Slimm's 2018 Defensive Tackles (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Defensive Tackles (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Taven Bryan / Florida / 6'5", 291 [#11 overall]

2. Da'Ron Payne / Alabama / 6'2", 311 [#20 overall]

3. Harrison Phillips / Stanford / 6'3", 307 [#21 overall]

4. Vita Vea / Washington / 6'4", 347 [#29 overall]

5. Rasheem Green / USC / 6'4", 275 [#40 overall]

6. Trenton Thompson / Georgia / 6'3", 288 [#114 overall]

7. Breeland Speaks / Ole Miss / 6'3", 283 [#162 overall]

8. R.J. McIntosh/ Miami / 6'4", 286 [#194 overall]

9. Kendrick Norton / Miami / 6'3", 314 [#196 overall]

10. Kahlil McKenzie / Tennessee / 6'3", 314 [#248 overall]

11. Tim Settle** / Virginia Tech / 6'3", 329 [#250 overall]

12. Du'Vonta Lampkin** / Oklahoma / 6'4", 335 [UDFA]

13. JoJo Wicker / Arizona St. / 6'2", 296 [UDFA]

I think Wilkins vs Thompson is a legitimate debate. I feel like Wilkins will prove to be the better prospect, and he should be much more disruptive, since he'll play inside, this year. With 9 PD in 2016, everything is setting up for Wilkins to break out in a big way.

Thompson had the benefit of playing inside more than Wilkins, but he's already arrived to some extent. His 2016 season is similar to Muhammad Wilkerson's 2009 in terms of production across the board. And, he appears to be in Wilkins' range as an athlete.

I'm seeing Wilkins ranked behind Vea and Thompson ranked behind a group of players on many sites. As usual, you're way out in front.

Becker is frustrating. He has the PR traits you look for in a DT: upfield burst, slipperiness/UOH but his sack production is nonexistent. All he had was a QBH against UF. He has a chance to ascend this year, also could be more explosive with another year away from the knee. I love this DT class.

Taven Bryan. Monster.

He's been a force this season. There were glimpses last year but man has he turned it on. Getting better every game too. He was splitting double teams multiple times against the aggies in no time flat. Spends damn near all game in the backfield. Lots of room for muscle on that frame too. His stock will continue to go up as the season goes on.

Him and Jefferson will probably declare but at least we'll get another season of Zuniga.

I know this is the homer in me but McIntosh should definitely be higher. I see him as a 4th rounder at the moment

I know this is the homer in me but McIntosh should definitely be higher. I see him as a 4th rounder at the moment

He might be a 4th rounder at some point. Although to me he's the least talented kid on Miami's defensive line.

He can play a little bit, just don't think as highly of him as I do the other players on Miami's DL, and there's so many of these other young DT's ranked here that I like a little more at this point. That's just the way it is. Watch all of em and you'll see.

You also have to understand some of these guys toward the bottom of the list can move up automatically if they come out this year because I don't expect any of the RS Sophomore here to declare, and many of the Juniors may not either.

In other words, if you cut this list down to just the underclassman that end up declaring for the draft, it looks quite different.

McIntosh is fairly good. I don't want to knock him too much but he's been overstated on Canes boards this season. I'm a huge believer in everything going back to the beginning, and in this case I think it will mean Chad Thomas superior to R.J. McIntosh in the long run, even if right now the consensus and draft position might be reversed. Obviously one is a defensive tackle and the other a defensive end.

Norton is the perfect complementary type for McIntosh alongside. A space eater like Norton allows McIntosh to use the same one or two moves to penetrate the backfield time and again. But once he makes that penetration he's too high and not a special athlete. He makes plays based on effort. That's great but if you stuck a Taven Bryan or Tim Settle in there in place of McIntosh the gap in raw ability would be startling.

I've followed Settle for a long time because that's the type who intrigue me, an extremely highly rated high schooler who doesn't display it immediately in college, for whatever reason. Too bad Settle wasn't in the draft last year because it would have been immense value. He's like a football version of Charles Barkley, with the baby face and tons of baby fat but oozing in raw ability. How many defensive tackles do you see fielding punts? The Hokies have goofed around with Settle fielding punts in practice. He doesn't make a fool of himself.

I'm not sure he'll turn pro this year. There have been academic issues that resulted in a redshirt season and in general he's still immature and might think he needs another year in college. But this season he dedicated himself to conditioning enough that he's no longer so sloppy around the midsection. The flash plays show in every game and this is the type of defensive tackle a passing league now prefers. Most likely he would be a liability against the run early in his pro career. Not as refined or dependable as Solomon Thomas last year but could be an even better athlete.

Too bad the Dolphins don't have a need at defensive tackle this year. I think it could be filled quite nicely, no matter what type of guy you were looking for.

Tim Settle didn't help himself with that bowl performance. What a disgrace. It reminded me of Marcus Dupree showing up to the Fiesta Bowl as a freshman after spending the holidays chowing down on his mom's cooking and gaining 30 pounds.

Settle looked more like 360 in that game, compared to his listed weight of 335. Massive thighs and ugly weird shaped midsection. It was like last season's blubber all over again. Or a cry out to the NFL...I'm simply not mature or ready enough, leave me alone.

You could still see the burst off the line even at that weight. But his head was down and he seldom found the ball or did anything meaningful.

What a difference between Solomon Thomas' bowl effort last season and what Settle did this year. That's what I was thinking throughout the game. He might not be someone you can depend on, no matter the raw ability level.

Also, RJ McIntosh had a very weak Orange Bowl effort tonight against Wisconsin. Basically invisible. Chad Thomas helped himself again at defensive end. At one point I thought he might be a fourth round steal but now I don't think he'll ever drop that far.

Tim Settle of Virginia Tech declared. Highly rated recruit but played only two seasons, following a redshirt.

Immensely talented interior disruptor but seems immature and has trouble keeping his weight in check.

I didn't really expect my top RS sophomores; Jones, Settle, or Carlos Davis to enter this particular draft. Although Settle is actually a better player than he was last year. He was dominant in a few ACC games this season.

He was on the field much, much more this year. Went from playing around 25% of the defensive snaps last season to around 80% this season.

As you mentioned, keeping that weight under control along with conditioning are the two biggest keys for him at the next level in my estimation.

Back
Top Bottom