Slimm's Seniors | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's Seniors

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
I’ll talk a little bit about some underrated Seniors that I feel warrant anywhere from mid-late round grades, to UDFA status. Some of 'em 99% of people have never even heard of... much less seen. However, I think these are just a few at each position that I believe could outperform their draft positioning, whether it's as a mid-later rounder or UDFA. A lot of 'em I've already mentioned back in the summer and prior to the season in my 2014 Senior thread.

Quarterback:
1. Keith Wenning / Ball St. - I think he has starting potential at the next level.
2. Jeff Mathews / Cornell - Small school, bad team, huge arm, good mobility. Asked to carry his offense week in and weekout.

Runningback:
1. Sirgregory Thornton / Arkansas St. - Surely a UDFA. Doesn’t get many carries for some reason behind Michael Gordon, and former Tennessee transfer David Oku. Averaged over 8 yards per carry as a Junior in Gus Malzahn’s offense during his brief stint with the RedWolves. Averages nearly 7 yards per carry for his career…. Solidly built at 5’11”, 215 pounds.
2. Vintavious Cooper / East Carolina – Excellent receiver out of the backfield.
3. Carlton Koonce / Fordham
4. Marcus Washington / Nicholls St. – Was lost for season in October with a knee injury, but another small school back with excellent size. One of the best pass catching backs out of the backfield that I’ve seen this year. Caught 11 passes for 92 yards out of the backfield against a top-5 Oregon team to open the season.
5. Branden Oliver / Buffalo – Built like a fire hydrant. Workhorse for MAC team….even against big time (SEC, etc.) competition. Reminds me a little bit of Bobby Rainey coming out of Western Kentucky.
6. James Sims / Kansas – Led Big-12 in rushing this year. Finished second in the Big-12 in rushing only behind Joseph Randle last year as a Junior.
7. Waymon James / TCU – Dismissed from team for breaking team rules earlier this season. Suffered season ending knee injury last year in the third game of the season. Has been the most talented back on TCU’s roster since he arrived on campus in my opinion.

Wide Receiver:
1. Alex Amidon / Boston College
2. Bernard Reedy / Toledo
3. Eric Thomas / Troy
4. Albert Wilson / Georgia St.
5. Isaiah Burse / Fresno St.
6. Brelan Chancellor / North Texas – Does it all for the Mean Green. Has a chance to make it as a slot receiver at the next level. Go back to his Junior film from last year against LSU… smoked Eric Reid in single coverage for over 28 yards/catch and 2 touchdowns.
7. Jeff Janis / Saginaw Valley St. – Looks like Jordy Nelson 2.0
8. Kofi Hughes / Indiana
9. Kevin Norwood / Alabama – Most clutch receiver we’ve had since Julio. Always the most prepared, and shows his best when given the opportunity in the biggest games against the best competition.
10. Bennie Fowler / Michigan St.
11. Chandler Jones / San Jose St. – One of David Fales’ favorite targets. Hauled in 26 touchdown receptions over the past 2 seasons.

Tight End:
1. Justin Jones / East Carolina
2. Arthur Lynch / Georgia
3. Crockett Gillmore / Colorado St.
4. Ted Bolser / Indiana

Offensive Tackle:
1. Bryce Quigley / San Diego St. – Former TE. Extremely athletic. Upside.
Offensive Guard:
1. Mason Walters / Texas – Experienced technician. Knows what he’s doing. Watch the Longhorns run power right behind him time and time again.
Center:
1. Jonatthan Harrison / Florida

Defensive Tackle:
1. Nikita Whitlock / Wake Forest – Undersized. Absolute disruptive force lined up as a “0”. Joy to watch.
2. Brent Urban / Virginia – Opposite of Whitlock in that his body is a prototype. Bats down passes like J.J. Watt at the line of scrimmage…..not nearly that caliber of player or pass rusher though.

Defensive End/OLB:
1. Larry Webster / Bloomsburg – NFL bloodlines…father is former NFL player Larry Webster Sr. Has the length that the NFL loves in pass rushers at 6’6”, 240pounds. Rushes from a 2 point stance, and with hand on the ground alternating between 6/7 techniques. Tremendous athlete….was named PSAC East DPOY in basketball for the 2011-2012 season, the first year of the award. Also played TE.
2. Chidera Uzo-Diribe / Colorado – Only player I see that can play defense for Colorado. Has forced 9 fumbles, 30.5 TFL’s, and 18.5 sacks as a weakside terror.
3. Walker May / Vanderbilt – I’ve watched him since he was in high school here for Briarwood Christian.
4. Shaquil Barrett / Colorado St.
5. J.R. Collins / Virginia Tech
6. Kasim Edebali / Boston College

Linebacker:
1. Eddie Lackey / Baylor – One of the kids I’ve previously mentioned prior to the season in my 2014 Senior thread. Just intercepted a Blake Bortles pass in the Fiesta Bowl as I typed this…..
2. D.D. Lattimore / South Florida
3. Jack Tyler / Virginia Tech – Former walk-on that is always one of the best ILB’s I see on film.
4. Avery Williamson / Kentucky

Cornerback:
1. Marcus Williams / North Dakota St.
2. Pierre Desir / Lindenwood
3. Ricardo Allen / Purdue

Safety:
1. Tre Boston / North Carolina
2. Isaiah Lewis / Michigan St.
3. Alden Darby / Arizona St.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could add Connor Shaw to the QB list. The guy moves well, runs the ball hard, nice arm, accurate, and won a lot of games in the SEC.

You could add Connor Shaw to the QB list. The guy moves well, runs the ball hard, nice arm, accurate, and won a lot of games in the SEC.

I think Connor Shaw means as much to his team as any quarterback in the country. However, I don't think he has anywhere near the starting potential in the NFL as the two quarterbacks I listed here. His ceiling is as a backup at the next level in my opinion. Has trouble staying healthy in college due to his style of play... it doesn't get better for him in the NFL. Short and lacks the arm strength.

You should add jimmy garrappolo (EIU) to the qb list. 53 TDs is 53 TDs no matter what division it is. Broke all of Romo's records at EIU. His #1 receiver Erik Lora should also be considered. He broke Jerry rice's NCAA record for career receptions this year.

LB:
Preston Brown, big physical moves well, anchored Charlie Strong's D.

QB:
Tom Savage, Pitt, suffered derailment under Schiano at Rutgers as sophomore after a fantastic freshman season, prolific passer with NFL size and smarts. Want him in round 4 for the Phins. One of the must draft prospects imo. (has a little bit of wind up, has not played in 2 years prior to 2013)

S:
Avery Patterson, Oregon, a bit undersized but very active.

???

Jimmy Garoppolo was underrated several months ago... he's not anymore. The hype is deserved, and caught up with his talent among the draft community months ago. He's a solid mid-rounder in the 95-105 range overall on my board currently.

Preston Brown isn't nearly as underrated as the linebackers that I mentioned here. His stock has been steady for almost 2 years now.

Tom Savage is a decent call as a late rounder/UDFA. Has the size and arm that the NFL covets. I think he actually possesses starting caliber physical tools. Needs further development with processing information faster. He'll get that in the NFL as he sits and learns. I like him a lot more than a kid like Connor Shaw in terms of a quarterback to develope.

Avery Patterson is a good call at safety.

Although I didn't mention them specifically here, Bowling Green WR Shaun Joplin, and Ohio WR Donte Foster are two more. The point is, these are just a few that I believe are just entirely underrated players. A kid like Tom Savage looked like a future pro as a freshman for Rutgers before his college career got sidetracked. He was a 4-star recruit that was always on the radar. Most of these kids that made my list here weren't.

Whitlock was a bright spot in an otherwise dismal season for the Deacs. Undersized but physical and passionate player. He will be sorely missed in Winston-Salem.

Thoughts on Campanaro, slimm?

Whitlock was a bright spot in an otherwise dismal season for the Deacs. Undersized but physical and passionate player. He will be sorely missed in Winston-Salem.

Thoughts on Campanaro, slimm?

I think he might make a roster and contribute as a slot receiver. I had him as a Tier 3 prospect among Senior WR's heading into the season.

If I were to have made a more comprehensive list of Senior mid-late round - UDFA type receivers that I like personally, in addition to what I already listed here.... it would look a little bit like this:

L'Damian Washington / Missouri

Alex Neutz / Buffalo

Darryl Surgent / UL-Lafayette

Greg Hardin / North Dakota

Noel Grigsby / San Jose St.

Colin Lockett / San Diego St.

Derel Walker / Texas A&M

Kevin Ozier / Arizona St.

Tavarese Maye / UL-Monroe

Anthony McClung / Cincinnati

Jaz Reynolds / Oklahoma

Michael Campanaro / Wake Forest

Tim Smith / Virginia

Tramaine Thompson / Kansas St.

Quincy Enunwa / Nebraska

Tracy Moore / Oklahoma St.

Marcus Lucas / Missouri

Allen Hurns / Miami

Seantavious Jones / Valdosta St.

Jeremy Gallon / Michigan

Ryan Grant / Tulane

Javontee Herndon / Arkansas

Shaquelle Evans / UCLA

Solomon Patton / Florida

Then I have a list of Seniors that I consider top-100 talent graded anywhere from 1st Round - 3rd Round. Kids like Jordan Matthews, Jared Abbrederis, Jalen Saunders, T.J. Jones, Robert Herron, etc.

I'm a big fan of Shaq Evans, and Tracy Moore for our offense. I like Enunwa too, he catches everything great athlete, physical, 10TD, 650 yards in Nebraska offense is impressive, but I have not seen enough to say whether he is explosive--if he is, he is a beast potential. Hard to evaluate in the Nebraska offense.

I think he might make a roster and contribute as a slot receiver. I had him as a Tier 3 prospect among Senior WR's heading into the season.

If I were to have made a more comprehensive list of Senior mid-late round - UDFA type receivers that I like personally, in addition to what I already listed here.... it would look a little bit like this:

L'Damian Washington / Missouri

Alex Neutz / Buffalo

Darryl Surgent / UL-Lafayette

Greg Hardin / North Dakota

Noel Grigsby / San Jose St.

Colin Lockett / San Diego St.

Derel Walker / Texas A&M

Kevin Ozier / Arizona St.

Tavarese Maye / UL-Monroe

Anthony McClung / Cincinnati

Jaz Reynolds / Oklahoma

Michael Campanaro / Wake Forest

Tim Smith / Virginia

Tramaine Thompson / Kansas St.

Quincy Enunwa / Nebraska

Tracy Moore / Oklahoma St.

Marcus Lucas / Missouri

Allen Hurns / Miami

Seantavious Jones / Valdosta St.

Jeremy Gallon / Michigan

Ryan Grant / Tulane

Javontee Herndon / Arkansas

Shaquelle Evans / UCLA

Solomon Patton / Florida

Then I have a list of Seniors that I consider top-100 talent graded anywhere from 1st Round - 3rd Round. Kids like Jordan Matthews, Jared Abbrederis, Jalen Saunders, T.J. Jones, Robert Herron, etc.

Thoughts on Erik Lora (EIU)?

How do you feel Whitlock projects in the NFL Slimm?? He is so undersized, yet it seems like he is in the backfield on almost every play when I've seen him. The kid definitely has a motor on him.

How did Larry Webster end up at Bloomsburg? Kinda odd

Another guy you could add would be Josh Huff WR from Oregon. Dude has wheels and has turned into a very nice, if smaller, player. Super speedy slot guy.

How did Larry Webster end up at Bloomsburg? Kinda odd

One word... basketball. He was a four year starter on the basketball team. I'm sure you probably remember the Dolphins drafted his dad in 1992 out of Maryland. The family is from the northeast and their roots are based in that region. Jr. wasn't a highly recruited football player out of high school. Football at Bloomsburg was basically just a decision he made on a whim. The question teams will have to find out is how much he loves football before they spend a draft pick on him. There's no question his physical talent and athleticism allow him to standout like a sore thumb at that level.

How do you feel Whitlock projects in the NFL Slimm?? He is so undersized, yet it seems like he is in the backfield on almost every play when I've seen him. The kid definitely has a motor on him.

It's difficult to project him. It's obvious that a 5'11", 260 pound kid is not going to start at DT in the NFL like he did in the ACC. At the same time, kids like this are the one's that I pull for the hardest. They get the most out of their ability... to the point they dominate entire football games on their own. While other kids who are the prototype can't make a play to save their life.

Whitlock is in the same boat as a kid like Roosevelt Nix for Kent St.... who I've raved about since he was a true freshman. Same thing though.... 5'11', 260 pound starter at DT in the MAC that has been unblockable his entire career. Even as a true freshman he had 20 TFL's, 9 sacks, forced 4 fumbles, and blocked 2 kicks. However, what really got my attention was watching him personally against Alabama's offensive line in the season opener of his sophomore season. He wrecked Alabama's offensive line every single play he was on the field. Guys that were on their way to the NFL... and Nix was flat out too much for them to handle.

Nix and Whitlock have a built in leverage advantage. But that alone doesn't allow them to dominate the way that they do. It's the insane quickness off the ball and relentless effort, combined with the natural leverage advantage that allows them to dominate. Nix should be on this list also.

My feeling is that I just want to see kids like Nix and Whitlock get a chance. They've proven they can play the game, and dominate against superior competition.

Back
Top Bottom