Slimm's 2017 Wide Receivers (Seniors) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Wide Receivers (Seniors)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Corey Davis / W. Michigan / 6'3", 209 (#19 overall)

2. Zay Jones / E. Carolina / 6'2", 201 (#47 overall)

3. Josh Reynolds / Texas A&M / 6'3", 194 (#48 overall)

4. Taywan Taylor / W. Kentucky / 5'11", 203 (#49 overall)

5. Mack Hollins / N. Carolina / 6'4", 221 (#53 overall)

6. Bug Howard / N. Carolina / 6'4", 221 (#55 overall)

7. DeAngelo Yancey / Purdue / 6'1", 220 (#98 overall)

8. Cooper Kupp / E. Washington / 6'2", 194
(#102 overall)
cooper-kupp-eastern-washington-121613.jpg

9. Kenny Golladay / N. Illinois / 6'4, 218 (#103 overall)

10. Jehu Chesson / Michigan / 6'2", 204 (#113 overall)

11. Robert Davis / Georgia St. / 6'3", 219 (#114 overall)

12. Amara Darboh / Michigan / 6'2", 214 (#129 overall)

13. Quincey Adeboyejo / Ole Miss / 6'3", 197 (#131 overall)

14. Stacy Coley / Miami / 6'0", 195 (#144 overall)

15. Jalen Robinette / Air Force / 6'3", 220 (#151 overall)

16. Keon Hatcher / Arkansas / 6'1", 212 (#165 overall)

17. Travin Dural / LSU / 6'1", 202 (#172 overall)

18. Keevan Lucas / Tulsa / 5'9", 192 (#176 overall)

19. Fred Ross / Mississippi St. / 6'1", 213 (#177 overall)

20. Amba Etta-Tawo / Syracuse / 6'1", 208 (#193 overall)

21. Rodney Adams / S. Florida / 6'1", 189 (#197 overall)

22. Zach Pascal / Old Dominion / 6'2", 219 (#199 overall)

23. Ryan Switzer / N. Carolina / 5'8", 181 (#222 overall)

24. Gabe Marks / Washington St. / 5'11", 189 (#226 overall)

25. Trent Taylor / Louisiana Tech / 5'8", 181 (#227 overall)

26. Jamari Staples / Louisville / 6'3", 195 (#240 overall)

27. Michael Rector / Stanford / 6'0", 193 (#250 overall)

28. James Quick / Louisville / 6'0", 186 (UDFA)

29. Drew Morgan / Arkansas / 6'0", 190 (UDFA)

30. Robert Wheelwright / Wisconsin / 6'3", 202
(UDFA)
[video]https://www.clippituser.tv/c/embed_iframe/nmwly[/video] <------------

31. Dede Westbrook / Oklahoma / 6'0", 178 (UDFA)

32. Gehrig Deiter / Alabama / 6'2", 208 (UDFA)

33. Noel Thomas / UCONN / 6'0", 205 (UDFA)

34. Dontre Wilson / Ohio St. / 5'10", 187 (UDFA)

35. Alonzo Moore / Nebraska / 6'2", 195 (UDFA)

36. Brandon Reilly / Nebraska / 6'2", 200 (UDFA)

37. Sebastian Smith / Ohio / 6'3", 206 (UDFA)

38. Jordan Westerkamp / Nebraska / 5'11", 194 (UDFA)

39. Kermit Whitfield / Florida St. / 5'8", 185 (UDFA)

40. Hasaan Henderson / Nevada / 6'5", 220 (UDFA)

41. Kenneth Walker / UCLA / 5'10", 190 (UDFA)

42. Ajalen Holley / UL-Monroe / 5'10", 193 (UDFA)

43. Brisly Estime / Syracuse / 5'9", 183 (UDFA)

44. Thomas Sperbeck / Boise St. / 6'0", 180 (UDFA)

45. Dwayne Stanford / Oregon / 6'5", 205 (UDFA)

46. Ronnie Moore / Bowling Green / 5'9", 170 (UDFA)

47. Geno Lewis / Oklahoma / 6'1", 205 (UDFA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to seeing if Corey Davis can break the NCAA records. He's on his way. Unique situation that he's in position to do so as primarily a perimeter deep threat as opposed to the stereotypical slot receiver who catches 15 balls a game. He's tough to stay on top of, reminds me of Terrance Williams from Baylor, drafted by the Cowboys.

Really liked what I saw of Mack Hollins vs M. Alexander and X. Howard, but I was surprised to see that he had such low catch totals the last two years. He's a deep threat, and I get that, but he created separation with relative ease in the games that I watched. I guess it's a similar situation to Dural; except, I'd blame Dural's lack of catches on a run-heavy offense and a limited QB, rather than an offense that spreads the ball around a lot.

This group of Seniors definitely has a little more pop/upside/whatever than is typical. Dural, Williams, and Hollins all look like guys that would likely have entered the 2016 under different circumstances.

Really liked what I saw of Mack Hollins vs M. Alexander and X. Howard, but I was surprised to see that he had such low catch totals the last two years. He's a deep threat, and I get that, but he created separation with relative ease in the games that I watched. I guess it's a similar situation to Dural; except, I'd blame Dural's lack of catches on a run-heavy offense and a limited QB, rather than an offense that spreads the ball around a lot.

This group of Seniors definitely has a little more pop/upside/whatever than is typical. Dural, Williams, and Hollins all look like guys that would likely have entered the 2016 under different circumstances.

LSU's receivers really suffer from a production standpoint due to the style of offense and inadequacy at the quarterback position. Throw in a runningback that's going for the Heisman Trophy every year and it's easy to understand why their numbers aren't artificially inflated. I think it's also why many LSU skill players seem to transition extremely well at the next level. Their talent is found on the field through studying matchups.

Furthermore, most people don't realize how valuable spring games and practice sessions are in the talent evaluation process, for several reasons. Practice and spring games have always been a big part of my film study. There's no doubt I watch more college football across the country than anybody in the business. Certainly view more practice and spring sessions. I'm here to tell you it doesn't get any better than watching SEC practices. There's no better way to get a feel for how a kid competes.

Isaiah Ford's situation at Virginia Tech might be even worse in terms of offense/quarterback situation. Which is why his production is even more impressive. He makes it all happen on his own.

What's interesting about Mack Hollins is that even though his reception total is the lowest on his team between himself, Switzer, and Howard.... Hollins scores the most TD's. He basically scores a TD every 4 catches. A testament to his big play ability, aside from the eye catching 21 yards/reception for his career.

SLIMM,
off topic for this thread but I asked a question in one of your draft day Tunsil threads in the main forum. After Tunsil fell to our lap, I remember you saying "we will soon find out if this regime can draft or not". (not an exact quote) how did we draft from the 2nd round on? Thanks for your informative posts.

Don't know if you have thoughts on Jalen Robinette but I'd love to hear them, on behalf of a friend.

Don't know if you have thoughts on Jalen Robinette but I'd love to hear them, on behalf of a friend.

I've been watching him for 3 years. I feel like he has a chance to be drafted, which is why he fits in here for me at #33. He has good size and really catches the ball well.

However, Robinette is difficult to evaluate thoroughly because of the offense. I mean it's a triple option out of the flexbone where their first 3 options are pretty much run, run, and run. He's not getting many opportunities. Basically blocking for the majority of snaps he's on the field. No question he'll block. When he does get an opportunity, it's usually a big play downfield against single coverage. That's just the nature of the offense. The passing game is still based off the 4-verts concept so the outside receivers are really only running one route....they're not really stemming anything.

Robinette is the type of receiver that you need to see in an All-Star setting to see how he fares at route running to really get a feel for where he should be drafted. Because he's going to need time to develop some of these skills in my opinion. Damontae Kazee completely shut him out in the MWC Championship Game last year. Although again, opportunities are limited. If he's able to convince you that he loves football and is willing to make it a priority, I think he's worth investing the time.

Also need to see how fast he really is. If he's consistently anywhere below 4.6 with that size and those hands, he becomes much more interesting to NFL scouts in my opinion.

I've been watching him for 3 years. I feel like he has a chance to be drafted, which is why he fits in here for me at #33. He has good size and really catches the ball well.

However, Robinette is difficult to evaluate thoroughly because of the offense. I mean it's a triple option out of the flexbone where their first 3 options are pretty much run, run, and run. He's not getting many opportunities. Basically blocking for the majority of snaps he's on the field. No question he'll block. When he does get an opportunity, it's usually a big play downfield against single coverage. That's just the nature of the offense. The passing game is still based off the 4-verts concept so the outside receivers are really only running one route....they're not really stemming anything.

Robinette is the type of receiver that you need to see in an All-Star setting to see how he fares at route running to really get a feel for where he should be drafted. Because he's going to need time to develop some of these skills in my opinion. Damontae Kazee completely shut him out in the MWC Championship Game last year. Although again, opportunities are limited. If he's able to convince you that he loves football and is willing to make it a priority, I think he's worth investing the time.

Also need to see how fast he really is. If he's consistently anywhere below 4.6 with that size and those hands, he becomes much more interesting to NFL scouts in my opinion.

Sounds like trying to evaluate Demaryius Thomas back in the day.

This is fantastic. I gave my two cents to my friend but I promised him I would get a second opinion from someone I trust, so I forwarded him what you wrote.

My take was very similar. It's almost impossible to run a nuanced evaluation of the player based on the offense. What you have is a 6025 and 215 lbs player (my friend who has met him and stood next to him believes he's bigger than that but I need to see it measured to believe it) who is big and strong and makes the plays you expect a big and strong receiver to make in physically contested situations. Whether we're talking end zone fades like the touchdowns he caught against Nevada in 2014, or deep verticals like the 70 yard touchdown he had against Utah State in 2015, or being big and strong after the catch like the ridiculous touchdown he had against New Mexico in 2014, he is clearly capable of acting his size.

As a bonus, I think he adds a little bit more than that in two ways. For starters, in addition to looking like a big and strong receiver, he's capable of looking like an athlete too. The spin move off this double-reverse, just before tossing a touchdown pass against Fresno State caught my eye that way. Also if you go back to the Utah State touchdown you can kind of gauge his speed a bit against CB Bryant Hayes who ran a 4.52 at Utah State's pro day. Robinette was mostly jogging after the catch but there was a moment he sees Hayes and speeds up and it looked to my eyes like if he was running hard he may have outclassed Hayes. He thoroughly outclassed LB Tanner Vallejo, whom I know you're familiar with, in the speed department. It would've been a red flag if he couldn't outlcass Vallejo but he did.

The second way that Robinette adds a little extra to the formula is the fact that he's been such a successful thrower of the football on those trick plays, having completed 3 of 5 for 130 yards and 3 TDs in the last two seasons. He's not going to do that in the NFL but there's something positive there in terms of your ability to be an athlete and a good performer in multiple ways, and find ways to impact the team positively.

But that's pretty much as far as you can go in his evaluation because of the offense, which is a big disadvantage for him. And unlike a Bey-Bey Thomas he doesn't have the street cred in the form of level of competition, eye popping production or reputation for top level tangibles to get evaluators to forgive all that and take him high anyway. So what Robinette needs to do is make explicit shows of having an abnormal work ethic, abnormal attitude, abnormal drive. And then he really needs to go to an All Star game and do well. To that end, Phil Savage who runs the Senior Bowl loves finding diamonds in the rough like him but you're only going to catch Phil's eye coming from Air Force's triple option if you are a physical dynamo and desperately need the Senior Bowl to show what you couldn't at Air Force. If for example Robinette is running 4.46's in Air Force campus testings, that info needs to be in Phil Savage's and the scouts' hands, along with accurate height/weight info. That's normally the job of the strength coach but I doubt the lines of communication with an Air Force are the same as the lines of communication with an Alabama. If Robinette has an advocate of some sort, that's where the advocate could help.

My advice for Robinette was to start thinking of ways that he can go above and beyond. Lobby for run-after-catch opportunities with the Air Force coaches. Work with coaches on your own time running a route tree, really focus on surprising people that way when you get into an All Star game. I know at Oklahoma in the past Bob Stoops would allow his QBs to take snaps from under center during practice even though they were never going to do it during games, and it was purely on their behalf for their NFL prospects. Maybe see if the Air Force coaches will let him practice real routes during practice that way to improve his skill set. Start catching balls from jugs machines before and after practice, making it a thing that people talk about. In interviews you get to say, before every practice I caught 100 balls on the jugs machine. And when the coaches get interviewed about you, you want that to actually be true. Maybe do some of the Rutgers style "man hands" jugs work, working on your grip strength by catching 60 mph fast balls out of the jugs machine at point blank range.

Anything he can do to sell his work ethic and drive would be invaluable to a guy like him.

Admittedly still biased in favor of Jalen Robinette due to my having a personal relationship with him, but he had a hell of a day against Navy. Five catches for 163 yards and a TD, and the 75 yard TD was one of those clown car moments where you just have to say OK this guy is better than all of you.

CATCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=3962
REPLAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=4054

Hopefully when the Senior Bowl committee sees stuff like this, they won't think he's just getting open because of play-action off Navy's triple option attack. I mean this is just off-man and he beats the hell out of the corner with a double move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=1605

Whole game was like that, easily could've had a 300 yard day.

Is there any doubt that Ryan Switzer ends up playing for Bill Belichick? All that kid does is make plays. He should end up being a very solid slot WR as a pro.

https://youtu.be/vTUf3hMl8O0?t=378

Jalen Robinette still making FBS players look like FCS players. That one is Antonio Hull, not necessarily a high recruit or anything but he does run a 4.48 or 4.50 depending on the source and Robinette clearly outclasses him on the hoof in the run after catch. In addition to looming over him like a giant.

For what it's worth, the NFLPA Bowl and East-West Shrine Game have already communicated invitations to Jalen Robinette to participate. If he doesn't get a Senior Bowl invite, which at this point I'd say is 50/50 because the Senior Bowl staff were very receptive to our arguments, then Jalen will be participating in the Shrine Game. The Shrine people are high enough on him that they're promising help to get him into the Combine.

I'm biased. I'm realistic enough to know that. But I also think the kid is really good. I'll admit when I saw his 2015 film and some of the film before that, he looked a little like some guys that I've seen not make it at the next level. Compelling, but you could still imagine it not panning out. I compared him to a Derek Moye and said if it doesn't work out then that'll be the reason, that he couldn't go beyond that, couldn't incorporate more convincing physical strength or run after catch into his game, or if he looked allergic to sound route running principles. I told Jalen these things (along with my advice about making explicit shows of his work ethic and love for the game, working after practice on running a real route tree, JUGS, etc).

And I'll be damned if he's not showing a lot of that in 2016. His game is growing.

Run after catch was a big one for me. I needed to feel his physical strength more on film. This year, you're getting the feeling this is not just a "once in a while" thing. He's starting to incorporate this into every catch, even the ones where the defender gets him down. He's staying square on his feet with balance and making defenders work hard to get him down. And he's not just tall but actually built, heavy guy 220 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=313
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=3962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=4704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTUf3hMl8O0&feature=youtu.be&t=378
https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/787390948284170241
https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/788066487386898433

And then when it comes to route running, I think you're starting to see some finer points working their way into his game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=4740
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYLAZ5Bp2Q&feature=youtu.be&t=4455
https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/787414521921011712

Back
Top Bottom