Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Love Darnold/Allen. Hate Rosen/Browning.

I feel like Clayton Thorson is extremely underappreciated. I have him as #3 QB in the class at the moment. And where you have him ranked is the highest I've seen. What did you like and dislike about him?

Love Darnold/Allen. Hate Rosen/Browning.

I feel like Clayton Thorson is extremely underappreciated. I have him as #3 QB in the class at the moment. And where you have him ranked is the highest I've seen. What did you like and dislike about him?

I like the kid. His personality, leadership. Intelligent, hard working type of guy that knows what he needs to get better at and puts in the work to do it.

I like his size and the way the football comes out of his hand. Like the trajectory he puts on his passes. Like his decision making for a young quarterback.

Dont really like the offense and being in the shotgun constantly and the zone read action, but that's just the landscape of college football now. Right now he just needs more experience and to keep getting better. Has to stop losing to the FCS and MAC teams.

I don't know what to do with Rosen. Every one has been killing his background/intangibles if given the opportunity, and then there is the shoulder issue that was reportedly bothering him all season before shutting him down.

I did Texas A&M and BYU, and then looked at a few clips in 2015. He definitely threw with more velocity in 2015.

I think his accuracy is solid, but I struggled with his mental processing/decision making and overall poise. He seemed to make some poor decisions when extending.

I recognize the upside, but I don't see him anywhere near Darnold/Rosen. He's closer to Trubisky and Watson for me. Put a 3rd round grade on him, acknowledging that may rise in the fall.

Slimm/CK, what do you think of him?

I went back and looked at a little Josh Rosen. Still don't like him. Honestly, I'm not sure what people are seeing. 4th round for me pre-season

I watched Auburn's spring game and I'm more looking forward to seeing Stidham in 2017 than Rosen.

Darnold looks special. The wind-up is less than ideal, and he's not perfect at reading D's, but that's about where my criticism ends. For his age/experience, he processes information quickly, has a big arm, great frame, high-end instincts, and he plays with an understanding of what the team needs to win. He looks like the total package.

I'm not sold on Allen - not convinced he has it between the ears - but we'll see what he looks like in 2017.

But his arm strength is elite. Overused word but only way to describe it. Best arm strength in the last 5 years easily. Then you add in his AA and ability to improvise.

I have a top 10 grade on Allen but the only things stopping from putting a huge grade are his mental processing and touch. If he improves upon those he could challenge Darnold. Who I gave an enormous grade to

I don't know what to do with Rosen. Every one has been killing his background/intangibles if given the opportunity, and then there is the shoulder issue that was reportedly bothering him all season before shutting him down.

I did Texas A&M and BYU, and then looked at a few clips in 2015. He definitely threw with more velocity in 2015.

I think his accuracy is solid, but I struggled with his mental processing/decision making and overall poise. He seemed to make some poor decisions when extending.

I recognize the upside, but I don't see him anywhere near Darnold/Rosen. He's closer to Trubisky and Watson for me. Put a 3rd round grade on him, acknowledging that may rise in the fall.

Slimm/CK, what do you think of him?

Rosen is easy to like if you're a little old school like me, and already have an affinity for certain types of QB's geared more towards prototypical pocket passers.

He looks like the kind of quarterback you want to draft. Rosen is smooth, and you like his passing profile within the pocket. He has the ability to be a starting caliber quarterback at the next level. I thought he was a little over hyped as a freshman, and he requires certain improvements the same as all QB's coming out of college. However, the questions Rosen will need to answer pertain more to off field than on field.

I've obviously never met the kid or talked to him, but the main concerns about Rosen seem to revolve around leadership, desire, and how much he really loves football.

If you're not sold on those three aspects of his character and don't feel like he's coachable, the rest doesn't matter.

He's easy to like as I mentioned previously, especially if you're only looking at film. A lot of teams will fall for him. Although it ultimately should come down to how you feel about his character and gut feeling.

I learned many years ago how critical gut feeling is when it comes to selecting your quarterback. It may be the most important, yet most overlooked tool you have at your disposal.

NFL teams wonder why quarterbacks bust out at such a high rate, when the answer is clear. It's because they've made a habit of drafting them too damn early.

An inexplicable amount of quarterbacks get hyped up, labeled and drafted as 1st round picks. When they're simply not, and are forced to play before they're ready.

I've tried to get that point across for years. The demand for QB's overrides their better judgement and gut feeling.

Rosen is easy to like if you're a little old school like me, and already have an affinity for certain types of QB's geared more towards prototypical pocket passers.

He looks like the kind of quarterback you want to draft. Rosen is smooth, and you like his passing profile within the pocket. He has the ability to be a starting caliber quarterback at the next level. I thought he was a little over hyped as a freshman, and he requires certain improvements the same as all QB's coming out of college. However, the questions Rosen will need to answer pertain more to off field than on field.

I've obviously never met the kid or talked to him, but the main concerns about Rosen seem to revolve around leadership, desire, and how much he really loves football.

If you're not sold on those three aspects of his character and don't feel like he's coachable, the rest doesn't matter.

He's easy to like as I mentioned previously, especially if you're only looking at film. A lot of teams will fall for him. Although it ultimately should come down to how you feel about his character and gut feeling.

I learned many years ago how critical gut feeling is when it comes to selecting your quarterback. It may be the most important, yet most overlooked tool you have at your disposal.

NFL teams wonder why quarterbacks bust out at such a high rate, when the answer is clear. It's because they've made a habit of drafting them too damn early.

An inexplicable amount of quarterbacks get hyped up, labeled and drafted as 1st round picks. When they're simply not, and are forced to play before they're ready.

I've tried to get that point across for years. The demand for QB's overrides their better judgement and gut feeling.

I still wish Miami drafted Kuechly, which was your pick for them at #8 - if I remember right.

I still wish Miami drafted Kuechly, which was your pick for them at #8 - if I remember right.

Well that one was an easy decision for me personally, after evaluating all my information. I came away with the conclusion that Kuechly was more likely to be a great player. My gut wasn't sold on Ryan Tannehill being a great quarterback.

If I don't feel good about a kid's mechanics, mental processing, character, poise, and overall gut feeling at the quarterback position...I don't issue a 1st round grade. I have to believe that a guy has what it takes to be a franchise caliber quarterback, or I can't take him in the 1st round. Whether it's the 8th pick, 15th pick, or 30th pick. I'll instead select a player I feel can be a great player at another position in the 1st round.

What other reason could you justify using a 1st round pick on a QB if you're not sold he's franchise caliber? It makes no sense to me otherwise. You can get something other than franchise caliber at the QB position elsewhere. I don't come away sold on quarterbacks to that extent very often. Because they don't come around very often.

I'll say this though, where Tannehill has impressed me is with his resiliency. He's put in the work to become a much better player than he was.

What's interesting is that he began to make most of those improvements after the first quarter of the season last year....directly after I commented in this forum regarding how he needed to be more prepared to deal with pressure and to just play the game. Let his natural ability do some of the work instead of relying on every play to be executed exactly as it's drawn up.

Adam Gase is trying to get him to take that a step further now. He'll have to in order to ever have a truly great season. Tannehill's work ethic, dedication, toughness, and ability to remain so coachable are why he has a chance to be successful as an NFL quarterback.

I watched Auburn's spring game and I'm more looking forward to seeing Stidham in 2017 than Rosen.

I think you'll like Tanner Lee if you study him. He caught my eye a few years ago at Tulane.

Tremendous arm strength and throws with great velocity and touch to all areas of the field. All he needs is some quality coaching and mentoring to clean up some decision making and footwork issues.

I like him a lot as a bit of a sleeper/developmental type. He's been hidden away at Tulane throwing a fairly high number of interceptions early in his career.

He'll do big things this season at Nebraska against Big-10 competition every week.

That's really what it comes down to with Rosen for me. My gut tells me Darnold and Allen will be top 10 QB's. My gut also tells me Rosen will not for those reasons mentioned, and while talented I think a bit overrated in that department. I do agree that he has starting potential though.

I think you'll like Tanner Lee if you study him. He caught my eye a few years ago at Tulane.

Tremendous arm strength and throws with great velocity and touch to all areas of the field. All he needs is some quality coaching and mentoring to clean up some decision making and footwork issues.

I like him a lot as a bit of a sleeper/developmental type. He's been hidden away at Tulane throwing a fairly high number of interceptions early in his career.

He'll do big things this season at Nebraska against Big-10 competition every week.

Yeah I read somewhere that they think he is potential 1st rounder one day. I'll have to take a glance

Back
Top Bottom