas / 5'10", 197 (UDFA)

19. Jamal Carter / Miami / 6'1", 209 (UDFA)

20. Josh Harvey-Clemons / Louisville / 6'4", 217 (UDFA)

21. Nate Holley / Kent St. / 5'11", 210 (UDFA)

22. Jordan Sterns / Oklahoma St. / 5'11", 196 (UDFA)

23. Tony Annese / C. Michigan / 6'1", 215 (UDFA)

24. Weston Steelhammer / Air Force / 6'1", 189 (UDFA)

25. Ryan Janvion / Wake Forest / 5'11", 190 (UDFA)

26. Nate Andrews / Florida St. / 6'0", 214 (UDFA)

27. Tony Conner / Ole Miss / 6'0", 213 (UDFA)

28. Taylor Barton / Illinois / 6'1", 215 (UDFA)

29. Dylan Haines / Texas / 6'1", 200 (UDFA)

30. Randall Goforth / UCLA / 5'10", 185 (UDFA)

31. Reggie Daniels / Oregon / 6'1", 208 (UDFA)

32. Roman Buchanan / S. Alabama / 6'2", 210 (UDFA)

8220953.jpg

33. Denzel Johnson / TCU / 6'2", 210 (UDFA)

34. Tahaan Goodman / UCLA / 6'2", 202 (UDFA)

35. Kivon Coman / Mississippi State. / 6'2", 205 (UDFA)

36. Nico Marley / Tulane / 5'9", 203 (UDFA)

37. Quincy Mauger / Georgia / 6'0", 200 (UDFA)

38. Devin Centers / Utah St. / 5'9", 200 (UDFA)

39. Donald Payne / Stetson / 6'1", 217 (UDFA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Draft Scout currently has Gerry as a 6th RD prospect, which is insane. He's going to surprise a lot of people at the Combine. Agree that he, Jackson, and Evans are the top 3 Safeties.

Slimm, this is the first season with significant production, so I understand why Jadar Johnson isn't on this list, but he's a good looking S - team captain, forced a fumble, and was in on the INT. Any thoughts on him?

Looking at the rosters for the Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl, I count four Safeties(T. Thompson, O. Stewart, W. Steelhammer, and X. Woods) from the Shrine game that I would target at various points, but I'm only interested with three (N. Gerry, J. Evans, O. Melifonwu) from the Senior Bowl.

Overall, this Senior Bowl roster looks better than the last few (maybe the best since 2011), but the Safety picks were strange. Of course, Justin Simmons was a SB snub last year, so maybe they just struggle with this position.

Just finished up with Obi Melifonwu, and this is probably the ONLY ranking I've seen that hasn't overreacted to Obi's off-season hype. Not surprising, but kudos are still due. Great frame, and I read that he'll test well, but his instincts are somewhere between mediocre and poor, and he doesn't play with the physicality that his frame would suggest. If he does test well, I might look at moving him to CB for a team that runs a lot of cover 3 and/or cover 4. Pretty disappointed.

Also agree with Marcus Maye's ranking. Good/not-great Box safety, who really struggles in coverage.

Just finished up with Obi Melifonwu, and this is probably the ONLY ranking I've seen that hasn't overreacted to Obi's off-season hype. Not surprising, but kudos are still due. Great frame, and I read that he'll test well, but his instincts are somewhere between mediocre and poor, and he doesn't play with the physicality that his frame would suggest. If he does test well, I might look at moving him to CB for a team that runs a lot of cover 3 and/or cover 4. Pretty disappointed.

Also agree with Marcus Maye's ranking. Good/not-great Box safety, who really struggles in coverage.

Maye didn't do himself any favors staying for his senior year. I posted on here that i thought it was an odd decision and turned out to be right. Gets stuck in a crazy heavy safety class (he had to know ...) after breaking his arm and missing most of the season. Would've been a 2nd round pick last year I believe. He'll be lucky to see the 3rd now ... but he doesn't hold much value for us so it's irrelevant. We need a center fielder ... we already have 2 safeties with similar skill sets ... I'm with you on the safety from Utah ... good ball skills and range ... heady player that communicates well with his D ... looks like a natural fit at free in the NFL. Would love to get him in the 3rd or 4th ... he would only drop that far due to the depth of the class.

I think slimm's ratings are second to none but there aren't 8 better senior safeties out there ... counting the underclassmen that would make him like the 15th safety taken. That has about as much chance as happening as 15 safeties going before keaunu neal ... who slimm similarly ranked last year. Not at all a slight but I strongly disagree with the snubs.

After watching this safety class more in depth I will add that it sucks we signed isa because this class is absolutely loaded with in the box safeties. If you were thinking about going to more of a 4-2-5 this would be the year to do it. There will be multiple safeties taken late or udfa that will have a chance for snaps next season. There aren't close to as many true FS like what we're looking for ... so the Utah kid getting out of the 2nd might be wishful thinking ... depends on the combine and how stupid NFL execs are I suppose.

Maye didn't do himself any favors staying for his senior year. I posted on here that i thought it was an odd decision and turned out to be right. Gets stuck in a crazy heavy safety class (he had to know ...) after breaking his arm and missing most of the season. Would've been a 2nd round pick last year I believe. He'll be lucky to see the 3rd now ... but he doesn't hold much value for us so it's irrelevant. We need a center fielder ... we already have 2 safeties with similar skill sets ... I'm with you on the safety from Utah ... good ball skills and range ... heady player that communicates well with his D ... looks like a natural fit at free in the NFL. Would love to get him in the 3rd or 4th ... he would only drop that far due to the depth of the class.

I think slimm's ratings are second to none but there aren't 8 better senior safeties out there ... counting the underclassmen that would make him like the 15th safety taken. That has about as much chance as happening as 15 safeties going before keaunu neal ... who slimm similarly ranked last year. Not at all a slight but I strongly disagree with the snubs.

After watching this safety class more in depth I will add that it sucks we signed isa because this class is absolutely loaded with in the box safeties. If you were thinking about going to more of a 4-2-5 this would be the year to do it. There will be multiple safeties taken late or udfa that will have a chance for snaps next season. There aren't close to as many true FS like what we're looking for ... so the Utah kid getting out of the 2nd might be wishful thinking ... depends on the combine and how stupid NFL execs are I suppose.

There may or may not end up being 8 better safeties than Maye, but all of those I have ranked ahead of him here can flat out play. Ranging from elite center fielders with elite ball skills and ability to bait quarterbacks into throws they shouldn't make, to enforcers and CB/S hybrids who can line up at CB or safety and play multiple positions. I'd be interested in hearing exactly why he's better than the 8 ranked in front of him. I can tell you exactly why each one of 'em are ranked ahead of him.

Fact is, Maye is a quality player, all of these kids in the top 10 are. However, he may not even be the best safety in the Gators secondary in my estimation. I've been working on my 2018 prospects for a year and Marcell Harris and Duke Dawson both grade out evenly with Maye. Although they're both quite different from each other and have uniquely varying skillsets.
Dawson being more in the mold of the CB/Safety hybrid with the ability to play CB in nickel, which is becoming an increasingly valuable commodity. Both in college and the NFL. When Dawson gets his hands on a pick, he takes it to the house for 6 points.

Edit: As for Keanu Neal, I never really updated my rankings last year after around mid-season. Which is why Neal was so low in my underclassman safety rankings. It was based off his freshman and sophomore years. I never updated those rankings after he declared for the draft....much less following the completion of the season, bowl games, All-Star Games, and Combine.

The thing about my rankings is, when I come out with 'em in the spring a year ahead of the upcoming draft, I feel comfortable enough with 'em a year ahead of time that I could take those rankings into the draft at that moment and be prepared enough to have a successful draft. I've got at minimum 1 year of work already invested a year ahead of time.

Justin Evans is less polished than I hoped, but that closing burst is pretty nuts. He was pretty solid in coverage - other than misjudging a jump ball, losing his balance when he could have tackled a WR short of the EZ, and diving too early on an out route. Overall, though, very good. He looks like he has the tools to play man in the slot, where he'd provide plus physicality. He definitely has the speed and burst to thrive as a single-high Safety, but I don't think he has the anticipation/instincts to thrive there. There's enough to dislike about Evans, but only so many players can close like that.

There may or may not end up being 8 better safeties than Maye, but all of those I have ranked ahead of him here can flat out play. Ranging from elite center fielders with elite ball skills and ability to bait quarterbacks into throws they shouldn't make, to enforcers and CB/S hybrids who can line up at CB or safety and play multiple positions. I'd be interested in hearing exactly why he's better than the 8 ranked in front of him. I can tell you exactly why each one of 'em are ranked ahead of him.

Fact is, Maye is a quality player, all of these kids in the top 10 are. However, he may not even be the best safety in the Gators secondary in my estimation. I've been working on my 2018 prospects for a year and Marcell Harris and Duke Dawson both grade out evenly with Maye. Although they're both quite different from each other and have uniquely varying skillsets.
Dawson being more in the mold of the CB/Safety hybrid with the ability to play CB in nickel, which is becoming an increasingly valuable commodity. Both in college and the NFL. When Dawson gets his hands on a pick, he takes it to the house for 6 points.

Edit: As for Keanu Neal, I never really updated my rankings last year after around mid-season. Which is why Neal was so low in my underclassman safety rankings. It was based off his freshman and sophomore years. I never updated those rankings after he declared for the draft....much less following the completion of the season, bowl games, All-Star Games, and Combine.

The thing about my rankings is, when I come out with 'em in the spring a year ahead of the upcoming draft, I feel comfortable enough with 'em a year ahead of time that I could take those rankings into the draft at that moment and be prepared enough to have a successful draft. I've got at minimum 1 year of work already invested a year ahead of time.

I trust your evals more than just about anywhere out there. I just think you've snubbed some gators the last few years. Neal was way down there in a not great class - gotcha on not updating like you have this year.

As far as maye, he's solid while unspectacular. I think he should be viewed as primarily a SS in the NFL, so him playing free at Florida makes him a bit of a projection, which makes him a bit harder to evaluate. He's really good downhill, it's defending the 15+ yard routes where he gets into trouble. Ball skills, long speed, route recognition, angles, and timing often work against him in coverage. But it's not like he ever got exposed or anything at free at UF against elite competition, so I think that speaks to the athlete and competitor that he was so good at what probably won't end up being the position he's best suited for. I like him at strong because he's really good at getting off blocks and navigating through traffic ... delivering a blow when he gets to the ball carrier ... and he doesn't miss tackles. He looks much more comfortable coming downhill than he does chasing receivers deep.

The only 2 seniors that are safe bets to go ahead of him are Jackson and Evans. I like Gerry and Clark a bit more but after that it gets murky for me. Clemons is a total wild card who will get drafted purely on physical attributes. Louisville fans disdain for him and fields speak volumes imo. The obi kid from uconn doesn't have skills that translate to the NFL at all, again imo. So soft with minimal instincts. I need someone to explain that one because his name keeps coming up and I don't see it. I could get behind Stewart being ahead of him but I think maye is a safer bet than the safety from BYU, so I'd have maye above him as well. The pedigree and level of competition alone will get him drafted before a number of those guys.

And of course I'm gonna bring it up, but add anzalone to the snub list. I kept trying to bring him up. He might get hurt before ever making a play in the NFL, but he will get drafted and therefore belongs on the list. I probably wouldn't use a pick on him but someone will. That last injury was just too mindless for me to get past.

Harris had a really good last half of the year ... I like him more than maye at SS. He's another one my bro played with at DP ... rooting for him. I think they've already announced the Dawson to nickel role move ... smart. Gardner has a brighter future than all of em though if you ask me.

Rashawn Jenkins isnt even rated? You have Carter on here but I think Jenkins is higher rated

It's kind of crazy that I don't hear about Delano Hill.

Legitimately one of the best safeties in the draft once you get beyond the elite level of players.

Jabrill Peppers, love him or hate him, played essentially an assignment-less position in the passing game. He spied and delay blitzed the quarterback, or outright blitzed him off the snap. Sometimes he had a zone. Sometimes he had a man. His position was designed to let him destroy anything that went out to the strong side flat be it a screen, jet sweep, toss plays, etc. Then he's to keep the QB from breaking the pocket and finding receivers in an extended time scenario.

That put pressure on opposing offenses to just line up and beat Michigan's defensive players. You've got to block their DL and you've got to beat their defensive backs in coverage. But the flip side of that is it put the sombrero on those defenders a bit, and required that they be unbeatable. That means Jourdan Lewis and Channing Stribling had to be unshakeable in man coverage. Dymonte Thomas and Delano Hill had to be reliable tacklers and Hill in particular had to be really good in man coverage, which he was. Mike McCray had to make plays (which he did, very good player for 2018).

Getting back to Delano Hill, he pops up all over the place. He plays like a strong safety but runs like a free safety. He's about to turn some heads in Indy when he runs a lot faster than people are thinking (for whatever reason) that he'll run. He is built well at 6'1" and 207 lbs, free safety size but there are strong safeties that play at that size. But in addition to being fast, he's quick twitch, aggressive. Really assignment oriented player too, executes, and boy can he tackle reliably. I think that comes of his quick twitch, speed, aggressiveness.

Michigan had the guy line up all over, up in the box, back in two-man, deep center. He was on tight ends in man coverage a lot, had to try and use his size and strength to keep them from being comfortable. He was singled up on receivers.

Actually it's funny how these things work out but watching his tape reminds me A LOT of when I watched Isa Abdul-Quddus's tape from Detroit and New Orleans, back when Miami first signed him and everyone was trying to figure out if he's any good. It was clear that he was. They remind me of one another in their versatility. They're sized similarly, seem like they have similar speed. When you got IAQ out as a free safety in New Orleans he showed the ability to make plays on the football. When Detroit needed him to sub in as a strong safety opposite Grover Quin (career free safety), he did the job commendably well despite his not being naturally cut out for it from a pure size and strength standpoint.

That's Delano Hill in a nutshell. And I bet he's going to make a great special teams guy before he even gets on the field on defense, which will be sooner than folks think.

If you consider that Jabrill Peppers and Budda Baker may not be actual safety prospects, at least not at this moment, as Budda Baker will start off most likely as a slot corner and Peppers will start off as a dime linebacker, nickel quasi-corner/linebacker, etc...then I'd make the case that Delano Hill is the third best safety prospect I've seen for this draft.

I mean, Malik Hooker and Jamal Adams are special. I'll just grant that. Even though I know some folks in here have of late begun to pick at Jamal Adams, I think he is a great strong safety prospect straight up. And Malik Hooker might be the next Eric Weddle or even Ed Reed.

But after that, if I need a safety that I know is going to do his job, be fast, be aggressive, tackle people, cover guys like anyone out there, etc...that's Delano Hill.

There are other good guys. I'm not saying Deleno is head and shoulders better than the others. But I don't think there is anyone else head and shoulders better than him.

I like Orion Stewart a lot. He's quick, fast, and he's a playmaker. He can improve his tackling form, but he likes hitting.

I understand his relatively low rankings. This is (accurately, I think) higher on him than most lists. He's skinny, and he does his best work in the box. He reminds me of a thin Reshad Jones. He doesn't track the ball consistently, and he misses some tackles/takes the occasional bad angle. But, not too many Safeties, even in this loaded group, have Stewart's closing burst. Could probably play Nickel CB - moves really well. Hard to say where he'll go in this stacked class, but I think he'll be a good player. Should do well this week.

With a decent week, and if his arms measure almost 34" again, I'd expect some teams to view him as a CB.

1. Nate Gerry / Nebraska / 6'2", 218 (#61 overall)

2. Obi Melifonwu / UCONN / 6'4", 224 (#63 overall)

3. Justin Evans / Texas A&M / 6'0", 195 (#65 overall)

4. Chuck Clark / Virginia Tech / 6'0", 208 (#83 overall)

5. Eddie Jackson / Alabama / 6'0", 201 (#90 overall)

6. Delano Hill / Michigan / 6'1", 212 (#92 overall)

7. Kai Nacua / BYU / 6'1", 216 (#108 overall)

8. Orion Stewart / Baylor / 6'0", 198 (#110 overall)

9. Dante Barnett / Kansas St. / 6'1", 200 (#125 overall)

10. Xavier Woods / Louisiana Tech / 5'11", 197 (#137 overall)

11. Shalom Luani / Washington St. / 5'11", 202 (#145 overall)

12. Zach Edwards / Cincinnati / 6'1", 200
(#155 overall)
Zach%20Edwards.jpg

13. Dravious Wright / N.C. State / 5'10", 208 (#159 overall)

14. Marcus Maye / Florida / 6'0", 210 (#163 overall)

15. Leon McQuay / USC / 6'1", 192 (#169 overall)

16. Jonathan Ford / Auburn / 5'11", 205 (#170 overall)

17. Ahmad Thomas / Oklahoma / 6'0", 215 (#223 overall)

18. Fish Smithson / Kansas / 5'10", 197 (UDFA)

19. Jamal Carter / Miami / 6'1", 209 (UDFA)

20. Josh Harvey-Clemons / Louisville / 6'4", 217 (UDFA)

21. Nate Holley / Kent St. / 5'11", 210 (UDFA)

22. Jordan Sterns / Oklahoma St. / 5'11", 196 (UDFA)

23. Tony Annese / C. Michigan / 6'1", 215 (UDFA)

24. Weston Steelhammer / Air Force / 6'1", 189 (UDFA)

25. Ryan Janvion / Wake Forest / 5'11", 190 (UDFA)

26. Nate Andrews / Florida St. / 6'0", 214 (UDFA)

27. Tony Conner / Ole Miss / 6'0", 213 (UDFA)

28. Taylor Barton / Illinois / 6'1", 215 (UDFA)

29. Dylan Haines / Texas / 6'1", 200 (UDFA)

30. Randall Goforth / UCLA / 5'10", 185 (UDFA)

31. Reggie Daniels / Oregon / 6'1", 208 (UDFA)

32. Roman Buchanan / S. Alabama / 6'2", 210 (UDFA)

8220953.jpg

33. Denzel Johnson / TCU / 6'2", 210 (UDFA)

34. Tahaan Goodman / UCLA / 6'2", 202 (UDFA)

35. Kivon Coman / Mississippi State. / 6'2", 205 (UDFA)

36. Nico Marley / Tulane / 5'9", 203 (UDFA)

37. Quincy Mauger / Georgia / 6'0", 200 (UDFA)

38. Devin Centers / Utah St. / 5'9", 200 (UDFA)

39. Donald Payne / Stetson / 6'1", 217 (UDFA)

39 safeties, and no Tedric Thompson? Do you really dislike him that much or just forgot to include him?

Don't like him enough

Obviously, those 39 are not all draftable. So you think he shouldn't even get drafted? I saw your overall list elsewhere, including something like 10 or so UDFA safeties, and he was not even among them. I would estimate with all the UDFA players included on your rankings list there were over 300 altogether. Does that mean you think all of those players are better than Thompson?

Back
Top Bottom