Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Sam Darnold** / USC / 6'3", 221 [#4 overall]

2. Josh Rosen / UCLA / 6'4", 226 [#5 overall]

3. Josh Allen / Wyoming / 6'5", 237 [#6 overall]

4. Tanner Lee / Nebraska / 6'4", 218 [#173 overall]

5. Chase Litton / Marshall / 6'5", 232 [#183 overall]

Athlete:

1. Lamar Jackson / Louisville / 6'2", 216 [#79 overall]

I've been watching Chase Litton since he was a junior in high school here in Tampa. I knew one day he was going to rate as an NFL prospect. Still has a lot of maturing to do. I'd like to see him put it together this year.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Obviously I'm a huge Josh Allen fan though. I don't think any prospect in the 2018 draft will end up going above him, when all is said and done.

I've been watching Chase Litton since he was a junior in high school here in Tampa. I knew one day he was going to rate as an NFL prospect. Still has a lot of maturing to do. I'd like to see him put it together this year.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Obviously I'm a huge Josh Allen fan though. I don't think any prospect in the 2018 draft will end up going above him, when all is said and done.

I'll say this, if I were to go back a decade or so there's only been 3 quarterbacks that I literally would've bet everything I owned they were going to be franchise caliber quarterbacks at the next level when they were coming out of college. Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, and Andrew Luck.

I'd make that same bet here with both Sam Darnold and Josh Allen. This is a Phillip Rivers/ Eli Manning type situation here. Except both have Andrew Luck's athleticism. Rarest of rare deals here.

George Whitfield compared Josh Allen to like if Ferrari made an SUV, said his skill set is "mythical".

I agree. It's pretty insane how many boxes he checks in terms of background, demeanor, leadership, stature, arm strength, spin, accuracy at distance, feet, balance, delivery, improvisation, throw selection, experience with pro fundamentals, strength.

I was a big fan of Patrick Mahomes because he checked a lot of boxes, but it was pretty clear he didn't check the boxes for experience with pro fundamentals, or mechanical consistency. I thought it would be kind of nit-picky to think he needs to check those boxes for you to take him; no quarterback since Luck has been "perfect" in this way, in terms of risk reduction.

We are basically one (fairly significant) step-up in Josh Allen's decision making from seeing the next Andrew Luck quarterback prospect. Some would argue even better than Luck based on the skill set being even more "mythical" as George Whitfield put it.

If I see Allen go to the Jets or the Bills I'll puke and break stuff. He's the type of prospect you either want on your team or far away in another division. I honestly don't see this team picking in the top 5 next year.

If the Jets are smart- they aren't- they should throw the season for the top pick, trade Richardson for a future 2nd Rder, and develop their young roster. But as stated- they are the Jets

If the Jets are smart- they aren't- they should throw the season for the top pick, trade Richardson for a future 2nd Rder, and develop their young roster. But as stated- they are the Jets

I would consider losing to the Jets just to make sure that didn't happen.

Jets and Bills will win their usual 7 to 8 games.

Browns will again be fighting for the worst pick and again they're gonna skip the top qbs..

Donald and Allen are phenomenal talents though, I see future NFL star, but I did with Winston and he hasn't quite set the world on fire.

I get nervous about the Jets and Bills since both teams essentially punted the QB issue one year further down the road.

Bills owner Terry Pegula fired the entire front office for doing so, didn't like Doug Whaley trading out of the #10 pick so that the Chiefs, not the Bills, could take Patrick Mahomes. Think the next GM and front office will have that in mind when it comes to evaluating Sam Darnold and Josh Allen?

Let's hope they end up with Josh Rosen. They're gonna end up with a QB one way or another.

The Jets conspicuously did nothing and I'm not sure it's because they have faith in Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg. That smelled like a decision by the GM that acknowledges they need a QB but this year is not the year to do it, and you don't make that decision unless you're implying that next year is the year you want to do this.

The only good news from our standpoint is that the Cardinals, 49ers, Browns, and Jaguars were also forced to punt on the QB question. And you could kind of imagine that if things bounce a little funny for the Broncos, Redskins, Chargers, Saints, or Vikings, maybe they could find themselves in the market as well.

My big hope is that two of those teams end up #1 and #2 overall and they just freeze the Bills and Jets out of the Allen/Darnold market because they themselves want Allen/Darnold. Or if it's a team that doesn't want a QB, then I hope there are higher bidders than the Jets and Bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty incredible to think there could easily be 11 teams interested in the Josh Allen/Sam Darnold sweepstakes next year.

If you get that #1 pick and you don't need a QB, you should be able to demand a king's ransom in trade. Year by year we're seeing that it's getting more and more acceptable for teams to trade a bunch of stuff away for the right to take QB's that consensus aren't even that excited about. It's becoming "normal". So imagine if you get into another situation where a guy is considered the next Andrew Luck...and it's ambiguous whether or not you actually need him because of the presence of another passer that most regard as franchise caliber.

Let's say for arguments sake, What would you do if you were the Dolphins GM and you landed the #1 pick in 2018? For me, it be hard to pass up talents like those 2 QBs. I'd take the QB and try to trade Tannehill.

All I can say is if the Phins don't have a chance at Allen, hopefully he doesn't declare until 2019. I do not want to see him on either the Jets or the Bills.

Let's say for arguments sake, What would you do if you were the Dolphins GM and you landed the #1 pick in 2018? For me, it be hard to pass up talents like those 2 QBs. I'd take the QB and try to trade Tannehill.

Just about any scenario where we end up with the #1 overall pick probably would involve a heavily diminished evaluation of Ryan Tannehill's status as the franchise quarterback.

I suppose we could end up trading a player before the deadline to a team for their 1st round pick, and then seeing that team go down the toilet the rest of the year. In that lottery-like scenario, perhaps Miami is very clear in their stance that they're not considering a QB. In that scenario would say they should just offer up their pick to the highest bidder.

Otherwise, I say there are three ways we could get to #1 overall and two of them are bad for Tannehill. His knee could blow up and he could miss the entire season, and we could suck mightily with Matt Moore and/or Brandon Doughty at the helm. That would not be good for Tannehill and you'd have to say that Miami could take a promising QB just to hedge their bet, if nothing else. If they end up with two worthwhile QBs they can always trade one later.

The second scenario involves Tannehill just sucking that much. If that happened I think that would be the end of his time here in Miami. It would be a repeat, except worse, of when the Dolphins hired Bill Lazor in 2014 and initially looked like they had found the right match for Tannehill as he played well during 2H2014, but then had a more challenging year in 2015 that got everyone fired. Tannehill similarly will have had a 2016 improvement arc through 2H2016 under the new offense, then another drop-off as opposing defenses begin to figure out his tendencies in the new offense and Ryan can't overcome them.

And honestly, part of me does worry about that scenario, particularly since they have just executed yet another off season where instead of focusing efforts on the ground game which was a big part of the 2H surge, they're once again robbing the core ground competency in order to have Tannehill lead an all-out aerial attack. History doesn't repeat, but sometimes it does rhyme.

The third scenario is a total defensive collapse. In that scenario, Tannehill would probably survive, especially since with a total defensive collapse tends to come an offensive surge. If you do a lot of research into really poor defenses that allow a lot of yards and points, they tend to be accompanied by stronger offenses that can also gain yards and score points, just not nearly enough.

Back
Top Bottom