Slimm's 2018 Linebackers (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Linebackers (Underclassman)

I've seen Cam Smith rated as a potential 1st round pick, not a 3rd. That seems quite low.

Here's a nice read on Smith if anyone is interested: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/hometown-report/article164278602.html

Let me put it this way then, this time a year ago you saw Raekwon McMillan and Zach Cunningham rated as 1st round picks. Most likely top 15-20 overall even.

McMillan came off the board in the 2nd round and 54th overall. I had him graded #29 overall. Cunningham was never a 1st round pick in my opinion, I don't care where the hype machine had him going. I had him with #106 grade overall and he came off at #57 overall.

If a linebacker doesn't run 4.59 or better, they're most likely not going in the 1st round. Cameron Smith can't and won't run better than 4.59. If anybody sees 4.5 speed watching Cameron Smith, then we're watching two different players.

I think he'll most likely split the difference and come off the board in the 2nd round, probably around where McMillan came off the board...and I believe it's a fair slot considering how I have him graded vs. the hype machine.

But make no mistake, like I said, you're not looking at Luke Kuechly or Rueben Foster athletically. He's not in that category.

^^ Well, we'll see. Not saying I know, cause I don't. But regardless what round he goes, I think he's gonna be a pretty good player in the league.

@TedSlimmJr I would like to know what you think of Roquan Smith I am a Dawgs fan so I have a lot of bias but he looks the part physically and mentally.

He's really come on this year. To be honest I felt like Natrez Patrick was a better prospect before the season. But Patrick has a lot of issues he needs to clean up off the football field first.

Smith has a little bit of Rueben Foster in him. He moves sideline to sideline and covers ground a lot like Foster did in this defensive philosophy of Smart's. Not as big and not quite as explosive as Foster on contact, but they have more similarities than differences.

I think he's in the same boat as a kid like Jerome Baker as far as how they fit, we'll just have to see exactly how they test out physically.

Smith's play is the biggest reason why UGA's defense has shown to be legitimately championship caliber this season, and why Georgia is sitting where they are at #3 in the country.

He's really come on this year. To be honest I felt like Natrez Patrick was a better prospect before the season. But Patrick has a lot of issues he needs to clean up off the football field first.

Smith has a little bit of Rueben Foster in him. He moves sideline to sideline and covers ground a lot like Foster did in this defensive philosophy of Smart's. Not as big and not quite as explosive as Foster on contact, but they have more similarities than differences.

I think he's in the same boat as a kid like Jerome Baker as far as how they fit, we'll just have to see exactly how they test out physically.

Smith's play is the biggest reason why UGA's defense has shown to be legitimately championship caliber this season, and why Georgia is sitting where they are at #3 in the country.

Yea I was in the same boat as you, Natrez was the one from last seasons play I thought was going to lead this LB corps but Raquon has really taken over and is showing phenomenal instincts/diagnosing of plays. I was thinking he is someone we could get in the 2nd round if he doesn't move up the board to much. I think at MLB calling the plays and getting the D set could really elevate our LB corp next year.

You were right, Slimm, Jefferson is killing it outside. If he tests close to expectations, he should be a lock to go top 15, with top 10 a legit possibility.

This Wisconsin- OSU game will be fun to watch the LBs mentioned above - may decide the ball game.

I'm looking at Leighton Vander Esch now.

There's a lot to like here.

I like his height, but it comes with a caveat. He's built like Kiko Alonso. He's tall, but not necessarily big framed. He doesn't have a great big wing span. It's not the same as a K.J. Wright who is tall but also lengthy, big long arms.

What Leighton does is play with really proper bend, leverage, strength, with really good hands. Very attractive on such a big guy.

He plays the run well. But on initial viewing I'm not sure he's challenged there much by having to cover two gaps. I used to watch Tyler Gray in this same system two years ago, back when I thought he was a standout UDFA signing for the Dolphins. Same dimensions, also played the run really well. Get right down to it, Tyler also ran pretty well for such a big guy, running in the low-4.7's. But he couldn't cut it even as a Sam in the pros.

Here's the $64,000 question, though. How agile is Leighton Vander Esch?

This is just one play but it is the best example of something I see a lot:

When he gets that momentum going one way, even at quarter speed, and he's got to stick that foot in the ground and go, there's no whip crack there. He takes half a beat longer than other guys, which is typical of a big tall guy with longer legs. It's something you keep seeing over and over, front to back, back to front, side to side...that long pause before he can get the ball rolling again.

That's not a deal-breaker. He can make up for that in other ways. With a Dont'a Hightower for example, he makes up for that with a combination of being purely fast on the hoof (4.62) and being a heck of a pass rusher, and so the Patriots were always able to find a way to keep him on the field. Kiko Alonso has better agility, but makes up for his lack of speed with FLASHES (very inconsistent) of brilliance anticipating routes and passing lanes.

Is Leighton Vander Esch fast on the hoof?

Is he a great pass rusher?

Does he anticipate throwing lanes with the psychic anticipation of a Luke Kuechly or Zach Thomas?

These are the questions you've got to ask as you start building his case to be a first or second day linebacker in a league where linebackers are going the way of fullbacks.

These are good questions, CK, and I'll give you my takes with some help from this Tyrell Crosby video. At the 1:55 mark of this video, I think you get a good taste of Vander Esch's speed. After getting through untouched on middle blitz, he tracks down a WR screen. The rumor is that he'll run in the 4.6's and jump around 37", and he looks like that kind of player to me. For 2017, Vander Esch had 3 INT's (his INT against Fresno St. was a clincher) and 4 PD's, so he is adept at jumping in passing lanes and making plays on the ball, and I think he's also similar to guys like Thomas and Kuechly with regard to his ability to diagnose a play quickly, take the right angle, and beat the OL to the spot - great example at the 0:13 second mark, where he gets inside Crosby and is too strong for Crosby to wash inside - stops the drive for Oregon. Similar situation at 4:28, but this time Vander Esch goes right through the OL for another TFL on 3rd and 1.

At the 0:31 mark, you get a good idea of his quickness, as 55 can't even get a hand on him before he shoots into the backfield for a TFL. 2:22 is another good example of him combining quickness and instincts to beat blockers and make a tackle for a short gain.

At 1:16, he gets out into the flat and makes a TFL that turns into a FF when he gets his hat on the ball. And, while he's not someone who you'll line up as a pass rusher in passing situations, he is an excellent blitzer, with good reaction and body control. At 4:00, he evades the cut block with relative ease and closes in a hurry for the sack. Not a great effort by the RB, but it's still a good play for Vander Esch.

So, I think he's fast, takes on OL very well, and he gives you something as a blitzer (4 sacks on the season). But, I think his high-end instincts and put him in position to make impact plays against the run and pass and cash in on that speed and physicality. That's where he separates himself from guys I'd consider more in the 2nd or 3rd RD - and even some that deserve 1st RD consideration. The Combine will be important for him, but I expect him to do well, and if he does, I think he has what you want between the ears.

Quick background, he only played 8-8 football in high school, and he came to Boise as a walk-on. He credits his strength to his work as a river guide in Idaho.

Hey ck. Or Slimm Have you checked out Frank Ginda from San Jose state led all lbs in tackles with 173 just declared for the draft

Lots of love being thrown in Tremaine Edmunds direction and I get the impression that he is moving up the Draft boards. 2 questions - (a) How much versatility does he have in being able to play multiple LB roles, if needed?
(b) Slimm rated him highly as #3 underclassman LB back some months ago, how does he compare to the LB seniors? Slimm have you revised your Edmunds rating since your original ranking? I think that he could be a serious consideration for the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom