8. Jeremiah Briscoe / Sam Houston St. / 6'3", 220 [UDFA]

9. Luke Falk / Washington St. / 6'4", 215 [UDFA]

10. Richard Lagow / Indiana / 6'5", 240 [UDFA]

11. Dalton Sturm / UTSA / 6'1", 205 [UDFA]

12. Austin Allen / Arkansas / 6'0", 209 [UDFA]

Athlete:

1. Quinton Flowers / S. Florida / 5'10", 210 [UDFA]

Last edited by a moderator:
When I watched Memphis a little later on in the draft process I kept thinking to myself how the hell do they do this, find these huge, big-armed, good looking NFL prospect quarterbacks that can run? Like how do they steal these guys away from bigger programs?

And I don't know what Quinton Flowers is going to be, I've always been skeptical of the man as a QB so I never handed him anything by virtue of my season tickets, but I have never seen a QB this elusive before aside from maybe Mike Vick and that's actually close.

When I watched Memphis a little later on in the draft process I kept thinking to myself how the hell do they do this, find these huge, big-armed, good looking NFL prospect quarterbacks that can run? Like how do they steal these guys away from bigger programs?

And I don't know what Quinton Flowers is going to be, I've always been skeptical of the man as a QB so I never handed him anything by virtue of my season tickets, but I have never seen a QB this elusive before aside from maybe Mike Vick and that's actually close.

Memphis didn't steal Riley Ferguson. He was at Tennessee competing with Justin Worley, Josh Dobbs, and Nathan Peterman for the starting job. Broke his leg and had to sit out before he saw the writing on the wall and decided to transfer. Some of these kids want to play. He eventually would've beaten out all those other quarterbacks in my opinion.

I like Woodside. Shorter and much lighter than you want, but he knows how to look off DB's, and his accuracy/ball placement is what you want. He's also aggressive, willing to squeeze the ball through tight windows or throw open covered receivers. I also like the control over the offense and the play that he displays. Arm looks good enough/not great. If he can add good weight, I think he's in the conversation with Mayfield and McSorley (doubt he declares?), as QB's who lack prototypical physical traits but offer extra in other key areas. Has to add that weight, though.

I know I'm commenting all at once, so I don't expect you to reply to all instantly..

I don't know what to do with Rudolph. He has some arm talent and makes good decisions within the offense, but it's all vertical, curl/comeback, or screens. Sure his INT # is low, he never throws any inside breaking routes. I really struggled with him. See him as an early day 3 guy at this point. Thoughts?

I know I'm commenting all at once, so I don't expect you to reply to all instantly..

I don't know what to do with Rudolph. He has some arm talent and makes good decisions within the offense, but it's all vertical, curl/comeback, or screens. Sure his INT # is low, he never throws any inside breaking routes. I really struggled with him. See him as an early day 3 guy at this point. Thoughts?

If he's a day 3 quarterback that means he'll be drafted in the top 150 picks. That's the nature of the NFL.

I see him as a Day 2 quarterback that will be drafted even earlier than that.

If he's a day 3 quarterback that means he'll be drafted in the top 150 picks. That's the nature of the NFL.

I see him as a Day 2 quarterback that will be drafted even earlier than that.

I guess my question is how do you evaluate his processing when it's all so simple?

I guess my question is how do you evaluate his processing when it's all so simple?

I think you have to weigh it vs. what the other Senior quarterbacks are doing. They're all doing the same thing....some to even more gimmicky degree, but doing it with less of a prototype build and less physical tools.

The only Senior quarterback executing pro style concepts every week is Austin Allen.

I think you have to weigh it vs. what the other Senior quarterbacks are doing. They're all doing the same thing....some to even more gimmicky degree, but doing it with less of a prototype build and less physical tools.

The only Senior quarterback executing pro style concepts every week is Austin Allen.

Yeah I'm probably too low on Rudolph. I thought about a 3rd round grade, oh well can always bump in fall. Did you like his deep ball?

Best in the business if you ask me. One of the main reasons he's sitting at the top here.

Barring any ref flags, Rudolph looks like a guy with a good shot at developing into a starter, who can win with a high-end supporting group. He's a big guy, with adequate movement, who has the arm to put the ball where he wants. I agree that he has an excellent deep ball. He's not dynamic, but he shows some ability to make plays outside the play. Day 2 sounds right to me.

I think there are legit reasons to question whether Austin Allen has the physical talent he'd need at the next level, arm talent and otherwise. There are lots of things to like about him, but it's tough to imagine that package of talent being a top level guy in the NFL.

I think Baker Mayfield, a-hole that he is (or so I've heard), and even having the disadvantages in the offensive background that he does relative to an Austin Allen, the talent is better.

I think there are legit reasons to question whether Austin Allen has the physical talent he'd need at the next level, arm talent and otherwise. There are lots of things to like about him, but it's tough to imagine that package of talent being a top level guy in the NFL.

I think Baker Mayfield, a-hole that he is (or so I've heard), and even having the disadvantages in the offensive background that he does relative to an Austin Allen, the talent is better.

What I find interesting is how many times I've heard that Baker Mayfield doesn't have the physical tools to play at the next level. I've heard it since he was a freshman in 2013 at Texas Tech. I couldn't disagree more. They're either not watching the kid play, or it's just a stigma that followed him to Oklahoma simply because he was a TT quarterback. However, Mayfield certainly has significant off field issues that are concerning. He's got a little bit of that Chad Kelly in him. He'll also have to overcome bit of a lack of size, as will Austin Allen....but it is possible for both of 'em.

Allen and Mayfield are very similar in terms of the caliber of their arms and the throws they can make. Mayfield is a tad more athletic from the waist down. Which I believe is offset somewhat by a lot of the more pro style fundamentals Allen executes in Dan Enos' offense. The thing I like so much about Allen is his poise and toughness in the pocket. Willingness to stand in there and deliver strikes in a collapsing pocket with trash all around him. His ability to quickly get his head around and locate the safeties after turning his back to the defense. He's the most pressured quarterback in college football, and it doesn't phase him at all. He excels under pressure in situations where most tend to crumble, or leave the pocket too early and bail on their progression. Kid took a beating against Alabama, got his ass kicked and never gave up.

I think he's similar to a Cody Kessler type prospect, who I had a similar grade on at this point. Floor I'd say is somewhere around Aaron Murray....which is never a starter in the NFL. Allen certainly doesn't project as a top level quarterback at the next level. Neither does Mayfield for that matter. More of a backup/spot starter type. But I like both a little better than Luke Falk obviously.

Allen can split the safeties with 50 yard strikes after turning his back to the defense...
Allen1_gnrn2k.gif

If you can make those type throws and throws like this consistently down in the redzone, you have a chance in my estimation.
Allen2_fq0uyf.gif

From what I have seen of Baker Mayfield, I am just not inclined to criticize his overall talent level the way that you've alluded to others doing.

When I watch Austin Allen, there are times when I get the impression that there are things he really just can't do with the football, especially under pressure and with any kind of off leverage. When I watch Mayfield, it's not just that he has better legs, it's that there are more places where he can go with the football due to his arm.

I think Mayfield throws with more zip, Allen more touch. There's good and bad to that because sometimes you get the feeling Allen is throwing the football while Mayfield is slinging the football, but Mayfield's accuracy on these zippier throws is pretty good so I'm not sure it's an area of critique that I'm going to obsess over.

Fact of the matter is there have been probably 14 hall of fame caliber quarterbacks to come out of the draft since Dan Marino's infamous class about 33 years ago. Every time one of those quarterbacks comes along it's a "bolt of lightning from God" as Pat Riley would call it. If you're only getting about one of those guys every 2+ years then it follows that we're not looking at the upcoming class and figuring that there are three or five of them in it. You're right, it's a little hard to imagine either Mayfield or Allen being the next of an exclusive group.

But I could imagine Josh Allen being that, and though I've got work to do on Sam Darnold, there's a lot there as well. Perhaps that's overly fatalistic, but it's the reality.

Crazy Mayfield stat:

In 2016, he completed 60% of his passes or better in every game but one - Week 3 loss to Ohio St (53%).

The only thing holding me back from loving Mayfield is hand size. If he hits at leat 9", I'm in. Character is the other thing, and early indicators are discouraging, but I haven't looked enough to have a solid opinion there.

Back
Top Bottom