Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2018 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Josh Allen didn't play well this past weekend, Iowa's defense stymied him the whole game.

I really want to see how Tanner Lee is going to play this season, he played well against Arkansas St. wouldn't mind picking him up in the 2nd or 3rd round if he declares.

Last edited:
Though he had a couple throws that should have been intercepted and a couple mental mistakes not letting the offense get set, Josh Rosen put UCLA on his back the last 19 minutes last night. Had only seen him a couple times and wasn't overly impressed but after last night I'm sold. What a comeback he led.

Though he had a couple throws that should have been intercepted and a couple mental mistakes not letting the offense get set, Josh Rosen put UCLA on his back the last 19 minutes last night. Had only seen him a couple times and wasn't overly impressed but after last night I'm sold. What a comeback he led.
His game last night is definitely going to put him in the talks as the #1 pick in the draft. That comeback from 34 points down was definitely impressive on many levels.

Watching these guys week after week and none of them look that elite to me.

They all lack something that makes them just seem blah. Maybe it's me, I don't know but none of them are better than last years crop.

I really hope the Jet's draft Josh Allen.

DJ5FqLHVoAABDbN.jpg

Ouch

Last edited:
Watching Nick Fitzgerald out of Miss. state, that kids got some wheels and he can actually throw the ball too. He's playing well against LSU tonight.

Josh Allen is another story.........he has no help from his offense.

Tanner Lee, someone who I had high hopes for, has played god awful today as well as the other 2 games he's played. Hopefully he can turn it around and not let this bad start screw with his head.

Last edited:
I really hope the Jet's draft Josh Allen.

DJ5FqLHVoAABDbN.jpg

Ouch

He has some work to do, but I wouldn't fall for snapshot stats like this as being indicative of Josh Allen's talent. No sir. It's indicative of the team around him when they face Power 5 programs.

This kid is supremely gifted physically. Not to mention he's one of only a few college QB's out there executing pro concepts. He's an elite pro prospect at the quarterback position.

Wyoming has no shot to even score a point each week unless it's all him. Teams know that and prepare accordingly. It's all on him.

A lot of 'em look good out there playing from the shotgun every snap, making simplistic MOF reads, getting the play call from the sidelines, no huddling where they don't have to call plays or lead in the huddle, and throwing RPO's off the option action in the backfield. Hell yeah they'll throw for 350, 4 TD's and 0 Int's every week as long as they don't see a defense.

Lamar Jackson has a habit of stinking up the joint from time to time when he plays somebody who actually has speed and talent on defense like LSU or Clemson. You don't get to run up 5 or 6 TD's on Syracuse or North Carolina in the NFL.

I'm here to tell anybody that'll listen that a kid like Lamar Jackson has MUCH further to go to be an NFL quarterback than Josh Allen does. Even further to go is a kid like Nick Fitzgerald.

These are great, GREAT college quarterbacks. But they're not great NFL quarterback prospects.

As for Tanner Lee, he's still throwing too many bad interceptions like he did at Tulane. Notice I said too many bad interceptions...not too many interceptions. He's still making throws downfield between defenders into windows that half the QB's starting in the NFL right now can't make. The great throws that translate to the next level are there. Problem is, so are the really bad ones. He just needs to eliminate the really bad ones and he'll be fine. Still not comfortable in the offense quite yet.

Interceptions thrown in college are one of the poorest indicators for how a QB translates to the NFL there is. Otherwise, Matt Ryan and Robert Griffin would have the other's NFL career. Interception don't mean anything without context...and a lot of it. I remember everybody trying to tell me how bad Matt Ryan sucked coming out of college...because he threw 19 interceptions. But you couldn't tell 'em nothing about Robert Griffin. He was going to be great...only threw 6 int's to 37 TD's on his way to the Heisman Trophy.

Just watched Sam Darnold throw a pick six....on a perfect throw that hit his receiver right in the hands. Context.

Agree about context. I saw that as well. The Allen snapshot was just there b/c it was available. Allen has just about everything you're looking for in a QB, mentally and physically, but his accuracy is poor and that issue shows up every game. Which means he'll still be drafted high by someone that thinks they can improve that aspect. I think we both know that you are either an accurate passer or you're not. Allen is not.

It's an old club in the NFL and many are fixated on their interpretation of what a QB prototype should look like instead of adapting and evolving offenses to fit the great strengths of certain talent. This goes for many of the concepts you are seemingly knocking Jackson for (and yes he has a ways to go) despite their ability to be successful in the NFL. Reid just ran a clinic on NE's defense featuring a few handfuls of collegiate concepts that people say that can't be done at the NFL level. As for another, numerous quality NFL QBs have used RPOs for years now.

Just how the molds for NFL defenders have evolved, the same can and needs to be done for NFL QBs as well. Too much QB talent is being wasted and too many resources have been spent on pretending the traditional QB prototype model is the only way to go. That's the only reason some believe that they're not great NFL quarterback prospects. And even worse, should be moved to WR or another positional change.

I disagree that Allen isn't an accurate passer. He wouldn't throw so many interceptions if he wasn't accurate. He's an inconsistent passer, for several reasons...but he's not an inaccurate passer.

Lamar Jackson isn't an accurate passer. His throws are so far off many times that nobody can get to it.

I'll draft Lamar Jackson and try to make a weapon out of him as a receiver. I have no interest in him as a quarterback at the next level.

I'll take Josh Allen and leave Lamar Jackson for whoever wants him every time. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough. For the record I'm not sold on Jackson, but Allen is an actual turn off for me as I do believe he is an inaccurate passer.

Thanks for your time. I always appreciate your insight.

Watching these guys week after week and none of them look that elite to me.

They all lack something that makes them just seem blah. Maybe it's me, I don't know but none of them are better than last years crop.

So you think Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were better prospects than Darnold, Allen and Rosen are now?

I watched Josh Allen's game against Iowa and I was pretty disappointed, I have to admit. The disappointment wasn't so much that he couldn't get things going when his team was clearly overwhelmed. The disappointment was that I felt like he let the dominance creep into his own game. It really only took one quarter for him to lose patience and stop operating the offense. Given how much they're ovewhelmed, it's understandable if that happens, but after one quarter of a close ball game? He needs better patience. There was also his mis-handling of the pocket and his starting to react to ghosts. Again, if you're being overwhelmed, this happens. But I can't like it.

It just felt like it didn't take much for him to fall into some of his worst habits from a year ago, and call me crazy I was actually hoping to see PROGRESS from 2016 to 2017. That's not necessarily what I've seen. Even against Gardner-Webb.

It's a long season and it's not close to done yet. Progress can be made. Cam Newton wasn't within sight of the #1 overall pick at this point of the 2010 season. I remember that vividly.

That said I have to tell you that as a Miami Dolphins fan I have mostly been excited as hell about the start to Josh Allen's season. There wasn't any way in hell that Miami was going to get a swipe at Allen unless this exact thing happened.

And the damage may already be done because he's already played Iowa and Oregon, and didn't have good results against either. He's not going to get a ton of credit as he plays teams like Hawaii, Texas State, San Jose State, etc. That snapshot statistics graphic will hold a lot of power in NFL circles, whether it should or should not.

So this guy is IN Miami's cross hairs. Adam Gase hates quarterbacks from the spread. Hates in strongest of terms. This guy Josh Allen executes pro concepts. Adam Gase also was quite obvious in how he held a candle for Jay Cutler, a gunslinger with a reputation for throwing the football game away whose decision-making Gase was charged with harnessing in Chicago, and again in Miami. He taught Cutler better ways to manage the NFL pocket, deal with pressure, and remain patient and efficient in decision-making. Do that with Josh Allen and you've got one hell of a quarterback.

Here's a look at a kid in a pro style system completing only 55 percent of his passes, throwing balls that are uncatchable, throwing a pair of interceptions and trying his damnedest to throw a few more, taking sacks left and right, looking overwhelmed in a bad loss.

I dunno, maybe a 6th round flier or something.

Last edited:
I do know Miami had scouts at that Oregon game, hopefully to watch Josh Allen. I still haven’t lost faith in the kid even with his bad play the start of the season. Hoping all those other teams that are going to have a top pick got turned off by his game and he falls right in Miami’s lap.

Back
Top Bottom