Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TedSlimmJr, May 4, 2017.

1. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

I can definitely see him being a 1st round pick. But I couldn't see myself drafting him in the 1st round.

Anyone can be a 1st rounder if Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, E.J. Manuel, Manziel, Robert Griffin, and Tebow can. But it obviously doesn't mean they should be. All it takes is one team to like you enough.

We haven't seen how much Lamar Jackson has developed as a passer from last season yet, but I know he had a ways to go in my opinion to become a 1st rounder.

What I like about him is that he's such a ridiculous athlete. Just insane acceleration and quickness. I view him as an athlete capable of actually playing a different position and having a chance to be successful at it. But I'm not sure it would be at quarterback at the next level.

Like I said, need to see where he's at in terms of reading coverages and if his mechanics have improved since last year to gauge where he's at in his development.

2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Thanks Slimm.

I see Gase seeing him as a limitless prospect. His speed and running ability is rare.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

It would surprise me greatly to see Adam Gase draft Lamar Jackson.

Gase is a...traditionalist...at the quarterback position. He gets that from Mike Martz, who I would say is probably Gase's primary mentor when it comes to calling offense. I'd say his second biggest mentor was Josh McDaniels.

It's true that Adam Gase once helped Tim Tebow play decently well and even win a playoff game. But Gase never would've chosen Tebow.

Lamar Jackson can throw the ball, don't get me wrong. He's got some accuracy. But very little of what he does throwing into those big windows translates to what Adam Gase wants to run. Lamar would have to get an offense customized for him, and the concern I would personally have about doing that is the fact Lamar has the frame of a wide receiver. I don't think he can take the punishment. I didn't think Robert Griffin could, either.

Cam Newton was special because of how huge and strong he was, you had to figure an NFL coach with an open mind could actually customize an offense to his strengths, and Newton could run it without getting crushed like an empty Coke can, because he's just that big and strong.

Phinatic8u likes this.
  4. ckparrothead

I'll just mention Chase Litton real quick. I'm glad he's on Slimm's list.

As I've been saying since he was a high school junior playing at Wharton just down the road from me, he's an NFL talent. Tall, nice arm, good stroke, won the "Golden Gun" award at the Atlanta southeast regional Elite 11 competition or something like that. He has body movement skills, standout basketball player, etc. I believe he led his Team Tampa 7-on-7 team to an IMG National Championship title. I mean, pretty damn good.

But it became clear as he went through the recruiting process (and also got caught boosting stuff from peoples' trunks at a country club, despite what seems to be a pretty well-to-do background) that he had a lot of maturing he needed to do. Grades have been an issue, like I said he even got into legal trouble, he made enemies among recruiters, there was some sort of bad blood that ended up developing between he and the USF coaches and even some of his fellow recruits, etc.

He ended up at Marshall. His true freshman year started off magically, as he ended up taking the reins from Michael Birdsong (who had transferred from JMU specifically to be handed a starting job on an FCS team), and then had this ridiculous game against Norfolk State. But then the defenses got better, they started to catch onto his habits, he seemed mediocre the rest of the year albeit good for a true freshman which is what he was. He led his team to 10 wins and a bowl game. That's good.

And last year again he plays against the likes of a Morgan State, throws SIX touchdowns in that game (in only 16 attempts). He follows it up with this incredible first QUARTER against Akron where he goes 6 of 11 for 113 yards and 3 TDs. And he basically only played the first half against Morgan State, so at one point you were looking at a kid that had played 3 quarters of football and gone 19 of 27 for 422 yards, 9 TDs and 0 INTs.

The problem is it went STEEPLY down hill from there. He goes 212 of 344 for 2190 yards, 15 TDs, 9 INTs the rest of the way. That's like an 84 passer rating at a program that generally has very good passing, throwing to some NFL caliber players like Deon-Tay McManus and especially Michael Clark who is doing well on the Packers. Ryan Yurachek is an NFL prospect at tight end.

The image you had was of a kid that fell in love with his own magical ride and got lazy. His decision-making certainly seemed to fit that narrative. He kept trying to force the big play, didn't seem mentally prepared.

It came off like a typical sophomore slump, even though I didn't necessarily think he had the kind of freshman year that for example guys like Andrew Luck and Sam Darnold have had. But that 2015 was an impressive run as he came to camp basically the fourth string guy, then beat guys one by one until he became the backup to the planned starter Birdsong, and then when Birdsong took a minor injury, Litton took the job from him and never let go, rattled off 7 straight wins, beat UConn in the bowl game, finished 9-2, etc. So I guess 2016 could be viewed like a sophomore letdown year.

This year he's supposedly up to 230 lbs and from pictures, he kind of looks beefy like he really has put on the weight. Doc Holliday tends to be a straight shooter, he tends to be pretty sparing with his praise IMO and in fact some of the frustration with Litton in the past revolved around the fact you could kind of tell Holliday was so-so on Chase's total ethic and maturity level. It wasn't the way Holliday used to gush about Rakeem Cato. But this year Holliday has said that Litton's approach has been kind of night and day. Litton attended a Manning Camp as a counselor along with guys like Kenny Hill, Lamar Jackson, Sam Darnold, Tanner Lee, etc.

Will continue to watch and monitor. I'm not going to inflate his NFL prospects based on my having followed him for a while. He's got all the ingredients but it still hasn't turned into a cake.

5. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I think you take one of the quarterbacks. Tannehill is solid and still could move his game up a notch, but he is coming off a big injury and is viewed by many as maybe a tad above average.

I get this sneaky suspicion that Miami will take a quarterback pretty early in this draft. Most likely a developmental guy, but someone with upside who can challenge Tannehill and serve as a reliable backup.

6. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

Josh Allen didn't play well this past weekend, Iowa's defense stymied him the whole game.

I really want to see how Tanner Lee is going to play this season, he played well against Arkansas St. wouldn't mind picking him up in the 2nd or 3rd round if he declares.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Though he had a couple throws that should have been intercepted and a couple mental mistakes not letting the offense get set, Josh Rosen put UCLA on his back the last 19 minutes last night. Had only seen him a couple times and wasn't overly impressed but after last night I'm sold. What a comeback he led.

fishfanmiami and Sons Of Shula like this.
  8. mrbunglez

His game last night is definitely going to put him in the talks as the #1 pick in the draft. That comeback from 34 points down was definitely impressive on many levels.

9. Phinatic8u

Rosen is a beast.

Even Lamar Jackson had a great *** game throwing the ball.

10. ckparrothead

Ryan Finley. Wow.

11. Phinatic8u

Watching these guys week after week and none of them look that elite to me.

They all lack something that makes them just seem blah. Maybe it's me, I don't know but none of them are better than last years crop.

12. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I really hope the Jet's draft Josh Allen.

[​IMG]

Ouch

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  13. mrbunglez

Watching Nick Fitzgerald out of Miss. state, that kids got some wheels and he can actually throw the ball too. He's playing well against LSU tonight.

Josh Allen is another story.........he has no help from his offense.

Tanner Lee, someone who I had high hopes for, has played god awful today as well as the other 2 games he's played. Hopefully he can turn it around and not let this bad start screw with his head.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  14. TedSlimmJr

He has some work to do, but I wouldn't fall for snapshot stats like this as being indicative of Josh Allen's talent. No sir. It's indicative of the team around him when they face Power 5 programs.

This kid is supremely gifted physically. Not to mention he's one of only a few college QB's out there executing pro concepts. He's an elite pro prospect at the quarterback position.

Wyoming has no shot to even score a point each week unless it's all him. Teams know that and prepare accordingly. It's all on him.

A lot of 'em look good out there playing from the shotgun every snap, making simplistic MOF reads, getting the play call from the sidelines, no huddling where they don't have to call plays or lead in the huddle, and throwing RPO's off the option action in the backfield. Hell yeah they'll throw for 350, 4 TD's and 0 Int's every week as long as they don't see a defense.

Lamar Jackson has a habit of stinking up the joint from time to time when he plays somebody who actually has speed and talent on defense like LSU or Clemson. You don't get to run up 5 or 6 TD's on Syracuse or North Carolina in the NFL.

I'm here to tell anybody that'll listen that a kid like Lamar Jackson has MUCH further to go to be an NFL quarterback than Josh Allen does. Even further to go is a kid like Nick Fitzgerald.

These are great, GREAT college quarterbacks. But they're not great NFL quarterback prospects.

As for Tanner Lee, he's still throwing too many bad interceptions like he did at Tulane. Notice I said too many bad interceptions...not too many interceptions. He's still making throws downfield between defenders into windows that half the QB's starting in the NFL right now can't make. The great throws that translate to the next level are there. Problem is, so are the really bad ones. He just needs to eliminate the really bad ones and he'll be fine. Still not comfortable in the offense quite yet.

Interceptions thrown in college are one of the poorest indicators for how a QB translates to the NFL there is. Otherwise, Matt Ryan and Robert Griffin would have the other's NFL career. Interception don't mean anything without context...and a lot of it. I remember everybody trying to tell me how bad Matt Ryan sucked coming out of college...because he threw 19 interceptions. But you couldn't tell 'em nothing about Robert Griffin. He was going to be great...only threw 6 int's to 37 TD's on his way to the Heisman Trophy.

Just watched Sam Darnold throw a pick six....on a perfect throw that hit his receiver right in the hands. Context.

quasi and mrbunglez like this.
  15. Sons Of Shula

Agree about context. I saw that as well. The Allen snapshot was just there b/c it was available. Allen has just about everything you're looking for in a QB, mentally and physically, but his accuracy is poor and that issue shows up every game. Which means he'll still be drafted high by someone that thinks they can improve that aspect. I think we both know that you are either an accurate passer or you're not. Allen is not.

It's an old club in the NFL and many are fixated on their interpretation of what a QB prototype should look like instead of adapting and evolving offenses to fit the great strengths of certain talent. This goes for many of the concepts you are seemingly knocking Jackson for (and yes he has a ways to go) despite their ability to be successful in the NFL. Reid just ran a clinic on NE's defense featuring a few handfuls of collegiate concepts that people say that can't be done at the NFL level. As for another, numerous quality NFL QBs have used RPOs for years now.

Just how the molds for NFL defenders have evolved, the same can and needs to be done for NFL QBs as well. Too much QB talent is being wasted and too many resources have been spent on pretending the traditional QB prototype model is the only way to go. That's the only reason some believe that they're not great NFL quarterback prospects. And even worse, should be moved to WR or another positional change.

16. TedSlimmJr

I disagree that Allen isn't an accurate passer. He wouldn't throw so many interceptions if he wasn't accurate. He's an inconsistent passer, for several reasons...but he's not an inaccurate passer.

Lamar Jackson isn't an accurate passer. His throws are so far off many times that nobody can get to it.

I'll draft Lamar Jackson and try to make a weapon out of him as a receiver. I have no interest in him as a quarterback at the next level.

I'll take Josh Allen and leave Lamar Jackson for whoever wants him every time. That's all I'm saying.

17. Sons Of Shula

Fair enough. For the record I'm not sold on Jackson, but Allen is an actual turn off for me as I do believe he is an inaccurate passer.

Thanks for your time. I always appreciate your insight.

18. quasi

quasi Well-Known Member

So you think Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were better prospects than Darnold, Allen and Rosen are now?

19. ckparrothead

I watched Josh Allen's game against Iowa and I was pretty disappointed, I have to admit. The disappointment wasn't so much that he couldn't get things going when his team was clearly overwhelmed. The disappointment was that I felt like he let the dominance creep into his own game. It really only took one quarter for him to lose patience and stop operating the offense. Given how much they're ovewhelmed, it's understandable if that happens, but after one quarter of a close ball game? He needs better patience. There was also his mis-handling of the pocket and his starting to react to ghosts. Again, if you're being overwhelmed, this happens. But I can't like it.

It just felt like it didn't take much for him to fall into some of his worst habits from a year ago, and call me crazy I was actually hoping to see PROGRESS from 2016 to 2017. That's not necessarily what I've seen. Even against Gardner-Webb.

It's a long season and it's not close to done yet. Progress can be made. Cam Newton wasn't within sight of the #1 overall pick at this point of the 2010 season. I remember that vividly.

That said I have to tell you that as a Miami Dolphins fan I have mostly been excited as hell about the start to Josh Allen's season. There wasn't any way in hell that Miami was going to get a swipe at Allen unless this exact thing happened.

And the damage may already be done because he's already played Iowa and Oregon, and didn't have good results against either. He's not going to get a ton of credit as he plays teams like Hawaii, Texas State, San Jose State, etc. That snapshot statistics graphic will hold a lot of power in NFL circles, whether it should or should not.

So this guy is IN Miami's cross hairs. Adam Gase hates quarterbacks from the spread. Hates in strongest of terms. This guy Josh Allen executes pro concepts. Adam Gase also was quite obvious in how he held a candle for Jay Cutler, a gunslinger with a reputation for throwing the football game away whose decision-making Gase was charged with harnessing in Chicago, and again in Miami. He taught Cutler better ways to manage the NFL pocket, deal with pressure, and remain patient and efficient in decision-making. Do that with Josh Allen and you've got one hell of a quarterback.

Here's a look at a kid in a pro style system completing only 55 percent of his passes, throwing balls that are uncatchable, throwing a pair of interceptions and trying his damnedest to throw a few more, taking sacks left and right, looking overwhelmed in a bad loss.

I dunno, maybe a 6th round flier or something.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    mrbunglez likes this.
  20. mrbunglez

I do know Miami had scouts at that Oregon game, hopefully to watch Josh Allen. I still haven’t lost faith in the kid even with his bad play the start of the season. Hoping all those other teams that are going to have a top pick got turned off by his game and he falls right in Miami’s lap.

21. TedSlimmJr

Deshaun Watson threw 7 Int's in his first 5 games last season. I remember him getting trashed every week. Everybody wondering what was wrong with him.

DeShone Kizer got benched last year at Notre Dame.

Trubisky had 3 career starts to his name at this point last year.

I don't understand the thinking that none of these quarterbacks are better than last year's crop. Darnold, Rosen, and Allen are ALL better than last year's crop, specifically in terms of prospects.

There's no question that Josh Allen's draft stock has taken a hit through the first 3 weeks of the season in the eyes of NFL scouts...and deservedly so. But it's not going to matter for a kid like Allen. His stock is going to be right back up through the roof by the time the draft gets here.

He's still an elite prospect, and most of the NFL still needs a quarterback.

You have to keep in mind he's still only 3 games into his Junior season. He's barely not still a sophomore in other words.

Sam Darnold is still a sophomore, just draft eligible. These kids are still so undeveloped. However, their ceilings are immense. They display any level of skill that the NFL is looking for every single snap they take. Good play or bad play, It's all there.

People tend to overreact to how these kids play every week. They go from best to worst and vice versa every single week. You can't do that with quarterbacks at this stage of their development.

You either like a guy or you don't. It's a matter of making up your mind and sticking with it. A lot of folks can't do that, and some of 'em do this for a living.

mrbunglez likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

It's entirely possible that Josh Allen recovers his draft stock before the end. Lord knows I believe he SHOULD do exactly that.

But I can see this being a damage-done situation. Teams do need quarterbacks, but drafting one high in the 1st is attaching everyone's name to the guy as a bet. More so than other positions. I think there will be a lot of front office people too squidgy to attach their names to a guy with such bad results in the only games he's played against Power 5 teams.

In any scenario where Miami is looking at a quarterback high in 2018, it will be because a couple of things have happened. They will have decided that Jay Cutler is the best quarterback for the team in 2018. They will have re-signed him to probably a two year deal that pays him a competitive rate for a starter. And, they will have traded Ryan Tannehill to another team. Teams are in such need of quarterbacks right now that Tannehill's market should be a 1st rounder-plus. So Miami will probably be working with a natural 1st round pick, plus an extra 1st round pick that it would be all too natural to use on a player to groom behind Cutler for two years.

That is genuinely where I see this heading. It's not more likely than not, not by any means. All of this is so far out, it's still a mass of disparate spaghetti models. But the conditions are setting up well.

mrbunglez likes this.
  23. Phinatic8u

That would be a dream scenario..

Gase with Josh Allen would be fun, and it would still let us draft a top D player too..

Maybe even trade up for one and keeping the other 1st rounder..DERWIN JAMES MAY BE POSSIBLE LOL

24. TedSlimmJr

Rosen is so smooth. This kid is a generational talent from the pocket. You can chisel that in stone.

Him and Darnold both display that clutch gene that all the great ones have in high pressure, close game, come from behind situations.

Josh Allen has been getting killed for his subpar play and interceptions, but I'm telling you Rosen is a total of about 4 inches from having the same issues.

Yeah, he led UCLA back from the dead against Texas A&M, but he was so close to having at least 2, most likely 3 passes intercepted that turned out roses for UCLA. Decisions you don't really like to see. He had one bad pick six in the loss to Memphis that was pretty much as bad as Josh Allen's int vs. Iowa on the screen pass. Ultimately he was simply just out dueled by another hot quarterback in Riley Ferguson.

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and Tanner Lee have all been struggling with turning the ball over a little more than they should, but Rosen has been the luckiest so far in that regard where the others haven't.

I liked all 3 quarterbacks last year in Trubisky, Kizer, and Watson. However, i commented that I felt they were all so close that I never could really decide in which order I liked em until probably a month before the draft. Eventually settling on Trubisky, Kizer and Watson in that order.

I like the trio of Darnold, Rosen, and Allen even better. Although the more I evaluate them, the closer they get. I've been here before. There's a lot of football left to play for these kids.

The pro franchises that need quarterbacks should be grateful to have any one of 'em.

25. ckparrothead

Riley Ferguson really did have a day in that game.

Lots of inconsistency in this class, but also a lot of pro talent.

nick1 likes this.
  26. HeavenCent

HeavenCent Member

Feels like Rosen has looked the best so far this year. Everyone has underwhelmed to start, but still a lot of ball to play.

27. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

Great year to totally suck, #Top 3...

Allen, Darnold, Rosen all QB upgrades

28. Tannenbombs

Tannenbombs FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Idk about everyone else, but when I spring scout I only try and get a taste of each prospect and try and slot them in the proper range and who to watch for the fall. So it may seem like I've done a complete 180 but I only watched 2 games on Rosen last year. He's a franchise QB and I have him #2 after Darnold. In any other year,he would be the #1 pick. Slimm is right, he is special in the pocket. Feet, base, arm slot. Everything. His pocket fundamentals are extremely rare. Definitely agree with Slimm there.

ckparrothead likes this.
  29. ckparrothead

NFL folks are going to love Daniel Jones quite a bit when all is said and done, even if he doesn't have the greatest pure arm talent.

30. mrbunglez

This is a very deep class and good year to pick up a QB whether it be in the 1st round or in the middle rounds. Lots of starting potential from seniors to underclassman. Hoping for the Phins to pick one up in the draft.

nick1 likes this.
  31. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

My eye is on Ferguson and Stidham. Solid sleepers. Stidham has all the talent you could ask for. Needs to be coached up

32. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

Will keep an eye on him tomorrow when Duke goes up against my Canes.

33. mrbunglez

I’m still liking Josh Allen and Tanner Lee even though they’ve both played pretty badly so far. But I will check out Daniel Jones when he plays the Canes, could be a good pick up in the 2nd to 3rd round. There’s just so many to keep an eye on and Ferguson is another.

34. ckparrothead

I would say the chances are that a lot of these guys with the extra year of eligibility will stay in and polish themselves up. I don't think Clayton Thorson comes out. Would be surprised if Daniel Jones comes out. I think Tanner Lee and Jarrett Stidham could both stay. Ryan Finley and Chase Litton will both stay.

The guys that will come out will be Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen. There will be pressure on Allen to stay again, but he may not heed it. He damn near came out after 2016 which would have been insanely early.

Lamar Jackson will come out. Nick Fitzgerald may as well.

35. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

That kid is big, tough, and makes quick and generally good decisions under center. I know he struggled to take care of the football early last year, but he really came on strong at the end of last year, and has continued his solid play this season. Good eye. I gotta hand it to Cutcliffe. He always gets a lot out of his QBs.

36. Tannenbombs

Rosen is the best quarterback in the draft. Slimm rightfully updated these rankings. Still very high on Darnold. Rosen is just special

37. TedSlimmJr

I moved Rosen up because I believe he's more NFL ready right this minute. Darnold is still so young and early in his development.

You can stick Rosen in the NFL today and he'll run an offense, make the correct reads and execute top notch throws from the pocket.

Darnold is still an elite prospect, and he's going to be a franchise quarterback at the next level. I'm just not necessarily sure it's going to be this year. He's only a RS sophomore and I think people tend to forget that. He's making some wrong reads and trying to force throws that aren't there sometimes...meanwhile passing up open receivers underneath. He's trying to find out just how good his physical gifts really are. It's natural for kids like him to do it.

As I've been saying, these kids are still so early in their development. They're already great, but there's no telling how good they'll be if they stay until their Senior year.

Tannenbombs likes this.
  38. ckparrothead

There continues to be a lot of chatter about Sam Darnold staying in school. There's also quite a bit of pressure on him to leave early and pursue his NFL future, but I think I may actually be leaning toward him staying.

39. ckparrothead

If there is ONE thing that concerns me about Josh Allen (there's more than one thing, just saying), it's the stage.

I watched him after a press conference and he was so clearly jittery with the press. It was not my imagination, nor just a bad interpretation of his normal personality. I've seen enough of his practice field interviews to know the difference. When he's in front of a room full of press in that situation, the kid is almost painfully nervous.

If you look at this year, the one game I would point to and say, he did a bad job, that was the Iowa game...in front of 70,000 people.

Every other game he's played in front of about 20,000 people. Every other game, even if the results were bad, the performance wasn't necessarily bad.

Go back to one year ago, guess which game he played in front of 90,000 people, whereas the rest of his games were played in front of 30,000 people tops.

That's right, the Nebraska game. When he came apart and threw 5 interceptions.

This is a kid from FIREBAUGH, CALIFORNIA...as they keep saying in every game when they run a little sequence on the quarterback. In fact he ain't even from Firebaugh. He's from a farm like 15-20 minutes outside of Firebaugh.

It may take him a painfully long time to get him up to playing on a big stage.

Does that translate to him not being able to play in big moments? Anyone's guess, but he did botch the biggest moment of his career to date when he was trying to execute that comeback against BYU in the nationally televised bowl game, got into his final come-from-behind drive, and then threw a bad pick right at Kai Nacua.

40. Tannenbombs

When you keep in context that neither can buy a beer, you appreciate how good they really can be.

I still love Darnold. He's worthy of being the #1 pick in any other draft